From: PeteCool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Copying Partitions
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:30:07 GMT

How can I copy a partition from one drive to another?

Thanks,
Pete

------------------------------

From: PeteCool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Swap Partition?
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:30:07 GMT

Can the swap partition be on a different drive than the one where linux is
installed?

If yes, how do we do that?

Thanks,
Pete

------------------------------

From: Raffael Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copying Partitions
Date: 29 Jun 2000 15:36:12 +0200

PeteCool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> How can I copy a partition from one drive to another?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> --

Yes, use "cp -a". See also the Harddisk-Upgrade-Mini-HOWTO for more
information.

--
Raffael Herzog
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Raffael Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swap Partition?
Date: 29 Jun 2000 15:39:23 +0200

PeteCool <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Can the swap partition be on a different drive than the one where linux is
> installed?
>
> If yes, how do we do that?
>
> Thanks,
> Pete
>
> --

No problem. Just put a line like the following in your /etc/fstab:

/dev/hdb6       swap    swap    defaults        0  0

You can also specify more than one swap partition like that, if you
like. If you don't want to reboot after you made your new swap
partition, use swapon. For more infos:

man mkswap
man swapon
man fstab

--
Raffael Herzog
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "TJ O Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TIS FWTK
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:46:44 +0100

Hi
I'm just after downloading the TIS FWTK and im trying to configure it.
I've run my 'make' and 'make install' but when i come to initializing the
database and running './authsrv', I can't find it. I don't know what to do
to get it.

Does anybody know if they can solve my problem or do ye know
where i can find information on it.

We are using kernel 2.2.13

Thanks for any answer
TJ

--

TJ O'Connor                          2200 Cork Airport Business Park,
Sys Admin.                            Kinsale Rd., Cork, Ireland.

------------------------------

From: CKTong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Intel i810 chipset and display problem
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 21:48:08 +0800

I have problem with display on the above chipset.

When I try to use the rpm download from Intel site,
I follow the instruction detail from the site, I have the message saying
that:

/var/tmp/rpm -tmp.68911 : made : command not found
Bad exit from status from /var/tmp/rpm -tmp.68911 (0% build)

I am using Redhat 6.2 on my Celeron 400Mhz

What seem to be the problem ?

Any help will be much appreciated.

CK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Remote X login to linux server ???
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:42:11 GMT

i just get a blank grey screen on my windows viewer? what settings do i
need to do?

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> In aus.computers.linux Jeremy Low <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Do I have to telnet in first before I can use vnc ???
>
> not once its running.
>
> someone has to set it running to start with.
> you can get it started automatically though.
>
> eg run this at boot ...
> doprog /dev/tty8 /usr/X11R6/bin/vncserver -depth 16 :1 &> /dev/null
>                                                  ^^^
>                                                 screen number
>
> then you don't telnet in at all.
> just point your vnc client at  the server.
>
> eg
> vncviewer   hostname:1
>
> leon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: DarBag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to uninstall boot manager
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:03:36 GMT

I just installed Caldera Openlinux on my companies IBM Thinkpad 600e.
I am only trying it out and now need to uninstall linux.  I placed the
Boot Manager in the Master boot location (if you know what I mean) and
I assume it will still be there when I get rid of the Linux partition.

How do I get rid of the Boot Manager to that it will boot into windows
automatically?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DarBag

From: "TJ O Connor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TIS Firewall Toolkit
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:16:52 +0100

Hi
I'm just after downloading the TIS FWTK and im trying to configure it.
I've run my 'make' and 'make install' but when i come to initializing the
database and running './authsrv', I can't find it. I don't know what to do
to get it.

When i run a make in the auth directory this is what happens

cc -g -o authsrv authsrv.o proto.o db.o pass.o srvio.o     ../libauth.a
../libfwall.a
db.o: In function `auth_dbopen':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:66: undefined reference to `dbm_open'
db.o: In function `auth_dbclose':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:83: undefined reference to `dbm_close'
db.o: In function `auth_dbgetu':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:123: undefined reference to `dbm_fetch'
db.o: In function `auth_dbputu':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:152: undefined reference to `dbm_store'
db.o: In function `auth_dbdelu':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:176: undefined reference to `dbm_delete'
db.o: In function `auth_dbtraversestart':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:196: undefined reference to `dbm_firstkey'
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:200: undefined reference to `dbm_fetch'
db.o: In function `auth_dbtraversenext':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:225: undefined reference to `dbm_nextkey'
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/db.c:229: undefined reference to `dbm_fetch'
pass.o: In function `passverify':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/pass.c:39: undefined reference to `crypt'
pass.o: In function `passset':
/usr/local/src/fwtk/auth/pass.c:70: undefined reference to `crypt'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [authsrv] Error 1

If anyone knows anything about this it would be very helpful.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Miller)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: "screen" problems while using a vt320
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:16:09 GMT

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use my vt320 terminal with the screen program. Screen
(for anyone who hasn't used it) multiplexes a terminal, sort of like what X
is to running multiple xterms :) I wanted to ask here before bugging the
maintainer of the package.

Screen works just fine from an xterm or the console. But, when I run it from
my vt320 it does nothing, just prints one blank line. It doesn't even start
a new shell, which the man page says is one of the first things it does.
I've tried everything that I know to do, including running the term as a
vt100 (which sucks because I can't page up or down).

I'm using slack 7 and I hope someone can give me some ideas. Plain shell
job control leaves much to be desired. I'm using Screen version 3.09.05.

Thanks for any help.  Matthew
(if you email me edit my address)

------------------------------

From: mindglow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new to linux
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 14:34:18 GMT

firstly welcome to linux!

try ctrl-alt-plus/minus  (w/plus on your keypad)

you can use several tools (one is called Xconfigurator) to play with the
X settings

you can edit the XF86 configuration file in /etc to train X to start
with the resolution you want

also read the how-to's. they contain _very_ usefull information.

mindglow

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest