Linux-Setup Digest #58, Volume #20               Fri, 17 Nov 00 16:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: Problems w/ D-link dfe-550tx and Redhat 7 (Roy Pfaltzgraff III)
  Re: Problems w/ D-link dfe-550tx and Redhat 7 ("ne...")
  Re: "Invalid partition table" error message ("Min Kuan")
  Can't run wvdial as non-root user (Chilly Willy)
  Re: LI hangup after upgrade from RH6.1 to 6.2 (Valerio)
  Help with bootable cdrom install ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Problems w/ D-link dfe-550tx and Redhat 7 (Roy Pfaltzgraff III)
  Install issues with Slackware ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Scanfile utility ?
  Re: XF4.01, tdfx, voodoo banshee (Roger)
  Re: Help! Unable to install Red Hat 6.2! ("Philo")
  Re: Difficult to install Linux ("Philo")
  Re: CRASH! ("Philo")
  Mandrake Installation - ramdisk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Static IP Nightmare (sena)
  Re: Can't run wvdial as non-root user
  Re: Can't run wvdial as non-root user (Chilly Willy)
  Re: Linux boot from floppy SLOW (endroo)
  Kernel Compile problem RH7.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Urgent help with Swap file ("Stephen Murphy")
  Really really weird lilo behavior. (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
  redhat {6.2,7.0} kickstart (Andrew Park)
  Re: Urgent help with Swap file (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Kernel Compile problem RH7.0 (Paul Kimoto)

From: Roy Pfaltzgraff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Problems w/ D-link dfe-550tx and Redhat 7
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:37:15 -0700

Matthew Haley wrote:

> I just went to http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html and
> grabbed the following files:
>
> sundance.c
> kern-compat.h
> pci-scan.c
> pci-scan.h
>
> I put these files in a temporary directory and ran the following
> commands:
>
> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet \
>  -O6 sundance.c -DMODVERSIONS
> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet \
>  -O6 pci-scan.c -DMODVERSION
>
> And it appeared to work fine. Did you use 'kgcc' and not 'gcc' to
> compile? It matters in RedHat 7.0.
>
> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+
> +  4:11am  up 1 day,  4:32,  3 users,  load average: 0.82, 0.89, 0.79 +
> +--------------------------------------------------------------+

I was using gcc, but when I use kgcc I get the same errors.  I was
poking around on the system and the directory that the -I goes to
doesn't exist, I can get to /usr/src/linux/net, but no inet.

Thanks alot for the help
Roy Pfaltzgraff

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:36:42 GMT

On Nov 17, 2000 at 10:37, Roy Pfaltzgraff III eloquently wrote:

>Matthew Haley wrote:
>>
>> I just went to http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html and
>> grabbed the following files:
>>
>> sundance.c
>> kern-compat.h
>> pci-scan.c
>> pci-scan.h
>>
>> I put these files in a temporary directory and ran the following
>> commands:
>>
>> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet \
>>  -O6 sundance.c -DMODVERSIONS
>> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet \
>>  -O6 pci-scan.c -DMODVERSION
>>
>> And it appeared to work fine. Did you use 'kgcc' and not 'gcc' to
>> compile? It matters in RedHat 7.0.
>>

>I was using gcc, but when I use kgcc I get the same errors.  I was
>poking around on the system and the directory that the -I goes to
>doesn't exist, I can get to /usr/src/linux/net, but no inet.
So now you need to install the kernel source or at least
the kernel headers.

We don't know one millionth of one percent about anything.
 12:34pm up 3 days, 6:15, 9 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.03

------------------------------

From: "Min Kuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Invalid partition table" error message
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:11:03 -0800

Hi, Eric:

Thxs for the help. I really appreciated it.

Guess what? I got fed up and decided to reinstall Win2K, and this time, I
partitioned my 30G drive into (approximate size):
    - 1 x 10G
    - 1 x 9G
    - 2 x  5.5G

Installed Win2K in the 10G partition. Booted up using Linux boot disk. It
asked me if I wanted to install it in DOS/Window partitions. (I was shown
the 1 x 9G, and two 5.5G partitions to choose from). I chose to install in
one of the 5.5G partition. Installation completed, and reboot machine w/o
boot disk.

Guess what? I didn't show me the dual-boot menu option window, and went
straight to booting up Win2K. What happened?

Min.

"Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Min Kuan wrote:
> >
> > Hi, guys/gals:
> >
> > I think I've a problem in my hand - I received a "Invalid partition
table"
> > error message after I installed and rebotted my machine. I hope someone
can
> > help me (pls...).   :)
>
> I'll try
>
> > Here the configurations of my machine:
> > ---------------------------------------
> >     - 2 hard drives: 30G and 6G hard drives
> >     - I partitioned my 30G into 3 partitions when I installed Win2K in
it.
> > The partition with Win2K is NTFS, and the rest of the two (~10G each)
are

------------------------------

From: Chilly Willy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't run wvdial as non-root user
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:47:14 -0600

I keep getting the error:
--> Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
when running wvdial as non-root.

Currently I have;
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   /dev/modem  -> /dev/ttyS1
crw-r----- 1 root   uucp   /dev/ttyS1

What should the correct ownership and permissions be?

TIA

------------------------------

From: Valerio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LI hangup after upgrade from RH6.1 to 6.2
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:05:48 GMT

Anyway...your advice worked!!!
thanks a lot,
Valerio

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help with bootable cdrom install
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:31:48 GMT

I'm using a Gateway2000 Model E-3000.
I have a Slackware wersion 7.1 bootalbe cd.
Ii begins to load fine. When it finds/see's the
cd-rom it restarts the system? The cdrom is
toshiba XM-6202B. Any thoughts would be get

From: Roy Pfaltzgraff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:49:49 -0700

"ne..." wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2000 at 10:37, Roy Pfaltzgraff III eloquently wrote:
> >
> >Matthew Haley wrote:
> >>
> >> I just went to http://www.scyld.com/network/ethercard.html and
> >> grabbed the following files:
> >>
> >> sundance.c
> >> kern-compat.h
> >> pci-scan.c
> >> pci-scan.h
> >>
> >> I put these files in a temporary directory and ran the following
> >> commands:
> >>
> >> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet \
> >>  -O6 sundance.c -DMODVERSIONS
> >> kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/net/inet \
> >>  -O6 pci-scan.c -DMODVERSION
> >>
> >> And it appeared to work fine. Did you use 'kgcc' and not 'gcc' to
> >> compile? It matters in RedHat 7.0.
> >>

> >I was using gcc, but when I use kgcc I get the same errors.  I was
> >poking around on the system and the directory that the -I goes to
> >doesn't exist, I can get to /usr/src/linux/net, but no inet.
> So now you need to install the kernel source or at least
> the kernel headers.
>
> --
> Registered Linux User # 125653 (http://counter.li.org)
> We don't know one millionth of one percent about anything.
>  12:34pm up 3 days, 6:15, 9 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.03

I have both installed, to double check I uninstalled, reinstalled and
verified, still I get:

root@bluebird temp]# kgcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__
-I/usr/src/linux/net/inet -O6 sundance.c -DMODVERSIONS
In file included from sundance.c:120:
kern_compat.h:164: parse error before `0'
kern_compat.h:168: warning: parameter names (without types) in function
declaration
kern_compat.h:168: conflicting types for `mark_bh'
/usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:233: previous declaration of `mark_bh'
kern_compat.h:168: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
kern_compat.h:168: parse error before `}'
sundance.c: In function `netdev_open':
sundance.c:645: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c:646: structure has no member named `interrupt'
sundance.c:656: structure has no member named `start'
sundance.c: In function `netdev_timer':
sundance.c:716: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c:716: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c: In function `start_tx':
sundance.c:812: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c:841: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c: In function `intr_handler':
sundance.c:870: structure has no member named `interrupt'
sundance.c:873: structure has no member named `interrupt'
sundance.c:944: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c:948: structure has no member named `tbusy'
sundance.c:949: `NET_BH' undeclared (first use in this function)
sundance.c:949: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
sundance.c:949: for each function it appears in.)
sundance.c:973: structure has no member named `interrupt'
sundance.c: In function `netdev_close':
sundance.c:1224: structure has no member named `start'
sundance.c:1225: structure has no member named `tbusy'
[root@bluebird temp]#

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Install issues with Slackware
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 18:38:48 GMT

After moveing my Cdrom to a slave postion my bootalbe install goes a
couple lines futher. Then just reboots the pc? It goes by to fast to
read what it's on the screen, Is there any way to pause the screen
other then pause button it doesn't seem to work.

Any help with this would be great.

Thanks

Subject: Re: Scanfile utility ?
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:05:01 -0500
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Thank you for going to all the trouble to compose
the command for me.  Now I have a starting point --
I can read all about the parts of the command you
provided

        find /   .....   .....   .... \;

:-)  g.

------------------------------

From: Roger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.x,com.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: XF4.01, tdfx, voodoo banshee
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 14:22:29 -0500

have a banshee pci on a p166.  on clean install of mdk 7.2, it asked if i
wanted to use the 4.01 and acceleration.  did a expert install.  if you do
a standard install, i don't think you'll get this option.

i have no idea if i have accelaration tho' ...so i would 'assume' that it
did install, 'cause when mdk says it did somethin', it usually does!

--
Created with Linux Mandrake 7.2!
www.linux-mandrake.com

------------------------------

From: "Philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! Unable to install Red Hat 6.2!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:25:32 -0600

you will  do better to first  *create* a partition for your linux
installation.
once you get there, delete the partition to give you the free space to
*add* your linux partitions

--

Philo

website: www.plazaearth.com/philo

------------------------------

From: "Philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Difficult to install Linux
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:28:11 -0600

yes, you bios may have a virus scanner for the boot sector.
but if your boot sector was bad, it would not have allowed windows to boot
either.
you could try doing and  fdisk/mbr to see if you can boot back to windows.
then if for some reason lilo won't install...you may opt not to instlall
lilo on your mbr but boot from a floppy instead

From: "Philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CRASH!
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:29:21 -0600

to get your bootsector restored, just do an fdisk/mbr
then get a more recent version of linux and try again

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandrake Installation - ramdisk
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 10:31:13 GMT

Hello LinuxWorld!

I am finding some problems with the Mandrake 7.2 instalation. The
system crashes (stops the yellow line) when Loading second stage
ramdisk.

Does someone can tell me what is the problem, and how can I solve it?

Thank you very much.

Luis
Portugal

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (sena)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Static IP Nightmare
Date: 17 Nov 2000 14:01:46 GMT

I heard Jonathan Voigt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> saying:
>Try using one or the other from the command line and see what happens :
>
>pump -h CC661256-B -i eth0
>
>or
>
>dhcpcd -h CC661256-B -i eth0
>                     ^^^^^^^
dhcpcd doesn't use the -i option, like pump does...
Try: "dhcpcd -h CC661256-B eth0" (without the "-i")...

Regards, sena...

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://decoy.ath.cx/~sena/
gpg fingerprint: F20B 12A8 A8F6 FD1F 9B1D BA62 C424 8E73 DD2E 47C8

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Can't run wvdial as non-root user
Date: 17 Nov 2000 19:49:09 GMT

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:47:14 -0600,
Chilly Willy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I keep getting the error:
>--> Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
>when running wvdial as non-root.
>Currently I have;
>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   /dev/modem  -> /dev/ttyS1
>crw-r----- 1 root   uucp   /dev/ttyS1

Check the permissions on /usr/sbin/pppd.
wvdial runs pppd.

MP

------------------------------

From: Chilly Willy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:33:26 -0600

I Just had to reply to this message from [EMAIL PROTECTED] () who tried to
throw this idea RTF over my head:

>On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:47:14 -0600,
>Chilly Willy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I keep getting the error:
>>--> Cannot open /dev/ttyS1: Permission denied
>>when running wvdial as non-root.
>>Currently I have;
>>lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   /dev/modem  -> /dev/ttyS1
>>crw-r----- 1 root   uucp   /dev/ttyS1
>
>Check the permissions on /usr/sbin/pppd.
>wvdial runs pppd.
>
>MP

-rwsr-sr-- 1 root  dialout    /usr/sbin/pppd

/etc/groups shows:

uucp:x:14:uucp,fax,root,fnet,chilly
dialout:x:16:root,chilly

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (endroo)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux boot from floppy SLOW
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:00:39 GMT

anyhow...this is still a windoze world but it won't be long ...

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:23:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Loadlin works great but consider also using the
>latest version of LILO in the MBR of the first
>disk.  Loadlin requires MS-DOS/Windoze Installed
>to work.  As both of these OSes are shit why not
>simply format your HDD and install Linux :-)
>this would not only resolve your booting problem
>but would also give you a permanently decent OS
>

>ps Tux Rulez
>

>In article <8v2es9$ngm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Something is definitely wrong. It should only
>take 30 seconds or so.
>> You might consider using loadlin. Very simple
>solution for your
>> situation.
>>
>> -- Gene Wiggins
>> -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>
>> Jeff Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > I installed Red Hat Linux 7 last week in the
>last 4 GB or a 20 GB disk,
>> > so I am booting to Linux from a floppy. It
>works OK, but is very slow -
>> > taking about 10 minutes to get past all the
>periods. Can anyone tell me
>> > if this is normal, and if there is a way to
>speed this up?
>>
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jeff Stevens
>>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

      .~.
      /V\
     // \\
    /(   )\
     ^`~'^
  < endroo ®™ >

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Kernel Compile problem RH7.0
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:14:01 +0000

Hello,

  I have installed RedHat 7.0 and am trying to recompile the kernel,
2.2.16-22. I keep getting compile time errors:

make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__  -traditional -c
checksum.S -o checksum.o
checksum.S:231: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
checksum.S:237: badly punctuated parameter list in #define
make[2]: *** [checksum.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
make: *** [_dir_arch/i386/lib] Error 2

any clues?

Ian.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Urgent help with Swap file
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:14:14 GMT

I am in the middle of partitioning my drive to install rh7.0 on to my sys'.
done everything that is req'd and trying to set up the 'swap file'.
partition magic 4.0 won't let me size it more than 133M. I've been told to
make this double the size of your RAM, 128M ram fitted, can anybody help as
I really need to get this done tonight

Thanks in Advance.
c:win 98
d:win 200
e:backup

/                 ext2    800m
/usr            ext2    3600m
/usr/local    ext2    2500
/home        ext2    800m
swap         swap    ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thaddeus L Olczyk)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Really really weird lilo behavior.
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:47:32 GMT

>From previous post (Lilo Li... problem).
Have two herd derives original scsi and on ide.
Dual boot NT linux, using system commander deluxe.
Had to reinstall linux.
Installed lilo in mbr (overwriting system commander )
Won't boot stops at LI
Overwrote lilo mbr with system commander,  I get a warning
about not installing on the first drive.
Won't boot stop at LI
Put lilo on hda ( mbr of IDE instead of SCSI ), reset bios to boot
from IDE first.
Boots OK.
Try to modify SC (SCSI) to boot from IDE mbr and various partitions.
Won't boot.
Try to create floppy with lilo mbr, boot through SC (SCSI, choose boot
from floppy entry).
Won't boot stops at LI
Modify BIOS so that floppy boots if in place then SC (SCSI).
Boots from floppy.

Final result, I can either boot linux by installing a boot floppy,
or NT with a floppy.
Or I can change the BIOS between drives to choose OS.

Any idea of a better fix?

------------------------------

From: Andrew Park <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: redhat {6.2,7.0} kickstart
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:02:32 GMT

Whether I keep ks.cfg on the floppy or on the network, I still get a
"NFS server not responding, still trying" message.  The card IS recognized
and on the server's end I can tell that the client is successful at
NFS mounting the directory it is required, but soon after I get that
"server not responding message"...  Can anyone give me a hand?
Thanks

Andrew Park

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Urgent help with Swap file
Date: 17 Nov 2000 16:07:11 -0500

In article <qkgR5.13985$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephen Murphy wrote:
> I am in the middle of partitioning my drive to install rh7.0 on to my sys'.
> done everything that is req'd and trying to set up the 'swap file'.
> partition magic 4.0 won't let me size it more than 133M. I've been told to
> make this double the size of your RAM, 128M ram fitted, can anybody help as
> I really need to get this done tonight

(Terminology note: You seem to be talking about a "swap partition".
Properly, a "swap file" is a file in the filesystem used for swapping.
Swap partitions work better.)

You don't _have_ to have 256 MB of swap.  Unless you are in need of a lot
of virtual memory, 133 MB will probably be fine.

Alternatively, you could set up two (or more) swap partitions.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Kernel Compile problem RH7.0
Date: 17 Nov 2000 16:09:06 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

(Your message is dated "Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:14:01 +0000", but that time has
not happened yet!)

>  I have installed RedHat 7.0 and am trying to recompile the kernel,
> 2.2.16-22. I keep getting compile time errors:
>
> make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/lib'
> cc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux/include -D__ASSEMBLY__  -traditional -c
> checksum.S -o checksum.o
> checksum.S:231: badly punctuated parameter list in #define

Red Hat 7.0 ships with the so-called, never-released "gcc-2.96".
You cannot build kernels with this compiler.  The preferred compiler,
egcs-1.1.2, comes in the "kgcc" package.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
and may be a violation of international copyright law.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest