I think what you probably have is an 11 bit data word - 8 bits of data + 1
parity bit + 1 stop + 1 stop.  I have used a PC with an 8250 UART to do this
with odd parity under DOS and UNIX.  Its mainly just knowing what you have
to set the UART properly an making sure the driver supports it (which LINUX
does). I currently have a 9 bit with odd parity application running on RH4.2

-