From: "ja" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Who can help me?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:31:05 +0800

I face a problem about compile.

%cc -o AppTest  AppTest.c
AppTest.c: In function 'Attempt Connection':
AppTest.c:253: in compatible type for argument 2 of 'connect'
AppTest.c: In function 'GetReturnStatus':
AppTest.c:storage size of 'readFds' isn't known.

Do you know what's wrong?
Below is my program.

#include <errno.h>
#include <sys/errno.h>
#include <sys/param.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <signal.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <netdb.h>
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <unistd.h>

/* include files needed for "herror ()" call */
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <netinet/in.h>
#include <arpa/nameser.h>
#include <resolv.h>

int AttemptConnection (ConnectionStatus)
  int *ConnectionStatus;
{
  int                Socket,                  I;
  struct sockaddr_in ServerAddr;

  Socket     = stream_socket_info.Socket;
  ServerAddr = stream_socket_info.Addr;

//AppTest.c:253: in compatible type for argument 2 of 'connect'
// compile tell me ServerAddr have something wrong . why???
// How to modify ?
  if (connect (Socket, ServerAddr, sizeof (struct sockaddr_in)) == ERROR)
  {
    if (errno == ECONNREFUSED)
    {
      perror ("INFO - Attempting connection to server ");
      close (Socket);
      if (CreateStreamSocket(I) == ERROR) return(ERROR);
    }
    else
    {
      perror ("FATAL ERROR - Attempting connection to server ");
      return (ERROR);
    }
  }
  else
  {

    printf ("Successful connection to %s\n", stream_socket_info.HostName);

    *ConnectionStatus = CONNECTED;
    return (NO_ERROR);
  }
  *ConnectionStatus = NOT_CONNECTED;
  return (NO_ERROR);
}

int GetReturnStatus ()
{
  int    BytesRead;
  int    selectCount;
//AppTest.c:storage size of 'readFds' isn't known.
//How to modify?
  struct fd_set  readFds;
  struct timeval timeLimit;

  timeLimit.tv_sec  = TIME_OUT;
  timeLimit.tv_usec = 0;

  FD_ZERO (&readFds);

  FD_SET (stream_socket_info.Socket, &readFds);

  printf("WAITING FOR RESPONSE.....\n");
  selectCount = select (FD_SETSIZE, &readFds, NULL,NULL, &timeLimit);

  if (selectCount == ERROR)
  {
    printf ("FATAL ERROR - select failed in GetReturnStatus.\n");
    return (ERROR);
  }

  if (selectCount == 0)
  {
    printf ("FATAL ERROR - Time out occured in GetReturnStatus.\n");
    return (ERROR);
  }

  if ((BytesRead =
        read (stream_socket_info.Socket, &control_message, BUFLEN)) ==
ERROR)
  {
    perror ("FATAL ERROR - GetReturnStatus (read).\n");
    return (ERROR);
  }

  if (BytesRead < BUFLEN)
  {
    printf ("FATAL ERROR - Read from socket incomplete!!! \n");
    return (ERROR);
  }

  printf ("%s for %s \n", control_message.Buffer1, WscStationId);

}

Thank you!

  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: $PATH
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:19:08 -0400

Tiffany wrote:

> >===== Original Message From Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> =====
> >I've been getting 'Command not found' error.  How can I include my file
> >directory into $PATH ( I tried to add it into /etc/bashrc and
> /home/<user>account>/.bashrc, but it did not work)
>
> Try editing $HOME/.bash_profile (assuming you are using the bash shell) to
> include the lines:
>
> PATH=$PATH:/path_to_your_directory
> export PATH
>
> Then logout and login.

You might also put it in /etc/profile, that way the changes will be
visible for all users of the system. This works for me on my Red Hat
system.

------------------------------

From: "<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Compatable Hardware
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:27:59 -0400

It seems like I should just buy a computer from a store then.... I have
never did this thing before. I don't know how easy or hard it is.

Thanks

David wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>"" wrote:
>>
>> I plan on building my own computer from scratch, and I want some advice
on
>> part selection. Are there any sites where they offer speical rates and
Linux

------------------------------

From: Tom Canich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with PPP
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 09:23:58 -0400

Hi Lionel,

in "xconfig" the option is not called PPP <CONFIG_PPP>.  This would be
it's label if you ran "make config" instead.  In xconfig, the option
should be under networking options or network devices (i'm pretty sure
it's options).  You should find a section with PPP, SLIP, and CSLIP
together.  Just select PPP and you're off! :)

Redhat 5.0...does that use a 2.0 kernel?  You may have to mangle my
instructions slightly if it does, as i have been looking at 2.4 configs
for a month or two now...

Alternatively, as an above post mentions, you could try loading the ppp
module...

good luck,

tom

------------------------------

From: H <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing with CUPS
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:30:19 +0100

Using CUPS on Mandrake 7.2. Have an Epson on /dev /lp0.
If I login as root everything is hunky dorey and I can print (almost)
anything from anywhere BUT if I login as a normal user whilst either <lp
foobar> or <lpr foobar> from a terminal prompt will achieve the desired
printout, if I e.g. <Print buffer> from emacs or <Print> from an
x-windows/KDE application nothing happens. Top shows <lpr> to be using
enormous amounts of cpu time for hours on end whilst lpstat tells me that
the
Epson is idle (which it certainly is).
Any pointers would be gratefully received.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:39:18 GMT

"<toor>" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It seems like I should just buy a computer from a store then.... I have
> never did this thing before. I don't know how easy or hard it is.

And you won't until you try it, will you?

(it's as easy as it gets. The hard part is choosing and finding the
parts).

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Lutz Marten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Subject: Q: How to find out the modue for the eth0 device and a "free" IRQ and I/O
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:49:42 +0200

Hi,
I want to add a LinxPRO Ethernetadapter (based on a RTL8139C chip)
to my P90 ASUS Linux box. I failed 'til now, because I don't know either

- what the correct module in the kernelconfig is to setup for eth0

and

- how I can find out which IRQs nad I/Os are free for the network adapter ?

Thanks for your help !

Lutz
---
Lutz Marten, Wuerzburg, Germany, Europe, 49°47,61' N 9°55,55' E @ earth.org
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Krstanovic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Modem trouble
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:01:46 +0200

I have Rockvell 56k ISA modem.It works on IRQ#3 and COM2 port under Win Me
and DOS,but will not work under Red Hat 7
Help me to configure it.Without the modem Linux is not so useful,in my
opinion :)
Thanx!

------------------------------

From: "Stephen W. Hiemstra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 32-bit disk cache?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:10:52 -0400

David,

I tried working with hdparm -c but could not identify the proper way to
address the hard-drives.  What is it looking for?

Stephen

"David Efflandt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Stephen W. Hiemstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have Linux booting off of a second hard-drive that is a bit slow.
> > Earlier, I remember hearing that there is a way to activate 32-bit disk
> > caching (maybe not the right terminology) that will spend things up.
Can

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Daylight saving bug in Redhat Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:31:48 -0400

Raymond Chui wrote:

> I have Redhat Linux 6.x. I just found this weekend our system still
> one hour behind since April Fool (April 1).
> I link /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
> This is daylight saving time for east time zone in US. But the system
> did auto one hour forward. I need to manual set one hour ahead and
> touch all file's modify time created after April 1.
>
> Does anyone out there notice the same
> problem in your Redhat Linux 6.x?

No.

> Or is this well known problem
> in FAQ?

It might be in a FAQ by now. It generally means someone configured
their machine incorrectly. If you run you box Linux-Only; i.e., if it
is not dual-boot with any Microsoftware, it is easy to straighten out.

1.) Make sure that the link, /etc/localtime ->
/usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT exists (will have to be a symbolic link, I
guess,since it may well be on a separate partition). On my system,
/etc/localtime is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT , not a link.

2.) Examine /etc/sysconfig/clock
Mine reads:

ZONE="America/New_York"
UTC=true
ARC=false

Yours should be something like that, but ZONE might be a little
different, depending on how you configured your system.

Then set your hardware clock to UTC, not local time, by any of a
number of ways (e.g., diddling it in the BIOS, using /sbin/hwclock
--utc --debug --systohc, etc.).

If you are so unlucky as to run a dual boot system where Microsoftware
can also execute, it will set the hardware clock to local time, no
matter what. Furthermore, it sets the localtime to be EDST when it
thinks daylight savings time prevails, and resets localtime to EST
when it thinks standard time prevails. It also does this once in a
while (e.g., in the middle of February) when the whimsey strikes it.

For such a machine,

1.) Same as step 1.), above.

2.) Examine /etc/sysconfig/clock

On my dual-boot machine that also runs Windows 95 R2, it reads:

UTC="no"
ARC=false

Good luck, and may you be able to recover from your Microsoft
addiction.

> Is there a patch source fix this bug? There is the patch
> source?

No patch needed, just configure it correctly.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A transfinite number of monkeys)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:37:53 GMT

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:28:24 +0200, Juergen Seyffer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Hello Linux-Freaks
:
: Did anyone have a Mini-PCI Wavelan-Card from Lucent/Orinoco running with
: Linux.
: I have that card on a Geode GX1 Companion Board, but only see a TI 1410
: Cardbus Controller with lspci or /proc/pci. Tried everything in PCMCIA-Howto
: and can't find nothing on Orinoco Homepage.

I don't have that particular Mini-PCI card, but I've got other Mini-PCI
cards.  It's not a PCMCIA card, it's a PCI card.

: Any hints are welcome
:
: Best regards
:
: Juergen Seyffer
:
:

--
Jason Costomiris <><           |  Technologist, geek, human.
                    My account, My opinions.

------------------------------

From: "Jon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FreeSco setup / cablemodem
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:15:17 +0100

I have used an old 486 with 2 nics installed freesco and it works fine with
a cable modem
it runs from the floppy as I didn't have a spare HD to stick in the machine

Jon
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.os.unix.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:22:26 +0100

the manufacturers software floppy sometimes has some info on Linux if not
check their site for an details I'm sure there is support for RTL8139C cards
shipped with Linux.
if it is an ISA card check which IRQs and IO ports are available using the
following
cat /proc/interrupts
cat /proc/ioports
you will have to turn off plug in and play and assign the IRAQ and IO
manually with the manufacturers software
IRQ 10 or 11 normally and IO 0x300 or 0x320 roughly what you should be
looking for simplicity. if its a PCI card it should detect it
cheers
Jon

news:3adaf7a6$0$10726$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Colin Pinkney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.1 and StarOffice
Date: 16 Apr 2001 15:23:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Garry Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9aq804$div$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Colin Pinkney"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> StarOffice refuses to save to either the win98 partition or
>> zip disks, yet has no problems saving to any ext2 partitions.

> Just a long shot, but what are your fstab entries for these partitions?
> Do you have 'user' in the options field?

Yes I do have the 'user' option in the relevant fstab entries. Like I
said, without changing anything, booting up with kernel 2.2.13 and
StarOffice works fine. Boot up with kernel 2.4.x and StarOffice can't
save to FAT partitions. But I need things from 2.4.x which I can't work
around. I can at least save to my Linux partitions and then simply copy
the files over to my win98 partition but it's very inconvenient. I
think I'm compiling my filesystem stuff the same, but the 2.2.13 kernel
I have is the precompiled one from SuSE 6.3. It has really stumped me.
I can't find any other program that has the same problem. Everything
else, all command line tools, Netscape, Gimp, etc. can all save to my
FAT partitions running either 2.2.13 or 2.4.x.

--
Colin Pinkney
======== 3rd Year Warwick University Computer Science Undergraduate =========

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:40:58 -0400

> Thank you very much!
>
> >  On my system,
> > /etc/localtime is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT , not a link.
> >

> Can you do me a favor type
>
> ls -lai /etc/localtime
> ls -lai /usr/share/zoninfo/EST5EDT
>
> See if the inode number (the 1st column) is the same or not.
> If they are the same, then /etc/localtime is a hardlink (not symbolic
> link).
> If they are different, then /etc/localtime is a copy of a file.
> Thank you again.

I said that on my system, it was a copy, not a link, but since you do
not believe me,

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$  ls -lai /etc/localtime
 358354 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1250 Jan 22 18:06 /etc/localtime
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -lai /usr/share/zoninfo/EST5EDT
ls: /usr/share/zoninfo/EST5EDT: No such file or directory

And, just for free,

valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -lai /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
 276952 -rw-r--r-- 4 root root 1250 Aug  1  2000
/usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ ls -l /etc/localtime
        -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1250 Jan 22 18:06 /etc/localtime
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$ diff /etc/localtime /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
valinux:jdbeyer[~]$

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.
/( )\ Shrewsbury, New Jersey     http://counter.li.org
^^-^^ 11:30am up 14 days, 18:18, 3 users, load average: 4.09, 3.62,
3.43

------------------------------

From: Raymond Chui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:22:46 -0400

==============FAF3A7829A32E99DD5770D20

Jean-David Beyer wrote:

Thank you very much!

>  On my system,
> /etc/localtime is a copy of /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT , not a link.

Can you do me a favor type

ls -lai /etc/localtime
ls -lai /usr/share/zoninfo/EST5EDT

See if the inode number (the 1st column) is the same or not.
If they are the same, then /etc/localtime is a hardlink (not symbolic
link).
If they are different, then /etc/localtime is a copy of a file.
Thank you again.

--Raymond

==============FAF3A7829A32E99DD5770D20

begin:vcard
n:Chui;Raymond
tel;fax:(301)713-0963
tel;work:(301)713-0624 Ext. 168
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.xoom.com/rchui/
org:NWS, NOAA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:SA, DBA
note:ICQ #: 16722494
adr;quoted-printable:;;NOAA, NWS, Office of Hydrology, OH=0D=0A1325 East-West Highway,
Room 8112;Silver Spring;MD;20910-3283;U.S.A.
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6384
fn:Raymond Chui
end:vcard

==============FAF3A7829A32E99DD5770D20==

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest