Linux-Setup Digest #366, Volume #21               Mon, 4 Jun 01 01:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Newbie with a question (Bit Twister)
  Re: Urgent: scrwed up glibc library. now nothing worked. (Michael Meissner)
  Re: slooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! ("Liverpool_fc")
  Re: Apache question (Lamar Thomas)
  [Newbie] Ximian Gnome/Nautilus Install Problem ("Jon A. Bell")
  remote serial port on win98 client. ("Liverpool_fc")
  Re: Newbie with a question (Wes newell)
  Re: Can't fix resolver (Mike Diehl)
  Re: How restore Gnome as default desktop? (Murray Eisenberg)
  Root Print Problem in Slackware7.1 (Edwin Johnson)
  Re: How restore Gnome as default desktop? (David)
  Re: Permission denied ("Stephen Kirby")
  backup with tar and  ftp ("Stephen Kirby")
  accounting dies after upgrading to redhat 7.1 (Farid Hamjavar)
  Re: Root File System Corruption ("Robert Morelli")
  Re: Root File System Corruption ("Robert Morelli")
  Re: get me started (Kris Stark)
  boot problem with Mandrake 8.0 (Eric Lauritzen)
  Re: staroffice install problem reprised (Kris Stark)
  Re: Apache question (Lamar Thomas)
  Re: Mandrake 8.0 install CD error (Kris Stark)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: Newbie with a question
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 02:24:50 GMT

I would suggest Mandrake 8.0.
Chop out about a 2 gig partition.
Load cd and read docs with win98.
Select expert install, pick all icons to load.
Then click each package and see if you want to load it also.
Do not load ipchains firewall, it was replaced with iptables firewall.

That 166 sounds like the bios will not support booting beyond the
1024 cylinder. Pick booting from a floppy until you feel you
you know what you want to do with the disk layout.
Emailed you a picture of the disk layout if you want dual boot
from the mbr.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Urgent: scrwed up glibc library. now nothing worked.
From: Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 03 Jun 2001 22:32:43 -0400

"david yuan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I stupidly applied glibc.2.2.1-3.2.4.rpm to my RH6.1 using (force and
> no-dependency checking). i thought i might resolve the problem a bad glibc
> version for java(1.3).
>
> Now seems every command failed:
>
> FATAL: kernel too old.
>
> How do I have the original glibc back? I really do not want to re-install
> from scratch since the machine is a gateway which has dhcpd, named, firewall
> etc and I cannot copy their config files to other places. I cannot use RPM
> and TAR commands any more because above FATA problem either. basically no
> shell commands work except "ls".
>
> Please someone helps me to bring old glibc back.

Note, I'm in the GCC group, not the Linux group, so I don't speak for Red Hat
in this case....

I haven't used 6.1 in awhile, but you should be able to go into rescue mode (go
and start the install, and type rescue at the lilo prompt).  You might want to
read the docs for rescue mode, because the ins and outs have changed over the
years.  This will give you a bash, running out of a memory filesystem.  Mount
your root filesystem, and mount your install CD.  Then do a rpm -Uvh --force
--nodeps --root=<...> of the glibc rpm (and presumably glibc-devel rpm as well)
from your install media.

Another way to solve the problem is to move the disk from your gateway to
another system, possibly making it a slave ide disk, or changing the scsi ids
so there is no conflict, and then doing the install from there.

If you have a partition on your system that is either spare or you are willing
to trash it, you could also install a minimal system on that partition, and use
that to replace the glibc.

Obviously in the future, consider making backups of your config files, and
such, in case your disk dies or some other such disaster occurs.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]           phone: +1 978-486-9304

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: slooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:06:46 -0400

thanks again guys.
top shows both swap and mem being seen and enabled.
actually no swap is being used and half of ram is.
i will know for sure tomorrow what hapenning.

i will disable sendmail,pcmcia and named using ntsysv.

i will respond with the results.

------------------------------

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.networking.general,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Apache question
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:00:12 GMT

J Sloan wrote:

> Lamar Thomas wrote:
>
> > I am running RH 7.1 and I have FTP and Apache web servers working.
> > However, after rebooting my Linux box no one can connect to my Apache
> > web server until I issue the following command:  # "service httpd
> > restart".
>
> In my experience with Linux, reboots are for hardware
> upgrades, so we're talking about a once in a blue
> moon thing here to start with -
>
> > Anyone know how I can make Apache auto start after a reboot?  Thanks for
> > any and all help.
>
> Any of the elementary Linux runlevel editors will do.
>
> ntsysv, tksysv, or even the command-line
> utility, "chkconfig", e.g. "chkconfig --list httpd"
>
> cu
>
> jjs

Thanks for the reply,

But what did you mean by "Any of the elementary Linux runlevel editors will
do.  ntsysv, tksysv, or even the command-line utility, chkconfig, e.g.
chkconfig --list httpd"?  What am I supposed to do with all of that?  Sorry,
I am new to Linux.

The reason I have to reboot is that I run one system at home that has a pull
out drive.  Most of the time I run Windows 2000.  But as I am comming up to
speed on Linux I have to put my Linux drive in.  When I do, Apache is not
running until I run the # "service httpd restart" command.  Thanks again for
any help.

Lamar

------------------------------

From: "Jon A. Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Newbie] Ximian Gnome/Nautilus Install Problem
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 20:06:25 -0700

Folks,

I'm trying to install a copy of the Ximian Gnome package on Red Hat 7.0.
When I try to run the installer, I get the message: "Error: Unable to
resolve the DEPS server. Please ensure that your network connection is
working properly."

This is on my second home computer, which is on a 2-PC network, but I have
no idea if my network is set up correctly (I'm basically just playing around
with Linux, trying to learn it; I don't really need this PC to connect to my
other system.) Why does Ximian require that I my network stuff configured
properly before it installs? What if you're simply running a standalone
system?

Thanks for any help you can give me,

-- Jon

------------------------------

From: "Liverpool_fc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: remote serial port on win98 client.
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 23:13:29 -0400

hello,

i have a win98 client telneting to a rh6.2 box.
i am using anzio as the emulator. www.anzio.com

anzio only allows one device which i am using for the remote printer.

how do i access the remote serial port on the win98 machine from the rh6.2
machine?

i know ttyS0 and ttyS1 are usually the serial ports on the linux box. but
since the serial port on the remote machine is not a device. how do i send a
signal to it?

thank you.

------------------------------

From: Wes newell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:10:10 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello.  I hope I am in the right group for my question and I certainly am
> not trying to test anyone's patience.
>
> I am a Windows "vet" ( since about 1993 ) but have done a lot of extensive
> reading on Linux and it's dominance on the web, ect.  This is something I
> really would like to learn because I intend to broaden my horizons with
> programming, ect.
>
> 1.  As an individual who does not know the first thing about Linux, which
> version would you recommend (preferably free ) to be installed on a 166mhz
> pentium with 2 hard drives ( a 2.0 and a 6.0 )that I would like to
> configure to be a "dual boot" system.  I am currently running Windows 98
> second Edition.
>
> 2.  Does anyone know of any outstanding links on the net geared towards
> Linux and the newbie ?

www.linux.org is were I started. And I just Installed Mandrake 8.0 without
many problems. Although I couldn't get it to see my old SB16csp card.
Installed a SB Live card and itworked fine. You can download it from several
places. Start at www.linux-mandrake.com. You'll need to burn 2 CD's.

> 3.  I keep hearing horror stories of system crashes.  How much risk of
> crashing a system during an install is there and can it permanately damage
> the system ?

Not permanent, but I almost couldn't get it to reboot once when I stopped it
during install of something. Haven't tried to get to my OS/2 partitions yet
though.

------------------------------

From: Mike Diehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't fix resolver
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 21:25:18 -0600

==============1DFDD77995CD984F47170D7A

Yes on both questions.

Before I started to try to fix this, I flushed all of the ipchains rules with
ipchains -F.  The default policy is accept.  I think I can eliminate the
firewall as the problem.

I've turned off the local DNS and the /etc/resolve.conf has the ip address of
my ISP's DNS server.  I think I can eliminate bind as the problem.

The IP address for my ISP's DNS is correct; it's the same one that my windoze
machine gets when it connects to the Internet.

Any other ideas?

Thanx,
Mike Diehl.

Dave Uhring wrote:

> Mike Diehl wrote:
> >
> > Hi all.
> >
> > I have a linux box and a new DSL link.  I am able to ping internet hosts
> > by IP address.  I can ping them if I have an entry for them in
> > /etc/hosts.
> > I have turned off my local DNS server for now.
> >
> > However, I can't resolve names.  I've tried ping, nslookup and dig.
> >
> > The queries are getting out to the server; and replies are coming back,
> > according to tcpdump.  But dig reports that the connection timed out.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated.
> > Mike Diehl.
>
> Did you edit /etc/resolv.conf and insert your ISP's nameservers?
>
> Question is asked because you did not say that you did this.
>
> Does /etc/nsswitch.conf have the line
>
> hosts:     files  dns

==============1DFDD77995CD984F47170D7A

begin:vcard
n:Diehl;Mike
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
fn:Mike Diehl
end:vcard

From: Murray Eisenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How restore Gnome as default desktop?
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:35:46 GMT

I did that.  It just doesn't work -- as I think I indicated!

--
Murray Eisenberg                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edwin Johnson)
Subject: Root Print Problem in Slackware7.1
Date: 4 Jun 2001 03:36:35 GMT

Root Print Problem in Slackware7.1

I've combed throught the docs and How-tos and do not understand what is
going on. All users can print correctly using lpr, apsfilter, etc. Root can
send to the printer, such as 'cat filename > /dev/lp0' fine, but cannot use
lpr. I'm getting an email when trying to print the file minicom.log with the
following error:

Your printer job (minicom.log)
was not printed because it was not linked to the original file

It doesn't seem to make any difference where the file is located since I've
tried to print from a directory with permissions for everyone.

The reason this is important is that I'm running dosemu and it runs suid
root, which means that it will not print for the same reason root cannot
print.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks...Edwin

~   Edwin Johnson ....... [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ~
~        http://www.shreve.net/~elj       ~
~                                         ~
~ "Once you have flown, you will walk the ~
~ earth with your eyes turned skyward,    ~
~ for there you have been, there you long ~
~ to return." -- da Vinci                 ~

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 03:45:08 GMT

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> I did that.  It just doesn't work -- as I think I indicated!
>
> Jason Lott wrote:

 vi /etc/sysconfig/desktop
One word is all that is needed.

GNOME

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.230% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Kirby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Permission denied
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:02:40 +1000

"Dave Uhring" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stephen Kirby wrote:
>
> > I am stuck on a problem with access permissions.  The file access
> > permissions on files and directories seem to be correct.  I log in as
root
> > OK but if I try to
> > change to another user I get permission denied.
> >
> > What else is controlling the permissions if it is not the file and
> > directory permissions?
> > Have I inadvertantly changed a config file somewhere?
> >
> > eg
> > su  auser
> > I get
> > permission denied /bin/bash
> >
> > I have tried
> > su nobody
> > and get
> > permission denied /bin/sh
> >
> >  ls -l /
> >  shows
> >  drwxr-xr-x  root  root .... bin
> >
> >  ls -l /bin/sh
> >  shows
> >  rwxr-xr-x  root  root ..... sh
> >
> >  ls -l /bin/bash
> >  shows
> >  rwxr-xr-x root root ..... bash
> >

> What do you get with "ls -l /bin/su"?  It should look like
>
> -rwsr-xr-x    1 root     root        14112 Jan 16 08:49 /bin/su

When I did "ls -l /bin/su" I obtained the same result as above

When I try:
strace -eopen su nobody

The trace gives the following errors
open("/etc/ld.so.preload") O_RDONLY = -1 no such file or directory
open("/dev/null   = -1 not a directory
open("/user/run/utmp") O_RDWR = -1 Permission Denied
SIGCHLD (child exited)
open("/root/.xauth/export") No such file or directory
SIGCHLD (child exited)
su: cannot run /bin/sh : Permission Denied
open("/root/.xauth/export O_RDONLY -1 No such file or directory

Also if I try to login as any user except root I cannot
I get no shell: Permission denied.

------------------------------

From: "Stephen Kirby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: backup with tar and  ftp
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:26:13 +1000

Here is a post I home someone will find usefull.

It is a little script I use to backup my redhat  linux box to my PC running
Win2000 ftp.
the script runs on the redhat linux box and backups /etc /home/www /var
folders to a tar file in my home directory then i ftp the file to my other
pc

Note! All the name beginning with my just replace with names relevant to
your environment.

For the ftp to login automatically I had to have a .netrc file in my home
directory
the .netrc file contains
machine     MyOtherPC
login           mylogin
password   mypassword

The batch file contains:
===================================
#!/bin/sh
#
# tar with compression
#
tar -Z -cvvf /home/myhome/backup.tar /etc /home/www /var
echo Backup Completed
echo -------------------------------
#echo Check backup if required
#tar -Z -tf /home/myhome/backup.tar

COLLECTOR="MyOtherPC";
#
ftp $COLLECTOR << $EOF > /dev/null
#
#
lcd /home/myhome
binary
put backup.tar
quit

$EOF
exit

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Farid Hamjavar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: accounting dies after upgrading to redhat 7.1
Date: 3 Jun 2001 22:17:47 -0600

redhat 7.1 on ibm netfinity smp

hello,

we recently upgraded one system  from redhat 6.2 to redhat 7.1
2.4.2-2 #17 SMP Sun Jun 3 00:51:40 EDT 2001 i686 unknown

accounting (i.e. /sbin/accton) dies  instantly after it is
started :

/sbin/accton /var/log/pacct

Then things are normal and records gets appended to /var/log/pacct
but after about 20 or 30 seconds  /var/log/pacct stops growing all
together.

This started after upgrade.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Farid

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Root File System Corruption
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:38:32 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dave Uhring"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Morelli wrote:
>
>> A couple of days ago my Red Hat 7.1 system froze up.  Neither
>> Ctrl-Alt-Backspace nor Ctrl-Alt-Delete had any effect,  so I had to do
>> a hard reboot.  The system stopped on the next boot with an error
>> message about inconsistencies in the root file system.  (The root
>> partition inludes everything except /usr.) I ran fsck,  which fixed
>> some errors and put something in lost+found.
>> After that the system started booting again.  Some things are a little
>> flakey,  but I don't have any reason to believe that's a result of the
>> disk problem.  Every Linux system I've ever used has been flakey and
>> somewhat unreliable.  What I'm worried about here is the possibility of
>> something more serious.  My question is,  can I trust this system
>> anymore?  Is it likely that there are still damaged files on the root
>> partition that could cause a serious problem at some point?  For
>> instance, is it likely that whatever was put in lost+found is part of
>> an important file that is now damaged?
>> Thanks
>>
> If every Linux system you have ever used has been flakey, then you have
> had flakey hardware.  Check your memory with memtest86 - find it at

I don't think that's the whole answer.  I've installed 7 different
distributions on 6 different PC's.  I'd love to find the right
combination that has no flakeyness,  but I don't think it exists.
I've run Caldera OpenLinux 4.2,  Red Hat 6.2,  and Red Hat 7.1
on this machine on different partitions.  They're all slightly flakey
in their own ways.

There may be some misunderstanding about the meaning of terms
like "flakey" and "reliable" in the Linux community.  When I use the
term "flakey,"  I don't mean that the kernel crashes frequently.
In fact,  it rarely does.  I mean things like applications crashing for no
obvious reason,  warning dialog boxes poping up with nonsense
strings of characters,  fdisk reporting no space left on a drive that
has 15 GB unformatted space,  etc.

The system I'm referring to is only about 2 months old.  I insisted that
the vendor test the system with Linux to make sure every component
is fully compatible.  I had an electrician make sure the power in the
house was clean.  Then I installed the system on a $150 UPS
as well.  If my hardware is still flakey,  I don't really know what
else I can do to deal with it.

> google. Open up your case and clean your heat sink/fan assembly.  Clean
> out all the ducts where the lint and crud have accumulated.  Re-install
> the system using reiserfs or SGI's XFS.  Or learn how to implement and
> use the Alt-SysRq key combinations to shut the system down when
> everything else seems to freeze up.  Read
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt.  In fact print it out and have
> it handy the next time you need it.
> You can find the XFS ISO at
> ftp://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/download/Release-1.0/iso  You will also
> need the 2 RedHat-7.1 CD's with this.  You can install Mandrake-8.0 or
> Suse-7.1 using the reiserfs option.

Are reiserfs and XFS really mature enough to be more reliable than
ext2 right now?  I thought those systems were barely out of beta testing.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Morelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 10:40:20 -0600

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Peter T. Breuer"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Morelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> is it likely that whatever was put in lost+found is part of an
>> important file that is now damaged?
> Have a look, and you may well find out.  Peter

I looked.  Looks like binary trash to me.  I'd be happier
if it were a paragraph of a readme.  I really don't know
where it might have come from.

------------------------------

From: Kris Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: get me started
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 00:40:52 -0400

Darren wrote:

> How do I set up my ports in Mandrake 7.2?

Hmm..  How indeed...  I don't know what ports, on what machine etc.  I
believe you'll get a better response here if you specify some more
information about what you are trying to do...

Kris
--
Kris Stark -- Remove NO-SPAM from address to reply...

------------------------------

From: Eric Lauritzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: boot problem with Mandrake 8.0
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 04:53:30 GMT

Just to install mandrake 8 I had to find one of the alternate
CDimages that would work - just booting from the CD or the other
floppy images resulted in a hang shortly after the initial welcome
screen where you press F1 or Enter - no matter what option I tried
everything locked up.  But that's not the problem I'm asking about, I
just think it's a clue.

Now that I've installed Mandrake 8 I still can't boot properly unless
I use my RedHat7 boot disk.  I do not have RedHat7 anywhere on my
computer.  The Mandrake boot disks, grub, and lilo all fail no matter
which option I choose.  I get a kernal panic: cpu context corrupt,
preceeded by machine check exception or something of the sort.

CPU 0: Machine Check Exception: 000000000004
Bank 0: f20000000a01
Bank 3: b20000000a01
Kernal panic: CPU context corrupt

When I do boot into Mandrake using the RH7 boot disk I can only get
the 2.2.16-22 kernal - and that kernal seems to suck.

After my first install of mandrake I wiped everything and did a fdisk
/mbr before reinstalling.  Same problem after reinstall.

I suspect that this boot problem combined with the old kernal has
something to do with the fact I can't mount any drives and vfat isn't
supported.  I see a lot of [Failed]s when I boot - most of them
having to do with vfat not being supported and USB fails too.

I tried compiling a new kernal and choosing that in grub but I get
the same problem.

What is on the Red Hat boot disk that might be different from what
the mandrake uses either on the mandrake boot floppy or when booting
normally thru lilo or grub?  Is there something I can just edit or replace
on the machine to fix this?  I never had this problem with RedHat7 which
I'd go back to but I just spent $80 on the best pre-configured, user
friendly distribution for newbies like me that money can buy.

Thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: Kris Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: staroffice install problem reprised
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 01:00:34 -0400

bill davidsen wrote:

> I downloaded SO 6.0 (or 6.1?) and it repeatedly says that the system is
> not Java capable or enabled, or some such. Since there is Java in the
> kernel, the browser, and the JDK, any idea where it looks before
> deciding? I looked on their site for a JRE but they seem to assume that
> you have guessed what it wants.

StarOffice 6???  Never heard of such a beast...  Are you referring to
OpenOffice.org?  At least I cannot find any reference to a StarOffice
greater then 5.2 on the Sun website...

Kris

From: Lamar Thomas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 05:04:13 GMT

Lamar Thomas wrote:

> J Sloan wrote:
>
> > Lamar Thomas wrote:
> >
> > > I am running RH 7.1 and I have FTP and Apache web servers working.
> > > However, after rebooting my Linux box no one can connect to my Apache
> > > web server until I issue the following command:  # "service httpd
> > > restart".
> >
> > In my experience with Linux, reboots are for hardware
> > upgrades, so we're talking about a once in a blue
> > moon thing here to start with -
> >
> > > Anyone know how I can make Apache auto start after a reboot?  Thanks for
> > > any and all help.
> >
> > Any of the elementary Linux runlevel editors will do.
> >
> > ntsysv, tksysv, or even the command-line
> > utility, "chkconfig", e.g. "chkconfig --list httpd"
> >
> > cu
> >
> > jjs
>
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> But what did you mean by "Any of the elementary Linux runlevel editors will
> do.  ntsysv, tksysv, or even the command-line utility, chkconfig, e.g.
> chkconfig --list httpd"?  What am I supposed to do with all of that?  Sorry,
> I am new to Linux.
>
> The reason I have to reboot is that I run one system at home that has a pull
> out drive.  Most of the time I run Windows 2000.  But as I am comming up to
> speed on Linux I have to put my Linux drive in.  When I do, Apache is not
> running until I run the # "service httpd restart" command.  Thanks again for
> any help.
>
> Lamar

I got it working!  Thanks J Sloan.

------------------------------

From: Kris Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mandrake 8.0 install CD error
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 01:03:50 -0400

Robert A Munro wrote:

> I've run into a brick wall trying to install Mandrake 8.0
> from CD.  The CD boots fine and enters install Stage 2,
> then says "VERSION file not found" and starts the graphical
> installation.  After selecting disk mount points, it says
> "an error occurred basesystem package missing" and returns
> to the filesystem setup screen.

How did you create the CD?  Or is this a pre-purchased disk?  It sounds
like it was not made from an ISO image, and what has happened is that (due
to Windows weird way of doing things) it has capitalized the first letter
of each file name.

I've seen this before...  Can you get to a point where you have a second VT
available with a shell?

Kris

--
Kris Stark -- Remove NO-SPAM from address to reply...

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest