Linux-Setup Digest #55, Volume #19                Sun, 2 Jul 00 16:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Large HD's ("Sir Adam of Rudny")
  Re: HLP Newbie: kppp and password (Patricia)
  My Linux Adventure (Laura Goodwin)
  Re: Floppy install only - Newbie-ish question. ("David ..")
  Fetchmail Make Problem (Jeff Grossman)
  Re: Font server and XFree 4.0 (James Franklin)
  Re: Floppy install only - Newbie-ish question. (pastorJohn)
  Re: My Linux Adventure
  Re: My Linux Adventure (pastorJohn)
  Re: Large HD's (CoryJ)
  Re: We are selling software (C.J.)
  Re: Telnet not starting on RH 6.2 (C.J.)
  Re: My Linux Adventure ("David M. Carney")
  Re: Why is my harddisk so slow? (C.J.)
  Re: Makeing Linux into a dumb(ish) term (CoryJ)
  Wrong major/minor number (Steve Emmett)
  Re: Floppy install only - Newbie-ish question. ("David ..")
  No Sound for XMMS or CDP ("David M. Carney")
  Re: Floppy install only - Newbie-ish question. (CoryJ)
  Re: Help: Internet use (Chiefy)
  Re: My Linux Adventure (Richard Steiner)

From: "Sir Adam of Rudny" <arudny*remove*@europe.com>
Subject: Re: Large HD's
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 17:16:11 GMT

It's a BIOS limitation. Check in your BIOS and see what it says. If it only
shows 8.4 or 8.5 gigs, it's a limitation. You need to go to your
manufacturer's web site and download a patch or use a DDO (Dynamic Disk
Overlay) such as OnTrack's Disk Manager. Check with maxtor, they have some
other DDO software too.

If you need more info, contact me.

Adam M. Rudny
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1-877-798-0937

news:WTJ75.29675$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Patricia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HLP Newbie: kppp and password
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 19:16:54 +0200

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000, Romano wrote:
>Is there any way to run kppp and in general pppd connections in
>normal user mode?
>I mean I do not want to insert the root password every time I connect to
>
>my ISP ( I have a PC and I'm the unique user.. It is not conformable to
>type password every time.......
>
>Thank you
Romano
change your /etc/pam.d/kppp from:
    #auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_rootok.so
    auth  sufficient /lib/security/pam_permit.so

--
Good Luck
Patricia

http://www.crosswinds.net/~beginnerslinux
http://beginnerslinux.org
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
  7:17pm  up 5 days, 20:48,  1 user,  load average: 1.39, 1.40, 1.32
Sun Jul  2 19:17:56 CEST 2000

------------------------------

From: Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: My Linux Adventure
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:42:21 -0400

CAPTAIN'S LOG, supplemental:

I have successfully partitioned, formatted, and loaded Linux (Definite
7.0) onto my second hard drive, survived the install process (a rough
passage) and have booted successfully into this fascinating new world.

It looks somewhat familiar, this KDE GUI landscape, but also weirdly
alien at 16 colors, 600x400.  And it's quiet...too quiet.  In fact
there's no sound at all, except that of my own breathing, and the
clatter of my keys.

I was told there would be a Netscape transport station here, but I don't
see it.  Without my trusty Windows drivers loaded and devices fully
configured, I'm stuck here looking at the desktop.  Maybe I'll change
the wallpaper.  I can at least stay busy for a little while that way,
but I don't think it will keep me from going crazy in the long run.

Ironic:  Normally I'd be screaming at Scotty for more bandwidth, but
right now I'd be satisfied with a 16 bit, 800x600.  Funny how an
emergency situation makes you reorganize your priorities....

(to be continued)

--
"Sureshot" Laura
http://pcwranglers.com/

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy install only - Newbie-ish question.
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:17:57 -0500

pastorJohn wrote:

> Hi...
>
>         I have a NEC Versa V/50 laptop - 486 50 MHz processor, 12 Mb
> ram, 540 Meg hard drive in two partitions - 230 Mb Dos/WIN95 and 210
> Mb Linux - some distro I haven't been using much.  No CD drive, and
> since networking is not set up well, may as well say no way to network
> install.  I have tried it unsuccessfully many times.
>
> I want to repartition the HDD into one Linux partition and a small
> swap space of about 32 MB.  I have Zipslack in 26 1.3 Mb zip files
> that I can transfer by floppy.
>
> The major problem right now is that I can't run Linux off of the hard
> drive AND wipe the hard drive to do a new install.  Since I don't have
> a HDD adapter, that is not an option.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to set up a 2 to 3 floppy Linux that I can run
> just to do the fdisk, mke2fs, cp and unzip part of the process?
> Zipslack has the boot floppy covered for setup once you are that far.
>
> Zipslack is from Slackware 7.1
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.

If it is presently running DOS/windoz just do a fdisk and delete all
DOS/windoz partitions and then install linux.

If it is running linux you should be able to install it and make any
changes needed during the installation.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: Jeff Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fetchmail Make Problem
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 10:32:00 -0700

Claudio Bley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Jeff Grossman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> When I try to make Fetchmail I get the following error:
>>
>> gcc -L/usr/kerberos/lib -L/usr/kerberos/lib -s rcfile_y.o rcfile_l.o
>> socket.o ge
>> tpass.o pop2.o pop3.o imap.o etrn.o fetchmail.o idle.o env.o options.o
>> daemon.o
>> driver.o sink.o rfc822.o smtp.o xmalloc.o uid.o mxget.o md5ify.o rpa.o
>> interface
>> .o netrc.o base64.o error.o unmime.o conf.o checkalias.o smbdes.o
>> smbencrypt.o s
>> mbmd4.o smbutil.o ipv6-connect.o  md5c.o -lkrb4 -ldes425 -lcrypt
>> -lresolv -lkrb
>> 5 -lcrypto -lcom_err -lfl  -o fetchmail
>> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lcrypto
>
>This basically means the linker could not find the library named
>'libcrypto.so' or 'libcrypto.a'. If it is somewhere in your system,
>make sure that the linker would find it (e.g. by adding the path to your
>LD_LOADPATH variable).
>
>Otherwise, you got to get the krb5-libs-1.0.5-1.i386.rpm or newer version
>for example at rpmfind.net. (you may also download the source package
>krb5-1.0.5-1.src.rpm from there).

How would I fix the above problem?  Where would I find the LD_LOADPATH
variable?  I have the krb5-libs rpm installed, but still have the same
problem.

Thanks,
Jeff
---

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Franklin)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Font server and XFree 4.0
Date: 2 Jul 2000 12:59:08 -0600

On Sat, 01 Jul 2000 21:57:44 +0200, Andreas Tretow wrote:
>It looks like this font is not installed. Check your fontpaths in
>/etc/X11/XF86Config and check if you have installed the fonts correctly.
>
>BTW, xfs, the X font server is only necessary when your machine is
>serving fonts to other machines on the network. If this is not the case,
>you don't need it.
>
>I hope this helps
>
>--
>Andreas Tretow
>tretow(spamalamadingdong)@snafu.de
>(to reply, just remove everything that doen't seem right from the
>address)

I disagree with you regarding the necessity of xfs.  I read your comment about
it not being needed.  Since I am the only user of my system, and I log in only
at the computer, I appeared not to need xfs.  I promptly removed it from
startup etc, and found that my computer would not go into graphical mode (X)
anymore.  I had to put it back the way it was for X to start.
--
James

------------------------------

From: j*[EMAIL PROTECTED] (pastorJohn)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:17:26 GMT

David:

        Thank you, but I already tried both NFS and FTP without
success.  Even SMB won't work over the network.  I have a NE2000 clone
PCMCIA network card that I have yet to get working during install.  In
fact, without a CD drive on it, there doesn't seem to be any way to
get an install to work.  Network install is definitely out.

        As I previously posted the last resort seems to be find a
small 2 to 3 floppy Linux that can reliably let me fdisk the hard
drive, reformat it, and copy the Zipslack zips to hda1 from floppy,
and unzip them.  The drive is currently split 50/50 Dos/Linux, with
Linux being on hda2.  Neither half is really big enough, so what I am
left with is fdisk and make 1 large partition and a small swap space.

I am looking for a small 2 to 3 floppy Linux, if anyone knows of one
that will let me run the following:

fdisk
mke2fs
mkswap
cp
unzip

        Any suggestions?

John

**SNIP**>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: My Linux Adventure
Date: 2 Jul 2000 18:23:36 GMT

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 12:42:21 -0400, Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>CAPTAIN'S LOG, supplemental:
>
>I have successfully partitioned, formatted, and loaded Linux (Definite
>7.0) onto my second hard drive, survived the install process (a rough
>passage) and have booted successfully into this fascinating new world.

Indeed it is, a fascinating world to be sure.

>It looks somewhat familiar, this KDE GUI landscape, but also weirdly
>alien at 16 colors, 600x400.

Familiar, but it just won't crash. Ever!

>I'm stuck here looking at the desktop.  Maybe I'll change
>the wallpaper.  I can at least stay busy for a little while that way,
>but I don't think it will keep me from going crazy in the long run.

It won't. It's better if you are crazy. Really...

--
Regards
          Groover.

------------------------------

From: j*[EMAIL PROTECTED] (pastorJohn)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:33:39 GMT

Captain:

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>CAPTAIN'S LOG, supplemental:

>It looks somewhat familiar, this KDE GUI landscape, but also weirdly
>alien at 16 colors, 600x400.  And it's quiet...too quiet.  In fact
>there's no sound at all, except that of my own breathing, and the
>clatter of my keys.

login as root

#sndconfig

should run fine.

**SNIP**

pastorJohn
John Kiehn
email in header is bogus, please reply here.  Long story available on
request.

------------------------------

From: CoryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:41:25 GMT

What are you using to partition your drive?
Disk Druid (at least from the RedHat v6.1 era) won't partition above the
8Gb mark, and won't even create partitions that cross the 8Gb mark.  The
only real trick is to make sure your /boot partition is below the 8Gb
mark, AND use a different utility to partition your drives.  I used
Linux's fdisk to partition my 20Gb drive like this:

3Gb NT partition
16Mb Linux (/boot) partition
128Mb Linux Swap
2Gb FAT partition
~14Gb Linux (remainder of drive) partition

If you are using only Linux on this drive, you can probably get away
with just a swap and Linux partition.  fdisk doesn't seem to have any
problems at all with the large drives (>8Gb)  If you aren't able to
access above 8Gb on your drive with fdisk (Linux's NOT DOS) then your
BIOS may not correctly support large drives.

> I just installed a 20gig Maxtor HD, but ended up with 8 and a half gig
of
> space.  I see that the cylinders, sectors, heads settings add up to
8.5 gig.
> How do I get the remaining 12gig?  Thanks,  --sw

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: We are selling software
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:54:17 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Vanstory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We are selling software
>for lowest price in the world (40$-140$)
>
>Check it out at http://www.cdnow2000.com immediately

Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't FREE (as in most Linux software) a lower
price?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Telnet not starting on RH 6.2
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:56:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Randy Mullican
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am try to get telnet working on a RH 6.2 machine.
>I have done a custom install of RH 6.2, verified that the telnet client
>and server packages are installed, checked my hosts.allow file,
>verified that the inetd will start and run.
>Here is the problem with the telnet line uncommented inetd will not
>start, and places the following in /var/log/messages:
>inetd[468]: telnet: too many arguments, max 20.
>I have tried searching all the archives I can think of and have found no
>help.

Could you post that line from your /etc/inetd.conf file?

------------------------------

From: "David M. Carney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:56:41 -0500

Captain, you must go in search of new worlds! I'm talking free software!
Go first to the homeworld of http://www.freshmeat.net. Then, try
http://www.linuxapps.com.

There are many others. Search the galaxy and you will not be disappointed!

David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Why is my harddisk so slow?
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:59:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Cliff Pennock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I've posted this on other newsgroups before, but nobody seems to be able
>to answer my question so I'll try in this newsgroup too...
>
>Hardware: Celeron500, 128 Mb Samsung 15.3Gb UDMA mode4 HDD, SiS5513 IDE
>          controller.
>Kernel  : 2.2.16, patched with ide-2.2.16.20000630
>BIOS    : Detects the harddisk as PIO4 and UDMA4
>hdparm  : 3.9-1, params: -d1 -m16 -c1 -A1 (even tried -X66)
>          (for some reason, after installing 3.9-1 my hdparm
>          manpages were gone)

You might want to take a look at
http://oreilly.linux.com/pub/a/linux/2000/06/29/hdparm.html

for some tips on other settings to try in hdparm

------------------------------

From: CoryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Makeing Linux into a dumb(ish) term
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 18:47:34 GMT

> >What I can't figure out:
> >  How can I get a different telnet in each virtual terminal?  Since
> >telnet doesn't know anything about the different terminals accessed
via
> >ALT+F1, etc. the 2nd and higher copy of telnet that I run just bleeds
> >over onto the Alt+F1 session.  Is there any way I can get them to
leave
> >each other alone?
>
> Checkout `man 1 open`.
>
> I discovered it the other day :-)

And I'm sure glad you did!  I installed the open rpm from RedHat and
checked out the man page.. perfect. Works just the way I want it to!
THANK YOU!  Last step is to put this in a small umsdos-style install on
the system's hard drive.  I have a feeling that THAT will be the easy
part.

From: Steve Emmett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Wrong major/minor number
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:06:01 -0500

when I execute

mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy

i received the error

mount:  /dev/fd0 has wrong major or minor number.

I'm assuming I've munged the floppy device and have to use MAKEDEV to
reconstruct it.  The question is how do I go about doing just that?

Thanks

--

Steve

              Steve Emmett
"A mind that is stretched to a new idea
 never returns to its original dimension"

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 13:52:46 -0500

pastorJohn wrote:

> David:
>
>         Thank you, but I already tried both NFS and FTP without
> success.  Even SMB won't work over the network.  I have a NE2000 clone
> PCMCIA network card that I have yet to get working during install.  In
> fact, without a CD drive on it, there doesn't seem to be any way to
> get an install to work.  Network install is definitely out.
>
>         As I previously posted the last resort seems to be find a
> small 2 to 3 floppy Linux that can reliably let me fdisk the hard
> drive, reformat it, and copy the Zipslack zips to hda1 from floppy,
> and unzip them.  The drive is currently split 50/50 Dos/Linux, with
> Linux being on hda2.  Neither half is really big enough, so what I am
> left with is fdisk and make 1 large partition and a small swap space.
>
> I am looking for a small 2 to 3 floppy Linux, if anyone knows of one
> that will let me run the following:
>
> fdisk
> mke2fs
> mkswap
> cp
> unzip
>
>         Any suggestions?
>
> John

Ok, Maybe one of thiese will help. I have never used them so no flames.

http://loaf.ecks.org/

http://www.toms.net/rb/home.html

Or:  http://www.google.com/linux
and search for:  "linux on a floppy"

From: "David M. Carney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: No Sound for XMMS or CDP
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 15:15:27 -0500

To all, thanks for reading!

I have no output from either XMMS or CDP. I used to have both. I've also
noticed that my Red Hat 6.1system doesn't boot the sound module at
startup, though it still boots the midi module. (Probably my problem)

I have a SoundBlaster 16 ISA PnP card.

All the Helix Gnome stuff like it's CD Player still work.

What's it going to take to get EVERYTHING working?

David

------------------------------

From: CoryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 19:14:39 GMT

>       As I previously posted the last resort seems to be find a
> small 2 to 3 floppy Linux that can reliably let me fdisk the hard
> drive, reformat it, and copy the Zipslack zips to hda1 from floppy,
> and unzip them.  The drive is currently split 50/50 Dos/Linux, with
> Linux being on hda2.  Neither half is really big enough, so what I am
> left with is fdisk and make 1 large partition and a small swap space.
>
> I am looking for a small 2 to 3 floppy Linux, if anyone knows of one
> that will let me run the following:
>
> fdisk
> mke2fs
> mkswap
> cp
> unzip

I don't remember too clearly since the last time I used slackware, but I
believe you can do a fair portion of those just using the boot/root
floppies.  You can download them.. and the RAWRITE utility from
ftp://ftp.slackware.com/pub/slackware/slackware-7.1/ under the
bootdsks.144 and rootdsks directories respectively.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Subject: Re: Help: Internet use
Date: 2 Jul 2000 19:35:20 GMT

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000 19:20:21 +1200, AJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have Debian linux (slink) and can connect to my isp
>with my modem as root no problem.
>
>Any ideas?

Place the names of the users that you would like to use the modem in the
group "dip" with;

   adduser [username] dip

Without the brackets of course :-)

LGB

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Steiner)
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 14:31:47 -0500

Here in comp.os.linux.setup, Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
spake unto us, saying:

>It looks somewhat familiar, this KDE GUI landscape, but also weirdly
>alien at 16 colors, 600x400.  And it's quiet...too quiet.  In fact
>there's no sound at all, except that of my own breathing, and the
>clatter of my keys.

Why are you running in such a low resolution and such a low number of
colors?  1600x1200 in 24-bit color is much nicer.  :-)

You can get X to start in a higher color depth manually by using the
following syntax on your startx command:

  startx -- -bpp xx

where xx is the color depth you want (e.g., 16 or 24 or whatever).

You can also force a given colordepth to be the default by modifying
the /etc/X11/XF86Config file which controls how the X server behaves.
The line is usually down in the Section "Screen" area, and looks like
the following:

    DefaultColorDepth xx

where xx is the color depth (e.g., 16 or 24 or whatever).

An example from my own system is as follows:

Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    Device      "Matrox Millennium (MGA)"
    Monitor     "My Monitor"
    DefaultColorDepth 16                   <-----  Default color depth
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480
        ViewPort    0 0
        # Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
    EndSubsection

>I was told there would be a Netscape transport station here, but I don't
>see it.  Without my trusty Windows drivers loaded and devices fully
>configured, I'm stuck here looking at the desktop.

Did you explicitly install Netscape during the installation process?

>Ironic:  Normally I'd be screaming at Scotty for more bandwidth, but
>right now I'd be satisfied with a 16 bit, 800x600.  Funny how an
>emergency situation makes you reorganize your priorities....

You can probably change that as well.  The XF86Config file controls
everything.  I tend to use the text-based xf86config utility to do my X
configuration, since it lets you tweak both the default resolutions and
the default color depths.

--
   -Rich Steiner  >>>--->  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  >>>--->  Bloomington, MN
      OS/2 + BeOS + Linux + Solaris + Win95 + WinNT4 + FreeBSD + DOS

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest