  Re: Linux on AMD (J Bland)

From: "Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.apps.cdwrite,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Simple question about CD-Writing for Linux
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:05:03 +0100

Jimi Aleshin wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         I have Red Hat Linux 6.1 with the 2.2.12-20 kernel. And I just
> installed a Hewlett Packard CD-Writer 9310i. It works in Windows and it
> suggests with it being set to the "Cable Select" jumper. I'm just
> wondering if Linux works with Cable Select? Or do I have to put the
> jumper on Slave or Master? My CD-Reader which came with the computer is
> Master I think (probably). So does that mean I put the CD-Burner on the
> Slave jumper? And also if I have Plug and Play enabled on Linux will it
> autodetect the CD-Writer? If not, is there any other way?
>
> Please tell me anything on making it work, thanks.
Hi,

Sounds like an IDE CD Writer... You will need to build a kernel with the
SCSI emulation switched on. Check out the file
/usr/doc/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO for details.

If possible I would put the Writer on the master jumper and the CD
reader on slave. Last time I tried XCDroast it wasn't happy about a
'slave' writer even though it showed up in the list of devices.

You will need to change the link /dev/cdrom to point to /dev/scd0 (I
think that is what the emulated disks become). No doubt the HOWTO will
mention this...

Regards

Phil Q

--

Phil Quiney                             CSIP Demonstrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]              Nortel Networks,

"This message may contain information proprietary to Northern
Telecom so any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution
of its contents is strictly prohibited."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: setup to use xcdroast for cdburning
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:34:54 GMT

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:45:21 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>hi..
>i upgraded from  redhat 6.0/2.2.5-15 to 6.2/2.2.14-12
>xcdroast was working ( whichmeans i had kernel right etc.) but now with
>upgrade i can't get it.......
>any help appreciated see below error::::::
>
>i get:
>[root@localhost bin]# xcdrgtk
>
>** WARNING **: Failed to scan the SCSI-bus. Either no permission to
>access the
>generic scsi devices or no SCSI support in the kernel.
>(For ATAPI (IDE) devices you need to install SCSI-Emulation first)
>(You can start X-CD-Roast anyway with the -i option)

Looks like you do not have the SCSI emulation installed in your
kernel, or the CDWr is already under the control of the IDE
interface, and the SCSI cant' access it.

Read the CDWriting-HOWTO, it's clear about this problem.
Probabily you have to recompile the kernel and remove the
IDE-CD support and add the SCSI CD Support and emulation.

Davide

------------------------------

From: James Bilitski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo/hard drive
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:43:32 -0700

Good idea but...
Now I can't even boot from floppy when the SCSI HD is connected.  Once I
remove the HD, the floppy disk boots fine.
Maybe the HD is either really screwed up or is just broken.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: Sound card doesn't initialize (Opti 931)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:36:18 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 20:51:02 GMT, Mr. Mister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>My sound card only seems to work under Linux if I start the computer in
>Windows first. If I do a cold boot directly into Linux the sound card
>doesn't work, i.e. cat /dev/sndstat gives an error rather than the nice
>list of devices.  By the behavior is suspect that Windows is
>initializing something on the card that Linux for some reason isn't.
>
>I'm using Suse 6.2, the sound card is a a Sound Blaster compatible Bravo
>card with the Opti 931 chip set.

Maybe the card is P&P, so is waiting to receive the correct "init"
for IRQ and DMA... try set the IRQ manually.
Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: linux 6.1 hdd problem
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:37:44 GMT

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:30:08 GMT, rithaliya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>My redhat Linux does not support hard disk of more then 8 Gb. If required
>to use more than 8 GB what will be the process for it.
>Thanking you.

I had RedHat 6.0 on a 10Gb hd, no problem (until I did a dd if=...
 of=/dev/hda...). What's your concern or the problem you are
esperiencing ?

Davide

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Linux on AMD
From: Boddhisatva Troutwaxer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:37:06 -0700

shook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am thinking of setting up Linux on an AMD machine.  Did you
have any
>problem with the install or after the install?
>
>Shook

The one issue you should be aware of if you are using AMD to save
money is that you cannot go cheap on the memory. Linux really
needs to have good, high quality memory.

Also, if you have one of those motherboards that uses both kinds
of memory, be aware that the 72 pin implementation on some of
those motherboards is not very good. Return your 72 pin memory to
the store and get the good stuff.

I also had terrible problems with overheating the first time I
tried an AMD, but that was because I had a ribbon cable caught
in the fan. ;)

T.

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:59:53 +0200

James Bilitski wrote:

> Good idea but...
> Now I can't even boot from floppy when the SCSI HD is connected.  Once I
> remove the HD, the floppy disk boots fine.
> Maybe the HD is either really screwed up or is just broken.

Or perhaps you have the boot-order set to boot from HDD first in the
bios, before booting from floppy? Check this in the bios settings!
Then you can start booting from floppy and correct the lilo.conf file
(and re-run lilo ofcourse)
BTW. Whenever I install RH linux here on a machine, it always offers me
the same two options (linux and linux-up) you've seen, but the linux-up
boots a dual processor kernel (although I don not have a dual processor
system! I don't know why it installs this kernel too) So perhaps the MBR
is overwritten too on your machine, but due to pure (bad) luck, the
names are the same as you had previously.

Eric

------------------------------

Subject: will my kit work with linux?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:09:53 GMT

Hi all,

Not being particularly familar with linux, I am unsure of whether Linux will work on
my machine:

-Dual pro Gigabyte motherboard with onboard ultra wide fast scsi, ide and dual celeron
433 processors (which work fine with nt and w2k)
-40GB ide drive and 18GB ide drive
-yamaha scsi cdrw (6x4x16), scsi exabyte dat drive
-ide pioneer dvdrom (10x), ide oem cdrom (50x)
-tnt2-m64 32mb agp video card
-64bit pci soundcard from dell
-diamond multimedia pci v90 modem
-3com pci network card
-USB connectix webcam
-parallel port scanner by umax and HP deskjet 890+ printer

I would prefer to use the 18GB drive entirely for Linux (assuming it'll work on my
machine) and the other 40GB for my "bread-n-butter" OS work.

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards,

Leigh

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: Patrick Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How can I change shell?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 08:45:42 GMT

Hi all:

I am using Caldera 2.3 w/ kernel 2.2.16.  Just wondering how I can
change my environment from bash to tcsh in Caldera (or linux in
general)?

Thanks very much in advance.

Patrick.

------------------------------

From: silnux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.madrake,comp.dcom.modems.cable,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Problem with cablemodem and linux
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:58:04 +0200

Mark Bortis a écrit :

> Is yur Ip address assigned via dhcp or are you given a permanent one?
>
> Michael Mitchell wrote:
>
> > if you are assigned an ip number, why aren't manually configuring w/netcfg?   If
> > windows runs fine, then run "winipcfg" write down all the info, check your
> > network settings on your ethernet card (again write down everything, don't
> > commit anything to memory)
> >
> > Not exactly sure how your cable provider works things but to use Netscape for
> > your mail, use the ip number of the mail server in your pop and stmp settings.
> > All other info should be exactly like it is in windows.  At least this works for
> > me using Intermedia@Home
> >
> > Jim wrote:
> >
> > > I am not familiar with RIP. How do I disable that?
> > >
> > > "James Stormes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:7hHi5.59217$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > not

> > > routing
> > > will
> > > boot

> > > all

Hi ,
I don't know much, I 've had this very same problem, with RH 6.0 and 6.1, SUSE and
Mandrake 6.1. Trying Mandrake 7.0 fixed my problem. I don't know why.....
I think that there was a problem with my BIOS because moving my ISA cards seemed to
improve a few things. Last thing is to des-activate the PnP OS in the Bios (that way
the bios itself helps Linux in finding the relevant config)

Hope I helped....
--
 __Silnux___

------------------------------

From: Loic Jouanique <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: newbie needs a linux god to grace his lowly telnet problem.
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:56:22 GMT

Le 8/8/00, =E0 3:52:54 PM h, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Buschman) vous a =

=E9crit sur le sujet suivant newbie needs a linux god to grace his lowly=
=20
telnet problem.:

> I really don't know why telnet is not working.  Everything I have
> looked at seems to be configured properly.  My inetd entries look like=

> this:

> ftp   stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftp -l -a
> telnet        stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd =20
in.telnetd
> pop-3 stream  tcp     nowait  uucp    /usr/sbin/tcpd  ipop3d

> If you telnet from an outside machine it is able to resolve the name,
> but you get a blank screen and after 5-10 seconds windows says "the
> connection to host lost".  The machine is a new install and I have
> installed most services, modules and deamons.  Or so I think.
> Sendmail and all e-mail services are working fine.  Telnet, Ftp, and
> Pop-3 are not working.  I want to concentrate on telnet first.  Once I=

> figure that one out I have a feel the other two will follow suit.  Do
> any linux gods out there have an idea???  Thanks in advance.

> Buschman

Have you by any chance looked at the files /etc/hosts.allow &=20
hosts.deny?
They may be of help (man hosts.allow).

--
Loic Jouanique
Why using windows when God coaxes you into breaking them ??? Use the=20

------------------------------

From: "Alessio Spadaro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Promise ultra66
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:14:35 +0100

I did it with the Gentus3.0 distro (www.gentus.com) but i'm using an ABit MB
the distro is built for... maybe you can take a look...
Stefaan Morbee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8mocfh$q3b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if anyone could help me on this.
> I have a fair knowledge of linux but now I have put my
> hard disks on a Promise ultra66 controller, and when I want
> to install linux (redhat 6.2) it doesn't recognize the controller.
> Is it possible to make a setup disk for redhat 6.2 so it will
> also look for the promise controller, so I don't have to witch cables
> again ?
>
> thx

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How can I change shell?
From: Manfred Bartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:15:23 GMT

Patrick Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I am using Caldera 2.3 w/ kernel 2.2.16.  Just wondering how I can
> change my environment from bash to tcsh in Caldera (or linux in
> general)?

man chsh
man passwd

See also:

UNIX shell differences and how to change your shell:
        <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/shell-differences/>

Csh Programming Considered Harmful:
        <http://www.faqs.org/faqs/unix-faq/shell/csh-whynot/>

--
Manfred Bartz

------------------------------

From: bunny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce2 GTS
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:45:27 +0100

catastrophe526 wrote:

> I know that it is not yet supported in XFree86 4.0.

there might not be a driver provided for it in the XFree86 4.0 distribution
but there certainly are working drivers for gf2 gts with XFree86 4.0 and 4.0.1
available from nvidias website.

------------------------------

From: "Paulo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: bind question ...
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:39:09 +0100

Hi !

I've a master domain server, that server the domain "fun.pt" and a friend of
mine like the idea of having the subdomain 4.fun.pt , but i just dont want
to worry with the subdomain nameservers, so we'll have to find his own
nameservers and deal with it ... :)
How can i do it ?

I'm using linux with bind 8.2.2P5

Thank you in advance
Note : the doman names presented are fake, to protect the inocents :)

Paulo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 10 Aug 2000 09:59:18 GMT

>> 1. You'll sit tilted to the right. That's from the thickness of all that
>> extra money in the wallet in your left hip pocket.
>> 2. You won't be sending an Intel unique CPU identifier to anyone who has
>> the hack and asks for it.
>> 3. You'll just have to put up with the extra speed. Poor you.
>>
>SuSE 6.4 have default K6-3DNow optimisation as well.

Do they? Never seen it myself. I wonder how you get 3dnow optimisations in
an i386 rpm...

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest