Linux-Setup Digest #14, Volume #20               Sat, 11 Nov 00 04:13:05 EST

Contents:
  Re: How to decompress debian package? Pls help (Victor Wagner)
  Re: Create CDs of FTP-Dir (Scott Nolde)
  Re: Is there the command line fdisk? (Scott Nolde)
  Re: AWE 64 pnp (Scott Nolde)
  printer setup problems (Jimbob)
  Re: HELP: Dual OS: Win2000 and Redhat 7.0 (Murray Eisenberg)
  Re: RH 7.0/Win2K Dual Boot Trouble (Murray Eisenberg)
  Need a driver "SIS 6326 AGP" video card (Darwin)
  Newbie question -- easy one (Joe Henley)
  !question! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linuxiso.org: How to create a bootable CD? (Rod Smith)
  Help: Netatalk/Accesing Printer on Linux via Appletalk (Donald Brady)
  Re: help, RH7 missing EATA drivers (Black Dragon)
  Re: Is there the command line fdisk? ("Sanggyu Nam")
  Re: help, RH7 missing EATA drivers (Matthew Haley)
  Re: Is there the command line fdisk? (Vilmos Soti)
  Help with chroot enviroments ("Nick Wagner")
  cleaning up old kernel files ("inon21")
  Re: Create CDs of FTP-Dir (Daniel Reichelt)
  mouse unstable after XF86Setup - how fix?? (Sean Chivers)
  If I switch to Mandrake 7.2, will I take a hit? ("nemo")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor Wagner)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: How to decompress debian package? Pls help
Date: 10 Nov 2000 22:37:40 +0300

In comp.os.linux.misc Alan Po <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: Dear sir

: I have got a ash file but is in debain package (deb extension). I don't
: know how to decompress under Red Hat. Would you give me help? Thanks a
: lot

ar p filename.deb data.tar.gz |tar xzf -

--
How many chunks could checkchunk check if checkchunk could check chunks?
        -- Alan Cox

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create CDs of FTP-Dir
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:26:09 GMT

Daniel Reichelt wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've downloaded the complete 7.0-i386de-DIR from a SuSE-mirror. Now I
> want do create some install-CDs (if possible bootable).
>
> My Problem: I don't know which files/directories to burn on which
> CD-No.
>
> Every help's appreciated!!
>
> Daniel Reichelt

Did you download the .iso files (if any)?  The iso files are the cd
images.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there the command line fdisk?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:30:31 GMT

Sanggyu Nam wrote:

> Is there the command line fdisk that uses command line options to create or
> delete partions?
> My program have to regonize the insertion of MO media and if it's not
> partitioned, make a partition on it and format it.

Yes, it's called fdisk.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
glaze!                       |
10:30pm up 1 day, 14:44, 2 users, load average: 1.00, 1.04, 1.00

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,fa.linux.sound
Subject: Re: AWE 64 pnp
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:30:52 GMT

Ricardo Marques wrote:

> Hey ppl !! I d'like ti know if there is anybody who has a awe 64 pnp working
> in red hat linux, that can explain to me how the miracle has made ?????
> I have tryed sndconfig, recompilatition, alsa etc ... but nothing ...
>
> Can anybody help me PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE

Turn off PnP in the BIOS?

From: Jimbob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printer setup problems
Date: 11 Nov 2000 15:01:31 +1100

How can i set up my printer to print documents, graphics etc?
Currently i am using a generic printer driver and when i try to print a pure text file
like something produced with vi it prints fine but if i print a document i created in
Star Office or the like, i get huge amounts of 'code like' garbage being printed.

Jimbob

*                                                  *
*   "Sudden success in golf is like the sudden     *
*    acquisition of wealth. It is apt to unsettle  *
*    and deteriorate the character"                *
*                                                  *

------------------------------

From: Murray Eisenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: Dual OS: Win2000 and Redhat 7.0
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:03:55 GMT

RedHat docs -- and a number of past posters to this newsgroup -- say you
need to follow the procedures in the Linux + NT Loader mini-HOWTO if you
are using NT (and hence Windows 2000).  This involves putting LILO onto
the Linux / or /boot partition, then using the NT loader after all --
and NOT putting LILO on the MBR.

Is that documentation wrong?  Why?

If it is wrong, then exactly what is it one needs to do to "adjust"
lilo.conf, and are there some parameters to pass to /sbin/lilo when you
run it?

If it is in fact OK to put LILO on the MBR with Windows 2000 on an NTFS
partition first, are there advantages/disadvantages -- in user
interface, performance, anything -- to doing that vs. keeping NT loader?

(I just have not seen any straightforward answers to these questions.)

Also, I thought one needed to be sure that /boot was within the 1024
cylinder limit (i.e., before the first 8.something GB mark).

--
Murray Eisenberg                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.       phone 413 549-1020 (H)

------------------------------

From: Murray Eisenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH 7.0/Win2K Dual Boot Trouble
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:06:58 GMT

Just what do you mean by "use LILO instead" -- replace the NT loader on
the MBR with LILO?  That's not what RedHat says to do!  They refer one
to the Linux + NT Loader mini-HOWTO which is very specific about that
not being the way.

And if you do mean to put LILO on the MBR, are you dead certain that it
will still be possible to start Windows 2000?

From: Darwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need a driver "SIS 6326 AGP" video card
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 20:15:32 -0800

I just got a computer and wiped everything out and reinstalled the
Operating System.
I do not have a driver for the "SIS 6326 AGP" video card and the company
that made it is not on the web. I think they went out of business.
Can anyone point me to a driver for this card?

Please email me if you can help!

Thanks

Darwin

------------------------------

From: Joe Henley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Newbie question -- easy one
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:37:43 GMT

Hi,

I've just gotten RH 6.1 up and going now.  And I installed the new Gnome
from the Helix site.  I'm looking to find a replacement for OS/2 as its
future appears bleak.

Anyway, I have a question for which I cannot find an answer so far.  How
do I change the font size for the text under the icons on the desktop?
It's too damn small!  ... OK, I'm gonna get new glasses soon.  But in
the interim, can someone tell me where to make the changes?  TIA.

Joe Henley

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: !question!
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:38:03 GMT

Hi,

Is there a command that i can execute to log the chnages i make to the
linux system by date and name or email address,.... script...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Linuxiso.org: How to create a bootable CD?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:57:27 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederic Faure) writes:
> Hi,
>
> As I don't have a CD burner, I naively d'loaded the ISO image of RH 7
> from www.linuxiso.org, and used EZ CD Creator to create a bootable CD
> by following instructions at
> http://www.linuxiso.org/ezcdcreator_viewlet.html
> ("Burn an iso image to cd with EZ CD Creator".)

Huh? If you don't have a CD burner, how'd you create the CD? I'm going
to completely ignore the "As I don't have a CD burner" part of your
message from here on.

> Thing is, when prompted for a bootable floppy, I figured it would just
> copy the MBR off of it, so I just picked a Win95 floppy... but it just
> won't boot.
>
> What should I use as bootable floppy?

Nothing. You don't want to burn this image file to disc on its own
ISO-9660 filesystem. You want to tell the CD-R creation software that
you're creating a CD-R from an image file. There should be an option
somewhere to do that -- "create CD-R from image file," "burn ISO image
to CD-R," or similar words. Point the software to the image file, and
it should work. If you do this right, you **WILL NOT** get the option to
set a filesystem type or specify a boot floppy image, because that stuff
is already embedded in the file you've downloaded. With some programs,
you should be able to double-click the file you downloaded and your CD-R
software will launch with the correct options.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

Subject: Help: Netatalk/Accesing Printer on Linux via Appletalk
From: Donald Brady <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.help
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 21:47:05 -0800

I have set up netatalk on my linux box which has a HP Deskjet 590C hanging
off the parallel port. I can mount appletalk volumes (e.g. my home
directory)  on my MacOS9 box and I can create a desktop printer also.
However when I drag a file onto the printer under OS9 I get a "Laserwriter 8
cannot be used because of an internal error -8940". I selected "Generic" for
the ppd on the MacOS side.

Does anybody have a working papd.conf file for a similar setup? Here's what
I have in mine...

deskjet:\
:pr=|/usr/bin/lpr:\

Any help much appreciated.

--
Donald
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Black Dragon)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: help, RH7 missing EATA drivers
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:45:27 GMT

On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:50:04 -0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Anthony Ewell' said:

>Hi,
>
>   Not to answer my own question, but in case anyone
>else gets burnt with this problem, here goes:
>
>   Red Hat 7.0's boot disk only contains a small sample
>of scsi cdrom drivers needed to read your scsi cdrom drive.
>
>   To get access to the rest of the scsi drivers, you
>have to make up your own floppy from an image
>on  CD-ROM #1.  From Linux, you can use the
>following command:
>
>      dd if=/cdrom_mount_point/images/drivers.img of=/dev/fd0 bs=1440k
>
>   The images directory also has a DOS method of making
>the disk as well.
>
>   Editorial comment: Red Hat should include this disk with
>their distribution.

No Red Hat should not. The last thing we or Red Hat needs is people asking
questions related to corrupted floppies. We already get enough about bad cd
images. The subject is well covered in the installation documentation, and
the dos method is using the supplied "rawrite" utility.

--
Black Dragon

Sign The Linux Driver Petition:
http://www.libralinux.com/petition.english.html

------------------------------

From: "Sanggyu Nam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 15:10:52 +0900

I know the fdisk.
I mean the 'command line' is the option.
For example, If I want to make a new partition /dev/hda1 I can write like
this;

some-program -d /dev/hda -t primary -n 1

I want the "some-program" that supports command line otpions to create or
delete partitions.
fdisk's man page has no options like that.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.redhat
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 06:52:48 -0000

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 05:45:27 GMT,
 Black Dragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2000 18:50:04 -0800 in comp.os.linux.setup,
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Anthony Ewell' said:
>>
>>   Editorial comment: Red Hat should include this disk with
>>their distribution.
>
>No Red Hat should not. The last thing we or Red Hat needs is people asking
>questions related to corrupted floppies. We already get enough about bad cd

Strange.. my copy of RedHat 6.1 purchased at Fry's came with a boot floppy.

+ 11:53pm  up  8:04,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.08 +

------------------------------

From: Vilmos Soti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:10:48 GMT

"Sanggyu Nam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

The question was a command line programmable version of fdisk.
> I know the fdisk.

Well, it seems you can do that with fdisk.

> I mean the 'command line' is the option.
> For example, If I want to make a new partition /dev/hda1 I can write like
> this;
>
> some-program -d /dev/hda -t primary -n 1

echo -e 'p\nl' | fdisk

This will first show the partition table, then it will show the
file system types. It will finally exit. If you want an easier way
to see what commands you issue, then try

(echo p; echo l) | fdisk

This is the same command but more readable.

# echo -e 'p\nt\n1\n83\nw' | fdisk /dev/hdb
# echo -e 'p\nt\n1\na6\nw' | fdisk /dev/hdb

The first command will change /dev/hdb1 to 83, Linux. The second will
change it back to OpenBSD. I checked it, and it worked.

Vilmos

------------------------------

From: "Nick Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help with chroot enviroments
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 07:30:21 GMT

I want to jail my ftp users into there own home folders, so I took the tasks
on my self, I was somewhat successful in the process, my only problem now is
that my ls command is showing hidden files. Like if I ftp into my own
account, i see my bash_history file there. The ls that came with my
distrobution (RH6.0 with secureweb) doesnt show anything at all. I found the
docs to do it at http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/Administration/wuftpd/
Read the comments from other users to find where I got the patched ls from
and please help me with this problem.

Nick

------------------------------

From: "inon21" <inon@@hotmail.com>
Subject: cleaning up old kernel files
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 01:41:50 -0600

It's a RH 6.1 distribution, and recently I compiled & installed kernel
2.2.16. Now, the old one (2.2.12-20) files/modules and all still sitting on
the disk.

How can I clean up this and make room? Seems like this kernel was installed
thru kernel-2.2.12-20.*.rpm from RH.

Please help. Thank you

------------------------------

From: Daniel Reichelt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 08:52:54 +0100

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 03:26:09 GMT, Scott Nolde
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Daniel Reichelt wrote:
>>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I've downloaded the complete 7.0-i386de-DIR from a SuSE-mirror. Now I
>> want do create some install-CDs (if possible bootable).
>>
>> My Problem: I don't know which files/directories to burn on which
>> CD-No.
>>
>> Every help's appreciated!!
>>
>> Daniel Reichelt
>
>Did you download the .iso files (if any)?  The iso files are the cd
>images.
>
>- Scott

No, i haven't downloaded the iso-files but the content of those 6 or 7
SuSE-CDs itself.  Arent the iso-files just images of evaluation-CDs?
Daniel

------------------------------

From: Sean Chivers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mouse unstable after XF86Setup - how fix??
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:56:13 +1030

I have just installed new Voodoo 3 2000 drivers to udate my x server. I
am running Redhat 6.0 x server 3.3.3.5... something...

I can now use my new video card, under x, but both XF86Setup and Xconfig
cannot (even though the correct setup has been chosen) make my mouse
work correctly in x (Gnome 1.0) since I ran the setup progs to get the
card setup.

I have a Microsoft Intellipoint Optical (PS2). It was working
wonderfully on my old video card, so I know it's not a mouse
incompatibility issue. Also, I was using the Intellimouse driver on
install which worked wonderfully before.

Does anyone know a utility or module procedure which my fix my problem
that doesn't use the XFConfig utilities? They stuffed it up in the first
place.

I have tried: gpm -t imps2 ( works correctly in console); - ensuring
setup is psaux, or ps2, or even Intellipoint, or mouse (for the dev
device), or /dev/gpmdata,  but none of this works.

My mouse is _there_ (in x), however  it goes wild at the slightest
touch, and opens and shuts apps at random.

------------------------------

From: "nemo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: If I switch to Mandrake 7.2, will I take a hit?
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:46:07 +1300

I run an AMD K6-2 400 with 60MB RAM, and 4MB shared RAM. With so little
resources, is it worth my while switching, as I've read that X-window app.s,
and window managers can be resource hogs. Is my system's performnce likely
to improve, suffer, or remain unchanged after a switch from Win98SE to MDK
7.2?

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest