Linux-Setup Digest #25, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 10:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Cannot ping localhost; just hangs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cant create a partition with disk druid?? (newbie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cannot rsh to linux box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Partitions ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux newbie Mandrake 7.1/Win95 HD install problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  modem is way too loud! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cannot rsh to linux box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Efficient 3060 ADSL and Linux - do I have a prayer? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't install kernel-source ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Sharing files ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SCSI and network card conflict? Linux refuses to boot. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cannot rsh to linux box ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cdrom mounting problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Red Hat*.kdelnk. Where is it? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  boot into linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't "make" newsx ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  modem is way too loud! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Manually starting a service on system start up. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problem on Installation of ALSA Driver 0.5.8 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  redhat kernael upgrade ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Please Help!!!  (Rajat Goon)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cannot ping localhost; just hangs
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 12:42:40 GMT, JDonner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Hi I'm a ppp user (no net card) and I can't ping localhost (I do
>have it defined).  I think I need to add it to my routing table
>somehow.  Here's some output:
>
>[root@mystery jd]# cat /etc/hosts
>127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
>127.0.0.1       mystery         mystery.localdomain

You cannot have the same IP listed twice.  But you can use any other
127.x.x.x IP instead.  Try making the second one 127.0.0.2.  Note
 that
because of multiple listings for the same IP, the lo interface below
 is
missing its IP and I am surprised that pppd works at all.

>[root@mystery jd]# ifconfig -a
>lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
>          LOOPBACK  MTU:3924  Metric:1
>          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>
>ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
>          inet addr:63.214.108.242  P-t-P:209.247.23.42
>Mask:255.255.255.255
>          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1524  Metric:1
>          RX packets:1703 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:1409 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10
>

>[root@mystery jd]# /sbin/route -n
>Kernel IP routing table
>Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
 Use
>Iface
>209.247.23.42   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
  0
>ppp0
>0.0.0.0         209.247.23.42   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
  0
>ppp0
>

>So it looks like I need a route to localhost.  When (from the route
>manpage)
>I do:
>
>[root@mystery jd]# /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0
>SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

If you fix your /etc/hosts then ifconfig will fix itself and this
 route
will likely magically appear automatically.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cant create a partition with disk druid?? (newbie
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Trent,

I still do have some ideas on what you can check, make sure that the
/boot partition doesn't crosses the 1024th-cylinder of /dev/hdb, so
 make
it small (15M) and at the start of the disc. If that doesn't work,
 you
can try fitting it on /dev/hda by resizing the partition(s) there.
 You
would still need only some 15M there and all the other partitions
 could
still be on /dev/hdb. Just a thought, can you create a /home on
/dev/hdb? If you can do this that's a sure hint that you're dealing
 with
the 1024 cylinder problem. (check the setting in your BIOS too, is it
set to LBA?)

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cannot rsh to linux box
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Correction
> cannot rsh to the box. No error message... nothing.

The message I get is
linuxbox: A connection with a remote socket was reset by that socket.

All I get out of that message is "go learn about sockets." Any
ideas? Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partitions
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Ewan Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Simon Reye wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:31:12 +1000, Ewan Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>

> >Simon Reye wrote:
> >>
> >> I've setup Red Hat Linux before and had a look around but it was
 only
> >> on a small partition.  I've now been able to get rid of Windows
 98 and
> >> have a full 6Gb hard drive to muck around with and plan to
 install
> >> Linux here.  My question is do I really need to create 6 or 7
> >> different partitions as suggested or can I get away with just
 the main
> >> partition and a swap partition?  What is the purpose of
 different
> >> partitions?  Also I want to try and setup Linux as a server of
 sorts -
> >> although it won't be doing any great things and will just be on
 my
> >> home network.  I just want some experience in setting it up and
> >> maintaining it.  So it'll be a web server, file server, mail
 server
> >> and probably some other stuff like DNS.  Do I really need the
 whole
> >> 6Gb considering it just for testing or can I get away with say 4
 of
> >> 5Gbs worth of space (I'd like to test BeOS out as well which is
 why I
> >> want a little bit of space left over)
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Simon
> >

> >No, you don't NEED to set up that many partitions.  All you really
 NEED
> >is
> >is a single primary partition with a swap _file_, but that is not
> >recommended.
> >
> >My _personal_ minimum recommendation is a root partition (/) of
> >1500-2000Mb,
> >a swap partition of about 120Mb, and a home (/home) partition of
 1000Mb.
> >The purpose of keeping the home partition separate is so that you
 can
> >rebuild
> >the whole system at any time without risking any of those cool
 downloads
> >etc.
> >that you have.
>
> Oh and that's another thing I forgot to mention.  I now have 128Mb
 of
> RAM so does that mean my swap partition should be around 256Mb?
>
> Simon

Simon, when you are setting up a Linux box, you probably should not
 be
reading any NT books.  :->

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux newbie Mandrake 7.1/Win95 HD install problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

David Efflandt wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Jun 2000, John Slaney
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I recently installed Mandrake 7.1, and had a strange problem after
 the
> >install.  I started out with a 30G HD, used MS fdisk to partition
 it
> >into 1 primary (C:) of about 10Gig, 1 extended partition of 9Gig
 with
> >only one logical drive filling the whole extended partition.
 These were
> >both formatted with FAT32, and WIN95B was installed on the
 primary.  The
> >D: was functional and visible until I installed Mandrake (custom,
 2
> >partitions, one root and one swap filling up the rest of the
 drive).
> >For some reason, the 9Gig is still visible in Linux (as a
 Windows/FAT32
> >drive), but not on Win95.  I've tried this twice, with no success.
> >upgraded the BIOS on the MB (ASUS P5A/B, K6-2/333, 64M) to a
 recent one
> >(1/2000?).  I'm sure this is a shortcoming of Windows, so no need
 for
> >any propaganda there. ;).  I know there was a recent similar post,
 but
> >he did not detail the solution enough, and his email doesn't work.
  MS
> >fdisk doesn't seem to understand what the heck is on the rest of
 the
> >disk (other than the primary) and corrupted everything else when I
 tried
> >to re-create D:.  Any suggestions on how to make the 2nd FAT32
 visible
> >to Windows?  I don't have any data on it that I need (yet).
>
> It might help to see the output of Linux fdisk.  I have Mandrake
 7.0
> happily coexisting in the same extended partition as a Win98se D:
 drive on
> my laptop like this:
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1             1       653   5245191    b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hda2   *       654       655     16065   83  Linux /boot LILO
> /dev/hda3           656      1099   3566430    f  Win95 Ext'd (LBA)
                                                ^^^
Just some extra info, if this does look any different on your system,
change it to this partition-type. The type of the extended partition
must be windows ext'd and not linux extended. Otherwise windows
 probably
isn't able to find any logical partition in there, because it uses
 the
partitiontypes to assign drive letters to the different partitions.
That's also why some people have (inaccesable) linux partitions
 showing
up in windows. So use linux ext'd only if there are no windows
partitions inside the ext'd partition, otherwise use windows ext'd

Eric

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: modem is way too loud!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Jose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all!

I recently installed Suse linux 6.2 and everything works quite nicely
 so
far... but my modem is very loud through the whole process of dialing
up, and then it stays loud when I get connected to my ISP. Where can
set the modem speaker off?

Thanks in advance

Jose

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> unthinkingly wrote:

> Yes! It is uncommented. I'm assuming I should comment it out.
> Do I need to reboot the machine, or is there someother command
> that avoids that. Thank you

Sorry. I wasn't thinking. Of course it should be uncommented.
I still have my problem though. And yes, I do have an .rhosts
file set properly. Any other ideas?? There is no rlogin daemon
that should be running or something?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Efficient 3060 ADSL and Linux - do I have a prayer?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: "Brad Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

I recently got ADSL from my phone company, but all they support (and
 sell
anymore) is USB or PCI internal modems. Everything I have seen about
 making
ADSL work with Linux has been based on using an external modem with
 an
ethernet interface. Can't afford it right now, gotta try to make what
 I have
work.

I have not been able to find any drivers for the 3060 card. Is there
anything like it I might adapt?

Trying another tack, any chance I could run windoze in an emulator,
 run the
ADSL drivers under that, and somehow get a connection out to Linux?

Any ideas?

Brad Thompson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't install kernel-source
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> If one rpm is dependant on another rpm, it means you should
> install the
> other one first.  Did you try installing the required
> kernel-headers and
> then the kernel source?
>
> >Particulars.
> >
> >Redhat 6.0 Hedwig
> >Kernel 2.2.5-15
> >RPM 3.0.2
> >Intel Pentium platform
> >booting from floppy disk with dedicated 1 G hard drive  for Linux
> >CDROM is publisher's edition came with Barkakati's third edition
 of "Secrets
> >of Redhat Linux'

In fact, you can install all the required package at the same time. I
use RedHat 6.0 too and I just upgrade two machines' kernel to
 2.2.16-3
few days a ago. I did not have any problem with the installation.

The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence
http://www.seti.org/

Registered with the Linux Counter. ID# 175126
http://counter.li.org/index.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sharing files
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I want to work with a team on the same files with the same rights.
 What is
the best way to do this ?

What I do now is: I am the owner and give rights to the group.
 Whoever they
can't use chmod to change user rights to make a file executable, or
 when
they make a new file, I am not able to write into it ?

So would like that the group is the owner and not a user when a file
 is
created in a certain directory. Is something like this possible ?

Regards,
Ed Bras

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SCSI and network card conflict? Linux refuses to boot.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:22 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)

Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

Please add your comments below the cited text. Thanks.

>There are a few things you should check:

>do all devices have a unique SCSI-ID?
>is the SCSI-CHAIN terminated?
>is the device working correctly (check in an other PC)?

Well, since the same system worked before adding a secondary NIC,
 chances
are good that this doesn't have anything to do with the problem. It
 could
be a cable problem, though (maybe inadvertently pulled off of its
 socket).

>Eric

>Brendan Boyle wrote:

[...]

>> Now that the modem is installed Linux refuses to boot (even from a
 floppy).
>> The hardware is as follows:
>> PCI Fast Ethernet DEC 21140 for the Cable modem with a static IP
 address
>> supplied by my ISP
>> Realtek RTL8029 Ethernet adapter with a static IP supplied by me
>> Adaptec 2940AU PCI SCSI Controller that runs my scanner and CD
 burner.

>> The boot process runs as normal until it locates the SCSI card.
 Then the
>> messages are as follows:
>> scsi: 1 host
>> scsi: aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi 0, channel 0,
 id 0, lun
>> 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00

Try unplugging the NIC for the cable modem, and try again. If it
 works now,
you'll have to move around the PCI cards until all cards get an IRQ
 of
thier own. Disabling the NIC alone won't help you, since it's the
 system's
BIOS that assigns the IRQs onto the installed PCI cards/slots . The
 AHA2940
series doen't really like sharing interrups.

Michael
--
Michael Buchenrieder * [EMAIL PROTECTED] *
 http://www.muc.de/~mibu

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)

On 28 Jun 2000 04:21:20 GMT, Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>Hi, we are setting up out first Linux box for our
>network. The rest of the network are IBMs running
>AIX. Everything looks to be working fine, but we
>cannot rsh to the box. No error message... nothing.
>The terminal just sits there as if it were waiting
>for input. Any ideas? Is there a daemon or something
>we need to enable on the linux machine. FTP, and
>telnet work fine. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you have the following line UNcommented in /etc/inetd.conf:

login   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.rlogind

Did you set up an .rhosts file in your home dir of the box you are
 trying
to rsh into consisting of remote hostname or IP and remote login name
 of
the box you are trying to rsh from?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cdrom mounting problem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:22 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)

Lonni J. Friedman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>CKTong wrote:
>> mount : /dev/cdrom
>> is not a valid block device
>>
>> What seem to be the problem ?
>
>Its telling you the problem, /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device.

>Your CD drive has to be a block device, not a symlink pointing to
 the
>block device.

[cjw44@riva ~]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            8 Jun 10  1999 /dev/cdrom ->
 /dev/hdd

Is this really true? Surely it just means that /dev/cdrom is pointing
the wrong place (in which case use 'ln' to fix it)?

--
Colin Watson
 [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Red Hat*.kdelnk. Where is it?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:22 GMT

From: Kheng-Teong Goh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

==============604EDE98D17C24CDDE5F3478

Can somebody tell me where exactly is those icons in Red Hat 6.2? I
deleted it.

I need to know where exactly it is installed so I can remove it with
 the
kickstart %post.

Please help. Thanks in advance.

==============604EDE98D17C24CDDE5F3478

begin:vcard
n:Goh;Kheng Teong
tel;work:603-55199522
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://pwp.maxis.net.my/khengteong
org:Volvo Information Technology Asia
adr:;;Gate 1, Jalan Bicu 15/6,;Shah Alam;Selangor;40000;Malaysia
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:nobody
x-mozilla-cpt:;32672
fn:Kheng Teong Goh
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: boot into linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:21 GMT

From: "sllai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have the Red Hat installed into the computer and used to use the
 floppy
disk to boot into the linux system. Now I have the problem with my
 floppy
disk drive and I can't boot into the linux. Any alternative way to
 boot into
thge linux system. I can't install the lilo boot loader into the MBR,
 may be
caused by the 1024 cylinder issue.

Hope can have some advices from you all.

sllai

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't "make" newsx
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:22 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (George Kapuscinski)

This is my first attempt at compiling a program.  I'm using
RedHat 6.0 and would like to get beyond the RPM wizardry when
installing software.  I downloaded newsx-1.4.tar.gz and untarred it
with the -xvzf tag without any problems.  However, when I
switch to the /newsx-1.4 directory that this creates and type
"make", I get this message.`

"Makefile:2: *** missing separator.  Stop"

Here is how the Makefile looks.

all:
 ./configure
 make

install:
 ./configure
 make install

Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:22 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (M. Buchenrieder)

Jose <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hi all!

>I recently installed Suse linux 6.2 and everything works quite
 nicely so
>far... but my modem is very loud through the whole process of
 dialing
>up, and then it stays loud when I get connected to my ISP. Where can
>set the modem speaker off?

Start minicom, and enter

ATM0&w

That should do it.

Michael

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Manually starting a service on system start up.
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:22:51 +0200

On 28 Jun 2000 13:01:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>How do I set Lotus Domino to automatically run on system boot when
>installed on
>RedHat Linux 6.2

Put it in /etc/rc.d/boot.local if it should start before any runlevel. Or put it
into the appropriate runlevel, say /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S99domino (these path applies
to SuSE).

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem on Installation of ALSA Driver 0.5.8
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:27:25 +0200

On Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Ford)
>
>On Wed, 07 Jun 2000 23:12:29 +0800, Holmes Cheng
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>I am very newbie in linux.
>>
>>When I ./configure, it is okay...
>>but when I "make install", the error prompts
>>"This code requires Linux 2.3.99-pre5 and higher"

There was a compilation error related to 2.3.x kernels. It was fixed by the
0.5.8a release. In the meantime there is a 0.5.8b version. Get it.

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: redhat kernael upgrade
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:31:08 GMT

I have just upgraded a system from 2.2.12 (which has been running fine
for some time) to 2.2.16 and had numerous problems getting the system
to boot in the first place. Eventually I loaded the SCSI drivers into
the kernel and not as modules as the error messages seemed to imply
that the SCSI module hadn't been loaded. The system then booted up. But
it seems that none of the other drivers which are still loaded as
modules are actually loading (the network drivers for example). So I'm
sure I've got a 'loading the modules' type problem. I checked that I
have all the right versions of programs as mentioned in the Changes
file, but now I am a bit lost. Is this a known problem? Anybody had
similar problems?

Mark.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 08:43:07 -0500
From: Rajat Goon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Please Help!!!

Hi,
    I know it may be simple question for you.
In the inet script, the line contains
******************
if [ ${NETWORKING} = "no" ]
then
    exit 0
endif
*****************
I am always getting syntax error "[: = " unary operator expected.

But the same inet script is running in Redhat 6.1 box ok. The error I'm
getting from Mandrake 7.0
I'll really appreciate any help from you guys.
Thanks,
-Rajat.
--
Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.

222 West Hampton Ave., Apt #303
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53217, U.S.A.
Phone : 414 964 7522 (H) 414 341 5727 (W)     Fax : 978 926 8109
Home Page: http://members.tripod.com/~prgoon
E-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest