Linux-Setup Digest #74, Volume #19                Tue, 4 Jul 00 18:13:10 EDT

Contents:
  Re: printer ("David ..")
  Need help w/ remote printing and ssh ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Xfree86-4.0 and fonts: where do the come from? (ray)
  Re: Can't access my /dev/hda1 partition (Eric B)
  Re: Can't access my /dev/hda1 partition ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: mailserver (jwk)
  Re: Help! root directory mounted as readonly. What to do? (David)
  Re: Large HD's (pelgrims p)
  Re: Back space in Mandrake/SGI (David Efflandt)
  Runlevel ? ("Ed Bras")
  Re: DAT under Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Install OpenGL on TNT 2 (Major Easy)
  Problem setting up DHCP (RH6.1) (The Grunewalds)
  Re: Problems with fsck on new disk (David Efflandt)
  Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Weird install problem.... (NOT newbie) ("Aurelien Marchand")
  Red Hat 6.2 Installation Keeps Crashing (Larry_82)
  Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help. (Vincent Dang)
  MWave sucks we are... (Tobias Harvey Tews)
  another install problem (NOT newbie) ("Aurelien Marchand")

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printer
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 14:10:00 -0500

sylvain hutchison wrote:

> Thanks David, I've added the alias you told me, and I get an error mesage
> saying that I have to install ncpfs before configuring any NetWare printer
> entries. Any idea where I can get that from, might it be on the install CD??

Yes it will be in the RPMS directory of the CD or in the downloaded
files.

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Need help w/ remote printing and ssh
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:16:45 GMT

I run vncclient/vncserver to work from my local machine and run programs
on a remote server machine via the Internet through a secure shell
tunnel (ssh-1.2.27).  The local machine is running Redhat 6.2, and the
remote machine is running Redhat 6.0.  I would like to generate
printouts on the remote machine that print on the printer attached to
the /dev/lp0 on the local machine.  I also need this to work through a
ssh tunnel so that no clear text goes through the Internet.

I tried this with

cat file-to-print | ssh local-machine lpr

and that worked.  The problem I have is that I can't configure all my
clients to print this way.  The best I can do is specify what printer I
want to print to.  So my plan is to print to a printer on the remote
machine that sends the printout to localhost:8515, and then port
forwarding that port w/ ssh to port 515 on my local machine.

Does anyone know how to specify in printcap that the printout should go
to localhost:8515?  Or am I even on the right track? I tried specifying
:rm='localhost:8515':, but lpd choked on that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gary Jaffe
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xfree86-4.0 and fonts: where do the come from?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:34:59 GMT

Eric wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Yesterday I posted a question w.r.t. TTfonts and XFree86-4.0, but the
> actual problem I'm having is even more puzzling to me. I can startx just
> fine as long as I do not provide a ?valid? fontpath in the XF86Config
> file. At this moment I have no fontpaths listed in the XF86Config file,
> but still XFree86 finds some 800 fonts or so. Where does it get
> these???? And how can I check if a fonts path is correct. What are the
> fonts.dir fonts.scale etc files supposed to look like?
> Any pointers to more information regarding this subject would be greatly
> appreciated, 'cause I'd really like to be able to add fonts.
>
> Eric

    Yeah, me too, I am bewildered by this issue. My experience has been
that the FontPath things do indeed work, here, for me. But, nothing I have
tried has ever made TT fonts available. I "think" (grain of salt, please)
that the module that "should" attend to this is named FreeType, and I have
insured that it is loading, and the path is right, and the permissions
allow XF86 to read them, etc. I had this working great under XF 3.3.6 using
xfstt, but, the docs for XF84-4.0 say that you can't do that anymore, and
guess what? The people who wrote the code are right, it blows Netscape off
the screen, completely, when I try to make it "see" a TTF. I keep your
address, you keep mine, sharing is what makes it all work, anyway.  :)))))

GOOD LUCK, Ray

--
Ray R. Jones
Linux 2.4.0-test2

------------------------------

From: Eric B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Can't access my /dev/hda1 partition
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:43:41 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I've been running a intel p3 box with windows and mandrake linux 7.0
> side by side for a month or two now.  It was missing the development
> tools so I reinserted the CD and did an upgrade.  But when that was done
> and the computer rebooted, I couldn't find windows in my LILO boot.  So
> i went into my lilo.conf file and found out that it wasn't listed there.
> So i typed in other = /dev/hda1 and all the other junk that goes along
> with it.  Saved the buffer.  Then I typed in lilo and I got this error:
> "first sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid boot signature".  Then
> if I click on my disk 0 icon on my desktop (an alias to the windows
> drive) it says: "WARNING - mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad
> superblock on /dev/hda1 or too many mounted file systems".  I did an
> fdisk and the partution shows up under /dev/hda1.  Now, when I do fdisk
> is: The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 3328.  There is
> nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024, and could in
> certain setups cause problems with:
> 1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., LILO)
> 2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
>    (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
>
> Next, I tried using my windows 98 boot disk and when I went into C:> and
> did a "dir" it said couldn't read media type on drive c (or something
> very similar to that).  Did a fdisk /MBR, and restarted and now said
> "Missing Operating System."  So I rebuilt the linux master boot record
> and I was at least able to once again go into linux which is what I am
> using now.  I'm not trying to bombard you with all my problems, but
> hopefully the more info I give the easier it will be for someone to help
> me with this problem.  I really need access to my windows partition, and
> if anyone can help me once again see my windows files....if even just to
> be able to back them up on CD's or Jazz disks or whatever, please please
> please lend a helping hand.  I apprecaite your time with this lengthy
> letter and can't wait to hear from someone;)
>
> Thanks again!
> Stu
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.
Well, sounds like you blew windows away.  Try to mount and read the
drive with:
mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt
you can replace msdos with vfat (I think) if you are running fat32 in
windows.  If it won't mount, you are probably toast. If you can't mount
it, try reinstalling windows onto the same partition.  With luck you
will at least save your data.
--
Windows:  A 32 bit shell for a 16 bit operating system, originally
written for

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux
Date: 4 Jul 2000 15:55:50 -0400

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I've been running a intel p3 box with windows and mandrake linux 7.0
> side by side for a month or two now.  It was missing the development
> tools so I reinserted the CD and did an upgrade.  But when that was done
> and the computer rebooted, I couldn't find windows in my LILO boot.  So
> i went into my lilo.conf file and found out that it wasn't listed there.
> So i typed in other = /dev/hda1 and all the other junk that goes along
> with it.  Saved the buffer.  Then I typed in lilo and I got this error:
> "first sector of /dev/hda1 doesn't have a valid boot signature".

Unless you (or a configuration programme) makes changes to /etc/fstab/,
Linux will not expect vfat volumes.

Try this. Make a directory in /mnt, say:

mkdir /mnt/hereitis

Then try:

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/hereitis

Then look in the /mnt/hereitis directory...

(the type paramter, "-t vfat," tells mount to expect a vfat volume - there
is a man page on mount)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.os.linux,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie,nl.comp.os.linux.netwerken,nl.comp.os.linux.overig
Subject: Re: mailserver
Date: 4 Jul 2000 20:12:22 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:02:49 +0200, Rick Schippers
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I don't know about qmail, but sendmail can be instructed to not send
>the mail immediatly, but wait for a certain command to send it, which
>could be launched from the cronjob as well. Qmail probably has a
>similiar feature, but you'll have to check the docs for that.
qmail has serialmail. Instead of crossposting, check dejanews next time.
Jurriaan
--
I must warn you that anything you say will be ignored
        Monty Python

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help! root directory mounted as readonly. What to do?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 13:18:41 -0700

Thanks for your replies, guys. I rebooted off of a emergency disk and ran
e2fsck manually. A couple of inodes were inconsistent, it fixed it and now
it's fine again. During "e2fsck" I got the message that the file "wtmp" had
a deleted/unused inode. It told me that it was put into "/lost+found". That
was easy.

Thanks again - David.

------------------------------

From: pelgrims p <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Large HD's
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 20:28:28 GMT

CoryJ wrote:

> What are you using to partition your drive?
> Disk Druid (at least from the RedHat v6.1 era) won't partition above the
> 8Gb mark, and won't even create partitions that cross the 8Gb mark.  The
> only real trick is to make sure your /boot partition is below the 8Gb
> mark, AND use a different utility to partition your drives.  I used
> Linux's fdisk to partition my 20Gb drive like this:
>
> 3Gb NT partition
> 16Mb Linux (/boot) partition
> 128Mb Linux Swap
> 2Gb FAT partition
> ~14Gb Linux (remainder of drive) partition

Would it be possible to put linux on a first 10GB disk and the /home on a
second 20GB disk ?
Hoping to receive some reaction, I meanwhile remain,

    P. Pelgrims

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Back space in Mandrake/SGI
Date: 4 Jul 2000 20:53:26 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000, Jens Kaalby Thomsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have previously used RH (5.2, 6.1, 6.1), but have just installed
>Mandrake 7.1. I have one serious problem: Back space works _fine_ in
>Mandrake in a xterm, but if I ssh from the same xterm to our main
>computer, which is an SGI, back space no longer does what I want it to
>do and I need to use Ctrl-h.
>
>How do I make back space work on the SGI as well? I had no problems with
>the RH distributions.

Didn't notice that until you mentioned it because I just have Mandrake on
my laptop.  I have .login and .profile on my ISP set TERM=vt100 and "stty
erase '^?'" if TERM=linux.  Any other TERM uses "stty erase '^H'".

You could simply type the following after you connect:

stty erase <backspace key>

Figure out why these backspace (erase) keys work, or not:
(RH uses gnome-terminal and Mandrake uses Konsole in KDE):

RH 6.1 xterm local bash: ^H works
RH 6.1 xterm -> Mandrake bash: ^? works
RH 6.1 xterm -> Solaris csh: ^H works
RH 6.1 xterm -> BSDI csh: ^H works (TERMINFO in env)
Mandrake xterm local bash: ^? works
Mandrake xterm -> RH 6.1 bash: ^? works
Mandrake xterm -> Solaris csh: ^? FAILS  (works after: stty erase '^?')
Mandrake xterm -> BSDI csh: ^H works (TERMINFO in env)

If we could figure out how Linux and BSD automatically set an erase
character that works, and Solaris and SGI do not, we might have an answer.
I tried using 'tset' on Solaris like BSDI uses in its .login, but maybe
that did not work if Solaris only has terminfo and not termcap.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Runlevel ?
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:53:07 +0200

How can I see in which runlevel Linux is running ?

Ed

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: DAT under Linux
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 20:57:56 GMT

You can also rewind it, etc, with the mt command.

Actually you can use any program that writes a sequential stream of data.
Most of them would not be particularly useful.  Most people use tapes to
backup data, so the tar, dd, cpio, dump commands mentioned before are the
ones you generally would use.

Test the tape with these commands and see how well it works (assuming it
is device /dev/nst0):

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst0 bs=4096 count=4096
mt -f /dev/nst0 offline

--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Major Easy)
Subject: Re: Install OpenGL on TNT 2
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 05:16:40 GMT

Craig Kelley wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Major Easy) writes:
>
>> Craig Kelley wrote:

>> >Did you install XFree86 via RPM?
>> >
>> >You probably should, unless you want to dissect the NVIDIA rpm files
>> >and place them by hand (not too difficult -- perhaps even easier than
>> >finding a good RPM for XFree86 4...)
>> >
>> No. I couldnt find an RPM for it. Do you know where I might find one?
>
>Any RedHat mirror that carries the rawhide/ directory will have a
>single file like XFree86-4.0-19.src.rpm in the SRPMS directory.  You
>can build the RPM like this:
>
>  rpm --rebuild XFree86-4.0-19.src.rpm
>
>and then install all the XFree86 binaries that are created in
>/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386 (or whatever arch you're using).

I went to look at the archive you mentioned today and found out it was 40MB!!
Unfortunately I have to pay by the minute for my access so its a bit expensive
for me. Also I would have to hog the phone for 3 or 4 hours and that would
make the people in my house pretty upset.

I think I will wait until they update red hat with the new version of XFree
and then get myself a CD of it.

------------------------------

From: The Grunewalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem setting up DHCP (RH6.1)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 17:20:58 -0400

Hi all,
I'm trying to set up my cable modem for Road Runner and I have a home
network. My Linux box has eth0 which is connected to my hub and eth1
which is connected to the cable modem. Upon boot up, the setup of the
eth1 fails.
I installed dhcp from the redhat CD. I have an
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 file:
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
ONBOOT=yes
BROADCAST=
NETWORK=
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=
USRCTL=no

I do not have a dhcp.conf file.I have a /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth1.exe that
looks like this:
#!/bin/sh
echo "`date` dhcpcd: IP address changed to $1" >> /var/log/messages
exit 0

I don't have dhcp in any runlevel.

The result of ifconfig eth1:
eth1    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:A0:CC:25:4A:09
           BROADCAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
           RX packets:0  errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
           collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
           Interrupt:11 Base address:0xdc00
This makes me think that the NIC is being recognized by Linux.

Obviously, there is a lot I don't know about this. Can somebody clue me
in? How do I get this setup?

Thanks,
Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,alt.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Problems with fsck on new disk
Date: 4 Jul 2000 21:23:56 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am having problems adding a new harddrive to my system. It was working
>fine in Windows. It is a Western Digital Caviar 34000
>specs:
>7752 Cylinders
>16 heads
>63 spt
>4000.7 megabytes
>
>I tried to fdisk it. It runs fine, but When I ran an fsck it complained
>about not being able to find the superblock. I tried iterations of the
>superblock backup. No luck. I finally ended up doing a mk2efs /dev/hdb
>
>Now I can run fsck on it. I fdisk deleted all partitions. I then ran
>fsck on it. If I run an "fsck -y /dev/hdb" it runs clean.
>
>If I run a "fsck -y -c /dev/hdb" it fails. I get a ton of errors.

You cannot fsck a partition until there is a filesystem on it.  But then
instead of mke2fs /hdb1 (or other partition), you tried to write a
filesystem on the entire drive, deleted the partitions with fdisk, and
then tried to fsck an entire drive with no partitions on it.  And you
wonder why fsck is confused?

You might want to grab your WD floppy, use the diagnostic program that can
wipe the drive to all zeros, and start over.  Create some partitions with
fdisk, mke2fs each partition and then play with fsck on the partitions
(NOT the entire drive).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:23:32 GMT

On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 00:31:54 -0700 Dr. David N. Haney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| The LINUX development people need to put in some serious work on LILO.  Nearly
| all the
| problems that I have had deal with LILO.  Unfortunately, I can not get any of the
| "cludges"
| to work for me.  For some reason the above attempt to create a boot disk says so
| many records
| in and so many records out, but nothing gets put on the floppy and it does not
| boot.
|
| I can mount the file system after booting with the install disk and escaping to
| the mini-bash shell.
| If I then make some links to the proper directories, I can even run lilo, but I
| get an error about
| the size of the disk (something over 1000 cylinders or something) which is really
| odd because
| TURBOLINUX had NO PROBLEM creating the LILO dual boot in my first installation.
| It
| only seems to be a problem with the new RedHat Linux.

You have run into a problem that is NOT the fault of LILO, but is instead,
the fault of the original PC design.  In that design they limited the field
in which a program that calls the BIOS (LILO has to call the BIOS to read
the kernel) to just 10 bits.  That's enough to access cylinders 0 through
1023.  If the kernel is on data blocks beyond that range, it cannot be
read.  When you run the "lilo" command it first finds what blocks the
kernel is on, then stores those blocks where LILO can read them at boot
time.  While doing this, it double checks to see if the blocks are in the
valid range.  The message you got is the report that it found the blocks
are outside the workable range.

I've heard there is a new version of LILO, or some boot loader, that can
get around the problem, somehow.  I've also heard it only works on certain
BIOS software (I have heard that some have added new BIOS calls to deal
with larger disks).  I haven't bothered to look at these because I have
been using a solution for ages that simply always works.

That solution is to create a small partition (it does not have to be number
one) which is positioned at the first cylinder of the disk.  That partition
is designated to be mounted as mountpoint /boot so that it will contain the
LILO data.  Then I put the kernel in there.  For convenience I also put the
lilo.conf file in there and symlink it from /etc/lilo.conf, but that part is
not essential to make this work.  Make the partition big enough to hold a
few kernels just in case.  10 meg should be plenty.

Unfortunately, unless you are very clever, retrofitting this in to an
already installed system will not be easy.  It needs to be set up at the
time you do the install.  I've done this in Redhat, but it was easier to
make it be partition 1, and let partition 2 be the / partition.

| Does anyone have any other ideas how I can get LILO back so that I can get back
| to using
| something better than WIN95?

In the mean time, you need to use a floppy.  It sounds like perhaps your
floppy drive is not working, or perhaps the diskette is bad or just not
formatted right.  But try this from Windows and DOS:

1.  Put the CDROM on Windows and find the file you want to put on the
    floppy from the CD.  There should be a rescue disk on the CD or maybe
    a kernel.  Copy this file to C:\ for easy access.

2.  Find RAWRITE.EXE on the CD and copy it to C:\ as well.

3.  Reboot into DOS directly.

4.  Put a blank or sacrificial floppy in the drive and FORMAT it now.

5.  Run C:\RAWRITE.EXE and give it the name of the file you copied.

If you cannot find an image on the CD that is suitable, e-mail me directly
at the address in the left part of my signature (putting the "@" in the
right place) and I'll make you one you can download in Windows.

From: "Aurelien Marchand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Weird install problem.... (NOT newbie)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:27:37 GMT

Hey,
I installed linux on 486s, pentiums, Pentium IIs etc.... but this time
something happened and I have no clue on how to fix it:

I tried to install first the Mandrake 7.0 on my home linux box: Pentium
166MMX boosted @ 220. The install went great. No pb. Then, once the install
was finished, I rebooted the machine and the kernel loaded properly, the
devices where found and initialized, short, it was good.

Then at the point of starting the init process, my machine hung. badly. Only
a cold reboot to make it work.
I then tried Mandrake 6.1 that I already installed on several machine and
the same thing happened. The install was perfect, the reboot fine until I
start the init process. I even tried a regular install with the normal
parameters. No success.

The weird thing is that my machine has on the primary drive a Windows 95
running and I've never had any pb with it. So I'm clueless and that's why I
post this message in case you have some suggestions...

Thanks a lot
Aurelien

Config: no sound card, ethernet card 3c59x, Trident video card, 2 HD
(primary windows one partition, secondary linux 1.8Gb), Pentium 166MMx
boosted @ 220 and 64Mb of ram.

See ya

------------------------------

From: Larry_82 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 6.2 Installation Keeps Crashing
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:30:03 GMT

I am currently trying to install red hat linux on a Pentium 90 machien,
with a 2.1 gig and a 540 meg hard drive, 16 meg's of ram, and an ATI
Graphics Ultra video card.  I can go through the setup and choose all my
options, but when it actually tries to install all the packages it freezes
at 0 files installed and x more to install. My hard drive is doing
something because I can here it, and I even let it go for a couple hours
one time to make sure it wasn't just taking a real long time.  If possible
could you give me some ideas as to what might be making the install freeze
up.  So far I have tried all of the following:

- Linux native partition under 2.1 gig for the root directory.  (My root
directory partition is about 1.6 gig's)

- My hard drives are both in LBA mode.  I have also tried installing it
without the second hard drive (540 Meg)

- I have disabled Video Shadowing and Power Saving in the BIOS.

- The directory structure for the RPMS and base files is correct, and all
the files are in tact.

I hope this is enough information.

Thanks

Lawrence

------------------------------

From: Vincent Dang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't install Win98 after I've installed Linux. Help.
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:48:44 -0600

I have primary hard dirve which I've installed Redhat 6.2  (and blew
away the original Win98 image) and everything runs great!  Woohoo!  I've
now got a secondary hard drive hooked up and wish to install Win98 on
it.  The problem is that the Win98 Setup can only install onto the "C:"
drive - my Linux drive.  The Win98 Setup only sees 4kB free on the C:
drive (probably from the old Win98 image), and discontinues the setup
because it needs ~7MB.

Is there a way to install Win98 on the secondary drive without
destroying my Linux install?  Or do I have to kill Linux and re-install
it on drive 2?  I've read a lot how-to's, but they all seem to talk
about installing Linux *after* Win9x.

Is it possible to simply swap the physical connections of my two drives
so that my Linux drive is now my secondary drive?

Any help would be great. Thx.
Vinnie.

------------------------------

From: Tobias Harvey Tews <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MWave sucks we are...
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:52:11 GMT

Ok wasn't that cool when MWave made a pnp card that had both a sound card
and modem put together!?
 NOT!
  It tends to lay in betwen a winmodem and normal modem. I read that its
POSSIBLE to install MWave under linux.  Problem is it can only be configed
though winblows, so you have to boot to dos or windows before booting up
linux to set the card?
 Anyhow, i'm a newbie, so after doing this, when I run minicom, the app
runs but I can't seem to type anything to the modem,it just sits there.
Does this maybe mean it can't find the modem at all?  Or would there be
errors if so?
 Yes I already made that link to /dev/ttyS0
 Windows says it's on com1

 Who else here uses MWave?

------------------------------

From: "Aurelien Marchand" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: another install problem (NOT newbie)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:58:28 GMT

Hey again,
I have another install pb. I added a sound card to my old system (Pentium
75, Mandrake 6.0).
My kernel is configured to support sound (I checked), and though I can play
au files and midi files throught the /dev/audio device, I cannot play
anything through the /dev/dsp device. All sounds going to /dev/dsp is
forwarded to the internal speaker. Xmms plays Mp3 throught the internal
speaker!! The result is better than I thought it would be but now,
seriously, I want to make the /dev/dsp to go to my soundcard.

The interesting part of that is when I read the /dev/sndstat I get this
result:
S/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load Type: Friver loaded as a module
Kernel: Linux XXXX.XXXX.XXX 2.2.9-27mdk #1 Nov 2 23:47:37 EST 1999 i586
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:

Card config:

Audio devices:
1: ESS ES1869 AudioDrive (rev 11) (3.01)

Synth devices:
0: Yamaha OPL3
1: SoftOSS

Midi devices:
0: ESS ES1688

Timers:
0: System clock
1: SoftOSS

Mixers:
1: Sound Blaster

a more /proc/sound gives the same results.
So I don;t have any drivers installed? Is that what I am supposed to get?
How can I fix it and redirect the /dev/dsp to the sound card?

Thanks a lot
Aurelien

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest