From: Sylvain Lhullier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how use map command in vim??
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:26:53 GMT

> Can somebody give me a example?
> :map ^i  include
> Is it ???
> But it does not run.
> I means define a shortcut key of mine in vim so that I can input my program
> quickly.

  After map, you have to put :
. the key
. the commands sequence

   This sequence is the same key that you could use is normal mode.
For your problem, you have to get into insert mode (so i key),
after the texte, and after escape to return to command mode.
   So:

:map t iinclude^[
^[ is for escape (get it with ^v[escape])
I'm not sure you can map ^i

   You can also use abrevations :
:ab in include
   And then in insert mode, write in[space] and then
you can see include !

   Write to me if you have problems.
Sorry for my english ...

Hope it helps.

--
Sylvain Lhullier
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leonllyu)
Date: 12 Apr 2001 04:45:10 GMT
Subject: x86 boot sector

Is it possible to start a x86 boot sector file under linux? I have solaris
image file that is a x86 boot sector on my hard disk. How could it be possible
to run it under linux? Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: Re: Puzzling Lilo problem with backup . . . (dain bramage found, but now 2
other annoying problems)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:51:50 GMT

"Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
><snip>
>
>> necessary to take into account partitioning differences (for instance, not
>> having a Windows 2000 partition in front of the Linux partitions).
>
><snip>
>
>> on the new disk fails with the error message "First sector of /dev/hda1
>> doesn't have a valid boot signature."  I could not find any reference to
>
>It's referring to your non-existing win2k partition

        D'OH!  I thought I had deleted the reference to this out of my
/etc/lilo.conf, but in fact I had only deleted it out of my /etc/lilo.conf.hdc
(the version I used to set up Lilo on the machine used to do the file
restore).  When I was looking at /etc/lilo.conf on the new machine while
booted from the Red Hat 6.2 installation CD in rescue mode, the "other"
stanza was off the bottom with the screen in 80 * 24 mode instead of the 80 *
60 mode I am used to.  I can't believe it took me several hours to realize
this.  D'OOOOooooooohhhhhhh . . . !

        Strangely, /dev/hda1 mysteriously acquired a boot signature (visible
using dd and then od on the resulting dump file) on one of the hard disks that
I did this to, but this event was not coincidental with my deleting and
recreating this partition.

        Anyway, Lilo now works without further problems, but I found a
couple of other annoying problems on my restored installations:  xfs (X font
server) and atd (at daemon) both fail to start on boot, and atd also fails
when started manually.  On boot, the xfs starter script prints the "OK"
message, but then xfs mysteriously dies with no error message (and none
appears in /var/log/boot.log); if I start it manually, it works.  On boot,
the atd starter script prints "FAIL", but no other error messages appear (not
even in /var/log/boot.log, except to say that it failed to start); the same
thing happens if I try to start it manually.  I would be glad to hear what
would cause these problems on restored disks but not the original -- even if
it is something stupid, I would rather be told that I am doing something
stupid than to flounder around for hours trying to reinvent the wheel.  Your
help here is much appreciated.

>[. . .]
>> (* Anyone want to recommend a hex editor, especially if it can work
>directly
>> on disk sectors, or really especially if it can act as a Linux-based
>> substitute for Norton Disk Editor?  I could really use this for tackling
>> another problem.)
>
>Are you sure you want this? You can mess up heavily.
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It already is.
>I suppose any hexeditor can (mc -v /dev/hda eg.) but I would think
>twice before proceeding.

        Well, in this other problem that I may be told to tackle, the hard
disk contains important stuff (not my stuff -- I back up), and has ALREADY
been messed up heavily (read FAT partition with important stuff reformatted
ext2 with Linux installed over it).  Using dd on this disk as a second (and
unmounted) disk, I can see that at least some of the important stuff is still
physically present in sectors, but without a good hex editor, it is a real
pain to extract.  If management commands, I will try mc, or bvi or hexedit as
suggested by the other poster.  (As makes sense, I'd rather not do this at
all, but somebody didn't think to make sure that backups of their critical
data were not just made but also accessible and usable, and this happened.)

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
New e-mail address is approximately:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Burning binaries onto cd
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:56:17 GMT

Jeff wrote:

> For a new unix/linux user, anybody know how to burn the cd's.  I tried using
> standard "Joliet", but it changed the files.  Do I have to change the layout
> of the files before I create?  Any help is appreciated.
>
> -Jeff

In what way did it change the files? If you are trying to make an "iso"
and it is changing file permissions then you need to use the "-R" option
with mkisofs instead of the "-r" option.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.157% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: Re: kernel panic w/ kernel 2.4.2-1 -> VFS:Unable to mounth root fs on 03:44
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 05:00:21 GMT

"AS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I installed the kernel-image-2.4.2-586tsc_2.4.2-1_i386.deb in to my
>pentium 200 mmx running unstable debian. I am getting the following
>kernel panic. How can I solve this proble? Thanks, AS.
>
>devfs: boot_option:0x2
>request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
>VFS: Cannot open root device "344" or "03:44"
>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:44
>[. . .]
>--- Here is my /etc/fstab
>/dev/hdb4       /             ext2   defaults,errors=remount-ro 0      1
>/dev/hdb5       none          swap   sw                         0      0
>proc            /proc         proc   defaults                   0      0
>/dev/hdb6       /usr          ext2   defaults                   0      2
>/dev/hdb3       /var          ext2   defaults                   0      2
>/dev/hdb1       /home         ext2   defaults                   0      2
>/dev/fd0       /floppy       vfat    user,noauto                0      0
>/dev/cdrom     /cdrom        iso9660 user,noauto,ro             0      0
>/dev/hdd4       /big          ext2   defaults                   0      2
>/dev/hdd1       none          swap   sw                         0      0
>/dev/hdd2       none          swap   sw                         0      0
>/dev/hdd3       none          swap   sw                         0      0
>usbdevfs       /proc/bus/usb  usbdevfs  defaults                0      0

        This may be a dumb question, but how did you manage to get /dev/hdb4
to be a file system?  Normally, /dev/hd?5 is the identifier for first logical
volume within the extended partition.  For /dev/hdd, I could easily believe
/dev/hdd4 is the 4th primary partition, but that doesn't seem to work for
/dev/hdb.  Are you sure you aren't off by 1 in your disk device identifier
numbers?  If the above is indeed correct, feel free to ignore this message
entirely (except that I would like to hear how /dev/hdb4 rather than /dev/hdb5
ended up being the 1st logical volume).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephane)
Subject: Re: Clock Drift
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 08:15:52 +0200

Le Sun, 08 Apr 2001 18:32:56 GMT, None A ecrit:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to correct the clock drift in my system.
>It drifts 32.5 seconds a day. I run ntpdate once
>a day to correct this. I also edited the /etc/adjtime
>file to set the drift correction to 32.5. This didn't
>seem to have any affect... Is there something I need
>to restart ? The clock faq infers that the kernel will
>use this value to adjust the for the drift.

ntpdate is good to have the correct clock a boot, you have to run it
only one time (you need to have a link with Internet during boot).

During the live of your system, you have to run ntpd who will correct
your clock drift permanently.

If you want to adjust clock of your hardware, it is possible to put this
in the crontab of root.

0 0 * * * /sbin/clock -w

Stephane TOUGARD

------------------------------

From: "Jacob Williams" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Configuring Syslog to Accept External Messages
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 15:11:59 +1000

I know its probably just a typo in your message but shouldnt Loca1 5 be
Local 5 in your syslog.conf file ?

news:358B6.973$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Nader <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: KDE 2.1.1 - Cannot remove Child Panel extension
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:35:46 -0700

I've added a few Child Panels (right click on
panel-->Add-->Extension-->Child Panel) as I was learning how to use KDE
2.1.1.  Now I cannot remove them.  There is no obvious "remove"
extension function.  How do I remove them?

------------------------------

From: "BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: need help installing linux
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 05:35:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "pezdro"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am completely new to the whole idea of linux and how to install it
> safely on to my computer.
>
> I have to hard drives. A primary 15 gig and a secondary 2 gig. I want to
> install linux on to the secondary hard drive and be able to boot up to
> either operating system when I boot up.
>
> I have boot magic and partion magic, I just need to know what exactly do
> I have to do to achieve this goal so I can finally start using linux.
>
> The version I have is Mandrake 7.0. Thanks for your help.
>
> --

http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/doc/72/en/user.html/index.html

First, make a windoze or bootmagic boot disk if you don't already have one
"just in case".

Install mandrake. It'll give you the option of installing it on the second
disk (/dev/hdb if its slave on the primary ide, hdc if its master on the
second ide, and hdd if its slave on the second ide). Don't put it on
/dev/hda or you'll overwrite your windoze install (assuming its the
primary master drive).

You could use partitionmagic to partition the second harddrive, but I'd
recommend just using the utilities available during the Mandrake install
to partition it.

During the install, do NOT install grub (or lilo, they're both boot
loaders and depending on the version of mandrake they may both be
available) in the master boot record if you want to use boot magic. It'll
give you the option of intalling it on something like the first partition
of the linux install. BTW, you can use grub or lilo to boot windoze too.

Make sure you make a boot disk when it offers during the install.

Then, after its installed, you can go back to windoze and run boot magic
configuration. It may or maynot automatically find the linux setup (I
think it depends on the version of bootmagic). If not automatically
sensed, configure it to add linux to the boot options, and away you go.

------------------------------

From: tech2kjason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:03:16 -0500

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:40:04 GMT, "AS" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I installed the kernel-image-2.4.2-586tsc_2.4.2-1_i386.deb in to my
>pentium 200 mmx running unstable debian. I am getting the following
>kernel panic. How can I solve this proble? Thanks, AS.
>
>devfs: boot_option:0x2
>request_module[block-major-3]: Root fs not mounted
>VFS: Cannot open root device "344" or "03:44"
>Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:44
>
>--- Here is my /etc/lilo.conf:
>boot=/dev/hdb4
>root=/dev/hdb4
>install=/boot/boot.b
>map=/boot/map
>vga=normal
>delay=20

This one has me curious... are you sure that the new vmlinuz is located here?
>image=/vmlinuz
>        label=Linux
>        read-only

and not under /boot/vmlinuz? Also, make sure that it's right name (vmlinuz,
vmlinuz-2.4.2), etc...

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: how to dis-partition?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 23:24:12 -0700

"ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:v18z6.237$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> too cool.  thx!  ok... since I don't have enough room on / to move /usr's
> contents I'll have to shrink /usr and give the space to /.  the docs for
> parted don't specifically state it but I imagine a resize kesps data.  if
> this isn't the case, please someone scream!
>
> here's my layout:
>
> (parted) print
> Disk geometry for /dev/hda: 0.000-19623.515 megabytes
> Disk label type: msdos
> Minor    Start       End     Type      Filesystem  Flags
> 1          0.031     23.532  primary   ext2        boot
> 2         23.533  19618.439  extended
> 5         23.563   8958.120  logical   ext2
> 6       8958.151  17892.707  logical   ext2
> 7      17892.738  18151.567  logical   ext2
> 8      18151.598  18410.427  logical   ext2
> 9      18410.458  18669.287  logical   linux-swap
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/hda8               256667     83514    159901  35% /
> /dev/hda5              9005272   3280128   5267696  39% /usr
>
> and what I mean to do.
>
> parted# resize 5 23.563  4490.842
> parted# move 6 4490.873 13425.429
> parted# move 7 13425.460 13684.289
> parted# resize 8 13684.320 18410.427
>
> does the above seem reasonable?
>
> 1k thx - e

ok, the trouble with the above plan is that in order to use parted on a
partition that partition (I think) has to be umounted.  here's what I get:

# parted
(parted) resize 5 23.563  4490.842
Warning: Partition is being used.
Ignore Cancel ? Ignore
Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted!  Run e2fsch first!
(parted)

but if I try to:

# umount /usr
umount: /usr: device is busy

which happens even when I:

# init s

shoot... how do I unmount /usr (/dev/hda5) and /var and the other
filesystems I need to unmount in order to rearrange their partiations???

1k tia - e

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem Installing Red Hat linux on a second HDD
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:35:54 +0200

> I've basically got a similar partition "layout" -- LILO in the MBR,
Windoze
> on the first HD, Linux on the second, but there is another FAT partition
on
> the 2nd HD as well. Ever since installing a new kernel image (using LILO)
> Windoze claims that my second IDE channel doesn't work anymore (that's
where
> the Linux partition goodness is)... Well, I found out that Windoze (95 in
my
> case) is actually looking at ALL boot sectors of ALL partitions mentioned
in
> the MBR on the 2nd HD, checking if it's FAT partitions -- and since it
finds
> the Linux goodness it thinks the IDE channel doesn't work right.
>
> So, I assume you could just change the partition type in the partition
table
> to "unformatted" so that Windoze doesn't check it... that might help. I
> think LILO can be configured to write a special partition table for
certain
> images, I haven't tried that though. (you could have a special partition
> table for Windows, maybe.)
>
> Just live with the fact that Windoze doesn't work well together with
> Linux... or anything other than itself. ;-)

If you show me your partitiontable, it may be easily solved.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: [HELP] mount cdrom
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:38:04 +0200

> is ln command the link command?

There are manpages for these questions.
`man ln` should tell you all you need to know on ln

> > rm /dev/cdrom
> > ln -s /dev/hda /dev/cdrom

`ln -s` creates a symbolic link

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Steve Remington" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:40:30 GMT

Jacob,

Your were right there was a typo, however, it did not seem to fix the
problem.

Any other ideas?

Regards,
Steve
=======================================
Camberwell, Victoria, Australia
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
=======================================
Great spirits have always encountered
violent opposition from mediocre minds.
Albert Einstein
=======================================
news:wKaB6.78$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create ext2 Partition from Windows
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 08:41:51 +0200

> I created an image file, but all of the implementations of rawrite I've
> found so far do not allow me to write to anything but floppies.  I have
> been thinking about researching GNU Parted to see if it would work.  Do
> you know of any rawrite or similar utilities that will write to disks
> other than floppies?

I really don't know.
Perhaps a DOS version of dd exists?
I kind of assumed that rawrite would let you select the device to write too.

Eric

------------------------------

From: tech2kjason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrading to 2.4 kernel and egcs
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 02:06:09 -0500

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001 01:56:15 GMT, "stevek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>upgrading to 2.4 kernel, the changes doc says to have egcs 1.1.2 for
>"absolute stability".  Not looking for trouble so is it necessary to
>downgrade from gcc 2.96 as the doc says it may cause problems??

As long as you have gcc-2.96-79, you won't have any problems in compilation...
Does it really recommend egcs-1.1.2? I don't even have it installed

>then, can someone clarify how to set up the directories for the tar file,
>the objdir and srcdir as described in the instructions.  I get messages that
>say file not found, etc when trying to do the "srcdir/ config"
>
>any thoughts?  thanks

copy the tar file into the /usr/src/ directory,
if it's a just a tar file type:         tar xpvf linux-2.4.0.tar
if it's a tar.gz file type:     tar zxpvf linux-2.4.0.tar.gz

this will create the kernel source ( directories and all ).
cd into the new directory,
type make config

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest