From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Destroyed VFAT Filesystem (Identifying Bugs)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 01:59:39 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen) wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >The machine has two hard drives, the first used only for operating
> >systems (currently Windows 98 and Linux) and the second used only for
> >data.  The second drive is partitioned in MSDOS using a single
extended
> >partition with various logical partitions.
> >
> >The Linux is the VALinux distribution 6.2.1 (RedHat 6.2) and the
kernel
> >is 2.2.14-5.0.14 booted by LILO or Loadlin.  I have reinstalled this
> >distribution several times with no trouble as I have adjusted my
> >partitioning scheme on the first hard drive.

* * *

> >Nevertheless, now I find that simply booting Linux destroys the
> >formatting of the first partition of the second hard drive * * *

> >Does anyone have any idea what is going on?  I will very much
> >appreciate any help.

* * *

> >Bill
>
> This could be a case of the
>
> "if an extended partition type 0F exists, and the last logical
> partition in an extended partition known by DOS is non DOS, no
> extended partition type 05 can exist"
>
> Windows bug. Windows typically will write the first logical partition
> on disk number two at a wrong location.
>
> If the type of the extended partition on disk number 1 is 05, you can
> change it to 0F using the Linux fdisk t command. When you are sure you
> did the change correct, write the partition table using the w command.
> --
> Svend Olaf

Svend, you sent me in the right direction.  Thank you.

Based on what you suggested, I deleted the extended FAT32 partition on
the second hard drive and created a single FAT32 primary partition.
(Since it's all data, I'll divide things up using directories instead
of partitions.)  I booted to Linux and returned to Windows without
apparent problem.

In posting my original question, I had missed a crucial fact that your
suggestion uncovered.  In previous partitioning schemes, I had an
extended FAT32 partition on the first hard drive (presumably type 0F);
in my current scheme, the extended partition on the first hard drive is
type 05.

This experience raises an additional question.

Where does one go to learn about the bugs in Windows or Linux?

Thank you again for your help.

Bill

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Wrong major/minor number
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:23:58 -0400

> Just tried it and am still getting the major/minor number error.
>
> If you have any trouble shooting suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing.
>
> Thanks
>
> "Andrew E. Schulman" wrote:
>
> > > when I execute
> > >
> > > mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> > >
> > > i received the error
> > >
> > > mount:  /dev/fd0 has wrong major or minor number.
> > >
> > > I'm assuming I've munged the floppy device and have to use MAKEDEV to
> > > reconstruct it.  The question is how do I go about doing just that?
> >
> > rm /dev/fd0
> > MAKEDEV fd0

Hm, so maybe the problem isn't really the major/minor device numbers.
On my system /dev/fd0 is major 2, minor 0.  Check this by 'ls -l
/dev/fd0'.  You should get something like

brw-rw----  root      root     2,    0  /dev/fd0

So if that's correct, then try Equinox' suggestion for making sure the
modules are loaded.

If that fails, then there are probably other things to try, but what's
worked for me in the past is to rebuild the kernel.  I had a floppy
drive that worked fine under Windows but never did work under Linux
(drive light came on, but I never could mount anything).  Finally I
rebuilt my kernel and the problem disappeared.

Good luck,
Andrew.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dialup connection.............
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:26:50 -0400

> running red hat 6.1, linux refuses to recognize my modem. (56k)
> i have worn out the red hat linux bible, and nothing works!!
>
> any ideas?

Go to http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html to see if you have a
winmodem.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get modem detected
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 22:30:02 -0400

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Seti@home behind firewall??
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 21:39:40 -0500

I have a windoz box behind my linux system with a firewall setup. My
problem is that I can't get the windoz system to send the completed WU
through my linux system. Anyone have any idea as to what I am
overlooking? Both of my linux systems have no problems sending theirs
just the windoz box.

Thanks
David
--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Harding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: PPP/modem setup problems
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2000 21:59:36 -0500

I am using a USRobotics ISA modem and am trying to set it up so that I can
use it to connect to my ISP.  I have gotten to the point where I can use
minicom to manually dial to my ISP and log in, but of course cannot start
PPP that way.  When I try to use pppd, however, chat gives me the following
message:

Can't get terminal parameters: Inappropriate ioctl for device

I have double-checked the connect script to ensure that it is using the
correct device (/dev/ttyS3).  I presume that the message means that
something is not configured correctly with regards to the serial port, but I
am not sure what I need to do to fix it.  If someone has some insight into
this problem or can point me to some pertinant documentation, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Daniel Harding

------------------------------

From: "Malke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.dial-up
Subject: Re: PPP/modem setup problems
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 20:08:48 -0700

Daniel,

I am just as much at sea about Linux as you (see the posting above yours),
but I have a USR ISA modem, too.  You mentioned ttyS3 - are you running the
modem on Com 4?  Com 1 is ttyS0, Com 2 is ttyS1, etc.  Also, check the
jumpers on your card.  If it is like mine, you can configure it for the IRQ
and the COM port.  Usually, modems like Com 2.  Could ioctl mean your I/O
ports are different than you think?

At least you can connect to the ISP - all I get is "modem locked"!

Hope this helped, at least a little.

Regards,

Malke
===================
Don't Panic

------------------------------

From: Jose Luis Domingo Lopez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Executables aren't executing
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 18:12:08 GMT

thethoms wrote:

> Howdy,
>         This is my third try at being a linux user; my previous attempts were
> more of an exercise of curiosity than anything.  Now, due to my need for
> a serious modelling machine, I'm back.

You will not regret.

>         Recently, I have downloaded .tgz compressed software from a number of
> different sources.  After running the following commands:
>
> gzip -d file.tgz
> tar -xvf file.tar
>
> everything seems to decompress correctly.  However, if I try to run any
> of the executables by either typing out the name at the shell or using
> "exec 'program'", I am told that the command is not found.
>
> Have I done something wrong?

Your current working directory . is not on your command path, so to
execute a file named "IamExecutable" type "./IamExecutable".

You could also add . to your search path (environment variable PATH),
but this is considered a risky practice due to security considerations.

In any case, before running any program you should read, at least, the
README that accompanies the executable.

Jose Luis Domingo

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,alt.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: 192.168.0.* vs 192.168.1.*
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:08:19 GMT

Actualy the "zero" subnet is covered by a somewhat newer RFC.  At one time it
was not permitted.  As such, some older devices (some routers, etc) may not
understand it correctly.  Having said that, almost all newer devices and hosts
have absolutely no problem with the zero subnet.  Just make sure you don't
have any really old stuff on your network making routing decisions.

Even newer devices may need to be configured to support it properly (though
almost all do by default.)  For example, cisco's IOS has an ip "subnet-zero"
command to explicitly enable/disable this support.

------------------------------

From: "Theodore J. Mooney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 23:23:27 -0500

   No, it's definitely not a Winmodem. I wouldn't have one of
those things and I know the difference between the two.
   The funny thing is, it's Plug 'N' Play, but Win98 didn't detect
it. It detected something there, but didn't recognize it as a modem.
I had to have it detect it as new hardware and then use the
drivers on the CD to get it working.
   Windows says it's on Com3, IRQ5. Don't sound cards use IRQ5?
Maybe that's why SAT won't detect it, they're both on the same IRQ.
   I don't know if there are jumpers on the card to hardwire it to use
certain com ports and irq's. I'd have to dig it out of the computer to
see.

The views, opinions, or statements stated above or below
are not necessarily those of the poster. So there! Nyah!

---

"Keyboard? How quaint!" - Scotty

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: allow users to wvdial?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:31:17 GMT

>How do I allow all users use wvdial (i.e. dial into my ISP)?  Right now -
>only root can.

Although I'm not going to try to guess the security implications, one way
would be to do this..

chmod 4555 wvdial

This would make it run as whoever owns it (root) regardless of who runs the
command.  Anybody could run it that can sign on to your system.  Another
choice would be

chmod 4550 wvdial

Which would do nearly the same thing, but then only members of the group
assigned to wvdial could run it.. but it would still run with root rights.

------------------------------

From: Owen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache -> How to change file name size in dir listing
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:37:23 GMT

I'm using these three commands for the configuration of my Apache server

IndexOptions       FancyIndexing
IndexOptions       SuppressDescription
IndexOptions       SuppressLastModified

So now I'm displaying all the information that I want about the file.
Is there a way to expand the "Name" column that is displayed.  It's
currently 23 characters wide.  By removing the description and last
modified I now have a whole bunch more room on the screen that I want
to fill.

Any help would be appreciated.

Owen

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux tutor (need one)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 05:03:36 GMT

Kraylus wrote:

> greetings.
>
> some may ridicule me.  accuse me of being an idiot.  assault my
> intelligence.  point out my laziness.
>
> oh well.
>
> good day,
>
> ryan
Hi lazy one!
You remind me of the time when I went Linux (few years ago).
>From practice with this OS, there are NO teachers that can teach you
things that will be applicably in all situations. If someone will
promise to make you an instant guru, take it with a very big rock of
salt.
My suggestion: invest in few books on unix/linux administration and
spend the time overcoming problems as they surface. In short time you
find that things are getting simpler and you have proper references if
you run into walls.
And remember, Linux is for having fun...
--
    ******* Stanislaw ********
Monolog - one person talking to himself,

------------------------------

From: Karlheinz Boehme <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: mirroring ide disk
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:35:12 +0200

Hi Marcos,

once I tried the following started by a cron job early in the
morning :

dd -if=/dev/sda -of=/dev/sdb

This made an exact copy of (SCSI) drive A to drive B.
Most important thing was, that drive B was NOT mounted into drive
A's file system. When I unplugged drive A the system came up without
any probs on drive B (besides the fscheck during bootup). The second
drive was exactly the geometry as the first one. I don't know if it
will work with your configuration, but I think it should.

Be aware that this solution only works for backup purposes where you
want to keep downtime short for a server without too much loss of
data.

Marcos Lloret wrote:

> hi,
>
>     anybody knows how to make a mirroring ide disk in RH6?? i have
> already installed all the system in a 8Gb ide disk and i want to
> configure a mirroring with a disk of 13Gb.
> how can i do it??
>
> thanks,
>
> marcos
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest