Linux-Setup Digest #16, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 10:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Sound on Omnibook laptop. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  User Access to Hard Drive Partition ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  [JOB] Debian installer needed near Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
  PPP problems!!! PLease help!!! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gateway/Proxy server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  video card setup(Alliance Promotion 6422) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  POST Method not Allowed??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Hey, can anyone help me? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  how to install from ftp server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  POST Method not Allowed??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  A consistent kernel crash error ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to start X automatically on power-up ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Netscape font is too small ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Using Performer 2.3 with Linux and GeForce 256 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  kppp ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  MP3 player makes a lot of noise ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is it possible to have a fax and modem on the same line? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Installing Dependantcies with rpm ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Configuration of sound card yamaha724 (linux6.0) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Mandrake 7.1 Install Problem "could not mount a CD" using 1542cf
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Where are WU FTP log files ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux/Windows Cohabitation Problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  installing Caldera Openlinux on windows NT ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  does linux work with windows 98 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Is there a release of linux supporting DMA66? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  is there a port to windows media player? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Powerd client for other systems? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  lilo, 2nd hard drive, Promise ATA66 controller ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sound on Omnibook laptop.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:06 GMT

From: "William C. Mount" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I recently aquired an HP Omnibook 4150.  It has a Neomagic 256V
soundcard.  does anyone have any info on setting these up under
 redhat
6.2  anyhelp would be great!!

Thanks
Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: User Access to Hard Drive Partition
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ad the "rw" to give it read write access.

 /dev/hda1                /mnt/ide              ext2  user,noauto,rw
 0
0

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [JOB] Debian installer needed near Ft. Lauderdale, Florida.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Andrew E. Schulman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> This is one of the stranger postings I've seen in newsgroups.

Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PPP problems!!! PLease help!!!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: Iain Gray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

suresh ramachandran wrote:

> hi .
>
> PPP dies on me saying :
>
> "couldnt find any secret(password) which would let it use an IP
 address"

> is this something to do with default route?
> should i add something to /etc/ppp/options?
>
> please help ....

If this is coming from your server then it is using pap or chap.

If you are trying to connect to an isp then this is for you.

http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

It is difficult to see what your problem is without the full info.

Cheers

Iain

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Gateway/Proxy server
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: Mikey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sciamachy wrote:

> Now, for the next step, what I want to do is this: Say my
> wife is sat at her machine, doing her thing, and she wants
> to get on the internet. At the moment, all she can do (she
> doesn't have her own modem) is, assuming I'm already dialled
> in from my Linux box, telnet into her account on my machine,
> and fire up lynx, pine, BitchX or whatever. What I want is
> for her to be able to click on Internet Explorer in Win95,
> and it fire up in such a way that it'll try to route all its
> requests for web pages, ftp, etc, through my Linux box. When
> it does that, I need it to check to see if it has ppp up,
> and if so use it, and if not, dial my ISP - all without her
> having to telnet in or anything. Also, I want to be able to
> share files between the two computers and OSs.

Whilst I have never done this in Linux, only in FreeBSD, but you will
have to use NAT (Network Address Translation).  Since you are using
Mandrake 7, kernel 2.2.14, it should work.  Check out
http://www.csn.tu-chemnitz.de/HyperNews/get/linux-ip-nat.html

Let me know if it works for you.

--
Since-beer-leekz,
Mikey

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: video card setup(Alliance Promotion 6422)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: "Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for replying to me.But the page is not the clockchip's
 setting.
If no clockchip setting,Xwindows will be run unsuccessfully.
Do you have other way?

"Alexander K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> http://www.xfree86.org/4.0/Status4.html#4
>
> On Sun, 18 Jun 2000 01:11:05 +0800, "Alex" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >My video card is Alliance Promotion 6422.But I don't know its
 Ramdac and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: POST Method not Allowed???
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charles A. Clark)

I'm trying to do some web app. development and my Apache/1.3.12
 Server
reports to the browser that I am not allowed to use the POST method.

Can anyone tell me where I might be able to change this setting
 within the
server config.

Tony Clark

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Hey, can anyone help me?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: LinuxGrooverBoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Rich wrote:

> Does anyone know of a better defrag program because it took me just
 over a
> couple of hours using the standard windows program. It says that
 I'll need
> to uninstall the windows swap file and then reinstall it
 afterwards.

My DOS defrag took a couple of hours to do a full defrag of an 850 Mb
disk.
I use the options "defrag /f /h c:" which requests a full defrag
 including
hidden files. Having said that, it didn't move the windows swap file.
So I had to remove the swap, fully defrag, then replace the swap
 file.

Don't forget to save the root and boot sectors with FIPS, when it
 asks.
You can get your system back to the point prior to partitioning with
the "restorrb" prog. So if after installing Linux you decide to
 restart,
just restorrb and Linux will have vanished :-(

> Sorry to be a pain with all these questions but as I'm sure you've
 already
> guessed I'm really new to this and it's getting late here.
> Anyway thanks for any help

I don't know a single Linux user that has managed to partition,
 install
and configure the thing without assistance!!!

lgb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how to install from ftp server
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just use the net.img (or whatever) as it will boot with support for
 most
NICs and start the install process. Most distros will then ask you
 about
NFS/FTP etc.

No harm in trying ...

Buchan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: Michael Nadler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Charles A. Clark" wrote:

> I'm trying to do some web app. development and my Apache/1.3.12
 Server
> reports to the browser that I am not allowed to use the POST
 method.

> Can anyone tell me where I might be able to change this setting
 within the
> server config.
>
> Tony Clark

In Slackware 7, the apache configuration file is at
/var/lib/apache/conf/httpd.conf -- it has fairly decent internal
 comments for
how to turn on CGI thingies.

If you're running some other Linux, there's always: find / -name
"htttpd.conf"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: A consistent kernel crash error
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Iway Wu)

What does the following error mean?  Lately, Linux has been crashing
on me daily and the /var/log/messages file always has this type of
 error:

> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Unable to handle kernel NULL
 pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 0b11c000,
 %cr3 = 0b11c000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: *pde = 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Oops: 0000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: CPU:    1
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: EIP:    0010:[<00000000>]
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: EFLAGS: 00010202
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: eax: 00000000   ebx: c022160c
 ecx: 00000000   edx: cabe7fc4
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: esi: 00000001   edi: 00000004
 ebp: 00000000   esp: cabe7f74
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: ds: 0018   es: 0018   ss: 0018
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Process setiathome (pid: 1479,
 process nr: 46, stackpage=cabe7000)
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Stack: 00000000 cabe7fc4
 00000000 c022160c c025a000 00000000 c0110179 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel:        cabe7fc4 c022160c
 cabe7fc4 00010000 00000002 cabe7fbc c010b66d 00000000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel:        cabe7fc4 40d4403c
 bffff868 c010a6b0 40d4403c 0000a98f 0000a98d 00010000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Call Trace:
 [do_edge_ioapic_IRQ+113/155] [do_IRQ+59/89] [common_interrupt+24/32]

> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: Code: <1>Unable to handle kernel
 NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000
> 000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: current->tss.cr3 = 0b11c000,
 %cr3 = 0b11c000
> Jan 12 17:25:21 bullwinkle kernel: *pde = 00000000

I've checked the SCSI setup and just replaced the memory with a new
Registered SDRAM chip (it's a GX motherboard).  I still get the same
type of errors.  I have 2 CPUs and the error occurs on either one.
 My
guess is the motherboard but there are no error beep codes on
 startup.

Thanks in advance.
Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to start X automatically on power-up ?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, CKTong wrote:
>I have problem with X resolution on my box with Intel i810 chipset.
>The problem is solved now after obtaining some instruction from
 Intel
>web site.
>But I can't start X automatically. How to configurate such that I
 can
>start X on power up ? I a using Redhat 6.2.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.
>
>TQ
>
>CK
Hi
 login as root of su
 edit /etc/inittab
 replaceid:3:initdefault: (default startup in tekstmode)
  with   id:5:initdefault: (default startup in X mode)
--
Good Luck
Patricia

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
 12:32am  up  2:01,  1 user,  load average: 1.22, 1.24, 1.19
Tue Jun 27 00:32:08 CEST 2000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Netscape font is too small
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Get the mozilla fonts (look for them on http://www.mandrakeuser.org),
 or get
drakfont (look under mandrake 7.0 cooker at http://www.rpmfind.net)
 which, if you
have win9x installed, will allow you to import some or all of your
 windows fonts.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Using Performer 2.3 with Linux and GeForce 256
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Kevin Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am trying to use IRIS Performer 2.3 on RedHat Linux 6.2 on a Dell
 PIII
1GHz w/NVidia GeForce 256.  I was wondering exactly how to go about
installing the right drivers from NVidia so that they work with
Performer.  I installed Performer after just installing RedHat, and
 got
a framerate of 4Hz without textures running the town_ogl.perfly in
perfly.  I'm assuming this isn't using the hardware acceleration, so
 if
someone knows how to get a GeForce working well in Linux I would
appreciate you letting me know how you did it.

Thanks,
Kevin Brown
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: kppp
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:11 GMT

From: Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, RP wrote:
>Could anyone point this newbie in the correct direction as to why I
 am
>getting a message saying script timed out whenever I hit the connect
 button
>?
>
>Do I need to setup a script ?
>
>Thanks
>Russell
Russell
does your provider supports PAP or CHAP
If he uses PAP you don't need to setup a script.
you probably set kppp to use CHAP or a script

goto
setup ->account ->edit->authentication->PAP
more info at
http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux/

--
Good Luck
Patricia
ICQ 69588792

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
 12:45am  up  2:15,  1 user,  load average: 1.56, 1.27, 1.20
Tue Jun 27 00:45:59 CEST 2000

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MP3 player makes a lot of noise
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just because your cd-rom plays CDs fine through your soundcard does
 not
mean your sound card is set up, since remember, you attached an audio
 cable
from your CD-ROM to your sound card !

Run sndconfig (Redhat) or lothar (mandrake 7.0 or later) or your
 distros
sound/hardware set up tool

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Is it possible to have a fax and modem on the same line?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Si Ballenger)

If your modem or fax supports distinctive ring, you can use this
(~$3/mo) to direct the calls. There are devices that will listen
to the sound and switch the line to the appropriate device
(~$100).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installing Dependantcies with rpm
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"rpm -qip pack_file_name" should give you a list of deps

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Configuration of sound card yamaha724 (linux6.0)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Options (any linux distro):
1)Get a new sound card
2)There are commercial binary drivers available from OSS (sorry, I
 don't have a
url), which work for something like 2 hours if you don't buy them,
 and cost
more than your soundcard if you want to run them plermanently.
3)Wait until Yamaha is kind enough to release info for people to
 write drivers,
or releases their own drivers
4)Write drivers yourself and become a hero to every linux user with a
YMF724-based card.

Your graphics problem is a whole other story. Maybe you should
 convince your
friend to swap systems with you ;-)

Buchan

"Vemu.Anjaneyulu" wrote:

> hi sir,
>    I,v.anjaneyulu,am having problem with sound configuration.
>    previously i had redht linux 6.0 installed on my
 system(celeron-433,64mb

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandrake 7.1 Install Problem "could not mount a CD" using 1542cf
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You can get to a console using CTRL-ALT-(1-6) and try fix it from
 there. Have you
tried booting from a floppy (I can't remember if the other images
 might have
support for more scsi devices). Have you checked that mandrake
 supports your scsi
controller. Check at http://www.linux-mandrake.com

Buchan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Where are WU FTP log files
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am not sure if this is the best newsgroup to post this (there
 aren't
any newsgrousp devoted to WU FTP), so I am going to ask it here.

Where is the canonical place where the WU FTP log files are stored? I
checked the /etc/ftpaccess file and the only thing related to the log
files are as follows:

log security anonymous,real
log commands real
log transfers anonymous,real inbound,outbound

I don't use WU FTP that often and I am administrating a server that
uses it.

- Steve

======================================
If you want to send me an email, send it to:
steve{at_sign}tripperjones{dot_com}

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux/Windows Cohabitation Problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

You should be able to fix all by booting from a windows floppy and
 running :
a:\>sys c:

Note, this will only work if you can get to your c-drive after
 booting from a
windows/dos floppy, which you should be able to do.

Buchan

A J Wilson wrote:

> Hi
>
> My old man installed Mandrake 7 on his PC recently but in the
 process caused
> a problem with Windows so it no longer recognises his C Drive.
>
> He has two hard drives on the PC. One being reserved for Windows
 (/dev/hda)
> and the other for Linux (/dev/hdc).  However, when he was
 installing Lilo,
> instead of putting it on /dev/hda he put it on /dev/hda1 which is
 his
> Windows C drive.  So now his C drive is no longer recognisable by
 Windows or

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: installing Caldera Openlinux on windows NT
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: does linux work with windows 98
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

What do you mean by this ? Web server, FTP server, telnet, SQL, NFS,
 Netware,
or SMB(Network Neighborhood / LANManager)

I assume you mean SMB. You need to have samba installed, and need to
 edit your
configuration file. You need to give us more info, as different
 distros need
their files in different places and have different packages.

For redhat/mandrake:
packages: samba, samba-common (samba-client if you need to access
 files on
"clients")
config file :/etc/smb.conf

For more info on the config file, try "man smb.conf"

Buchan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to turn on remote root login?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Not sure, but you might want to edit the file /etc/securetty (can't
 check
now, running windows) Uncomment the line of a terminal you want to be
 able to
log in from as root.

Is there any reason you can't log in as a normal user and the "su" ?

Buchan

Kheng-Teong Goh wrote:

> Kheng-Teong Goh wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > How do I turn on remote root login? And how do I turn it off?
 Thanks in
> > advance.
>
> OK. I found out how to turn on and off remote root login for
 Slackware.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Is there a release of linux supporting DMA66?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mandrake has supported it from 7.0 I am currently in post-install of
 7.1
on a machine with a HPT366 udma controller, but running into some
 minor
problems. The install, though, wnet very well.

Manrake uses a patched-stable kernel, and also support the resierFS

Buchan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: is there a port to windows media player?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: "Daniel Klimkowski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I need to know if there is a port of Windows media player to Linux or
anything that emulates it.  I'm wanting it so that I can stream audio
 from
online radio stations and most of them require Windows Media Player.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: Tom Adams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I failed, while you succeeded at compiling an object file.  I
 downloaded
the compat.h file, and something to do with pci-scan, but only got
 three
pages of error messages from gcc.  I also used a dos2unix utility.

If you could give me a cookbook explanation of what you did,
I would be much indebted.  I am new to Linux and am obviously
missing something important.  I am using Mandrake 7.0 and
suspect that gcc can't find my source and header files.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Powerd client for other systems?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:12 GMT

From: "news.compuserve.com" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

    Has anybody seen a powerd client for non-Linux systems, in
 particular
Windows NT/2000 systems?  I'd like to run several machines from a
 single
UPS, but the machines are a mix of Linux and Windows 2000 machines.
 I know
the Linux machine can act as a powerd server, signaling the other
 machines
when there's a change in the UPS status, but I can't seem to find a
 powerd
client.  I found one reference on Deja to a client at
http://www.brianweb.dyn.ez-ip.net/~brian/ntpowerd/, but that link
 doesn't
seem to work; the browser times out trying to connect to the server.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: lilo, 2nd hard drive, Promise ATA66 controller
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:13 GMT

From: Steve Grimes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Has anyone gotten another OS, like Win98, to boot
off of their 2nd hard drive in their computer
while using a Promise ATA66 controller card? If
so could you send me some tips on what to include
in my /etc/lilo.conf file to allow lilo to see the
2nd hard drive.

I've got my primary IBM drive on "hde" and my
2nd Western Digital hard drive on "hdg". I am
able to pass the kernel parameters on bootup
so that it can see the 2nd drive and it does.
I can mount that 2nd drive also, but I've been
unsuccessful in getting Win98 to boot off of it.

Copy of my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hde
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux

disk=/dev/hdg
bios=0x81

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hde6

other=/dev/hdg1
        label=win98
        loader=/boot/chain.b
        table=/dev/hdg

Thanks,
Steve G.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest