From: "Rob Sykes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: will my kit work with linux?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:58:36 +0100

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:lrtk5.22655$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Hi all,
>
> Not being particularly familar with linux, I am unsure of whether Linux
will work on my machine:

> -Dual pro Gigabyte motherboard with onboard ultra wide fast scsi, ide and
dual celeron 433 processors (which work fine with nt and w2k)
> -40GB ide drive and 18GB ide drive
> -yamaha scsi cdrw (6x4x16), scsi exabyte dat drive
> -ide pioneer dvdrom (10x), ide oem cdrom (50x)
> -tnt2-m64 32mb agp video card
> -64bit pci soundcard from dell
> -diamond multimedia pci v90 modem

This modem won't work under Linux (i know, I got one) - most pci modems
don't. I'm going to buy myself a nice external one for my birthday :-)

see
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

for all the gory details

--
Rob Sykes

Remove NOSPAM to e-mail

(Otherwise, the general setup makes me bleed with envy)

> -3com pci network card
> -USB connectix webcam
> -parallel port scanner by umax and HP deskjet 890+ printer
>
> I would prefer to use the 18GB drive entirely for Linux (assuming it'll
work on my machine) and the other 40GB for my "bread-n-butter" OS work.

------------------------------

From: "Ingemar Lundin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Video Card
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:31:08 GMT

the ver of X with RH 6.0 doesnt support riva tnt 2  cards
get the latest X in http://www.xfree86.org

/IL

"Paul Lew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Ken White wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone sucessfully used this video card (with an LG 775N 17" colour
> >> monitor) with Linux (Redhat 6.0?)?  If so can they please let me know
what
> >> settings they used, as I am having a lot of difficulty in configuring
> >> Xfree86 to use it.
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ken White
> >
> >Ken,
> >    I don't know what version of XFree86 comes with Redhat 6.0, but
version
> >4.0 of XFree86 has the drivers for the NVIDIA chips included.  On my
S.u.S.E.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: apache problem updated
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:39:36 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:03:25 -0400, Nipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Alright. Yesterday I set up apache as an inetd server on port 8080, and we
>were able to connect to it fine and get the web page and all that jazz.
>Today nada. We're running through all the config files again, and we've
>changed the server back to stand alone, but still no dice. Weird thing is,
>we can start and stop httpd and inetd fine, but whenever we try to connect
>to the server it says can't connect to remote host. Even from the server
>itself (by connecting through lynx to localhost). Any ideas? Thanks in
>advance for any advice.
>
>When trying to stop the http server the stop command "fails" and claims that
>the port is open or already in use, but it doesn't seem to be.  If we flat
>out kill the http process and then start up the http again, it works.  If
>you try to turn it off after the kill it works, but only once.  Also, when
>started, it is spawning the default number of http services (10 I think) but
>won't connect using http://www.localhost/, http://127.0.0.1, or using it's
>internal network ip!!!  HELPPPP!!!!

Did you comment out the line in /etc/inetd.conf that was starting it from
there?  Maybe you are trying to run it both standalone AND from inetd.
Also it is just http://localhost/ (or 127.0.0.1) unless you added
www.localhost as an alia to localhost in your /etc/hosts.

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Hurley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo/hard drive
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:46:21 +1000

Try Ranish Partition Manager - do a web search for it.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Hurley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MaxBlast/LILO conflict in 20 GB Disk
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 20:49:41 +1000

Really try to get a bios upgrade, so it can see the 20G without easy drive.
It is really worth it. I have a 20G IBM and getting a bios upgrade made
things much easier.

news:dEnk5.468$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Hampf)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.2.16 not working with ATAPI IDE CDRoms
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:52:31 +0300

Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> hélt ŝessu fram:
:
: Hi all,
:       After getting Linux 2.2.16 compiled and running, I've detected that
: the  driver for ATAPI CDROM drives isn't working properly. Actually,
: it's doing really bad.
[...]
:       How anybody experience this problem? Do you know of a solution? Any
: patch for the driver?
:       Thanks in advance!

I have had this problem with two drives.  Have you tried another one?
\vague{I read something about these drives having implemented the
standard in a different way or something like that.  This was said to
be a known issue and that there was a fix on the way.}  Anyway you are
not alone.

rh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: linux 6.1 hdd problem
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:53:53 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 18:30:08 GMT, rithaliya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My redhat Linux does not support hard disk of more then 8 Gb. If required
>to use more than 8 GB what will be the process for it.
>Thanking you.

Until you can get a LILO that supports large drives, simply put a primary
/boot partition somewhere below the 1024 cyl point.  Typically this
partition would be about 16MB, which is 1 cyl on a translated drive larger
than 8 GB.  LILO can either go on that partition (preferred if /boot is on
hda) or MBR.  The rest of Linux can go anywhere (even in a Windows
extended partition shared with FAT32 logical partitions).

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin)
Subject: Proxy/Firewall
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:18:48 GMT

Hi, am new to linux but am running Mandrake 7.1 with webmin and ssh. I
have a cable modem connection and  noticed that Squid is also
installed. Was wondering how hard is it to setup a proxy using IP masq
or squid - actually whats the difference??once setup however, will the
proxy work better than most win-based proxies (wingate/sygate)? For
instance, will i have to configure icq/netscape and will it be the
case that if some software dont support proxy, will it still work??
Any help on setting this up and/or suggestions will be greatly
appreciated....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: nameserver, server slow when disconnected
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:32:04 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>we have a configuring problem with a suse 6.3 libox, wich is the
>internet-gateway and firewal for a small lan, permanent internet access.
>It also is the nameserver and mailserver for our domain, secondlevel
>domain with fixed official ip.
>it shows up that all access to the server is very slow when it has no
>access to the internet. during setup there was a similar problem, a
>consultant said something about name resolution by root dns server and
>reverse resolution. the prob disappeared when our domain finally was
>registered with the denic.
>i do not understand why a server has to do dns lookups and reverse
>lookups to perform simple local tasks, also i don't know exactly what
>reverse resolution is, how it is implemented and configured.

Linux wants a hostname (or second opinion) for any IP connecting to it
(for security reasons) even if that name is fictional and provided by
Linux itself (/etc/hosts or local DNS).

If you don't know what reverse lookup is, maybe you should read the
DNS_HOWTO and get that working locally.  My LAN DNS is fully functional
for forward and reverse lookup of local boxes whether I am online or
offline (since I only connect with ppp when necessary).

>isn't it possible to configure the nameserver in a way that he
>- does everything local that can be done local,
>- works in the same manner as a isolated server when being isolated from
>the internet,
>- is capable serving all functions when conected to the web?

Generally it should be able to work on its own for zones it is configured
for, but I am not sure what it does about secondary functions when it
cannot connect to the master.  If that is a problem, you could always set
up a different configuration file to use for standalone operation if
offline for an extended period.

>can a caching nameserver help anything, can we configured it additional
>to the other?

If you have DNS, you already have a caching nameserver.  It is just that a
plain caching nameserver is not set as an authority for any other zones.
A caching nameserver would not do you any good at all if you are not
connected and the cache has expired.

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.apps.cdwrite,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Simple question about CD-Writing for Linux
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:44:03 GMT

"Quiney, Philip [HAL02:HH00:EXCH]" wrote:

> Sounds like an IDE CD Writer... You will need to build a kernel with the
> SCSI emulation switched on. Check out the file
> /usr/doc/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO for details.

You shouldn't have to rejumper hardware to fit another O/S.
Anyway, at least in Red Hat 6.2 you don't have to recompile the
kernel.  You have to tell lilo about the drive (put the line
append="hdd=ide-scsi" in lilo.conf, where hdd is the hd interface
on which your CD is attached, then run lilo from the command-line
prompt.)  Also add /sbin/insmode ide-scsi to your rc.local file.
There may be more, I can't remember offhand, and don't have time
to check my logbook.

If it's set up correctly, then you can su to root and do the
command "cdrecord -scanbus", and should see the drive.

Chris

--
[X] Check here to always trust content from Chris
[ ] Check here to always trust e-mail sent using Microsoft software

------------------------------

From: "Juergen Pabel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Squid Problem
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:45:22 +0200

hi everyone,
i've got a 2.2.16 kernel, running squid 2.2.3 stable 4. this box is serving
an
(internal) network with a connection to another linux box which has a dialup
connection. the system (resolv.conf) knows only an internal dns server but
in
squid.conf i configured some isp dns servers...
everything runs fine for a while...but only for a while, then squid has
problems
fullfilling requests, it puts messages like this one in cache.log

idnsCheckQueue: ID 24: giving up after 20 tries and 107.1 seconds

i know that this means that the dns server didn't reply for the queries, but
i have
no clue as to why this happens, the dial up either is still online or causes
a dial
up, so it's not a connection problem (it better be not :-)...the dns server
itself is
also alive, and i've tried others without better results...if i put the dns
server in
resolv.conf i don't have this problem....but i don't want to do that (dialup
related reasons)

as soon as the timeout value "negative_dns_ttl" (squid.conf) has expired a
new request is successful (i think that's what the time range is in which
dns queries seem to be unsuccessfull)

i've also tried other versions of squid (2.2.x and 2.3.x) with (and without)
the dns related pathes (and some others)

i would greatly appreciate any help, i've been banging my head for a few
days now...
jp

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Watermann)
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 11:46:00 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 10.08.00 in article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> [...]
> Has anyone sucessfully used this video card (with an LG 775N 17" colour
> monitor) with Linux (Redhat 6.0?)?  If so can they please let me know

 This is my /etc/X11/XF86Config:

>--------------------------------- schnipp -----------------------------------
# See 'man XF86Config' for info on the format of this file

Section "Files"
   RgbPath    "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
   FontPath   "unix/:-1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
EndSection

Section "Keyboard"
   Protocol        "Standard"
   AutoRepeat      500 5
   LeftAlt         Meta
   RightAlt        Meta
   ScrollLock      Compose
   RightCtl        Control
   XkbKeycodes     "xfree86"
   XkbTypes        "default"
   XkbCompat       "default"
   XkbSymbols      "us(pc102)"
   XkbGeometry     "pc"
   XkbRules        "xfree86"
   XkbModel        "pc102"
   XkbLayout       "de"
EndSection

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "Microsoft"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   BaudRate        1200
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
   Identifier      "My Monitor"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   ModelName       "Unknown"
   HorizSync       31.5-64.3
   VertRefresh     50-90
   Modeline  "1280x1024" 110.00 1280 1328 1512 1712 1024 1025 1028 1054
   Modeline  "1152x864"   92.00 1152 1208 1368 1474 864 865 875 895
   Modeline  "1024x768"   85.00 1024 1032 1152 1360 768 784 787 823
   Modeline  "800x600"    60.75  800  864  928 1088   600  616  621  657 -HSync -VSync
   Modeline  "640x480"    36     640  696  752  832   480  481  484  509 -HSync -VSync
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Generic VGA"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   BoardName       "Unknown"
EndSection

Section "Device"
   Identifier      "Nvidia Corporation|Riva TNT2 Model 64"
   VendorName      "Unknown"
   BoardName       "Unknown"
   VideoRam        32768
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "Accel"
   Device          "Nvidia Corporation|Riva TNT2 Model 64"
   Monitor         "My Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 16
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        16
      Modes        "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   Device          "Nvidia Corporation|Riva TNT2 Model 64"
   Monitor         "My Monitor"
   DefaultColorDepth 16
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        8
      Modes        "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
   EndSubSection
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        16
      Modes        "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "VGA16"
   Device          "Generic VGA"
   Monitor         "My Monitor"
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        4
      Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
      ViewPort     0 0
   EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
   Driver          "VGA2"
   Device          "Generic VGA"
   Monitor         "My Monitor"
   BlankTime       0
   SuspendTime     0
   OffTime         0
   SubSection "Display"
      Depth        1

--
        Matthias

------------------------------

From: alik <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kmail and realtek
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:35:44 +0200

hi, i have some trouble with linux-mandrake 7.1 :

1) i am trying to get kmail run on my linux-mandrake box
   but i have a strange error exit massege :
   "kmail got signal 11"
   is there i should do to make it work ?

2) there seems to some problem with my
   realtek 8029 nic under linux.

   when i just installed linux it worked great but
   recently i enetered the network configuration and
   set the irq to 10. (why i did it don't ask me)

   after that linux has some trouble to bring up
   the eth0 interface and the point is
   i can't change the irq back to nothing
   because the linux DrakConf all the time
   returns it to 10.

  is there some manual option to do it?

------------------------------

From: Ralph Blach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: moving password files from one rh6.2 machine to another rh6.2 machine
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 09:01:49 -0400

I just got a new bigger and faster server and I need to move a lot of
users
to the new machine.  How do I copy the password files from one redhat
machine to the
other.  I know there is more to it than just append the  /etc/passwd
file.

Thanks

Chip
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How can I change shell?
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:59:58 -0500

just type the name of the shell you want

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest