From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Troubble installing RAID1
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:58:28 GMT

Thomas,

That happens if your Kernel RAID version and your RAIDTools software
version numbers are out of sync.

Download and decompress a clean kernel from www.kernel.org... 2.2.17 is
the one I will refer to here...

First, apply the raid-2.2.17-A0 patch from

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/raid-patches/

(You know, cd /usr/src, patch -p0 < <somedir>/raid-2.2.17-A0)

This will add support for RAID version .90 to your kernel. Compile and
install the patched kernel. While configing the kernel, when selecting
RAID options be sure to UNCHECK the Transparent Mode RAID option. It
doesn't work yet.

Now, download, decompress, and install the matching RAIDTools from

ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/daemons/raid/alpha/

In this case that would be raidtools-19990824-0.90.tar.gz

After you have done that, you should be all set. Pick up where you left
off.

That should fix ya up. Enjoy!

Charles Taylor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Linuxiso.org: How to create a bootable CD?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:11:31 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure) writes:
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 03:31:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod
> Smith) wrote:
>>If you had a choice to switch from Joliet to ISO-9660, you did *NOT*
>>use a "create CD-R from image file" or similar option. As I said, the
>>filesystem (ISO-9660, Joliet, HFS, etc.) is embedded within the image
>>file, so that option is 100% meaningless when creating a CD-R in this
>>way. To be sure, look at the contents of the unbootable CD. If you see
>>the .iso file you downloaded, you did it wrong. If you see a bunch of
>>files and subdirectories, including README files and whatnot, then it
>>was done correctly.
>
> The output CD does show the usual RedHat contents of a bootable CD
> (README.TXT /dosutils, /RedHat, etc.), but it wouldn't boot. I found
> more infos on turning an ISO image into a bootable CD, so I'll give it
> another try. I have already installed OS's from bootable CDs on that
> computer, so it is capable of booting off a CD.

There are no special steps required when burning a bootable vs. a
non-bootable image file; the bootability of the CD-R is embedded within
the image file you've downloaded. Therefore, unless there was a freakish
error when burning the CD-R (one that changed just a critical bootable
flag or something), trying again won't help. Depending upon where you
got the image file, my guess is that somebody created one that wasn't
bootable, or there may be a compatibility problem between the software
used to create the bootable image and your BIOS. (I've seen BIOSes that
wouldn't boot bootable CD-Rs that booted fine on other computers, but
that would boot other bootable CD-Rs.) Your best bet at this point is to
simply create a boot floppy from the appropriate floppy image on the
CD-R and boot using that. That'll be **MUCH** less hassle than trying to
figure out what went wrong or downloading a different image file from
another source.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Holtzman)
Subject: Re: <NUbee question>running /sbin/lilo
Date: 12 Nov 2000 21:53:27 GMT

X-No Archive-yes

On Mon, 06 Nov 2000 00:19:16 -0500, Glitch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>download the newest lilo, 21.x. It supports having the boot image beyond
>1024 cylinders.

I'm running RH 6.0 with lilo 0.21.6 and when I installed the OS it wouldn't
let me do this. Any idea why?

--
Bob Holtzman
"If you think you're getting free lunch

------------------------------

From: "Marco Mey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setup downloaded RH 7.0 in a WindowsMe machine
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:48:56 -0600

Hi guys, I'm new to Linux. I have a computer with 15GB of disk space in 3
partitions ( FAT32 ), each with 5GB of space.
I have WinMe in the first partition, and I wanted to use the 3rd one for
Linux.

I downloaded RH 7.0 ( the RPMS and base directories ) to my HD and made a
boot disk ( rawrite ) and loaded the installer.
All goes fine, but once I selected the mouse  for in the installation I get
this error :
============
Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/bin/anaconda.real", line 438, in ?
    intf.run(todo, test = test)
  File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.0.1//usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 1030, in
run
  File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.0.1//usr/lib/anaconda/text.py", line 507, in
__call__
  File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.0.1//usr/lib/anaconda/todo.py", line 1472, in
doInstall
  File "/var/tmp/anaconda-7.0.1//usr/lib/anaconda/fstab.py", line 703, in
mountFilesystems
  File "/usr/lib/anaconda/isys.py", line 46, in losetup
    targ = os.open(file, mode)
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/loophost/redhat.img'

Local variables in innermost frame:
file: /mnt/loophost/redhat.img
mode: 2
readonly: 0
device: /tmp/loop1

ToDo object:
(itodo
ToDo
p1
(dp2
S'method'
p3
(iharddrive
HardDriveInstallMethod
p4
(dp5
S'fstype'
p6
S'vfat'
p7
sS'isMounted'
p8
I0
sS'fnames'
p9
(dp10

<failed>
============

I went to RH homesite to see if there was a bug reported or something and I
found out that they have an update for the anaconda installer in the file
updates.redhat.com/7.0/images/i386/update-disk-20001009.img so I downloaded
it. Then I made a rawrite to a new Floppy disk with this file
and when I tried to restart the computer whit the new disk I get a " There
is no OS in the Floopy " kind of message.

Maybe I'm doing all wrong but since is my first time to Linux ever .. I
don't know what to do ..

Help me OBWK, your my only hope ..

Thanks in advance ..

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Senior)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,uk.comp.os.linux,uklinux.help.newbies
Subject: Re: Windows/Linux : Disk size issue
Date: 12 Nov 2000 19:43:29 GMT

On 12 Nov 2000, Chris Jones wrote:

> Yes, that certainly is an option I could follow. I was though trying to
> explore the replace option since if it is possible I would like to put
> windows on the new disk since a) I really need more than 1Gig there - its
> already pretty full and b) the new disk will be faster (whether its faster
> in my machine is another question). However, thanks for your suggestion.

I suppose that's what I was driving at with the digression about free
space. If 1GB wasn't enough for Windows, you could always create another
Windows drive and use that to lighten the load on the C: drive. And you
would be spreading I/O across two disks -- although I'm not sure how much
benefit that gives with EIDE?

> Following the first (replace) option another possible question has occured
> to me. I would have to partition my disk to place c:\windows and possibly
> \boot below the 1024 limit and the rest of linux above. However, if my bios
> cannot read above 1024 how will I partition the disk correctly here ? Can
> fdisk do this in this case or will I need to use some other partitioning
> tool ?

Note that both Linux and DOS have a program called fdisk. The raw version
of fdisk on Linux is somewhat crude and you would probably prefer cfdisk,
which is a full-screen tool -- more like the DOS fdisk.

The BIOS is only an issue when booting. Once booted I assume both Windows
98 and Linux use LBA to access large disks? AFAIK the fdisk programs
supplied with both systems work above 1024 cylinders, although I don't
think I've ever created a Windows partition up there.

I tend to play safe when creating partitions and use DOS fdisk for Windows
and Linux fdisk for Linux. Others may have had success in creating Windows
partitions with Linux fdisk?

--
Regards,

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH 7.0 | xinetd.conf query | qpopper
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:53:01 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:02:22 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>According to Qualcomm's westie, in theory all I need to do is add:
>
>service pop3
>          {
>
>               socket_type     =  stream
>               protocol = tcp
>               wait = no
>               user = root
>               server = /usr/local/lib/popper
>               server_args = qpopper -s
>               port = 110
>}
>
>to my xinetd.conf file.
>
>We shall see...

That did the trick - pop3 is working fine now.

------------------------------

From: "Greg H" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.lang.basic,alt.permaculture,alt.surfing,alt.surfing.europe.uk,aus.computers.linux,sci.crypt
Subject: Re: hacker...beware
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:59:01 -0000

Talking about things gettin out of hand. And Toataly OFF topic
Greg

Gary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
<3a0884ad$0$19405$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>The following person (who posts on the above newsgroups)has been detected
by
>my firewall as attempting to hack into my system. He/she has been reported
>to the isp concerned and details are as follows.
>
>Name E-mail address Date Thread Newsgroup
>Vic Drastik [EMAIL PROTECTED] 00/04/20  comp.lang.basic.misc
>Mongolian Horde [EMAIL PROTECTED] 00/01/05  alt.surfing
>*Lauren* [EMAIL PROTECTED] 99/11/06  alt.music.moffatts
>Mongolian Horde [EMAIL PROTECTED] 99/11/05  alt.surfing
>Mongolian Horde [EMAIL PROTECTED] 99/11/05
>Location of 203.101.94.94:
>   Country   =  Australia
>   Region    =  New South Wales
>   City      =  Sydney
>Standard network info
>[ nslookup (1): ip=203.101.94.94,
hostname=async93-wol-isp-1.nas.one.net.au]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: It worked
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:50:12 GMT

Thanks for the help

From: Edward Berry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: Dual OS: Win2000 and Redhat 7.0
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:53:07 -0800

Excuse me for inserting a new question in this thread, but my question
is related. I also wanted to follow the mini-HOWTO mentioned for
installing together with NT and using the NT loader, but in the RH7.0
setup I missed the part where you set up LILO, and I ended up booting
to LILO which gave me the option to use "DOS". Question: where in the
RH7 setup do you specify LILO? Do you have to use non-default mode
like "expert"? Is there a timeout so that if you don't respond to
a query within 30 sec it goes ahead with the default setup?

BTW everything seems fine with it set up this way but I was making
a 4-boot system (DOS622, WIN98, NT, Linux) and I wanted linux on
the same level with everything else, in the NT boot loader.
What I have is first a choice between Linux and Microsoft,
then a choice between the three MS options

details-
starting with a triple boot system with 2 2GB partitions and
about 8 GB unpartitioned space, I installed RH7 booting from floppy,
selecting new install, workstation class.
I used Disk Druid to mount the two partitions (both FAT16) as
/win1 and /win2, then set up a 200 MB swap partition and
the rest as / . (The mini-HOWTO says the /boot will be same as
/ with this procedure.)
I did not check the box allowing to select the packages to install,
just let it install all. Set root password and one user. When I
came back it said install was complete, and when I rebooted there
was LILO with a choice between Linux and DOS, choosing DOS gives
NTLoader with a choice between NT, W98, DOS622.

-Ed

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:06:24 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: help, RH7 missing EATA drivers

Hi Matthew,

   The distribution comes with a boot floppy.
The problem with the floppy is that it contains
a sample of SCSI cdrom drivers.  If your SCSI
card is not one of them, such as the EATA drivers,
you need to make the additional disk.

   And if you do not have a working version of
either Linux or a DOS box to make the additional
disk, you are out of luck.  (No O.S. should require
another O.S. to install, this is why Red Hat should
include the disk with the distribution.)

--Tony

------------------------------

From: "D. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No "MAKE" Command - Help
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:07:58 -0700

I'm trying to configure my SBLive soundcard for RedHat 6.1 and apparently I
have to use a command called "make."  When I do, I get an error - something
like "unknown command."  What am I doing wrong?  I need to load my SBLive
drivers, but I can't unless I can use this command.  Please help.

Thanks,

db

------------------------------

From: "sambaBasher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie with a DNS? problem
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:13:33 -0800

Worked like a charm. Any idea why the "GUI" did not work?
Thanks, dh

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:16:41 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Black Dragon wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:50:04 -0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Anthony Ewell' said:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >   Not to answer my own question, but in case anyone
> >else gets burnt with this problem, here goes:
> >
> >   Red Hat 7.0's boot disk only contains a small sample
> >of scsi cdrom drivers needed to read your scsi cdrom drive.
> >
> >   To get access to the rest of the scsi drivers, you
> >have to make up your own floppy from an image
> >on  CD-ROM #1.  From Linux, you can use the
> >following command:
> >
> >      dd if=/cdrom_mount_point/images/drivers.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
> >
> >   The images directory also has a DOS method of making
> >the disk as well.
> >
> >   Editorial comment: Red Hat should include this disk with
> >their distribution.
>
> No Red Hat should not. The last thing we or Red Hat needs is people asking
> questions related to corrupted floppies. We already get enough about bad cd
> images.

This problem is easily solved: don't use cheap floppies in your distribution.
This is not much of a problem anyway: how many of your customers
are using EATA drivers anyway?  Most are using IDE cdrom drives.

> The subject is well covered in the installation documentation, and
> the dos method is using the supplied "rawrite" utility.

The distribution needs to be "Complete".  No O. S. should require another
O.S., or another working version of itself to install.

Can you imagine Microsoft requiring Linux to make a driver floppy
before you can read the Windows 2000 cdrom?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon )
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:30:56 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 15:13:33 -0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `sambaBasher' said:

>Black Dragon <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:25:18 -0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `sambaBasher' said:
>>
>> >I have just installed Red Hat 7.0 (and use Gnome) and can connect to my
>dial
>> >up ISP. My problem is that I can only connect to websites via their ip
>> >address. Is there something simple that I am missing?
>> >
>> >Thanks, David Hirose
>>
>> You need to configure the DNS resolver. Put the ip addresses of your ISP's
>> primary and secondary domain name servers in /etc/resolv.conf as follows:
>>
>> nameserver {primary.nameserver.ip.address}
>> nameserver {secondary.nameserver.ip.address}
>>
>> See also: "man resolver"

>Worked like a charm. Any idea why the "GUI" did not work?
>Thanks, dh

You're welcome David, and I have no clue as to why the GUI didn't work,
'cause I'm a command line addict. :-)

From: Steven G Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:38:24 -0500

Anthony Ewell wrote:

> Can you imagine Microsoft requiring Linux to make a driver floppy
> before you can read the Windows 2000 cdrom?

last time i checked, it took five floppies to read the win2k cdrom...
--

\|/ ____ \|/
"@'/ ,. \`@"  Steven G. Blanchard, Jr

------------------------------

From: Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux loves RAM. The more you give it, the faster it gets.
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 23:50:13 GMT

"Linux loves RAM. The more you give it, the faster it gets."

Ok, that is true for 25 the operating systems I have worked with. What
about some examples for Linux running various apps like
Gimp/Netscape/StarOffice?

My workstation is only 256Mb. The typical working set using NT 4.0 and
half a dozen applications open, is under 80Mb. Rotating a reasonable
size image (90Mb) in PSP requires an extra 300Mb.

If I throw in Netscape, the working set jumps by a large unpredictable
amount so I tend to use Opera where possible. Some sites use faulty
Javascript so back to Netscape. netscape is the reason I added the
second 128Mb DIMM.

What do Linux apps use? What RAM is needed to run a typical day to day
workload:

RAID is in hardware so not needed in software.

Internet connection.

Newsreader equivalent to Agent

Email equivalent to Outlook with several email open for reading and
writing.

HTML/Script editor, equivalent to Homesite, with 20 pages open.

Gimp with a few web images plus an original file open, the original
being >5Mb and up to 90Mb.

Word processor with a few 20 - 100 page documents open.

Spread sheet with 5 sheets open.

One Opera with perhaps 5 pages displaying. 3 Netscapes open.

FIle explorer equivalent to Windows Explorer. (I looked at Gnome based
one that installed with Mandrake 7).

CD playing Etta James - I'd rather go blind.

FTP & Putty equivalents until WebDAV apps become standard.

MySQL

Apache

When I get busy, the above list might have an extra zero on the end of
some numbers.

Netscape seems to blow up above 7 web sites so I have most sites open
in Opera.

PSP with blow up if the open images total more than a few hundred Mb.
Apps like that seem to blow up no matter how much real memory is
available.

Gimp used to blow up with large images under both Linux and NT so I
stopped trying to learn how to use it. I presume the latest version is
error free.

NT never blows up except when Internet Explorer is installed. I keep
now keep NT IE free and keep an old Windows machine handy for the once
every few months when I need to test a web page with IE.

I have a tiny old machine spare to run up Linux. It will be RH 7 or
the latest Mandrake. I will need both machines in parallel for a
while. Will 128 Mb suffice with this application mix?

It has only a 66MHz FSB so will be slow editing images. I can live
with that as I can keep the scanner and edits of the large original
files on the NT machine until I decommission that machine. What I want
to avoid is any program in the mix crashing while a file is open.

How much RAM will I need for a page free/crash free workstation?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 16:04:52 -0800
From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat

Hi Steve,

   Yes.  But did they come in the distribution or
did you have to boot up Linux to make them?
This is just a tiny lack of foresight on Red Hat's
part.  My guess is that they will fix it shortly.

--Tony

------------------------------

From: Steven G Blanchard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CONSOLE MODE SESSION
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:04:28 -0500

i believe that mandrake has different default runlevels than debian, so
you need to find the correct runlevel. i would suggest you use the
/sbin/telinit, which allows you to switch runlevels--as long as you are
root. once you find the runlevel you want, edit /etc/inittab to reflect
that. also pressing ctrl, alt and an f-key will get you a console
session to play with. btw, all the configuration files are stored in
/etc/init.d, and the specific runlevel services are in /etc/rcN.d where
N is the runlevel number.

--

"@'/ ,. \`@"  Steven G. Blanchard, Jr

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest