From: julian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: new monitor X Problem
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 13:20:59 +1000

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.setup julian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >       I've replaced mt 13" monitor with a 17" one.  The problem is that I
> > have had to alter the resolution down to get a viewable image.  I'm not
> > quite sure why.  The Video card, a Trio 3D/2x has 8 Mb of RAM, but the
>
> Whay aren't you sure? I'm not sure why you aren't sure since I think
> you should be sure, being the only person sure of your actions and
> capabilities ;-).

Ho HO :-)

> > config only has 4 listed.  How do I change this?  I'm running Mandrake
>
> You edit the config file and stipulate that you have 8MB, if you do.

What is the config file called?

> > 7.2  Another thing is that the colour in the icons in Netscape has
> > gone!!
>
> Normal. That means you are running now in 24 bit mode: 3 bytes per
> pixel. With 4MB, You should be able to do 1152x768 resolutions easily.
>
> Peter

So how do I get the colours back?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (3FE)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Re: Backing up parts of Linux
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:18:43 GMT

On Fri, 04 May 2001 23:02:36 -0400, Scott Vetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>     I need to backup part of my Linux system and have never attempted to
> do so.  If I'm at the directory I want to backup (with it's
> subdirectories) what options do I give the tar command?  I want to back
> the directory up with the subdirectories and put it on a file which I
> will be FTPing to another system (non-Linux).

That's a pretty broad question.  What's your recovery strategy?  Ah
ha, got you there, right?

Done correctly, you could grab /etc and /home, and recovery would be a
matter of slapping in a fresh Suse install, then overlaying that with
your tars.

Make up a file of stuff you don't want to backup (/root/tarX):

  /proc
  /tmp/*
  /scratch/*

etc.  Then you can:

  tar cvzX /root/tarX -f /scratch/20010602_backup_$(hostname).tgz / > \
             /scratch/20010602_backup_$(hostname).log 2>&1

There are other archivers out there.  I like afio.

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
     [EMAIL PROTECTED]        Give up Spammers; I use procmail.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: problem with network card
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 02 Jun 2001 23:18:55 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stefaan Margot) writes:

> I have checked my config and everything works fine.
> The eth0 is there, it has the correct IP address, the IO & IRQ are
> fine, I have used the correct driver ...
> I can ping the local machine but I can't reach any other machine.
> Any other suggestions ....
> TIA

One basic thing to check is your cable setup.  If you are hooking up two
machines directly, you need to use what is known as a crossover cable.  If you
are hooking up the machines to a hub or a switch, you need to use normal
straight through cables, and unless you have multiple hubs or switches, either
don't use the port that is shared with the uplink port, or make sure the port
is in the normal position, and not the uplink position (some hubs or switches
have a button that when it is one position one port becomes a crossover port
instead of a normal port).  If you have a hub or a switch, you might want to
look at the LEDs to see if it is what is expected.  Ditto for the LEDs on the
network card.  Make sure all cables are plugged into the appropriate socket.
Try a different cable, or try your cable in a different setup.  If you are
using very long cables, try moving the machines closer and use shorter cables.
Try plugging into a different port on your hub/switch (I shorted out one of my
ports in a LinkSys switch for instance).  Power cycle your hubs or switches (I
find my LinkSys hub needs to be power cycled every few days).

Another thing to look at is your firewall setup.  It could be possible that
when you set up the system, you asked for higher security, and one of your
systems is blocking the packets.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: "inon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: eth0 never comes up
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 22:39:47 -0500

After installing (PCI) Linksys NC100 (even with LNE100TX) card, /proc/pci
shows this line

"Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x20000000[0x20000001]"

Does this mean my system PCI bus cannot handle this NIC card? System is a
Pentium 90, 64MB SIMMs, 4.3G, 5 ISA & 2 PCI slots.

--
- Inon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.unix.questions,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: sshd - slow initializing connection
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 03:50:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001, inetquestion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm running redhat 7.1 and was reading an article about different
> methods of starting sshd.  One problem I noticed is that the
> connection to the server is very slow.  The article mentioned
> that this could be because the services is restarting evertime a
> connection is attemped instead of running all the time.
>
> Can anyone one offer an performance tuning to sshd or maybe
> some other areas I should look into.

There have been many replies about correct DNS setup, but I don't even
think that is an issue if running as a daemon.  When I connect ssh to
another box on my LAN it is connected in about 2 seconds (RSA passphrase
auth using ssh-agent).  Other shell accounts on the internet take 3-5
seconds (unless high load ave).

On the other hand local telnet will not connect until I am either
connected to the internet (nameserver) or DNS times out if not connected
(about a minute).

If you are starting sshd from (x)inetd, then there may be a startup delay
for sshd, plus a delay for DNS lookup, like I get for telnet.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 05:37:18 +0200

julian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "Peter T. Breuer" wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.setup julian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >       I've replaced mt 13" monitor with a 17" one.  The problem is that I
>> > have had to alter the resolution down to get a viewable image.  I'm not
>> > quite sure why.  The Video card, a Trio 3D/2x has 8 Mb of RAM, but the

>> > config only has 4 listed.  How do I change this?  I'm running Mandrake
>>
>> You edit the config file and stipulate that you have 8MB, if you do.

> What is the config file called?

The same as it's always been called, plus a "-4" on the end if you are
talking about Xf86 4.x. Look at the startup messages from the server
for the definitive answer.

>> > 7.2  Another thing is that the colour in the icons in Netscape has
>> > gone!!
>>
>> Normal. That means you are running now in 24 bit mode: 3 bytes per
>> pixel. With 4MB, You should be able to do 1152x768 resolutions easily.

> So how do I get the colours back?

By changing your preferred colour depth, either in the config file or
on the command line. Go for 16 bits.

Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: Red Hat 6.2/7.0 installation annoyance:  how to get it to not insist on a
swap volume?
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 03:57:10 GMT

One irritation I have run into when installing Red Hat Linux 6.2/7.0 is that
neither the graphical Disk Druid nor the graphical screen that calls fdisk (if
I try to bypass Disk Druid) will allow me to proceed to the next phase of
installation without creating a swap volume.  On systems with 0.5 or 1 Gibytes
of RAM, this doesn't really make sense unless one is running some majorly
hairy applications, and is even less desirable on an embedded system, and
downright bad on an embedded system running off a CompactFlash module (where
you really need to keep writes to a minimum to preserve the media).  Does any
way exist to bypass this in an almost-normal installation?  If a hack is
required, I can do it (I can already think of 2 or 3 myself), but I'd rather
have something relatively simple I can tell customers (for single-board
computers on which they will be running Linux).  Note:  Hard Hat Linux 1.0/1.1
(almost the same as Red Hat 6.1) text-mode Disk Druid just complains about not
making a swap volume, but lets the installation go ahead anyway, and then
everything works fine.  Why did Red Hat hose this option?

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
New e-mail address is approximately:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Kel Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Password not accepted
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 13:28:50 +0930

hi all,
    This is my first encounter with Linux, and I have installed it many
times from CD, and all types (eg server, workstation etc). however no
installation lets me type in the password. In graphical mode, a log-in frame
is displayed with a place to type in a (Login) user name. This name is
accepted and then pressing enter moves the cursor down to the (Password)
password box. But the box sappears to be locked and does not allow
characters to be typed in. Of courrse the log-in fails
    The same occurs in the text interface

                any help will be most appreciated.

                Kel
                [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "McShen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: i need help
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 00:14:05 -0700

Currently, I have 2 OSes installed on my computer, windows 98 and win2k pro.
They are working fine since win2k pro has a dual boot option. I wanna
install linux on my computer for web development. My question are

1.Is it possible to have 3 different OSes on 1 computer?

2.What program should I use? system commander?

thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: CD Burning/SCSI emulation with RH 7.1
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 04:04:42 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001, Name too long
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:53:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 19:41:44 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>
>>>I used to have RH 7.0 running the 2.2 kernel, and then I upgraded to 7.1
>>>with the 2.4 kernel.  Both of my CD drives (IDEs) were working under
>>>/dev/scd0 (the reader 0,0,0) and /dev/scd1 (the burner 0,1,0).  After
>>>the upgrade, kudzu found my CD-ROM drive for some reason and added it to
>>>/etc/hosts even though it was already set under /dev/scd0.  It is no
>>>longer recognized as being SCSI.  My CD burner was left at /dev/scd1 and
>>>is still recognized as a SCSI device, but is now at 0,0,0.  cdrecord's
>>>scanbus option no longer can detect my reader so I can't make disc
>>>copies as easily as I could before.  What should I do?
>>>

>>rebuild the kernel with:
>>scsi cdrom support
>>generic scsi support
>>ide-scsi driver
>
> and of course, put 'append="hd<x>=ide-scsi"' in lilo.conf where /dev/hd<x>
> is your ide drive letter for the cdrom.

Actually for 2.4 kernels it is just scsi instead of ide-scsi.

But if SCSI emulation, SCSI support and SCSI generic support are built
into the kernel, you don't even need the append.  SCSI cdrom support can
be a module (sr_mod) and ATAPI cdrom should NOT be built-in (it can be a
module for alternate kernels).

From: olgnuby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 02 Jun 2001 23:01:23 -0500

"Peter T. Breuer" wrote:

> julian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> By changing your preferred colour depth, either in the config file or
> on the command line. Go for 16 bits.

Just tossing in my own two farthings worth, with only 8 meg of video,
regardless how I configure it, when running pretty console modes on boot
up, I lose colors under X in the higher resolutions and depths. I get
around it when I'm playing in Mandrake or with kernels compiled to show
me a pretty penguin, by just choosing to boot without virtual frame
buffer, or at least one of the lower resolutions with vga=ask.

Other than that I'm getting pretty good graphics at 1280x1024 on this
Mandrake 8 I wasted twenty seven dollars on today after breaking all my
Mandrake 7.2 distro disks and swearing I'd never touch another piece of
their shit. ;-)

Glad I've still got a Deb and FreeBSD install on the two back forties.

Charlie

--
"Laughter is the best laxative there is for a constipated mind. Humor is
an ideal spoon to dose it."

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CRON won't run my executable
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 23:11:03 -0500

Mark Johnson wrote:

> I created the following bash script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> SRC_FILE=/home/mjohnson/stuff/something.txt
> DST_FILE=`/usr/bin/timestamp -f /Archives/archive-%H:%M:%S.tar`
> LOG=/home/mjohnson/archive.log
> echo "creating archive: $DST_FILE" >> $LOG
> cp $SRC_FILE $DST_FILE  <-----

What is `cat $SRC_FILE`?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 04:21:00 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 03 Jun 2001 01:28:27 GMT, Mark Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I created the following bash script:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> SRC_FILE=/home/mjohnson/stuff/something.txt
> DST_FILE=`/usr/bin/timestamp -f /Archives/archive-%H:%M:%S.tar`
> LOG=/home/mjohnson/archive.log
> echo "creating archive: $DST_FILE" >> $LOG
> cp $SRC_FILE $DST_FILE
>
> I wrote the utility 'timestamp' which simply parses the command line and
> applies the strftime() formatters and prints the results to the screen.  I
> use it to create timestamps for use with filenames.
>
> When I run this script as root, it works perfect, but if I run in from CRON
> the DST_FILE is always empty.

Assuming that you are getting a log entry, try the following to also log
stdout or stderr from the copy process:

cp $SRC_FILE $DST_FILE >> $LOG 2>&1

> I tried setting the group for this utility to 'bin' but that didn't seem to
> make a difference.  I don't understand way CRON can run this utitility.  Do
> i  have to call some special API in 'timestamp' in order for it to run
> properly?

What are permissions of 'timestamp', /Archives dir and this script?
Are you setting cron with 'crontab -e' as user mjohnson (or if it needs
root access with 'crontab -e' as root?

From: "Tito the Mime" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: q: linux software rewiew website?
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 00:26:55 -0400

http://www.cnet.com's Linux center is pretty informative.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: mount: /dev/cdrom has wrong major or minor number
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 04:37:25 +0000 (UTC)

On 2 Jun 2001 15:11:10 -0700, mason elmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Ever sence i have recompiled my 2.4.4 kernel it has been saying that.
> [masone@mason masone]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            4 May 20 15:28 /dev/cdrom -> scd0
>
> and that is pointing to the right place, and i am guessing that it has something
> to do with /etc/fstab, and i dont know what the major and minor numbers are. so
> i just want some help with any further instructions.

See if 'cat /proc/scsi/scsi shows your cdrom.  If not, you forgot to
configure something related to SCSI into the kernel or as a module.  If it
is real SCSI you need support for your SCSI card, besides SCSI support.
If it is SCSI emulation of an ATAPI drive, make sure that you have SCSI
emulation support and that ATAPI cdrom support is NOT built-in (it can be
a module).  It probably does not hurt to have SCSI generic support built
in too.

Check your boot messages to (or dmesg) to see if device(s) were found.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Partition size.
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 04:53:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 01:42:39 -0700, Rama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi,
>  i want to install linux 7.1 workstation. I have win 98 SE. I want to
> install linux  workstation in another partition with 1.3GB.
> What is the recommended file size for each of the directory?
>  For e.g. /
>             /boot
>             /home
>             /var
>             /usr
>             /tmp swap
>
> Hope to hear from you soon.
> thanks.

With that little space it is best to stick with something simple.
If you need /boot it does not need to be more than 16 MB.
/var 256 MB
/swap depends upon RAM, but probably not more that 126 MB.

But since you may be pressed for space, you may want to just have / and
/swap and you may not even need swap if you have 128 MB or more RAM.

The last Mandrake I installed (7.0) was 1.2 GB and SuSE 7.1 was 1.5 GB
for the "Personal" (stripped down) edition.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Permission denied
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 05:00:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 2 Jun 2001 21:35:12 +1000, Stephen Kirby <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am stuck on a problem with access permissions.  The file access
> permissions on files and directories seem to be correct.  I log in as root
> OK but if I try to
> change to another user I get permission denied.
>
> What else is controlling the permissions if it is not the file and directory
> permissions?
> Have I inadvertantly changed a config file somewhere?
>
> eg
> su  auser
> I get
> permission denied /bin/bash

You are using su incorrectly (man su).  If you are trying to do this as
root from your home dir, it is likely that that user does not have
permission to access /root or /root/.bashrc, etc.

Try: su - auser
So you inherit the user's environment instead of root's

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest