From: "Falcon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 4.0 test6 pre 5 & modules
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:51:52 +0200

The new struct of directories of modules make that the sistem not load any
module , somebody can say me how to solve ?

------------------------------

From: "K. Posern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: 45GB harddisk with old BIOS??!!
Date: 8 Aug 2000 09:35:48 GMT

Hi.

Fist: Thanks for your answer!

E J wrote:

> Look at the IBM documentation and find out what the correct CHS and pass
> the correct parameters to the kernal.

But which are the *correct* CHS?

At the hdd itself are noted the following ones:
Capacity: 46.1GB
LBA: 90,069,840 Sectors
CHS: 16383/16/63

At the homepage of IBM there I found the following (under Product Specs of my
hdd):
Sector size (bytes): 512
Recording zone: 15
User cylinders (physical): 27,724
Data heads (physical): 6
Data disks: 3

?

So what should I pass to the kernel?

"hdc=x,y,z" ?

And: IS Linux capable to work with my harddisc even if it is DEACTIVATED in
the BIOS?

And: The error-messages "hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)" at boot-time will
disappear with the right CHS-values?

And: Will there further be the message: "hdc: non-IDE (!!!!) drive, CHS=x/y/z"
at boot-time?

> The recent fix to the handle hard disk bigger than 32G is probably in your
> kernal.

How can I test this? - I've got 2.2.14.

> I know in the  Maxtor, you can jumper the 40G so it looks like a 2G hard
> drive, but it give you a new set of
> CHS numbers to access the entire hard disk.  See if you can do the same
> thing for the IBM drive.

That's with the IBM drive too.

But does this bring a lack of performance?

> As a last resort, you can get a disk overlay for your IBM 45G Hard drive.
> You might try the IBM website to see if you download it.
> For Maxtor, I usually get the disk overlay program EZ-BIOS from their
> website.

Yes there is something like that for IBM too.
But again (for this workaround): Would The use of an ondisk-manager mean to
have less performance?

Ciao,

Knuth Posern

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 09:36:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Look at the IBM documentation and find out what the correct CHS and
pass
> the correct parameters to the kernal.

No, do NOT do this. Following an industry convention for large disks,
the documentation will say it has a CHS of 16383/16/63.
However, I have the exact same disk and for me it works just fine with a
CHS of 5606/255/63. In toher words, that is what you should specify.

> You can't fool it by giving fake CHS numbers hoping to get the correct
CHS
> from autoprobing.
> The recent fix to the handle hard disk bigger than 32G is probably in
your
> kernal.

Then again, it might NOT be. What kernel version are you using? Upgrade
to 2.2.16 if you have the possibility.

> I know in the  Maxtor, you can jumper the 40G so it looks like a 2G
hard
> drive, but it give you a new set of
> CHS numbers to access the entire hard disk.  See if you can do the
same
> thing for the IBM drive.

Not a good idea, as IBM disks have a history of not only reporting a
different CHS if you set that jumper, but also disabling all IO
operations beyond the clipped capacity.

> As a last resort, you can get a disk overlay for your IBM 45G Hard
drive.
> You might try the IBM website to see if you download it.
> For Maxtor, I usually get the disk overlay program EZ-BIOS from their
> website.

IBM supplies the OnTrack Disk Manager. However, when I tried using it
for my IBM drive, it failed to recognize the correct CHS every now and
then (in fact, it seemed to find different CHS values each time I
started the program). In other words, if you have a Linux-only system
or don't need the IBM disk in other OS:s you might run, just disable hdc
in BIOS and pass hdc=5606,255,63 to the kernel (though both 2.2.15 and
2.2.16 autodetected mine).

Good luck!

Jon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: [Q] VOIP on Linux
Date: 8 Aug 2000 18:06:41 +0800

How do I use VOIP on Linux?  What's the necessary hardware/software that's
need for this purpose?

Thanks.

Napi

------------------------------

From: Jon Larsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 10:14:57 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "K. Posern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> But which are the *correct* CHS?

See my previous post.

> And: IS Linux capable to work with my harddisc even if it is
> DEACTIVATED in the BIOS?

Yes, unless you want to boot from it, that is.

> And: The error-messages "hdc: IRQ probe failed (0)" at boot-time will
> disappear with the right CHS-values?

That is really odd. Haven't seen anything like that before. You'll just
have to try it out and see what happens.

> And: Will there further be the message: "hdc: non-IDE (!!!!) drive,
> CHS=x/y/z" at boot-time?

Once again, hopefully not. =)

> > The recent fix to the handle hard disk bigger than 32G is probably
> > in your kernal.
>
> How can I test this? - I've got 2.2.14.

Just get the latest one to make sure. However, there should be some sort
of info in /usr/src/linux/Documentation (or wherever you store your
source tree).

> That's with the IBM drive too.
>
> But does this bring a lack of performance?

See my previous post.

> Yes there is something like that for IBM too.
> But again (for this workaround): Would The use of an ondisk-manager
> mean to have less performance?

Not necessarily, but it can cause a bunch of other problems, so try to
avoid it. However, using Ontrack is _necessary_ if you want to use the
drive with any Microsoft OS.

   / Jon

=====
The box said "Requires Windows 95 or better", so I installed Linux!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: CDRW
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 10:15:39 GMT

Hi,
How can I mount CDRW for reading under linux?

Thanks
Jamil Khatib

From: Jon Larsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: SuperUser equivalent
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 11:02:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> This is also the case wiht other binaries. How can I get my system
> behaving the way I will like it to do?

If you really want to do this - and I can't see why you would - then the
simplest way is this (do this as root):
1. Edit /etc/passwd with your favourite editor.
2. Copy the line containing root and paste the copy right underneath the
original.
3. Replace the username (root) with whatever you want - in this case
admin.
4. Save the file.
5. Run "passwd admin" to change the password of your new user.
6. Run pwconv just to make sure the new user's password is shadowed.

   / Jon

=====

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: 08 Aug 2000 12:55:35 +0100

  >> >It only matters to the free beer drunken college geeks who zero
  >> real >income, and too much free time on his/her hands.
  >>
  >> To switch every university-owned PC in the building in which I'm
  >> sitting, from Red Hat GNU/Linux to (say) Microsoft Windows 2000,
  >> would cost considerably more than our annual computer hardware
  >> budget.

  blowfish> Academia world has all the free time in the world though,
  blowfish> time is money in the biz world.

        What crap. I am generally on much shorter term contracts
than my friends who work in industry. Or indeed in other parts of the
public sector. The one exception to this is a friend who works as a
contractor, but he gets paid five times as much as I. The pressure of
time is as real for me, if not more so, as for many others.

        We use Gnu/Linux systems because there are capable of doing
the job, and because we have to spend much less time administering
them than we would do for windows boxes. I spend much less time
looking after my current PC than I did with the last one.

  blowfish> If they have to retrain employees. The time loss might
  blowfish> very well costs more than the costs of software.

        Staff costs are always an issue of course. Often it makes
sense to stick with a windows system for this reason alone. In time I
think that this will become a less compelling of course. At one stage
we all had to switch to windows, and then from 3.1 to 95. The upgrade
treadmill that windows enforces on people comes with an associated
cost. Its perfectly possible however to run a modern linux system on a
386/486 and still get useful work done. Or alternatively if you want
to upgrade to the latest linux system there is nothing to prevent you
from doing so. And finally of course you do not have to spend a small
fortune of software auditing, and ensuring you have the right licenses
for the right software.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 08 Aug 2000 08:13:54 -0400

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > why should an idea be owned?  can an idea be owned?  sometimes not.
> > e.g., mathematics cannot be patented or copyrighted.  the square root
> > of two is a concept free for anyone's taking -- yet it is created.
>
> Please re-read my posts carefully. I said when the idea had became a
> tangible object/item. Then, that object, as based on the "once was only
> an idea" can then be owned.

Right, but a copy of that object is not that object itself!
--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/

Project lead for The Gimp Print --  http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net

--Eric Crampton

------------------------------

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 08 Aug 2000 08:15:37 -0400

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Robert Krawitz wrote:

> > As for the relevance part: just because a market is illegal doesn't
> > make it not fit the definition of a free market.
> >
> > The claim at hand is that copyright interferes with the workings of a
> > truly free market by forbidding others from making copies and selling
> > them (giving one person an artificial monopoly in the good).

> If you are not the owner/creator of that object. Then, you have no right
> to sell, modify or do anything with it without the owner/creator's
> permission. Period.

Ah.  The owner/creator of the OBJECT.  But we're not talking about the
OBJECT; we're talking about someone independently making a copy of the
object.  Entirely different.

> All I can say is: Take your arguement to a *real* business person, and
> to court... ;-)

I'm not talking about business here.

From: Axel Reichart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CDRW
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 14:07:22 +0200

That's easy (at least if you wrote a normal CD-Filesystem on the CD-RW,
i.e. burnt a normal data CD).

you just need to edit your /etc/fstab file and add the following line:

 /dev/hdc        /cdrom                    auto
ro,noauto,user,exec 0  0

(replace /dev/hdd with the device appropriate for you:
                IDE-Channel 1/Master = /dev/hda
                IDE-Channel 1/Slave  = /dev/hdb
                IDE-Channel 2/Master = /dev/hdc
                IDE-Channel 2/Master = /dev/hdd;
the second entry (/cdrom) is the mount point, that's where the
CD-content appears after the    mount. you should specify an empty
directory there (for example: /mnt/cdrw). the third entry (auto)
specifies the filesystem. If "auto" doesn't work for you, try "iso9660"
instead. This requires you to have written a normal CD, as mentioned
above.)

Best regards,
                Axel

P.S.: If you should have SCSI, use the same procedure, but instead of
using /dev/hdx, you must use /dev/sdx (replace the x with the
appropriate letter: a for first storage device , b for second, and so
on....)

------------------------------

From: Phillip Lord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 08 Aug 2000 13:07:46 +0100

  blowfish> Then, the natives in E. Timor got tired of being ruled by
  blowfish> "outsider.", and tired of the Chinese-Indosians
  blowfish> controlling much of the economy. They rebelled.
  >>  I don't think that it was a question of rebellion. The Indonesia
  >> army invaded E.Timor. This would be about 28 years ago now, about
  >> 2 years after Suharto came to power in E.Timor. And funnily
  >> enough about 8 hours after Gerald Ford's plane left the tarmac on
  >> Jakarta, on the first official visit to Indonesia since Suharto.

  blowfish> My Indonesian friend who told me the story is sixty some
  blowfish> years old.  Her family witnessed the whole thing.

        Really.

        Of course whether its was an invasion or a rebellion is a
secondary issue really. It appears that at least a third of the
population was massacred by the army. There are many reports of the
grossest atrocities, from rape, and murder, to enforced and uniformed
use of long term contraception. E.Timor was the site of one of the
worst crimes against humanity, in a century full of them. Unlike
Vietnam we hardly heard anything about it however, because it was
supported by the US and the UK, rather than Eastern bloc as was.

  blowfish> There are lots of reasons why all these invasions are
  blowfish> taken place. I guess it's part of human nature, the greed
  blowfish> factor, or some hugh power ego trip.

          Or alternative its inherent with in the system of government
and economics that we live under. ("Come and see the oppression
inherent within the system"). In the past we argued that a King was
necessary because its was part of god's design. I think that a retreat
to human nature is the same argument and just as wrong.

  >> To argue that the arms trade, or indeed most "business" is
  >> separate from politics, and worse still morality is something
  >> that I feel is profoundly wrong.

  blowfish> Trades of any kind and politics always goes hand in hand.

  blowfish> Morality is entirly a seperate issue.

        Morality is separate from politics? This probably explains
a lot.

        Phil

------------------------------

From: Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 08 Aug 2000 08:26:07 -0400

blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> > So far, you're doing a real good job of showing that you can't stay on
> > track.  You keep changing subjects, and not addressing the original
> > claim, which is that:
> >    "if you can't own it, you can't be stealing it right?"

> To humanoids like you. You just take whatever your heart (or are you
> powered by GNU-GPLed cpu?)
> desires without ANY concerns about others, or anything. A totally
> self-centered, SELFISHED, elitist, and obnoxious bunch of
> mofo.foo.bar.humanoids.

You're arguing with a number of people who have actually written
software and donated it back to the community, and who might thereby
know what they're talking about.  Perhaps the same could be said for
you, but I have my doubts.

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Trade Mandrake 7.1 for equivilant
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 08:34:54 -0500

Buschman wrote:

> No what I meant was mandrake 7.1 for some other software, not
> neccessarily linux software.

 Which other software?

------------------------------

From: "TJ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Setup Linux coexist with NT 4 / Windows 2K ??
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 22:58:42 +1000

I have a dell Latitude. Currently I have Windows NT in it with a spare 1 GB
of partition. Could I install Linux in it?

What program exist for me to controll which partition to boot up for this
configuration?

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: Simon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What version of Linux do I need ???
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 14:05:10 +0100

I want to implement :

File and Print (Samba)
Web Server (Apachee)
Mail for ALL network users
Internet access for all users (using ISDN dial up)
Web cache if possible

which Linux ...Red Hat ... Caldera... ..????

------------------------------

From: Andrey Shipsha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Russian locale (KOI-8)
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 15:00:21 +0200

Could anyone please send me some hints how to install Russian locale on
Redhat 6.2?

Regards,

Andrey.

------------------------------

From: Chuck Cleland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.ppp,linux.redhat.install
Subject: ppp connection problems
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 13:06:05 GMT

Hello:
  I am using Redhat 6.1 and kppp to set up a dialup connection to Earthlink.
Linux seems to have found my modem and when I ask for a modem query under kppp I
get information back for fields ATI 1 - ATI 7 (but I think some fields are
empty).  I have followed instructions for setting up kppp at the following site:

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/modems/kppp1.html

  When I ask for a connect, I get the usual connection sounds and the connection
log reads as follows:

ATZ
OK
ATM1L1
OK
ATDT745-5863
CONNECT 38400

  When I look at kppp statistics, I see that I appear to have a connection and
have been assigned an IP address, but the kb/s is reported as 1.  I cannot do
anything with this connection like telnet, netscape, etc.  If anyone has ideas
about what I might be doing wrong I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Chuck

Chuck Cleland
Institute for the Study of Child Development
UMDNJ-Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
97 Paterson Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08903
phone: (732) 235-7699
  fax: (732) 235-6189
http://www2.umdnj.edu/iscdweb/

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest