Linux-Setup Digest #28, Volume #21               Wed, 11 Apr 01 04:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: fdisk and BSD labels (David Efflandt)
  Re: Problem Installing Red Hat linux on a second HDD (David Efflandt)
  Red Hat system start up (Craig Van Tassle)
  Re: scsi_mod error on startup (David Efflandt)
  Re: Problem with installing packages with YaST (David Efflandt)
  Re: Create ext2 Partition from Windows ("Eric")
  Re: [HELP] mount cdrom ("Eric")
  dLink DE220 ("Arturo Castro V.")
  Re: Partitioning and LILO ("Eric")
  Re: Yamaha PCI (Dell m/b) and 2.4 (David Efflandt)
  recognizing SCSI tape *after* boot (Michal Szymanski)
  Machine "boots" into grub bash-like shell ... (Marc Koschewski)
  Can't boot up Linux with Kernel 2.4.1 ("Eric Chow")
  Re: ram inconsistency (FUKUTOMI Yutaka)
  Re: Getting DHCP and DNS to work together ("Stuart Langley")
  Re: recognizing SCSI tape *after* boot (Juergen Pfann)
  Puzzling Lilo problem with backup and restore via tarball on CD-R (Lucius
Chiaraviglio)
  Re: Problem Installing Red Hat linux on a second HDD ("Eric")
  Re: kernel / hardware problem (Volker Wedemeier)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: fdisk and BSD labels
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:07:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Jan Oberländer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was trying to install FreeBSD next to Linux, and partitioning with
> fdisk. I created these partitions:
>
> ----
> Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 3736 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         1         3     24066   83  Linux
> /dev/hdb2             4       330   2626627+   b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hdb3           331       592   2104515   a5  BSD/386
> /dev/hdb4           593      3736  25254180    5  Extended
> /dev/hdb5           593       723   1052226   83  Linux
> /dev/hdb6           724      1246   4200966   83  Linux
> /dev/hdb7          1247      1261    120456   82  Linux swap
> /dev/hdb8          1262      2306   8393931    b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hdb9          2307      3736  11486443+  83  Linux
> ----
>
> So I wanted to create a BSD disklabel on the hdb3 slice by pressing 'b'.
> Then fdisk says:
>
> ----
> Warning: starting partitions at cylinder 1 will be bad for the health of your
> partition table -- start at cylinder 2 instead!
>
> Reading disklabel of /dev/hdb3 at sector 5301451.
>
> Unable to seek on /dev/hdb
> ----

Is there an existing BSD disklabel there?  If not, you would be taking a
VERY big risk trying to create one now.  Whatever you do, NEVER put a
Windows logical partition after BSD.  Windows will not understand and will
step on one of your other partitions before where you think it is (been
there, done that, fortunately just a fresh FreeBSD got stepped on).  Not
sure how Linux copes with logical partitions after BSD.

> Question 1: Do I have to worry about the cylinder 1/2 thing? Should I
> re-partition to get that away?

Never heard of cyl 1/2 thing.  All my disks start on cyl 1.  Does your
kernel have UFS file system support?

But BSD disklabels are like logical partitions, so you would likely need
to remove any logical partitions after it and recreate them after making
any disklabels.  But like I said, any FAT partition after BSD is asking
for trouble.  The only thing I put after FreeBSD is primary partition(s).

> Question 2: Why is fdisk unable to seek? Does that have to do with the
> cylinder warning? What do I do about it? Is that maybe just a bug in the
> fdisk version I use (v2.10f)?

If there is no existing disklabel on the BSD slice, there is nothing to
seek.  If you do not have UFS file system support, it might not know what
to seek.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Problem Installing Red Hat linux on a second HDD
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:19:46 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:30:04 -0000, ganesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>    I have windows 98(SE) installed on the first HDD.I bought a new hard
> disk to install linux and to dual boot with windows 98.
> This is what i did to install:
> 1. create a new partition on the first HDD(primary disk) for the linux
> boot files. (using fips)..its mounted to '/boot'.
> 2. Created 3 partitions on the new HDD. One for linux swap(50mb),another
> for linux root(ext2)(10 GB) and yet another for windows(fat32)(~28GB).(Its
> a its huge 40 gb disk).
> 3. I installed LILO on the mbr.
>
> LILO lets me choose between windows or linux..but when i ran windows it
> showed some weird behavior..
>
> 1. windows took a long time to load..There was a blank screen with just a
> blinking curson on the left top corner for over 5 seconds.Windows did come
> up after that..
> 2. But,if I try to run 'windows explorer' the system hangs..There a
> distinct sound of windows accessing the hard drive.Even ctrl+alt+del does
> not work.I need to do a hard boot.

Check that the partition types match what they are or post the output of
'fdisk -l /dev/hda' and hdb.  For example, make sure that Linux is Linux
and NOT FAT anything.

From: Craig Van Tassle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat system start up
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 01:18:56 -0700

I am trying to figure out how to change the way my system starts up so i
can close down several services that I don't want to be open (netbios
for one) I was wondering if any one know a t-phile that explains the RH
start-up system in detail. the only ones that I found said it uses
scripts.  Well what do i need to do to modify those scripts to kill the
things that I don't want open

Thanks
Craig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: scsi_mod error on startup
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:31:44 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:33:37 GMT, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jason LaPenta wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recompiled my kernel to include scsi support and the generic support
>> etc. I have no scsi modules, it's all directly in the kernel. Yet when I
>> start up I get an error from scsi_mod.o with undefined symbols. How do I
>> get rid of this error? I've check modules.conf and it looked ok. I've
>> copied System.map to the right place and run depmod. Any idea of other
>> places to check?

I doubt if he wants to remove all modules.  But if SCSI support is built
into the kernel, he probably wants to 'rm' any lingering modules that are
not linked to the current kernel.

> Correcting Boot Time Module Errors
>
> Notice:  The steps below are ONLY for kernels with no loadable modules.
>  (If you compiled everything into the kernel only!)
>  *** You have been warned! ***
(snip)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Problem with installing packages with YaST
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:24:10 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Martin Schacherl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've got a problem with installing packages with YaST. Every time i want
> to install a package, YaST is searching for installed packages, but he
> doesn't find any installed packages. So he tries to re-install the
> packages. But the packages he tries to install are existing on my
> system. The packages are absolutely necessary packages like "aaa_base"
> and so on. The re-installation of the packages is abortet with an error.
> How can i tell YaST, that theese packages are installed, or how can i
> tell him to contineue installation, even if there is an error?!?

Make sure that the first CD is in the cdrom if overlooking that.  Did
anything go wrong with the install that if might not have keep a record of
everything?

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create ext2 Partition from Windows
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:34:46 +0200

> That is a great idea.  Thanks.  Do you know what the best way is to
> create an imagefile?  Thanks again.
>
> > > How do I create an ext2 partition from Windows 2000?  I have found
> > > projects that allow me to read and write ext2 partitions (ext2fsnt,
for
> > > example), but none that allow me to create partitions.

You will need linux for this, obviously

dd if=/dev/zero of=./just_an_imagefile bs=1k count=100
This will create an 100K file, change the bs and/or count arguments
if you want another size (Make it match the size of the CF card)

Now you can do `mke2fs ./just_an_imagefile`

That's it. :-)

Now that I read this again, you could also use PartitionMagic.
It can make ext2 partitions, but I don't know if it can handle your
hardware.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: [HELP] mount cdrom
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:28:14 +0200

> hello,
> i have the same symptoms.
> cat /proc/ide/hda/model -> ide/apati cdrom.
> cat /proc/devices|grep -i ide -> 3 ide0.
> ls -al /dev/cdrom -> /dev/cdrom -> hdc.
> when the computer boots it appears that the cdrom is detected at hda.
> our HD is SCSI.

It doesn't only appear so, it is so.
All you have wrong is a bad symlink.

rm /dev/cdrom
ln -s /dev/hda /dev/cdrom

And now you're ok.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Arturo Castro V." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: dLink DE220
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 02:35:07 -0400

Does anybody know/remember if it's possible and how to setup a DLINK DE220
ethernet isa card?

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning and LILO
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:43:18 +0200

> It's been a few years since I've installed Linux.  I'm now putting the
> latest version of Slackware on a PII 400 system with a 20 gig HD.  To let
> you know how long it's been, the last time I did this wa with Slackware
> version 2.9 and hte HD was only 650 megs...and that was a decent size.
>
> The problem I'm having is that I only get LI at boot (which I know means
> it can't find all of the files).  I _think_ the problem stems from how I
> initially partitioned the HD, too few partitions, too big chunks.  I
> divied the HD into 3 partitions, 5 gigs for Windows (hda3) 200 megs swap
> (hda2) and the remainder as root (hda1).
>
> What I'm reading tells me that I need to specify more than just swap and
> root.  How should I partition the HD?
>
> BTW, I can boto from the installation CD, but not from floppy or hard
> drive.  In all cases, I get the same problem.

Then either the kernel isn't on the floppy, or the floppy has gone bad.

Anyway, what version of lilo do you have? it should be newer than
21.4.3 IIRC. Then you can replace the "linear" keyword in lilo.conf with
"lba32" Rerun lilo,  and you should be ok.

The partition schemes that influence this behaviour, are just to make sure
that the kernel image and boot files are resided below cylinder 1024.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound
Subject: Re: Yamaha PCI (Dell m/b) and 2.4
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 06:45:36 +0000 (UTC)

On 10 Apr 2001 18:30:36 GMT, bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> NOTE: While this may be a 2.4 issue, followups have been redirected to
> the sound and setup groups only.
>
> I am trying to use the Yamaha YMF-724 sound system on a Dell Dimension
> V400 motherboard, with a 2.4.3 kernel. I compiled the ymfpci as a
> module so I could try it and other drivers, and when I insert, I get in
> the log:
>
> Apr 10 13:37:44 pipedream kernel: ymfpci: YMF724 at 0xf4000000 IRQ 9
> Apr 10 13:37:44 pipedream kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:0x4144:0x5303
>(Analog Devices AD1819)
>
> which looks to me as if it worked. And I see the modules loaded. The
> problem is that the /dev/sndstat device says that sound is not
> configured. It is, and I tried building in sound and OSS support to
> avoid any loading order issues.

/dev/sndstat is obsolete.  Check 'cat /proc/interrupts'.  See if it works.
It would be nice if there were some (any) kernel docs about ymf.

With my YMF-744B it skips a bit while loading KDE2, but works fine playing
music or CD's.  If it skips or repeates while playing sound files, disable
PnP support in your BIOS (CMOS setup).

> That's the whole question, is there something unobvious I have to do to
> get this to respond? I originally had all the sound stuff as modules,
> that worked no better (or worse).

Maybe just try using it by playing a sound.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michal Szymanski)
Subject: recognizing SCSI tape *after* boot
Date: 11 Apr 2001 07:04:52 GMT

Hi,

I have following problem which seems to be 'intrinsic' in Linux/SCSI as
it repeats in several configurations.

I have a RH 6.2 machine equipped with SCSI Adaptec AIC-7890/1
controller, two SCSI disks and a DLT SCSI tape drive. Everything works
fine using "aic7xxx" module, with one exception:

If the tape drive is switched off during boot time, it is not recognized
by the system and remains unusable. I have to reboot the machine with
the tape drive switched on to get access to it. This is a bit annoying -
the tape is used not very often and is usually OFF. It is easy to forget
to make it ON at boot time.

I have quite a different experience with Solaris/Sparc machines. On
these, once the tape drive gets configured into the system it can be
used w/o any problem even if it is OFF during boot.

Is there a way to "rescan" SCSI bus and get access to such a tape drive
on Linux when the system is already up and running?

thanks in advance for any hints,

regards, Michal.

--
  Michal Szymanski ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Warsaw University Observatory, Warszawa, POLAND

------------------------------

From: Marc Koschewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Machine "boots" into grub bash-like shell ...
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:25:28 +0200

Hi all...

I'm experiencing problems on a Mandrake 7.2 machine.

After I turned it off one day and wanted to boot it the other day, the machine
just "boots" into the grub bash-like shell. Anything I tried to load a kernel
and boot it results in the following error message such as this one:

        Inconsistent filesystem structure

So where's the problem? I use reiserFS on all drives. I didn't update anything
especially grub ... it just booted into that prompt after turning the machine
off. I do NOT use the kernel 2.4.x from the Mandrake Cooker, where they found
some problems with reiserFS. I use the 2.2.17-21mdk that came with the
Linux-Mandrake distribution.

Thank you for any input to this question!
Marc

------------------------------

From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't boot up Linux with Kernel 2.4.1
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 15:18:29 +0800

Hello,

I compiled the Linux Kernel 2.4.1 for a i586 PC(Pentimum -166 MMX with 98Mb
RAM).
It compiled successfully.

But when I reboot the system.

The following message displayed :

LILO Loading linux ........................................
Uncompressing Linux ... OK, booting the kernel.

And then it kept this stage without response.
How can I do now ? And how to make the linux run again ? Or, what should I
do when compile the kernel or what should do after finishing compile the
kernel(what files should modified) ????

After I compiled the kernel, I modified the lilo.conf for changing the new
kernel image. and run "lilo" once, and the reboot..... after that, my Linux
system can't boot up.

Please teach me how can I do ????

Best regards,
Eric

------------------------------

From: FUKUTOMI Yutaka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ram inconsistency
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:24:17 +0900

> i have 256M and linux reported 64M.
>
> when i boot from lilo: linux mem=256M, linux reports correctly 256M.
> however when i put append="mem+256M" line on the same as label in
> lilo.conf it does not work.

separate label and append line.
like next

image=/boot/bzImage
  label=linux
  append="mem=256M"
  read-only
  root=/dev/hda6

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Langley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting DHCP and DNS to work together
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:39:22 +1000

Thanks Ted,

Stuart

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Juergen Pfann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: recognizing SCSI tape *after* boot
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:42:19 +0200

Michal Szymanski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (tape drive not detected when powered off during boot)
> Is there a way to "rescan" SCSI bus and get access to such a tape drive
> on Linux when the system is already up and running?

Yes - if you know it, it's quite simple - like always ;-)
This is the command to "enable" my scanner after powering
it on (being at SCSI 0, bus 0, ID 5, LUN 0) :
---snip
echo "scsi add-single-device 0 0 5 0" >/proc/scsi/scsi
---snip
That's all about it ! Adjust that to the appropriate ID
of your tape drive (and, of course, with more than 1 HA,
to the resp. HA and bus #s).
If tape support is compiled into the kernel, you should
be able to use your (backup/whatever) SW with the tape
drive. Otherwise, the "st" module will be inserted on
demand - or do "insmod st" manually, just as you please.
To confirm this, you can do a "cat /proc/scsi/scsi",
and watch /var/log/messages for the appropriate syslog
messages.
"Disabling" the device before power-off, if you like to,
is achieved by - you guessed it -
'echo "scsi remove-single-device X X X X" >/proc/scsi/scsi'
(again, insert SCSI#, bus#, ID, LUN here).
If I needed this often, I'd write a 1- or 2-liner shell
script with that command, and possibly the "insmod st"
afterwards, and call that "tape-on" or something...
I think you got the idea...

Juergen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: Puzzling Lilo problem with backup and restore via tarball on CD-R
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:47:32 GMT

Perhaps someone here can help with a bizarre problem that has gotten me
stumped.  It is one of those things that seems like it should be really
simple to fix (and in the future prevent), but I have done quite a bit of
searching for a solution and found none.

I am trying to duplicate a Linux hard disk by making a tarball of the
original disk (minus the /mnt, /proc, and /tmp directory trees), putting the
tarball onto CD-R (together with instructions for the next person),
partitioning the new disk, unpacking the tarball onto the new disk, and then
fixing Lilo (and a few configuration files as necessary) on the new disk.
The idea is to send the CD-R to somebody else so that they can recreate the
Linux installation of the original disk on their new hard disk, adjusted if
necessary to take into account partitioning differences (for instance, not
having a Windows 2000 partition in front of the Linux partitions).

It ALMOST works right.  The problems are that in some cases I end up with
Lilo hanging at "LI" when the new disk is installed on its target system,
and that even when this does not happen, attempting to run the lilo command
on the new disk fails with the error message "First sector of /dev/hda1
doesn't have a valid boot signature."  I could not find any reference to
such an error message nor (more importantly) how to fix it in the man or
info pages for the lilo command, nor in any of the information about Lilo
(and not Lilo + some non-Linux operating system) on http://www.linuxdoc.org.
I did a grep for this error message in the Lilo source directory from a Red
Hat 6.2 source CD, and found it and the BOOT_SIGNATURE constant 0xAA55, and
also found this constant (with the name SIG_1) in
/usr/src/linux-2.2.14/arch/i386/boot/setup.S.  This showed me what is
missing, but gave no indication of how to fix it, other than (possibly) by
using dd and "vi -b" (or the equivalent*) to hack the first sector of
/dev/hda1 to fix the appropriate bytes.

(* Anyone want to recommend a hex editor, especially if it can work directly
on disk sectors, or really especially if it can act as a Linux-based
substitute for Norton Disk Editor?  I could really use this for tackling
another problem.)

Obviously, the above solution, while possibly viable for rescue of a downed
system with important stuff on it, is not viable for production of cloned
hard disks.  I figure I must be missing something really simple.  Does
anyone here have an idea how to fix this?  In the future, how should I
prevent this from happening?

Original disk partitioning scheme (/dev/hda1 created by Norton Ghost
6.5; other partitions created by the Red Hat Linux 6.2 GUI version of Disk
Druid):

Volume  Mount point     Size (approx.)
/dev/hda1       /win2k  2045 M
/dev/hda2       /boot    125 M
/dev/hda5       (swap)   256 M
/dev/hda6       /       3600 M

New disk partitioning scheme (created by cfdisk on 1 new disk and by
fdisk on the other new disk, in both cases while running under Hard
Hat Linux 1.1):

Volume  Mount point     Size (approx.)
/dev/hda1       /boot    125 M
/dev/hda5       (swap)   256 M
/dev/hda6       /               4555 M

In both cases, /etc/lilo.conf (as mounted on the new system) has stanzas
pointing to 3 different kernels (2 configurations of 2.2.14 and 1
configuration of 2.2.12-20b).

I did make sure to adjust /etc/fstab (as mounted on the new system) to
reflect the new partitioning scheme, and I did make sure to point Lilo to
the new disk on the machine used to do the restore (and also removed
references to the Windows 2000 partition from /etc/lilo.conf).  No errors
occurred while doing this, and in 1 case I could boot off the new hard
disk on its own machine, but Lilo would not let me make changes, instead
giving the above-noted error message, regardless of whether I booted from
the new disk or from a Red Hat 6.2 installation CD in rescue mode.  I
tried moving everything out of /boot on the new hard disk, deleting and
recreating the /dev/hda1 partition, and then moving everything back in,
but this did not help (and got me to freezing at "LI" thereafter).  One
of the new hard disks froze at "LI" from the time it was put into its
own machine.  Using "lilo -v -v -v" instead of lilo printed considerable
debugging information about each stanza it found in lilo.conf, but did
not print any useful information about my current problem.

In the past, I have successfully done a file-by-file disk-to-disk copy
of a Linux system (using "cp -a" on each top-level directory to copy)
without having this problem.

Except as noted above for the creation of some of the partitions on the
original hard disk, I have been using MontaVista Software Hard Hat Linux 1.1
with an upgraded kernel in all cases -- this is closely related to Red Hat
6.1.  The original kernel is 2.2.12-20b; the upgraded kernel is 2.2.14 as
taken from a Red Hat 6.2 source CD.  (As to why I am using such old kernels:
this is for embedded systems people with some pre-alpha software that
currently absolutely has to have these old kernels.)  The Lilo version is
21.

Please e-mail as well as post -- although this news server seems to be
pretty good so far, I haven't tested it for very long.

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
New e-mail address is approximately:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:01:28 +0200

>    I have windows 98(SE) installed on the first HDD.I bought a new hard
> disk to install linux and to dual boot with windows 98.

<snip>

> 1. windows took a long time to load..There was a blank screen with just a
> blinking curson on the left top corner for over 5 seconds.Windows did come
> up after that..

It starts in 5 seconds? And I have to wait at least a minute or two for
windoze to start. (on a PIII)

> 2. But,if I try to run 'windows explorer' the system hangs..

That's not a linux program I ever heard of.

> There a
> distinct sound of windows accessing the hard drive.Even ctrl+alt+del does
> not work.I need to do a hard boot.
>
> What could be the problem?

windows

> Has anyone else faced similar problems?

no, I have other windows problems though.

> Please suggest some solution..

Use linux :-)

> Here are some more details:
> 1.OS Versions : Red hat linux 7.0,Windows 98.
> 2.Hard disk   : EIDE ,7200rpm 40 GB western digital(cavalier model).

could well be the problem
I have no idea how windows handles these large discs.

And look at the partitiontable as David mentioned.
It could just as well be the problem.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Volker Wedemeier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel / hardware problem
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:20:21 +0200

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Mladen Gavrilovic wrote:

> If you have pciutils installed, youcan use "lspci" to list the devices
> and their IDs.  As for the rest of your problem, I can't help you
> because I don't have a joystick installed (yet).

Thanks for the hint.
So now I know which device is on the same interrupt with the
soundcard.

But ...
How do I prevent this other device from using the same IRQ? I know,
there are options in the BIOS about IRQ-assignment of pci-devices
(something like "PnP OS installed - yes/no") and there are also some
options in the linux kernel concerning PnP setup of the hardware. But
which ones are the ones I should look at?
Again: My 2.2.16 kernel works with the hardware and also with the
identical BIOS settings. So I think there is something in the 2.4.2 kernel
that I did not configure correctly.

Thanks,

      Volker

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest