Linux-Setup Digest #359, Volume #19               Wed, 9 Aug 00 11:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ppp connection problems ("Dog")
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (phil hunt)
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (phil hunt)
  Re: CGI and Apache (moonie;))
  Re: help! startup freezes.. (Davide Bianchi)
  Re: adding linux to win2k bootmenu ("Pat Parsons")
  getting close now - how to tell eth0 what irq & port to use, net config basic info
doesn't work??!! ("Ian Turnbui")
  Re: SB PCI 128 problem (moonie;))
  Re: Which distribution for file server? (moonie;))
  Re: Phat Linux 3.2 Doen't Boot! ("Pat Parsons")
  Re: newbie needs a linux god to grace his lowly telnet problem. (Raymond Johansson)
  Re: Downloading POP mail into a Linux account? (Edwin Johnson)
  Re: Problem with cablemodem and linux (Mark Bortis)
  Re: Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive (Johan Kullstam)
  Apache problems ("Nipper")
  Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship. (Jay Maynard)
  Re: Linux on AMD
  Tecra 8100 - Applixware & libc.so.5 (Peter Robin Hiesinger)
  Tecra 8100 - RAM detection (Peter Robin Hiesinger)
  Re: Small text in Netscape (MaryP)
  plextor 12x CD-RW, RedHat 6.2 ("Craig A. Lebowitz")
  Re: Linux only seeng half my RAM... (mindglow)
  Sound Live! (Lawrence Tai)

From: "Dog" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.ppp,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: ppp connection problems
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 13:15:15 GMT

Did you set your dns entries?

--
<Woof!>
Founder:
"Chuck Cleland" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello:
>   I am using Redhat 6.1 and kppp to set up a dialup connection to
Earthlink.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: FWD: Red Hat's CFO abandoning ship.
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:31:27 +0100

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 02:58:05 GMT, John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> ...and now this person got the $25k reward...
>
>I was already a Debian developer when I wrote pppconfig.  In order to
>upload it he would have to also be a Debian developer.  All Debian
>developers had the same opportunity that I made $25k on.  Thus your
>scenario falls apart.

What was this opportunity to make $25k?

--
*****[ Phil Hunt ]*****
** The RIAA want to ban Napster -- so boycott the music industry!   **

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (phil hunt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:35:20 +0100

On Tue, 08 Aug 2000 19:52:57 -0700, blowfish <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>But with many, if not most major corperations. If they do not spend all
>the money in the budget, then, they'll get less money for their
>department on the next round of budgeting.

Stop trying to wriggle out, you stupid, offensive, wilfully ignorant troll.

You were wrong. Admit it.

*PLONK*

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CGI and Apache
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:32:55 -0400

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, Carlos Ramirez wrote:
>Probably the best approach is to edit the httpd.conf file.
>
>First define you cgi-bin directory like so:
>
>ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /path/to/your/cgi/directory
>
>Make sure your directory is world readable and that your scripts
>are executable i.e. chmod a+rx script.pl
>
>Then try accessing your script like so:
>
>http://yourserver/cgi-bin/script.pl
>
>Hope this helps
>
>Carlos Ramirez
>

>Mark Gallegos wrote:
>>

>> I installed Red Hat 6.2 (custom installation) with the Apache web server
>> (1.3.12).  I got everything to work alright -- I got the 'Test Page', I
>> added my own pages and everything was fine and dandy.
>>
>> As I was testing CGI scripts I found that the server wasn't running them.
>> So I ran linuxconf and spotted the Server Tasks/Apache Web
>Server/Defaults
>> window.  At the bottom of this window I spotted "May Run CGI" and clicked
>> this button to activate this.
>>
>> Now I get the an error whenever I try to call up a web page from my web
>> server.  "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this
>server."
>> Is it really trying to access the root '/' directory?  I changed nothing
>> else in linuxconf.  The real problem is that this problem persists even
>when
>> I uncheck the "May Run CGI" box and try to return to the original
>> configuration.  Can anyone help me out with this problem.  Many thanks to
>> anyone who can offer help.
>>
>> Thanks, Mark

Actually this is a known problem with linuxconf, don't use it to set up your
Apache server, it will break it!  You will need to edit the file by hand, and
check your file permissions.  Good luck.
--
moonie ;)

Registered Linux User #175104

KDE2
Kernel 2.4.0-test5
XFree86 4.0 Nvidia .94 drivers
RAID 0 Stripped
Test-Pilots-R-Us ;)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: help! startup freezes..
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 13:35:19 GMT

On 09 Aug 2000 15:36:16 +0300, Esa Tiiliharju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>       Dear All,
>
>maybe someone knows a remedy for this: I installed RH 6.2 and start-up
>freezes at 'initialising random number generator'
>Nothing happens after this?!

Try aborting the random generator pressing ctrl+c, and see what
happen, then try to locate and fix the problem.
Maybe is usefull to recompile the kernel.

Davide

------------------------------

From: "Pat Parsons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adding linux to win2k bootmenu
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 08:39:11 -0700

Hey,
  I don't know if this will work in Win2000 but in '98 all you have to do is
create a .bat file to run loadlin and pass the location of the kernal.

news:8mp3ko$vvc$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ian Turnbui" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: getting close now - how to tell eth0 what irq & port to use, net config basic
info doesn't work??!!
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:53:18 +0100

What a bit of luck, I did the ping too early and as it took quite a time for
each of the 4 tries to  time-out  suddenly I got a reply to 1 out of 4, then
I noticed the message

eth0: Reentering the isr 0x0 0x0

and no more replies to the Ping from W98 to Linux.
I have a Thinkpad 380E and the  pcmcia-HOWTO states that the IRQ 5 and port
0x230-0x232F
should be excluded which I did in /etc/networks.o
Can anyone assist please?
TIA
Ian Turnbull
0961 931941
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Web  : www.turnbui.freeserve.co.uk

------------------------------

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SB PCI 128 problem
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:41:43 -0400

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, David .. wrote:
>Donald K Knepshield wrote:
>>
>> Hi all.  I recently bought a SB PCI 128 soundcard and have been fighting for
>> several weeks to get it to work.  The system can detect it, installs the
>> es1371 drivers, but cannot get any sound out of it.  sndconfig lets me set it,
>> but I don't hear any sound during the tests.  It is assigned irq 10, as I
>> expected.  I was wondering if any one has gotten this card to work, and if
>> they would share what they had to do, if anything to get it to work.  Thanks
>> in advance.
>
>I use the SB PCI 128 but use the es1370 module.
>
>--
>Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
>Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
>ID # 123538

There are several different versions of this card, I have an early version of
this card that uses the es1370.  I do have what I believe is the module from
someone who got the es1371 to work with his later sb128 here it is.

#alias char-major-14 off
#alias sound off
#alias midi off

then

#    module : es1371.o           Creative Ensoniq 1371 Chipsatz (-->
PCI64/128)
#
#                                Supported cards :
#
#                                Creative Labs PCI64/128
#
#    Documentation availabke at
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/es1371 and
#    /usr/src/linux/drivers/sound/es1371.c .
#
alias char-major-14
es1371 options es1371 joystick=0x200

I honestly don't know what to do with it, just copied it to help people with a
problem with their es1371s.  Good luck.

From: moonie;) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distribution for file server?
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:47:38 -0400

On Mon, 07 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I'm setting up a file server at home, and this will basically be my first full out
>install with Linux in this sort of setup
>(I'm never installed Linux for a server before, only on my workstation for fun).
>
>The computer will be a P166MMX, 48MB RAM, 4MB ATI Video Card, 10 or 15GB Hard Drive.
>
>I was thinking about installing Mandrake 7.2 because I have experience installing it.
> However I know it comes with KDE loaded
>by default.. is this a mistake? I've heard KDE is a memory pig, and I'm not sure how
>it will do on 48MB of RAM.
>
>ANy advice appreciated!
>
>--
>
>-T.

You either mean 7.02 or 7.1, 7.2 isn't out yet.  Yes KDE is used by default,
however it will install many more WM's for you and allow you to choose which to
use.  I use 7.02 as a file sharing platform using SAMBA.  Not sure if KDE will
be too resource hungry for 48MB or not, you can try it, and try others as well
from the drop down list at GUI login prompt..  If this box is to be used mainly
as a file sharing system there is no need to run a GUI at all, it will run
faster from the CLI.  If you don't need a GUI don't use one.

From: "Pat Parsons" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Phat Linux 3.2 Doen't Boot!
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 08:50:03 -0700

Is the Linux.bat file saying that the kernel is in the right place.
news:8mk77s$lpn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Raymond Johansson)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: newbie needs a linux god to grace his lowly telnet problem.
Date: 9 Aug 2000 13:47:09 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buschman) writes:

>My linux machine itself can telnet to other established linux/unix
>servers, but I can not telnet to my linux machine.

Does the file /usr/sbin/in.telnetd exist?
It is in the rpm telnet-server in RedHet 6.2.

-- rj

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Re: Downloading POP mail into a Linux account?
Date: 9 Aug 2000 14:04:51 GMT

Take a look at getpop3. I've been using that for several years to get mail
from two different pop accounts. It's easy to setup and quick.

...Edwin

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 07:23:53 GMT, djmiller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Is there any way I can get Linux to connect to my various POP e-mail
>accounts, download the e-mail, and stick it in a Linux account, so I can use
>one Linux account to read all my e-mail?
>
>Special bonus points if I can also connect it to my MSN e-mail account,
>since their POP server uses "Secure Password Authentication."

~   Edwin Johnson ....... [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ~
~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

------------------------------

From: Mark Bortis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.madrake,comp.dcom.modems.cable,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Problem with cablemodem and linux
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:20:20 GMT

Is yur Ip address assigned via dhcp or are you given a permanent one?

Michael Mitchell wrote:

> if you are assigned an ip number, why aren't manually configuring w/netcfg?   If
> windows runs fine, then run "winipcfg" write down all the info, check your
> network settings on your ethernet card (again write down everything, don't
> commit anything to memory)
>
> Not exactly sure how your cable provider works things but to use Netscape for
> your mail, use the ip number of the mail server in your pop and stmp settings.
> All other info should be exactly like it is in windows.  At least this works for
> me using Intermedia@Home
>
> Jim wrote:
>
> > I am not familiar with RIP. How do I disable that?
> >
> > "James Stormes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:7hHi5.59217$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > You may need to disable RIP.
> > >
> > > Kyle Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > not

> > routing
> > > and
> > will
> > boot
> > > into

> > > so.
> > > ping,
> > all

> > > reinstall
> > > However
> > > both...

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.act.scsi,linux.dev.newbie,linux.redhat.install,sg.linux
Subject: Re: Adding a SCSI controller changing boot drive to SCSI drive
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 09 Aug 2000 10:22:40 -0400

"Magix news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I have replaced all my IDE drives with SCSI ones.
> I know which SCSI hard drive my doot disk is on sda7.
>
> I have a boot floppy that was created for the IDE system
> I can not boot linux from HD and do not want to re-install.
>
> Can I modify the boot floppy to add a driver for my adaptec 2940 card. Do I
> have to rebuild anything on the boot floppy.

* find another running linux box.
* build a kernel with scsi controller driver built-in.
* make bzdisk (this will call dd) to install it to the floppy.
* use rdev on the floppy to adjust to boot from sda7 instead of the
  default of the machine where you built it.

hope this helps.

--
J o h a n  K u l l s t a m
[[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: "Nipper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache problems
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 10:33:47 -0400

Alright. Yesterday I set up apache as an inetd server on port 8080, and we
were able to connect to it fine and get the web page and all that jazz.
Today nada. We're running through all the config files again, and we've
changed the server back to stand alone, but still no dice. Weird thing is,
we can start and stop httpd and inetd fine, but whenever we try to connect
to the server it says can't connect to remote host. Even from the server
itself (by connecting through lynx to localhost). Any ideas? Thanks in
advance for any advice.

-Jer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jay Maynard)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,gnu.misc.discuss
Date: 9 Aug 2000 14:34:14 GMT

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 01:19:16 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Because they lost their communist ethos, the same way russia lost it, and
>all the others lost it? The moment people gained power, communism fell apart
>as they got greedy and strived for more power and luxury.
>There hasn't been a genuine communist government anywhere on this planet
>yet!

By this definition, "genuine communist government" is impossible. People's
inherent greed, coupled with the undeniable fact that powr corrupts, will
inevitably lead those who try down the same road.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 10:40:06 -0400

He're something in the gee, whizz! department :

I swaped out  p2 350, and put in a amd tbird.  ( just changed the MB and
CPU)
After I got it booting right, I hooked up the hdd, and rebooted. the
familiar lilo boot prompt greeted me ( rh 6.0, w98 and w2k were on the hdd,
from when I was using the P2 ). Chose linux, and I was at run level 3, as
usual, network was up and running. Logged in, and got into X .
Yup, definitely faster. Enabled dma transfers on the CD, and proceeded to
play mp3's while I downloaded windows drivers for the video cards.

Time to get operational : How long does it take to boot  ? :)

Unfortunately , I can't say the same about windows.

joseph

shook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in

------------------------------

From: Peter Robin Hiesinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Tecra 8100 - Applixware & libc.so.5
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:18:07 +0200

I have installed Applixware 4.4.1 (the 99 office suite) on a Tecra 8100
(with XiG - X-Server), but Applixware won't start because it doesn't
find libc.so.5. The shlibs5 are installed however - and libc.so.5 can be
found on my system under /usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib
How can I make applixware find it?

        robin

------------------------------

From: Peter Robin Hiesinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Tecra 8100 - RAM detection
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 16:19:44 +0200

Despite 128MB RAM linux only reports 64MB when booting (Suse 6.4) - and
then only 48MB for the running system. There is probably an easy
solution, is there?

        robin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (MaryP)
Subject: Re: Small text in Netscape
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 09:48:21 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Will Blake
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm having trouble with Netscape because the text it uses is
> tiny.  I know that I've seen a fix somewhere.  Can anyone
> tell me where it was or how to fix my problem?

On the Linux mirror sites there is a "font deuglification howto" that can help.

MP

------------------------------

From: "Craig A. Lebowitz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: plextor 12x CD-RW, RedHat 6.2
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 09 Aug 2000 14:54:13 GMT

Does anyone have experience with the new drive and linux?  Older versions of the
Plexwriter?  TIA

craig

------------------------------

From: mindglow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux only seeng half my RAM...
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:47:43 GMT

In article <8dlj5.9949$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Johannes Ettrup Larsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> This was my problem since I bought a new motherboard and 128M Ram.
>
> But I have just now solved my problem.
>
> I went into 'LinuxConf - Lilo defaults - Extra options' and wrote in
'Boot
> options': "linux mem=128M".

indedido...appending mem=xxxM tells the kernel how much ram you've got.
remember: lying to your kernel ie. telling it you have more ram than
you've actually got installen _will_ cause problems.

this will probably get put into the sources sooner or later.

> Now linux seeng my 128M RAM
>
> A happy Johannes

--mindglow

sigs suck

From: Lawrence Tai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound Live!
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 22:17:28 +0800

Which option should I selected before compiling a kernel?
Thanks.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest