Linux-Setup Digest #450, Volume #19              Tue, 22 Aug 00 12:13:14 EDT

Contents:
  Re: How do I upgrade my glibc (Davide Bianchi)
  Re: CD writer setup question ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Belgian keyboard layout in Suse 6.4 (Geert Haustraete)
  NUMLOCK- The Solution... (Ulrich)
  NUMLOCK- The Solution... (Ulrich)
  NUMLOCK- The Solution... (Ulrich)
  NUMLOCK- The Solution... (Ulrich)
  NUMLOCK- The Solution... (Ulrich)
  Re: No eth0 device on Linux Server (Yidao Cai)
  Re: First drive SCSI - not seen as first drive (James Lothian)
  havin trouble with X and eth1 (Scott Morgan)
  Re: My mouse pointer shows a barcode??? ("Brian Lucas Kaczmarek")
  Can make Linux on Sparc boot from RAID 1? ("^!^ Ka Fai")
  Re: Q: HowTo change from SCSI to IDE boot drive / /var ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to get the CHS-vlues for LBA-mode? ("K. Posern")
  Re: RedHat Annoyance/ide-scsi problems (Villy Kruse)
  Redhat setup ("Siva")
  Re: Mounting CDROMs
  Re: How to get the CHS-vlues for LBA-mode? ("Darko Palic")
  Re: Redhat setup (sylvain hutchison)
  questions regarding IPCHAINS, IP MASQUERADING & SQUID (Hung Ngoc Lai)
  help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp (Arul)
  Re: User Crontab (brian)
  Re: RedHat Annoyance/ide-scsi problems (Giulio Orsero)
  HELP: DNS not working, Firewall problem? (McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant)
  Re: NUMLOCK- The Solution... (Hal Burgiss)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Davide Bianchi)
Subject: Re: How do I upgrade my glibc
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:14:37 GMT

On Fri, 18 Aug 2000 14:40:24 -0400, "James Kimble"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running RH 6.0 and need to upgrade my glibc
>libraries to something more recent for jkd1.2. I've
>never done this before. Anyone willing to walk me
>through it?? Please....

I did the same just a couple of week ago.
Well, DO NOT TRY TO DO IT MANUALLY!!! I did, and was a HUUUGE
mistake...(completely screwed-up installation, sigh!)

The best thing to do is download the RPM binary distribution
from RedHat, and install it. Plain and simple.
Remember to install both the GLIBC, LINUXTHREAD, and the
CRYPT API, are used by the JVM.

BTW, I've installed the IBM 1.3, and it work fine.

Davide

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: CD writer setup question
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:13:43 GMT

> Run cdrecord to see if you scsi emulation is working also.
>
> # cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg
Schilling
> Using libscg version 'schily-0.1'
> scsibus0:
>         0,0,0     0) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 8100 ' '1.0g' Removable
CD-ROM

>         0,1,0     1) *
>         0,2,0     2) *
>         0,3,0     3) *
>         0,4,0     4) *
>         0,5,0     5) *
>         0,6,0     6) *
>         0,7,0     7) *

EJ,

Thanks for taking the time to share that most excellent post.   I gave
up on the IDE burner and ended up buying a new scsi burner (Imation)
which of course isn't properly suppored by cdrecord (burns start, then
bomb with SCSI errors)

>sigh<  Computers...

"Let me vanish into yesterday - let my troubles fade away" - CAN

arnim

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Geert Haustraete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Belgian keyboard layout in Suse 6.4
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:39:41 GMT

Hello,

I recently installed Suse Linux 6.4. During the installation I have
choosen to use the azerty/be1-latin keyboardmap. This gives me an
azerty keyboard but almost all special keys like ù,£,",_,&,<, etc are
standing on a different key or are not accesseble. I've tried with
every other azerty keyboardmap but still the same. I found very little
help in the online databases. As you can understand this is very
difficult typing esp. when you are using programming languages.

Did anybody experienced something similar and more important is there a
solution?

--
Thx.

Geert Haustraete

From: Ulrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NUMLOCK- The Solution...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:47:05 +0200

Hi Folks,
here's an adress where you'll find a little C-program which automatically
activates NUMLOCK when KDE is started...
http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/cg_x11numlock.htm

------------------------------

From: Yidao Cai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No eth0 device on Linux Server
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 09:02:30 -0500

Bob Heck wrote:

> I am trying to set up a Linux server for my home network using RedHat 6.0.
>  My NIC is not working.  Checking dmesg I found that the network interface
> failed because no eth0 device could be found.  My original NIC was a
> NetGear FA310TX.  I swapped this card with a SMC 1211TX from my Windows 98

I just got a FA310TX working on kernel 2.0.36, using the driver on the
disk came with the card. I have yet to try it on newer kernel.

email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: James Lothian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: First drive SCSI - not seen as first drive
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:15:35 +0100

You need to tell Lilo that the bios is set to boot from the scsi drive,
rather than the first IDE drive. In your lilo.conf you need something
like this:
disk=/dev/sda (or whatever)
        bios=0x80 [from memory, wouldn't swear that's right]

If you have a mixed scsi/ide system, Lilo assumes that the bios is set
to boot
from the first IDE disk, unless you specify otherwise in the lilo.conf
file. See
the lilo man page and other documentation for details, or check back on
www.deja.com,
as this crops up pretty frequently.

James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Morgan)
Subject: havin trouble with X and eth1
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 14:17:11 GMT

i have an SiS 6326 AGP card that doesnt seem to like redhat 6.1
when i start it up, it just gives me a black background ... it can
show the redhat logo if i start with XDM, but i only get text fields
if the cursor is active in them, and i only get buttons if i click on
it... AGP2x is disabled, everything else works fine, but i cant for
the life of me, get X to work :'(

i also have an RTL 8029(as) as well as an ne2k(?) isa card  (basically
two ne2k clones, but one is isa and one is PCI)   can i just make a
copy of the module?
i need someone to walk me through this... ICQ 18470844, or jakque51 on
AIM...

anyone?
please?

i will post my cfg's when i reboot to linux... thanks in advance!

------------------------------

From: "Brian Lucas Kaczmarek" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help
Subject: Re: My mouse pointer shows a barcode???
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:28:53 -0400

Thanks! That was the problem.  It's just strange that I didn't have that
problem when I was using a different monitor... I had the settings exactly
the same.  Go figure. :)

news:8nsp44$23q$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 22:45:50 +0800
From: "^!^ Ka Fai" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can make Linux on Sparc boot from RAID 1?

I have read some RAID HOWTO which talk about setting up bootable ROOT
RAID 1. However, all of them said I need to change the partition type
from Linux native to "Linux raid auotdetect". I can't find this
partition type option in my fdisk running on SPARC. I am using Redhat
6.1 SPARC.

^!^ Ka Fai

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Q: HowTo change from SCSI to IDE boot drive / /var
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:01:50 -0500

Anyone have an answer for this one?  Help!

------------------------------

From: "K. Posern" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: How to get the CHS-vlues for LBA-mode?
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:03:56 GMT

Hi.

How do I get the CHS-values for a drive in LBA-mode?

I have the CHS-values printed on the label of the harddisc:
    CHS=16383,16,63

which is the "physical geometry", doesn't it?

But how to get the "logical geometry"?

Greetings,

K. Posern.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: RedHat Annoyance/ide-scsi problems
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:14:05 GMT

On 21 Aug 2000 21:06:05 GMT, K. Bruner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>This probably qualifies as venting, as I realize that I am very
>frustrated and impatient, but so be it.
>
>I have a PC.  Up until last month, I was running RedHat 6.0, relatively
>problem-free.  I had purchased an IDE HP CD-RW 8200 series drive, which,
>with maybe an hour of tinkering, two at the most, I got working under the
>ide-scsi module so I could use cdrecord.  Worked wonderfully.
>
>So, I "upgrade" to RH 6.2, and for the life of me, I cannot get the
>ide-scsi module to give a damn about the drive.  The module loads, but
>just ignores the drive.  I have tried using the same lilo.conf and
>modules.conf as I did before, and have recompiled the kernel with various
>permutations of SCSI stuff as modules or compiled into the kernel, but
>nada.

Is the CD drive detected as an IDE drive?  If so you need to disable
IDECD.

Actualy this ought to be disabled in the redhat standard kernel, as not
doing this makes the scsi emulation code useless.  I would call that a
bug in Redhat's standard kernel configuration, which they realy should
get fixed.  Anyone care to complain to bugzilla?

Villy

------------------------------

From: "Siva" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redhat setup
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 23:19:23 -0700

Hi!

I'm a java developer and I want to setup linux in my computer. I had
installed redhat 6.1 last week. But I'm unable to configure the X.

My card is not supported .

My computer is a Compaq 7500 series with MV720 17 inch monitor. My graphics
card is Intel 810.e chipset driver.

Can anybody guide me how to configure the X.

 Advance thanks for your help.

krips

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting CDROMs
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:29:29 GMT

Andrew Overholt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have spent the last few hours trying in vain to fix my CD drive
> problems.  The good new is that I got my CDRW drive to work with
> IDE-SCSI stuff (from someone else's post here)!
>
> The bad news is that I can't get my other CD drive to mount anymore.
> Following is my fstab file and when I try to mount my CDROM (hdd - a
> Creative 48X), I get an Input/Output error.
>
> /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/hda1 /windows vfat user,exec,conv=binary 0 0
> /dev/hda2 swap swap defaults 0 0
> /dev/hda3 / ext2 defaults 1 1
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto sync,user,noauto,nosuid,nodev,unhide 0 0
> none /proc proc defaults 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
> /dev/hdd /cdrom auto user,nosuid,exec,nodev,ro 0 0
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Andrew

I am not sure if you find the answer .... (this is nothing to do with
fstab)

I am doing the same thing and no problem at all ... if you give more info
I am sure someone can help you ... even me if you give more info of what is
going on ...

Gabor

------------------------------

From: "Darko Palic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: How to get the CHS-vlues for LBA-mode?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:39:14 +0200

Hi,

LBA mapping:

1. LBA Uses 255 heads

2. multiply your CHS-Mapped cylinders with your heads and divide it through
255 heads (16383 * 16 / 255 = 1027,xxx)

3. Your new mapping is 1027/255/63

4. you will lose some MB with the LBA mapping

D. Palic

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: sylvain hutchison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Redhat setup
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 11:44:35 -0700

go to:http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/agreeRPM3.htm

------------------------------

From: Hung Ngoc Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: questions regarding IPCHAINS, IP MASQUERADING & SQUID
Date: 22 Aug 2000 15:32:15 GMT

Hi Everyone,

I am having dilemma and I am wondering if you can help me with
regarding configuring Linux firewall.  Let me apologize if the
post is long; however, I would like to be as specific as possible.

My background comes from NT and have been working on it for 4 yr.
I've done work on Checkpoint Firewall and Microsoft Proxy Server
Version 2.  My opinion is that everything running on Microsoft
Windows is a piece of shit (pardon my language, but it's true.) I
am not an expert on firewall by any means but windows NT has so
many holes in there that my firewall was essentially useless.
Please don't get me wrong, Checkpoint is a very good product;
however, NT is so buggy that it boils down to not having a firewall
at all.

I understand that checkpoint is shipping out with a new version
that will support Linux platform.  However, in the mean time, I am
looking at implementing ipchains and squid on my linux machine.
Here is what understand from my intial research:

Ipchains is simply a packet filtering firewall.  It is similar to
Cisco access-list.  It works at network of the OSI layer.

Ip masquerading is, in another word, a NAT (Network Address
Translation).  This allows your private network  (i.e. 10.0.0.0,
172.16.0.0-172.31.0.0, 192.168.0.0) to access the Internet with
a single valid IP address.

Squid is a proxy server that enables http web-caching proxy
server that conserves the bandwith of your network (i.e.  let
say that userA goes to www.yahoo.com and sometimes later
userB goes to the same site, squid will provide the userB with
information that it caches previously thus saving the bandwith).

Now here is my problem:
Let say that I have a small network with a network ID of
192.168.1.0/24 (private IP address) that consists of win98,
WinNT and Linux machines with the Linux machine having
two NICs.  The first NIC on the linux machine belongs to the
private network with an address of 192.168.1.1.  The second
NIC on the linux machine is connected to the Internet with
a valid IP address of 199.0.216.222.  This linux machines
serves as a gateway to the Internet.  Furthermore, I've
successfully implemented SSH on the linux machine so that
remote users can safely login from the Internet.  I really
love SSH.

>From my win98 and winNT machines, I can ping the address
of the linux machine (i.e. 192.168.1.1) with no problem.  From
the linux machine, I can get to the Internet with no problem
(i.e. http, ftp, telnet).  Here are my questions:

1) I would like to implement IPCHAINS on the linux gateway
machine to prevent unwanted traffic coming into and out of
my private network.  How do I go about doing that?  What
exactly do I have to do?  I've read a lot of books regarding
this topic but they only provide piece-meal answer or they
assume that you are an expert in Linux which I am not.
How do I configure ipchains?  Which directory? Please
provide me with specific instructions on how about doing
this?  Please do not leave out details even when you think
it is not important.   Furthermore, if you have a ipchains
template, I would love to have it.

2) I would like users from win98 and winNT machines to
access the Internet to using services such as   TELNET, FTP
and HTTP services.  For example, let say I am at a front of
a win98 machine in my private network and I would like
to telnet to George Mason University.  So, from the command
prompt, I start telnet mason.gmu.edu.

I understand that I have to implement IP masquerading for
this to work.  Again, how do I go about doing this?  As I
already mentioned above, lot of books provide piece-meal
solutions but it doesn't help me.  Please help me with
specific instructions and please don't leave anything out
even if you think it is not important.

3) Assuming that I have IP masquerading work, do I
really need squid proxy server?  I understand that squid
is a web-caching proxy server?  Does it mean that in order
to utilize squid, I have to configure all the browsers (i.e.
netscape & Internet Explorer) to use squid?  Please help
me on this one.  Does it mean that I have to configure
the browsers to connect to the linux machine that runs
squid?  Please help

I really appreciate everyone help and efforts.  Thanks.
LONG LIVE LINUX.  TRASH WINDOWS.

Sincerely,
David
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Arul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help on uid/gid of /dev/dsp
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:41:00 GMT

 Does anyone know how to setup permissions on sound devices like
/dev/dsp /dev/audio /dev/sequencer

All the permissions of these devices are set to "rw" to
the first user (user) logs in as below...

crw-------   1 user     root      14,   3 Apr 30  1999 dsp
crw-------   1 user     root      14,   1 Apr 30  1999 sequencer

I would like it to be rw for all users so anyone can
use the sound devices... like below

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root      14,   1 Apr 30  1999 sequencer

Cheeers.

From: brian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: User Crontab
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 10:48:44 -0500

Programs in /usr/bin are runable by users.  I think the problem has more
to do with getting a program to start in xwindows.  The error message
that returns to me is as follows:

"Error: can't open display."

So, I think that I need to learn how to write a crontab statement
that starts a program in a display window, at least, those programs
that need xwindows.

How would you write a crontab statement that activates an application
requiring xwindows to run?

59    12    22    8    tue    /usr/bin/acroread

minute    hour    day    month    day-of-week    program

btw, this statement does not work for me.

Learned a nice way to change the editor for the crontab.  Type the command,

export EDITOR=emacs

One can use other editors simply by replacing "emacs" with the next editor.

For example,

export EDITOR=vi

Or,

export EDITOR=cooledit

Using the command crontab -e works better than running an editor, writing
the changes,
saving the file, exiting the program, and then typing at the unix prompt,

crontab [name of user crontab file]

The command "crontab -e" will autmatically activate the edited crontab.

------------------------------

From: Giulio Orsero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 15:47:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So, I "upgrade" to RH 6.2, and for the life of me, I cannot get the
> ide-scsi module to give a damn about the drive.  The module loads, but
> just ignores the drive.  I have tried using the same lilo.conf and
You should check that you used the correct stuff in lilo.
What does dmesg says?
What's your lilo.conf?

> modules.conf as I did before, and have recompiled the kernel with
various
> permutations of SCSI stuff as modules or compiled into the kernel, but
> nada.
I think the standard 62 kernel should be ok, just need to add stuff in
lilo.conf.

If ide-cd was a module you could make it work without touching
lilo.conf.
Next redhat releases will use ide-cd as module, I think.

> the support page to check on the ticket's progress, and it tells me my
> ticket it closed because, "once you have recompiled your kernel there
> isn't much installation support can do."  They also tell me to look
They are right in not supporting a recompiled kernel.
You should re-install their kernel and tell them "I've your standard
kernel installed, please tell me how to make my ide cdrw work"

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: McManus Leo Root DSP Consultant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP: DNS not working, Firewall problem?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 17:48:01 +0200

> SuSE 6.4.

> My wvdial is OK and connects and if I put in an explicit address, E.G.
> 192.112.123.0 then it connects. I have seup my DNS server and my
> resolv.conf file is seems to be OK, but the name resolution doesnot work,
> any help?

I have enabled my firewall, but not set it up could this contribute to the
problem?

Leo

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Burgiss)
Subject: Re: NUMLOCK- The Solution...
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 16:05:08 GMT

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/cg_x11numlock.html

--
Hal B
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest