From: "Jan Oberländer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with RH6.1 and SBLive!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:13:58 +0100

In article <8uhd99$97q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "D. Bell"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have recently installed RedHat Linux 6.1 on my WindowsMe box at home.
> I was able to successfully get my ppp working last night (had to use
> external modem), but I still can't get my sound card to work.  It's a
> SoundBlaster Live Value PCI. Is there a configuration utility (GUI) that
> does this, or do I need to somehow set this manually? If anyone can give
> me some direction, I'd appreciate it. Thanks,

Have you tried sndconfig?

Jan

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Was: can't ... REMOUNT; now: making boot
Date: 11 Nov 2000 15:06:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: In <8uh4bc$tee$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 11/10/00=20
:    at 03:30 PM, "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
:>Well, you don't need ANY base of operations. You just need your file
:>system.

: Yeah, as if having a file system weren't a base of operations!

It's THE base of operations. Not ANY.

: I don't -- make that 'didn't' -- have a file system!

You said you did.

: up here -- I have a boot partition which I happen to call 'the boot
: partition'. Perhaps this linguistic usage is confusing you?

Yes it is. A boot partition is a small space of 16MB or so that
contains a kernel image. It is placed low down on the disk to serve
as a jumping/jumpable point for the bios. It has no special
attribute other than its position. It can even be raw, if you are
clever about it.

:>Do you mean something else by the term? Such as "the partition on which =
:>keep the boot sector that takes me to the kernel image of choice"?

: If you prefer this fa=E7on de parler, yes.

Where you put the boot sector is up to you.=20

:>partition. Check all its bits and pieces are in place. Sounds like
:>something pretty fundamental is awry there. Such as not having a shell.
:>Or not having a console, or no etc or no dev. Etc. etc. Run the init
:>scripts one by one until you find out what's broken.

: Ok, this is roughly equivalent to telling me something's wrong with my
: system, a fact I was already painfully aware of.

: I was looking for help in diagnosis and remedy.

You got it. There is no magic wand. No expert would do any more than go
look, and if the missing piece were not obvious, such as the things I
mentioned, then would run the init scripts one by one, by hand, and find
the point of error that way. It's called "debugging".

: I've solved it though:

:>Or don't - reinstall the partition from your backups, or whatever you
:>installed it from.

: I backed up the problematic partition (a lot of free space on my HD) and
: reinstalled the base system; I could use bits and pieces of the backup t=
: reinstall or simply copy over my own stuff; I'm pretty much back in
: business but no wiser.=20

OK.

: I have an inkling what triggered the problem in the first place, a
: particular dumb move on my part, but I don't understand why it led to al=

And what is it?

: the effects or how to recover if I should ever find myself in that spot
: again.

:>: (A) I keep examining the appropriate files (lilo.conf, fstab) and I do=
n't
:>: see any irregularities but I'm still studying them.

:>What makes you think those have anything to do with it? You have to have
:>a reason!

: I practice 'filename magic' -- their names have 'f' in them like my name=
!=20

OK.

: Look, thanks for trying to help. From your tone, I see I've exhausted yo=
ur
: patience, and for my part, let's just say that I appreciate your wanting

You haven't exhausted my patience for helping. You've exhausted my
patience for trying to get usable information out of you. The remedy
for that is to give the info!

Peter

------------------------------

From: Matthew Matchura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: If I switch to Mandrake 7.2, will I take a hit?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:32:09 -0800

a l t e r i t y wrote:

> Well I have been playing around with 7.2 for a few days now on a
> macine similar to yours, and I think it is a shit distribution,
> probably the worst I have used in 5 years of playing with Linux. I
> have had no end of problems.
>
> "nemo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I run an AMD K6-2 400 with 60MB RAM, and 4MB shared RAM. With so little
> >resources, is it worth my while switching, as I've read that X-window app.s,
> >and window managers can be resource hogs. Is my system's performnce likely
> >to improve, suffer, or remain unchanged after a switch from Win98SE to MDK
> >7.2?
> >

> --
> alterity
> canberra: the penetralia of australia

        Hmmm, what sort of problems?
        I loaded it from the ISO's that I downloaded last week adn it has been working
fine since.  I had only one configuration that it set up wrong (sound card was
set to the wrong IRQ), but that was a 30 second fix.
        I am running an AMD K7-650, 256 MB RAM, Maxtor 30 GB HD.

--
>^..^<
Matt

Remove the NO_SPAM to reply via email.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry McBride)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: backups via NFS
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:19:45 GMT

In article <3a0bf459$3$qnivfs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

--- snip ---

>I'm having trouble with my main machine right now, darn it! Everything's
>on hold until I can boot back in.

Ooopps... you run as root, all the time? I used to do that when I was first into
linux... then after I rm'ed my root directory I figure it'd be best to start
logging in as a user... :')

>Anyway, I've got a cross-over cable with NIC in the desktop (3com) and
>some kind of no-name (popular here in Germany, I think) in the laptop.
>Unfortunately I don't have a burner yet or a tape-drive but hope to in a
>little bit, or I'll just get another HD for backup.

Hmmm... I don't have any idea how things are priced there in Germany. But here
in the US, buying an additional harddrive would probably offer the BEST bang
for the buck. It'd be faster than any of the other backup methods and if
coupled with a "removable drive bay" it'd make for a GREAT way to swap in and
out a number of different drives. I used to do just that, with scsi drives.
Since that time, I've moved over to cdr as my back up media.

>So, I guess in my case, backup should be pretty fast.

You bet!

>I thought the answer would be 'dd' but I wanted to be sure.

There's other optiosn to... if you just need to backup a certain number of
specific files.. you could do it with tar, zip, etc. You could use the current
date as part of the filename, and keep the backups in/on your backup media.

There's all kinds of options. I haven't explored them all either.... :')

Cheers.

>     We are Hugh...of Borg.  Beverly will be assimilated.  Hubba Hubba.      <
>       10:30am  up 0 days, 12:28:51, load: 27 processes, 83 threads.         <
* NetRexx - The onramp to the Internet - http://www2.hursley.ibm.com/netrexx  *
*                             ICQ# 76727806                                   *
*                    Registered Linux User Number 185956                      *

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jerry McBride)
Subject: Re: SB Live is Fuzzy!!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:19:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"David J. Topper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chris Nelson wrote:
>
>> Hello:
>> I am running RH 7.0 and when I run sndconfig it detects my card as a
>> live with EMU10000. However, whenever it plays the sound sample the
>> sound is distroted and funny? Any ideas as to what I can do?
>
>Sounds like a sample rate issue ... or 8bit vs 16bit.  I'd suggest
>getting a copy of the commercial OSS drivers.  They really do make life
>simpler.

The OSS drivers (commercial) are great and easy to set up. But before you
spend your $25.00... keep with the distributed drivers... they gotta work! :')

If you run out of options with your distribution, your next stop should be the
ALSA driver page. They work, everybit as well as all the other drivers and
carry the price of... FREE.

If you go ALSA, grab the required files and grab a copy of the install
instructions and read them all the way through. It can be a bit crytic at times
and you'll have to "just do what you're shown" a few times... but in the
end it'll all work, if you do as directed. Don't forget... the default volume
setting with the alsa drivers is... MUTE! That little secret nearly drove me
nuts as I was installing alsa here... I KNEW it should work! Everything said
it was... then stupid old me finally tuned up the master and PCM volume
slides and WHAMO! The next sound event on KDE scared the hell out me and my
cat!!!! :')

Cheers and good luck.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: 2.4 kernel?
Date: 11 Nov 2000 16:23:44 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Does the 2.4 kernel support Promise Ultra 66 card?

Yes.

# PROMISE PDC20246/PDC20262/PDC20267 support
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_PDC202XX
#   Promise Ultra33 or PDC20246
#   Promise Ultra66 or PDC20262
#   Promise Ultra100 or PDC20265/PDC20267
#
#   This driver adds up to 4 more EIDE devices sharing a single
#   interrupt. This add-on card is a bootable PCI UDMA controller. Since
#   multiple cards can be installed and there are BIOS ROM problems that
#   happen if the BIOS revisions of all installed cards (three-max) do
#   not match, the driver attempts to do dynamic tuning of the chipset
#   at boot-time for max-speed. Ultra33 BIOS 1.25 or newer is required
#   for more than one card. This card may require that you say Y to
#   "Special UDMA Feature (EXPERIMENTAL)".
#
#   If you say Y here, you need to say Y to "Use DMA by default when
#   available" as well.
#
#   Please read the comments at the top of drivers/ide/pdc202xx.c
#
#   If unsure, say N.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Racism is generally the last refuge of the unimportant."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: EXIM (Fill the gaps)
Date: 11 Nov 2000 16:34:39 GMT

Lander Gurpide <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>The default MTA in Debian Potato is EXIM and I had to answer some
>questions durin installation process. I didn't know what to answer
>exactly, so I need some help from you because my english is not good
>enough to understand some of these questions.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I can explain this any better than the
package already does, since I will necessarily have to explain it in
English. :) Also, I don't know any details of your system, so I'll have
to guess. What you should really do is find some local expert to guide
you through the process.

> What is the `visible' mail name of your system? This will appear on
>From: lines of outgoing messages.
>Enter value (default=`debian', `x' to restart):

Your e-mail address is apparently [EMAIL PROTECTED] If all users on
your system have addresses like this, you could try 'wanadoo.es'.

>Does this system have any other names which may appear on incoming
>mail messages, apart from the visible name above (debian) and
>localhost?
[...]
>Enter value (default=`none', `x' to restart):

Your machine's hostname is almost certainly not wanadoo.es. Put your
machine's hostname here, as a first approximation.

>All mail from here or specified other local machines to anywhere on
>the internet will be accepted, as will mail from anywhere on the
>internet to here.
>Are there any domains you want to relay mail for---that is, you are
>prepared to accept mail for them from anywhere on the internet, but
>they are not local domains.
[...]
>Enter value (default=`none', `x' to restart):

Say 'none' unless you know what you're doing.

[...]
>Are there any networks of local machines you want to relay mail for?
[...]
>Enter value (default=`none', `x' to restart):

Again, say 'none' unless you know what you're doing. (If you did, you
probably wouldn't be asking. :))

[...]
>Note that the RBL only works if you receive mail directly. If it is
>stored for you at your ISP, the RBL won't work as it depends on the IP
>address the connection comes from.
>Would you like to use the RBL? ('f'ilter, 'r'eject, or 'n'o)?
>Enter value (default=`n', `x' to restart):

Entirely up to you, but if you use fetchmail from your ISP (which you
probably do) then there's no point saying anything other than 'n'.

>Which machine will act as the smarthost and handle outgoing mail?
>Enter value (`x' to restart):

Type whatever your ISP told you was the name of their SMTP server.

>Mail for the `postmaster' and `root' accounts is usually redirected
>to one or more user accounts, of the actual system administrators.

Give your normal non-root username. (If you don't have one, create one
as soon as possible.)

>THANKS

No problem, but it sounds like you're going to have real problems unless
you can find an English- and Spanish-speaking expert nearby to consult.

[Non-existent newsgroup comp.os.linux.help snipped, followups to
c.o.l.setup.]

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"On Usenet, pedantry is not in the service of beauty. It's not even

------------------------------

Date: 11 Nov 2000 10:54:39 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create CDs of FTP-Dir

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Daniel Reichelt;

[...]

 DR> No, i haven't downloaded the iso-files but the content of those 6
 DR> or 7 SuSE-CDs itself.  Arent the iso-files just images of
 DR> evaluation-CDs? Daniel

No, they are the fully ready to burn disk images, nothing "Evaluation"
about them.  This is linux, and you nay have to 'rm -f' your windows
upbringing. :)  Each of those releases represents a milestone mark, and
each distributer then issues his bugfixes and such by referenceing them
as a fix or whatever for that iso milepost.

See updates.redhat.com where you will find subdirs labeled 6.2errata and
7.0errata.  Burn and install the iso, then immediately install the
contents of the errata directory for your distribution version in order
to get the latest in security fixes.  Other vendors like SuSe do similar
things I believe.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: help! Mandrake 7.2 setup hang
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:41:01 GMT

Hmmm, assuming that you have checked the md5sums of yr installation CDs
and that they are ok, then it seems that there may be an interrupt
issue.

If you have 2 CD-ROMs then try putting them on the same cable (e.g.
ide0), and the hardisks on a second cable (e.g. ide1). Leave the CDROMs
on IRQ15, and try using (or setting them in the BIOS config if u have
to) IRQ11 for the harddisk(s).

mj

In article <8uj6o4$19u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Jeepster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> HELP: Mandrake 7.2 install hang on install after
>
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on IRQ 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on IRQ 15
>
> on the  first set up screen after boot up.it simply stops the install.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> 7.1 installed ok before....
>
> cheers
>
> Jeepster

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: parallel port ZIP - can the module be autoloaded?
Date: 11 Nov 2000 16:56:09 GMT

Look at "man depmod". This seems to work for me. Get all your
modules you want in memory, then run depmod. That should take
care of the automatic loading at boot time.

-- Gene Wiggins
-- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mike Mattix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:58:09 -0600

a l t e r i t y wrote:

> Well I have been playing around with 7.2 for a few days now on a
> macine similar to yours, and I think it is a shit distribution,
> probably the worst I have used in 5 years of playing with Linux. I
> have had no end of problems.
>
> "nemo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >I run an AMD K6-2 400 with 60MB RAM, and 4MB shared RAM. With so little
> >resources, is it worth my while switching, as I've read that X-window
> >app.s, and window managers can be resource hogs. Is my system's
> >performnce likely to improve, suffer, or remain unchanged after a switch
> >from Win98SE to MDK 7.2?
> >

> --
> alterity
> canberra: the penetralia of australia

my $0.02 worth.

I have been working with Mandrake 7.2 for nearly a week now.  Except for
some things left out I have found the installation to be great, the
performance to be good, and the stability to be outstanding.

I am not running a supermachine: Abit Socket7 Mbrd, WinChip@200MHz, 128MB,
Adaptec 2930 SCSI, two old slow narrow SCSI drives (4MB and 9MB), Intel
Etherexpress NIC, Diamond Viper 128 8MB Video.  All of these are pieces
from other systems (hell the case is from a Gateway 386/16SX machine).

Works great and pretty good performance considering the chip and drives.

--
Mike Mattix
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest