From: "Sean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie question
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 15:04:26 -0500

I assume you are referring to the resolution in X

On RH6.2, I had to run Xconfigurator

If that isn't working for some reason, XF86Setup should work

sylvain hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I'm very new to Linux, and I've just installed Red Hat 6.1 on my Pc, I
> was wondering how could I change my screen resolution, it's just too
> big.
>
> Thanks for any help!!!!
> Sly.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
From: Don Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Install Lockup
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:08:26 GMT

I'm having a problem installing RH Linux on a dual boot with 98 on one
drive and putting Linux on another.

Unfortunately, after about 6 attempts I looked and saw that my AMD K6
400 and mother board have known problems with installation lockups (No
solutions in RH 6.1/6.2 hardware help).

How do I clean up the linux partitions off my second drive and get rid
of lilo?  Just want to wipe my system of all Linux traces.  I think lilo
-u /dev/hdb1 would clean up my MBR but since the install never worked I
cant get to a linux prompt to run it.  When I use the boot disk provided
by RH it always goes into the installation routine without ever letting
me access a linux prompt.  I need to remove the Linux partitions then
remove lilo somehow.

Thanks,
Don

------------------------------

From: sylvain hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:19:01 -0700

Thanks a lot guys, I tried evrything, nothing worked, dunno why, but I
finally managed to fix my problem simply by doing _ctrl alt +_ !!!!!!!
Which led me into asking you guys another question:
does anybody know a site where I can find the basic short cutes in Linux,
that would be helpful.

Thanks ahead of time!!!!
Sly.

------------------------------

From: Bill Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Why should I create a /boot FS
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:52:20 -0500

I have read various places that you should create /boot
as a seperate filesystem.  But I have never read a good
reason for doing it.

Why should I create a seperate /boot filesystem?

Bill Petersen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: rebuilt kernel doesn't autoload modules
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:14:05 GMT

Hi all,

I just compiled a 2.2.16 kernel on RedHat 6.2.  I built the kernel,
installed the modules, and mostly everything works as expected, except
for the eth0 interface.

When I boot and /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network starts, it says:

Bringing up interface eth0 Delaying eth0 initialization. [FAILED]

Afterwards I can manually:

  insmod tulip
  /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S10network start

and it will start successfully.

but why won't the boot script load the tulip module before attempting to
start eth0 anymore?  It still works if I boot the old kernel.

By the way, my /etc/conf.modules includes

alias eth0 tulip

Any help is appreciated,

Aaron

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Netscape font is too small
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:49:44 -0700

On or about 28 Jun 2000 07:59:29 GMT, Fred Nastos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scrivened:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Solution:

>> My fix is to modify Netscape resources with the attached resource file.

> Is it possible to place this in a user's home directory instead of
> somewhere global? Would it go in .Xdefaults?

Yes.  You can put it where ever you want, so long as it's included by
whatever collects and sets your X resources.

  $ man xrdb

I forget the specifics of local-user resource definitions.  IIRC,
the CDE crowd tried to make something like ~/.app-defaults/ a standard
directory for parking personal resource files.  Idea being that you'd
seperate resources by program rather than dumping everything into one
big directory.

If you'll read the header comments of the default Netscape.ad file,
you'll find JWZ's rant about app-defaults and why it is a Bad Thing
(tm).

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>         http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
  Evangelist, Opensales, Inc.                       http://www.opensales.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: A consistent kernel crash error
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:55:22 -0700

On or about 26 Jun 2000 22:03:56 GMT, Frank Iway Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
scrivened:
> What does the following error mean?  Lately, Linux has been crashing

Re-post after filling out the file /usr/src/linux/REPORTING-BUGS.

If you'd like to try it, the following is a scripted version of the same
file, which should (may?) automatically compile the related information.
You may have to modify some paths, and you'll need certain tools for it
to work.  In particular, it assumes ksymoops is on your path and that
you get your kernel messages from the same place(s) I do.

You might also want to send output to the Linux Kernel mailing list as
well as this group.

/usr/local/sbin/kernel-bug-report
================================< begin > ==============================
#!/bin/bash

# Kernel bug report generator script
# Script generated from prior bug report form by Karsten M. Self
# $Revision: 1.3 $ $Date: 2000/05/13 07:48:36 $ $Author: root $

# ------------------------------------------------------------------------
# [Some of this is taken from Frohwalt Egerer's original linux-kernel FAQ]
#
#      What follows is a suggested procedure for reporting Linux bugs. You
# aren't obliged to use the bug reporting format, it is provided as a guide
# to the kind of information that can be useful to developers - no more.
#
#      If the failure includes an "OOPS:" type message in your log or on
# screen please read "Documentation/oops-tracing.txt" before posting your
# bug report. This explains what you should do with the "Oops" information
# to make it useful to the recipient.
#
#       Send the output the maintainer of the kernel area that seems to
# be involved with the problem. Don't worry too much about getting the
# wrong person. If you are unsure send it to the person responsible for the
# code relevant to what you were doing. If it occurs repeatably try and
# describe how to recreate it. That is worth even more than the oops itself.
# The list of maintainers is in the MAINTAINERS file in this directory.
#
#       If you are totally stumped as to whom to send the report, send it to
# [EMAIL PROTECTED] (For more information on the linux-kernel
# mailing list see http://www.tux.org/lkml/).
#
# This is a suggested format for a bug report sent to the Linux kernel mailing
# list. Having a standardized bug report form makes it easier  for you not to
# overlook things, and easier for the developers to find the pieces of
# information they're really interested in. Don't feel you have to follow it.
#
#    First run the ver_linux script included as scripts/ver_linux or
# at <URL:ftp://ftp.sai.msu.su/pub/Linux/ver_linux> It checks out
# the version of some important subsystems.  Run it with the command
# "sh scripts/ver_linux"
#
# Use that information to fill in all fields of the bug report form, and
# post it to the mailing list with a subject of "PROBLEM: <one line
# summary from [1.]>" for easy identification by the developers
# ------------------------------------------------------------------------

# indent by one tabstop
function tabout () { sed -e '/^/s//     /'; }

kversion=$( uname -r )
dmesg=dmesg
dmesg="cat /var/log/kern.log"   # for debugging only
oops_number=$( $dmesg | grep Oops | tail -1 | sed -e '/^.*:/s///' )
oops_module=$( $dmesg | grep EIP | tail -1 | sed -e '/^.*:/s///' )

cat <<EOF

This is a script-generated kernel bug report.

The system administrator/developer should provide additional information
where appropriate.

kernel-bug-report: $Revision: 1.3 $ $Date: 2000/05/13 07:48:36 $ $Author: root $

[1.] One line summary of the problem:

        PROBLEM:  $1 oops $oops_number in $oops_module, $kversion kernel

[2.] Full description of the problem/report:

        n/a

[3.] Keywords (i.e., modules, networking, kernel):

        linux kernel $kversion oops $oops_number $oops_module

[4.] Kernel version (from /proc/version):

$( cat /proc/version | tabout )

[5.] Output of Oops.. message (if applicable) with symbolic information
     resolved (see Documentation/oops-tracing.txt)

$( $dmesg | ksymoops -k /proc/ksyms | tabout )

[6.] A small shell script or example program which triggers the
     problem (if possible)

        n/a

[7.] Environment

$( set | tabout )

[7.1.] Software (add the output of the ver_linux script here)

$( sh -f /usr/src/linux/scripts/ver_linux | tabout )

[7.2.] Processor information (from /proc/cpuinfo):

$( cat /proc/cpuinfo | tabout )

[7.3.] Module information (from /proc/modules):

$( cat /proc/modules | tabout )

[7.4.] SCSI information (from /proc/scsi/scsi)

$( cat /proc/scsi/scsi | tabout )

[7.5.] Other information that might be relevant to the problem
       (please look in /proc and include all information that you
       think to be relevant):

        System memory (at time of oops):
$( cat /proc/meminfo | tabout )

        System uptime:
$( uptime | tabout )

[X.] Other notes, patches, fixes, workarounds:
EOF

================================<  end  > ==============================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Newbie Questions
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 13:00:18 -0700

On or about Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:42:20 -0500, Hector Mendoza Jr.
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scrivened:

Post a meaningful title, eg:  "can't see cc or gcc in path"

> I just installed Mandrake 7.0.  I decided to visit www.download.com and
> download some linux applications to install.

> I downloaded freeamp and did the following

> tar zvxf filename
> files extracted
> next I tried to ./configure
> I get a can't see cc or gcc in path error
> how can i fix this???

Do you have gcc installed?  What is the output of:

    $ rpm -qa | grep cc

> also i downloaded doom.  the binaries won't execute.  any ideas???

No.  Error messages?

> one more question, how do i find out what "version"  i am running.  by
> version do i mean kernal build???

    $ uname -a
    Linux navel 2.2.14 #1 Mon Apr 17 04:06:03 PDT 2000 i686 unknown

...a 2.2.14 (wups, gotta upgrade!) kernel.

From: "Matthias Belitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware upgrade: modules will not load at startup
Date: 28 Jun 2000 20:24:04 GMT

Hallo !

I am using Red Hat 6.0 for nearly half a year now.

Now I have upgraded my system with a network card an a SCSI adapter.

I have compiled the both modules and they work fine when inserted with
modprobe manually.
I have added alias entries for SCSI_hostadapter and eth0 in conf.modules,
but at startup nothing of these modules will be loaded, but the sound
modules do ..

any idea?

Thanx, Matt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: how do I install linux via backpack cd-rom?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:17:44 GMT

I have an old HP OmniBook 4000CT that I would like to install RH6.2 onto.  It
has no CD-ROM drive but I can use a BackPack parallel CD-ROM (model #166550).
 I know that I need to do something to the boot disks in order to use the
backpack, but I don't know what or how?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance!

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: timing of root cron jobs
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:33:03 GMT

On Jun 28, 2000 at 12:38, D G eloquently wrote:

>I only turn my computer on when I'm using it.  Because of this, the root
>cron jobs (/etc/crontab on my system) don't normally run.  Is there a
>way that I can set these up to run 10 minutes after I boot the computer,
>instead of some fixed time of day?
Alternative: do a search on freshmeat (http://www.freshmeat.net)
for anacron. It might help U out...

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
There's just something I don't like about Virginia; the state.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange Lilo "LI" problems
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:36:05 GMT

On Jun 28, 2000 at 18:09, Daniil Kolpakov eloquently wrote:

>Doesn't just "lilo" command reinstalls the LILO? Is it really needed to
>reinstall Linux?
In order asked: yes, no. Note bachel{at}my-deja{dot}com
wrote update in brackets. If you do not have a boot floppy,
this is one way to reinstall lilo.

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had the same problem...
>> On a PC with Win and Linux. I installed LILO in the MBR and Norton
>> antivirus corrupted it ! Same problem, same solution...
>>
>> fdisk /mbr
>>
>> Reinstall Linux (update) just to reinstall LILO. It's fast.
[...]

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
Q:      What do you call a boomerang that doesn't come back?

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Must have Domain name?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:41:42 GMT

On Jun 28, 2000 at 18:38, Chris eloquently wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm setting up a Linux machine (RH 6.1) on a our mixed network and I'm still not sure
>- Is it imperative to have a fully qualified domain name (and therefore
>hostname) in /etc/hosts in order to connect to the net.
Nope. The only line necessary is the one with 127.0.0.1.

> I really just want
>to go live with the minimum configuration for the time being, and deal with
>DNS a little bit later if possible. It seems to me that if macs and pc's
>don't need em, neither should the linux machine.
You will need a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf.

>Can someone tell me what the absolute minimum requirements are, and what
>files, exactly, need to be configged. I can do it manually or with the
>network configurator.
C above and use netcfg.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
A definition of teaching: casting fake pearls before real swine.

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Installing from source...
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 20:45:04 GMT

On Jun 28, 2000 at 15:02, steveFarris eloquently wrote:

>Hi, when upgrading a package by compiling source code how do you get rid
>of the old stuff and replace it with new. For instance, if i upgrade
>gnome from 0.6 to 1.2, there is a ton of stuff on the system related to
>the gnome 0.6 version. I can't really track it all down and delete it
>manually, but it really oughta be gone after installing the new stuff.
>How do y'all take care of this situation when you are installing from
>source code. No RPM or nothin' like that??
If you have the olde source lying around and remember
the options you passed to it in ./configure, unpack
the source, run ./configure with the same options on it
and do a make uninstall. If uninstall is supported, it
should delete the files. Else, stick with a package
manager.

--
Registered Linux User # 125653
Zounds!  I was never so bethumped with words

------------------------------

From: sylvain hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X-windows
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:51:01 -0700

I'm new to Linux, and I was wondering what do I have to do to run
X-windows from the start, without having to type startx or whatever,
every time I reboot.

Thanks,

Sly.

------------------------------

From: Guy Fraser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.x,sg.linux
Subject: Re: Remote X login to linux server ???
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 14:47:31 -0600

> "Jeremy Low" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Anyone has any idea how I may do a remote X login to a linux server from a
> > windoz box. I wish to see the same X login display like I am in front of a
> > linux terminal presenting to me an X login.
> >
> > thanx there :-)

Go to :

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

There are clients & servers for many operating systems.

This software runs X with your normal gui on a virtual screen. It can
also
display the gui from macs,windows and many other OS gui's.

>From the client machine you can connect to it with different methods.
The best
way is using the vnc-veiwer native to your OS. This opens a window to
the vnc
server(s) on the linux,mac,windows,... machine at the remote end.

This is a better solution than running X directly, because it has
compression
techniques that are configurable to the network you are using.

Good luck

------------------------------

From: "Arne Bohle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help:apache did not run perl script
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 22:20:56 +0100

I have had a similar problem myself the last two days, not with Perl but
with a C++ program.

Might be a bit basic, but it is worth checking out the obvious first.

Make sure you have your Apache server set up to run cgi scripts (in
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf).  Seems like you have got this working already
since you can access the script.  I configured my Apache server to:
ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/httpd/cgi-bin/
AddHandler cgi-script cgi

Also check you print out the following lines to standard out as the first
lines:
<newline>
<newline>

It is imporant to have two newline lines after the Content-type.

Also make sure you do not send anything to standard out before the
"Content-type" line.

What about changing permission on your perl script so the web server can run
it ?  Try "$chmod 777 perlscript.pl".

Do you have a line like "#! /usr/bin/perl" as the first line in your script
so the Web server knows to run the perl interpreter on the script ?

Hope this helps.

Arne

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> From: Yijian Cao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> I am learning to write simple cgi scripts. I could not get it to run
>  on my
> Liunx apache. I can view web pages in /home/httpd/html directory, but
>  I put
> some perl scripts in /home/httpd/cgi-bin, every time I tried to go
> http://myserver/cgi-bin/script, I got an access error message, in the
>  error
> log it like this: "GET /cgi-bin/howdy.pl HTTP/1.1" 500 534".
> What is wrong and what should I do?
> My system: RedHat 6.1, Apache 1.3
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Yijian at [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest