From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why is my sound card locking up my machine?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 22:24:47 GMT

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001 04:08:48 GMT, in a place far, far away,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my

>Never mind.  I upgraded to 2.4.5, installed the card in the kernel,
>and the problem disappeared.

Hmmm.... spoke too soon again...

The card works, but sometimes after using it, I lose my task bar
(running Gnome Enlightenment).  That is, nothing happens when I click
on it.  I can't change desktops, or launch terminals, etc.  The open
windows still work properly.  Anyone know why a kernel upgrade might
cause this behavior?

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bad format line XX
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:37:23 +1000

This message is in MIME format.

------------------------------

From: karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 08:40:11 +1000

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Denis Leroy)
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 kernel compile problems
Date: 15 Jun 2001 15:47:37 -0700

rrkrr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> I've tried several times to recompile my RedHat 7.1 kernel.  Compile
> completes, but the machine hangs on boot up.  Here are the particulars:
>
> Machine is a AMD K6 400 MHz CPU running on a DFI motherboard (designed
> for K6) with a VIA chipset.
> Running xconfig, I started with one of the default configurations RedHat
> supplies under /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/configs and modified it for the
> appropriate CPU and chipset - left most of the other stuff alone.
>
> Followed the guidelines for compiling and installing the kernel in the
> RedHat 7.1 Customization Guide which I got from their website:
>
> make mrproper
> make xconfig (as above)
> make clean
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules_install
> make install
> edit /etc/lilo.conf to add the new image reference
> run /sbin/lilo
> reboot and select new image
>
> On boot up, the machine hangs right after Super IO probes the parallel
> port and identifies its IRQ.  If I go into the BIOS setup and disable
> the parallel port, the boot will continue until the Welcome to RedHat
> Linux message appears, then hangs.
>
> I have tried this with the gcc 2.96-81 compiler that came with RH 7.1,
> and with the 2.96-85 compiler that I downloaded from RedHat rawhide with
> the same result.  I have even tried the same on an old 133 MHz Pentium
> machine with the same result.
>
> Both machines work okay with the precompiled i386 kernel supplied with
> RedHat 7.1.
>
> I have read stuff about the 2.96 compilers not working on the kernel,
> but there seems to be some debate on this, and I've seen several claims
> of no problems with the kernel and this compiler.
>
> Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?  Also, I've seen recommendations
> that there are advantages to selecting SMP support in the config, even
> when running a single CPU system.  What are the advantages to this?

You should NOT do 'make mrproper', because that removes the config file
(.config) which is really key, many RedHat things depend on all the modules
being compiled and installed, etc.... Fortunately, the default RedHat config
files are kept in the configs subdirectory (/usr/src/linux/configs), so you
should pick the one you want and copy it as /usr/src/linux/.config

Other than that, the steps you did seem correct. Make sure the boot image is
installed in the right place (I don't usually use 'make install', but rather
copy the image by hand). When you run lilo, make sure it doesn't display
an error and prints the default kernel with a '*' next to it.

Hope that helps.
-denis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (michael james obrien)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: rc.local part 2.
Date: 15 Jun 2001 22:48:09 GMT

Liverpool_fc ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: hello,

: i put this line at the bottom of rc.local.
: cp /etc/termcap /home/cpu1/filename
: when i rebooted it did not do the copy.
: this is rh7.0.

: thank you.

Try specifying the full path to "cp"

------------------------------

Subject: Re: New HD Install
From: Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Jun 2001 19:43:28 -0400

Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'd make the new drive the master drive, re-jumper the Windows
> drive as the slave, install Linux on the new drive, and set up
> LILO to boot either OS. If you'd like some hand-holding through
> the process, contact me off-list and I'll help any way I can.

Have you tried this?  I think Windows insists on being on the primary
master drive.

------------------------------

From: David Means <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Red Hat 7.1 Email Problems
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:44:07 -0400

It could be a firewall configuration.  Did you enable the firewall when
you installed it?

David

------------------------------

From: karl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 09:46:00 +1000

unable to cut-and-paste with KRN (buggy)
LABEL=/                 /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              iso9660 noauto,owner,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner    0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
/dev/hdc5               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc1               /usr                    ext2    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda2               /archive                ext2    defaults        0 0

are you an Aussie?

------------------------------

From: Dan Yocom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RPM 4 upgrade Problem :(
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:56:23 -0400

Hi,
  Several moths ago, I upgraded to RPM 4.?? from the version that comes
with Redhat 6.2 (3.??). The upgrade seemed to work fine however, when i
install new packages, they install fine but they they are not listed  a rpm
-qa or in kpackage! How do i make my newly installed RPMs listed as
installed? RPM is pointless if i can not uninstall Packages. please help me.

Thanks,
        Dan Yocom

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 2001 19:52:56 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to karl ;

> This message is in MIME format.

Neither of these 'test' posts have anything related to MIME in them
other than your claim.  I suggest you go read Tim Kientzles book on the
subject and then come back when you've learned what MIME is.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, 70MB ram, 31 gigs
                               | Linux @ 500mhz, 320MB ram, 50 gigs
             email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
#Amiga based X10 home automation program EZHome, see at:#
               <http://www.iolinc.net/gene_heskett>
This messages reply content, but not any previously quoted material,
is © 2001 by Gene Heskett, all rights reserved.
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: 2.4 Kernel Upgrade Questions
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:07:59 GMT

I was reading an article that said that before upgrading to 2.4 from
2.2, I should upgrade modutils to at least version 2.4.

Unfortunately, I had already done the upgrade (on a RH6.2 system with
a 2.2.19 kernel) before reading this.  However, I got no complaints.
It might be because I didn't use any modules, but included my network
and sound cards in the kernel build?

Anyway, RH doesn't have anything beyond 2.3 available for my
distribution.  So, is it now, or was it ever, necessary for me to do
the modutil upgrade, and if so, how do I do it from source?  Can
someone point me to a good HOWTO for it?

I should note that I am having one problem with the upgrade.
Sometimes after using a sound device (e.g., CD player), I lose the
capability to use the taskbar in Gnome Enlightenment (i.e., nothing
happens when I push buttons on it, or try to switch desktops, though
the open windows still behave normally).

From: Jeff Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: httpd won't start at boot time
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 19:42:02 -0500

My httpd wasn't coming up at boot time, so I ran the SysV Init Editor and
pulled httpd into the 'runlevel 3 start' window.

When I reboot, I don't see httpd start, and I can't get to my web server.
However, when I run SysV Init Editor, it shows httpd running in runlevel 3.
 If I try to stop the service, it fails (probably because it's not
running), and if I then start it again, eveything is OK, and my server
works fine.

I obviously didn't go about installing httpd into my startup scripts
successfully.

My question is: Can someone give me hint on how to go about installing a
daemon like httpd into my startup scripts?

Thanks,
Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Subject: Re: Redhat Version Question
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 00:47:45 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 01:08:15 +1000, in a place far, far away, Joal
Heagney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

>Rand Simberg wrote:
>>
>> I'm running RH6.2 (I tried 7.0, and it was such a disaster that I blew
>> it off and went back to 6.2).  I've upgraded the kernel (my own build)
>> to 2.2.19, and I've upgraded to the most recent version of RPM (among
>> other things).  What else is different between 6.2 and 7.x that would
>> prevent me from using the RPMs for 7.x?
>
>The glibc version usually bites me on the bum more times than not. If
>you really want a new version of something, you can grab the src.rpms
>and
>rpm --rebuild *.src.rpm
>and then pray that it goes smoothly.

Well, I tried that with modutils-2.4.6, and it seemed to go smoothly
(i.e. no obvious errors).  But when it was done, 'insmod -V' said that
the version was still 2.3.  Is there something else that I'm supposed
to do after the rebuild?  Like actually upgrade?  If so, where did the
rebuild process put the package?  I did a man on rpm and it said that
the --rebuild option should install as well, but it didn't seem to,
even though there were no error messages.  Now what?  Try it manually
per the instructions below?

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:42:49 -0400
From: Pantek Technical Support <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.1: sendmail setup

> My distribution is RedHat 7.1, and I used sendmail 8.9.3 that comes with
> RedHat 6.2. I could send mail to other domains using:
> /usr/lib/sendmail -v [EMAIL PROTECTED] </dev/null
> But I could't configure it to send mail using Outlook Express or Netscape as
> e-mail client on other PC. For example, if I use Outlook Express then I got
> the message somewhat similar to below:
>
> Cannot send mail, SMTP server response: 550 [EMAIL PROTECTED] Relaying
> denied, port: 26, server error 550.
>
> I have add all entries in /etc/sendmail.cw all variations of my domains,
> e.g.
>
> mydomain.com
> smtp.mydomain.com
> pop.mydomain.com
>
> Could anyone tell me what configuration I have done was wrong?

By default, sendmail 8.9.3 has relaying disabled.  This means that unless
you specifically allow an IP address access to send mail through your
server, they will receive the message "Relaying Denied".  This is a good
practice because otherwise anyone can spam through your mail server.

To allow an IP range access, edit the file /etc/mail/access and add the IP
address range that you want to allow access to, for example:

domainname.com          RELAY
-and/or-
192.168.2               RELAY
-and/or-
10.1.                   RELAY

Then, run make in the /etc/mail directory.  This will rebuild your access
database.  You might also have to restart sendmail, by running
/etc/rc.d/init.d/sendmail restart.

Sendmail has great documentation on their website http://www.sendmail.org.

Hope this helps.

Richard Zack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> RHCE
--
Commercial Linux Support and Security Center 24/7 - Pantek
Business class Linux Support and Security Services are

------------------------------

Subject: Problems Printing to Networked Printer
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Old Guy)
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 01:00:20 GMT

I am having a problem printing to a network connected HP
DESKJET 712C printer from RedHat Linux 7.1. The printer
is attached to the network by a EDIMAX Print Sir print
server. I am able to print to the printer from a copy
of RedHat Linux 7.0 running in a different partition
on the same machine. The printers i.p. address is
defined in my /etc/hosts file. The machine has two
ethernet cards. eth0 is the local lan. eth1 is my
DSL connection. I can ping and connect to hosts on the
internet. I can ping the print server. I can get to
the print servers interface from netscape. I can
ping and connect to other hosts on the local lan.
When I try to send print to the network printer I
get the following message from the lpq command.
============
Printer: lp@john53 'hpdj' (dest lpt1@hpdj712c)
 Queue: 1 printable job
 Server: pid 1653 active
 Unspooler: pid 1667 active
14:39:35.105
 Rank   Owner/ID                  Class Job Files                 Size Time
active(attempt-2) root              A   652 /usr/share/printconf/t 193 14:36:21
Printer 'lpt1@hpdj712c' - cannot open connection - Connection timed out
==========
The printcap entry generated by printconf looks like this:
==========

lp|hpdj:\
        :sh:\
        :ml=0:\
        :mx=0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :rm=hpdj712c:\
        :rp=lpt1:\
        :lpd_bounce=true:\
        :if=/usr/share/printconf/mf_wrapper:

==========
The routing table looks like this:
==========

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
net-64-34-211-2 *               255.255.255.252 U     0      0        0 eth1
net-192-168-200 *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         dsl-64-34-211-2 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth1
default         john53.gault.co 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Any assistance anyone can provide in resolving this problem
would be much appreciated

Ed. Lott

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest