Linux-Setup Digest #24, Volume #20               Sun, 12 Nov 00 16:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Windows/Linux : Disk size issue (Wine Development)
  3COM HELP.... ("Louis")
  Unable to mount root fs on 08:03. (Timothy Pacholek)
  Go!Linux 8.0SE - probs (Rudi Effe)
  Re: kernel: make bzImage (Colin Watson)
  Re: dual boot newsgroup (Colin Watson)
  RH 7.0 | xinetd.conf query | qpopper ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: MTU speed (BoWawzinek)
  Re: trouble in netwoking (Colin Watson)
  Re: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03. (Colin Watson)
  Re: RH 7.0 | xinetd.conf query | qpopper ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  problem with rebuilding kernel ("Wensheng Chen")
  Floppy Install ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: RH 7.0 | xinetd.conf query | qpopper ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Q: DNS Hosting ("Woody")
  Re: dual boot newsgroup (John Thompson)
  Re: Utterly unable to understand how to setup soundcard (Stephen Franklin)
  SMP Thoughts? (mark)
  Re: reduce memory usage in Linux (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: setting up x on a notebook (TopQuark)
  bug in cron? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Floppy Install (Scott Nolde)

From: Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,uk.comp.os.linux,uklinux.help.newbies
Subject: Re: Windows/Linux : Disk size issue
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 08:52:54 +0000

Chris Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wish to install linux (redhat) as a dual boot option on a machine
> currently running windows98 only. I need to increase the disk space to do
> this so would like to replace the current 1Gig disk with a somewhat larger
> one (20Gig or so). Now, I suspect my machine may suffer from the 8.4 Gig
> 1024 cylinder limit BIOS issue which would effect windows but not I gather
> linux.
>
> If so could I get around this problem with the following ? If I place the
> linux boot partition and the windows partition below the 1024 cylinder
> limit, and then make the remaining space above 1024 into linux partitions.
> I've used linux quite a bit but never installed a system so I don't know if
> this is possible, or just a dumb idea ?

Why not add a second disc. Linux does not need to boot from the first
one,
would avoid having to copy your existing stuff across too.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

------------------------------

From: "Louis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 3COM HELP....
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:24:43 +0200

Hi,

I was trying to configer my 3com card but no luck.
I was told that autoprobe will hapen auto.. but it seems to be that not, I
was checking the boot inf and there was no eth0 or eth1.
I staet to think could it be that I need to change something at BIOS or not?
or dos Linux 7.0rh support 3Com Fast Etherlink (3C515) ISA NIC or not? all
the friends said to me 3com is easy to install but no luck.
any help will great thanks to all

Louis

------------------------------

From: Timothy Pacholek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03.
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:30:02 -0000

I am trying to install Red Hat 6.1.  I was able to install once, but I
forgot to leave myself enough room for Windows.  I have a 20GB WD IDE
drive.  Currently, I have the harddisk partitioned with Windows at C:
using about 1.5GB, and D: using the last 7.5GB on the disk.  Everything
else in the middle is left open.  The first partition is well below the
1024 sector.  Every time I try to reinstall the above, I get the following
message: Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03.  Does anyone
have any idea what this means, and what I need to do?

------------------------------

From: Rudi Effe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Go!Linux 8.0SE - probs
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:37:35 +0100

I was very glad to find a bootable Linux-CD with some PC magazine. Alas,
the version mentioned above seems to have trouble with my USB logitech
mouse - hence the boot process fails. Any hints?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: kernel: make bzImage
Date: 12 Nov 2000 18:34:19 GMT

Rasmus Bøg Hansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[as86]

>If you are running redhat it is in the dev86 package, which you will have
>to install. I think it was called something different in pre-6 releases,
>but i don't recall the package name.

It used to be called 'bin86'. Some other distributions, like Debian,
still use this name.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Is this legal?"

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: dual boot newsgroup
Date: 12 Nov 2000 18:32:48 GMT

Black Dragon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 12 Nov 2000 15:15:34 GMT in comp.os.linux.setup,
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> `Colin Watson' said:
>>But it is (in a small part) about helping the dual-boot people, and
>>perhaps they would be better served in a newsgroup that isn't
>>Linux-specific.
>
>If they are dual booting Linux, it *IS* Linux specific.

People rarely ask questions about dual-booting between Linux and Linux
[1], because it's much less difficult than dual-booting between Linux
and Windows. Dealing with questions about the latter often requires
experience of both operating systems, plus a grounding in how boot
loaders in general work.

[1] Which I assume is what you meant, because it's the only way I can
    make any sense out of your point.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Oh baby you're the only thing in this whole world / That's pure and

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH 7.0 | xinetd.conf query | qpopper
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:42:38 GMT

First of what I suspect will be a series of annoying queries about
setting up xinetd.conf. Just when I got used to inetd.conf, alongs
comes something new - figures....

So, I want to have qpopper (the Qualcomm popper) start with a system
reboot. In the good old days (i.e., with inetd.conf), all I had to do
was add:

pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/popper qpopper -s

Now, apparently, I need to add something to xinetd.conf (wioch for the
moment has very little if anything in it).

I've tried adding

service pop-3
{
    socket_type = stream
    protocol = tcp
    wait = no
    user = root
    server = /usr/local/bin/in.qpopper
    server_args = -s
    log_on_failure += USERID
}

but this doesn't seem to have worked (whenever I try to connect to the
server, I get a 'connect refuse' error.

Any suggestions? Of course, I'm sure all these 'enhancements' are
supposed to make my life simpler.

Riiiiigggghhhhttttt............

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (BoWawzinek)
Subject: Re: MTU speed
Date: 12 Nov 2000 18:49:29 GMT

That was a clearly explanation

Thanks
Bodo
--
B.Wawrzinek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: trouble in netwoking
Date: 12 Nov 2000 18:47:15 GMT

Francesco Nerieri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>i've got three pc's connected via HUB, one is the gateway configured
>with masquerading (A linux) and two clients (B linux, C linux/win), i
>don't know why but all the traffic going from linux/win to gateway and
>viceversa is copied and sent to the second linux box.

You're using an ordinary "passive" hub, not a switch. Thus, your network
behaves like a single network segment for the purposes of packet
visibility, since it's cheaper to build hardware that just copies
everything everywhere than it is to build hardware that inspects the
address of each packet to work out where to send it.

If for some reason this is a problem, you'll have to buy a switch
instead.

A quick Google search found http://www.dansdata.com/network.htm, which
seems quite good as an introduction to networking.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"And finally, the most important part of any GUI, the command-line

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03.
Date: 12 Nov 2000 18:54:55 GMT

Timothy Pacholek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I am trying to install Red Hat 6.1.  I was able to install once, but I
>forgot to leave myself enough room for Windows.  I have a 20GB WD IDE
>drive.  Currently, I have the harddisk partitioned with Windows at C:
>using about 1.5GB, and D: using the last 7.5GB on the disk.  Everything
>else in the middle is left open.  The first partition is well below the
>1024 sector.  Every time I try to reinstall the above, I get the following
>message: Kernal Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03.  Does anyone
>have any idea what this means, and what I need to do?

For some reason your boot loader is telling Linux to mount its root
filesystem from /dev/sda3 (which has a device major number of 8 and a
device minor number of 3, hence 08:03), that is, the third partition on
your first SCSI hard disk. Since you don't have a SCSI hard disk, this
is unlikely to work very well.

You should point your boot loader at the right partition for your root
filesystem. For instance, if it's the second primary partition on your
first IDE hard disk, you want /dev/hda2; if it's the first logical
partition, you want /dev/hda5. The numbers should correspond to the
partition numbers in fdisk. Assuming you're using LILO, once you get
into Linux you can change the root= line in /etc/lilo.conf and run
'/sbin/lilo -v' as root; in order to boot Linux in the first place you
can type 'linux root=/dev/hda2' or whatever instead of just 'linux' at
the LILO boot prompt.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH 7.0 | xinetd.conf query | qpopper
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:04:50 GMT

On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 18:42:38 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>First of what I suspect will be a series of annoying queries about
>setting up xinetd.conf. Just when I got used to inetd.conf, alongs
>comes something new - figures....
>
>So, I want to have qpopper (the Qualcomm popper) start with a system
>reboot. In the good old days (i.e., with inetd.conf), all I had to do
>was add:
>
>pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/popper qpopper -s
>

>Now, apparently, I need to add something to xinetd.conf (wioch for the
>moment has very little if anything in it).
>
>I've tried adding
>
>service pop-3
>{
>    socket_type = stream
>    protocol = tcp
>    wait = no
>    user = root
>    server = /usr/local/bin/in.qpopper
>    server_args = -s
>    log_on_failure += USERID
>}

In followup - I've also tried starting popper manually, from the
command line - nada. Can't seem to get it to load, which I suspect
means something fundamental needs to be done.

I've scanned all the prots on my server, and POP# refuses to show up.

This took seconds under RH 6.0. Sigh...I love 'upgrades'. :-)

------------------------------

From: "Wensheng Chen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: problem with rebuilding kernel
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 19:08:56 GMT

I used the source code from RedHat 6.2 to rebuild kernel 2.2.14.  Everything
was fine until I did "make zlilo" or "make bzImage".  After compiling for a
while, both commands returned the same message: "as86: Command not found".
Indeed I couldn't find "as86" on the machine where I was doing the rebuild.
Could me anyone tell me which package "as86" belongs to so that I can
install it? Or rather the problem was caused by something else?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Floppy Install
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 11:52:34 -0800

First off, Thank you for taking the time to read this, and greater
still if you can help.
Where do I go to or to who(m) do I seek help from, I would like to set
up a learning based 486 dx66 64 MB machine for my teenagers to learn
some basics on. We currently have a MS network with Win 95,98,ME and
2000/NT adsl connected machines. but I would like them to learn more
than how to point and click. Ive tried an old DOS box but with out
network ability its no use. I have tried rh6.2 and it was very nice
the netscape browser and lack of Agent newsreader sent them back to a
windows world. But some command line basics, then add in  a chat
feature, alittle xms mp3 and I may have them hooked. But first the
basics .
Thanks
Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:02:22 GMT

According to Qualcomm's westie, in theory all I need to do is add:

service pop3
          {

               socket_type     =  stream
               protocol = tcp
               wait = no
               user = root
               server = /usr/local/lib/popper
               server_args = qpopper -s
               port = 110
}

to my xinetd.conf file.

We shall see...

------------------------------

From: "Woody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Q: DNS Hosting
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 21:10:27 +0100

Hi,
I'm setting up an internet server and I understand that I would need to set
up the MX and NS records; I already have a fixed IP and a domain.
Where is that done and once set, how do I check their functionality?
TIS,
Emilio

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:36:20 -0600

Peter wrote:

> There are so many questions about dual boot that it deserves a
> comp.os.linux.dualboot.
>
> The dual boot questions are of no interest to me. I avoid dual boot no
> matter what operating system. I even use a new computer when I have to
> switch to summer time.

Many people do not have that luxury, and dualboot issues are not
exclusive to linux.  Can you not filter articles on the issue or
simply hit the "next" key?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Stephen Franklin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Utterly unable to understand how to setup soundcard
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 12:14:43 -0800

Try running kudzu and see what it comes up with. Also you can go to /proc
and check interrupts and ports to see what are present.

------------------------------

From: mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SMP Thoughts?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:48:03 +0000

Hi,
    I want to build a new dual processor system. I just wondered if
anyone's got any experience in this field? Rough idea on specs 2x 600Mhz
processors, G400 AGP graphics card, 3DFX card 20Gb HDD and A
motherboard. Which is the crunch point. What motherboard? I want to get
something the Linux gets on well with, and would be a nightmare to set
up. Any suggestions?

While I'm one the subject of SMP. Is it possible, like in VMS, to force
the system to run a certain process on a certain processor? If I don't
how does the Kernel decide where to place a process? Does it just simple
give it to the CPU which has the least work to do? Finally do you see
good performance improvements?

Any thoughts appreciated

Many thanks

Mark

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reduce memory usage in Linux
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:56:57 +0000

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DualIP) spoke thusly:

>To me the most stupid rule in the book.

        It's kinda like upgrading your modem.  The faster it works, the more
you tend to do with it.  At 1200 baud, the most you did was run a dumb
terminal and maybe download a file, but *not* while you were reading the
bulletin board messages.  At 56Kbps, you read usenet while grabbing Linux
upgrades as a routine cron job, and chat on IRC and ICQ all at the same
time.  You add more swap space to keep up with your increased capabilities,
and you use double your RAM so you can literally switch from one computing
session to another, from one video frame to the next, etc...  It won't stop
until computers are able to predict what we want, and can give it to us
before we even want it. <grins>

--               Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
Warning: The Surgeon General has deemed that excessive displays of warning
labels and public service announcements produce stress and shortens lives.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TopQuark)
Subject: Re: setting up x on a notebook
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:59:55 GMT

On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:22:19 +0000, Thorsten Gutermuth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi!
> I use Suse 6.3(2.2.13) on a notebook. I frist tried to setup X using
> sax, which resulted in to red lines on my screen. Then I read the x and
> notebook howto and ran a tool called SuperProbe, which gave me the
> specification of my graphic card:
> SuperProbe Version 2.21 (1999 September 9)...
> First video: Super-VGA
>       Chipset: Trident Cyber9385 (PCI Probed)
>       Memory:  2048 Kbytes
>       RAMDAC:  Trident Built-In 15/16/24-bit DAC
>                (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
[snip]
> (--) SVGA: videoram: 64k

That's likely your problem.

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] Give up Spammers; I use procmail.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: bug in cron?
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:50:41 GMT

I'm having some problems with cron on Linux Mandrake 7.0
2.2.14 kernel.  I haven't found a way of getting the version from cron.

Here's my crontab (run as user ralph, not as as root):
heimdall:~ % crontab -l
# Run the net speed code every 15 minutes or so.
13,39 * * * *  $HOME/bin/rpsNetSpeed.py --test
>>/home/httpd/html/netspeed.log
19,47 * * * *  $HOME/bin/rpsNetSpeed.py --report
>/home/httpd/html/netspeed.html
1,11,21,31,41,51 * * * *  $HOME/bin/rpsPingTest.py --test
>>/home/httpd/html/ping.log
7,17,27,37,47,57 * * * *  $HOME/bin/rpsPingTest.py --report
>/home/httpd/html/ping.html

My date and time are fine and I'm running xntpd, synced up to
clock.isc.org

The problem:

Everything seems to run just fine until about around 10:40pm, lasting
until about 7:30am, nothing seems to run during this time.
The scripts are trivial, and there's no code in them that has time/date
dependencies.

Here's a snippet of the log files that shows them not running:

netspeed.log:
2000/11/11 22:40:01 209681  0.502   408.191 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/editors/uemacs/em-4.0.15-lt.tar.gz
2000/11/11 22:40:04 1106071 2.927   369.084 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/devel/nasm/source/nasm-0.97.tar.gz
2000/11/11 22:40:14 4241959 10.406  398.099 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc/egcs-1.1.2-glibc.x86.tar.bz2
2000/11/11 22:40:18 1704216 3.075   541.294 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc/libc-5.4.46.tar.gz
2000/11/12 07:46:01 22888582    404.170 55.304 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.4/linux-2.4.0-test9.tar.gz
2000/11/12 07:46:06 209681  1.175   174.327 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/editors/uemacs/em-4.0.15-lt.tar.gz
2000/11/12 07:46:20 1106071 13.829  78.106 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/devel/nasm/source/nasm-0.97.tar.gz
2000/11/12 07:47:09 4241959 48.613  85.214 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc/egcs-1.1.2-glibc.x86.tar.bz2
2000/11/12 07:47:40 1704216 25.517  65.222 KB/s
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/devel/gcc/libc-5.4.46.tar.gz

ping.log:
2000/11/11 22:21:44 26.50   132.10  896.50  25.00 % packet loss
my.yahoo.com
2000/11/11 22:31:22 22.50   60.30   169.60  10.00 % packet loss
24.221.162.5
2000/11/11 22:31:46 26.00   82.90   288.50  15.00 % packet loss
my.yahoo.com
2000/11/11 22:41:29 22.60   89.80   475.10  5.00 % packet loss
24.221.162.5
2000/11/11 22:42:00 36.30   75.40   356.50  5.00 % packet loss
my.yahoo.com
2000/11/12 07:39:33 40.30   99.80   129.50  25.00 % packet loss
24.221.162.5
2000/11/12 07:39:52 118.90  150.90  355.30  0.00 % packet loss
my.yahoo.com
2000/11/12 07:39:34 40.60   103.30  150.60  10.00 % packet loss
24.221.162.5
2000/11/12 07:39:53 79.70   109.70  160.00  0.00 % packet loss
my.yahoo.com
2000/11/12 07:39:33 37.50   106.30  142.50  15.00 % packet loss
24.221.162.5
2000/11/12 07:39:53 2.00    263.60  551.00  10.00 % packet loss
my.yahoo.com

Thanks.
-Ralph
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Floppy Install
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 20:52:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> First off, Thank you for taking the time to read this, and greater
> still if you can help.
> Where do I go to or to who(m) do I seek help from, I would like to set
> up a learning based 486 dx66 64 MB machine for my teenagers to learn
> some basics on. We currently have a MS network with Win 95,98,ME and
> 2000/NT adsl connected machines. but I would like them to learn more
> than how to point and click. Ive tried an old DOS box but with out
> network ability its no use. I have tried rh6.2 and it was very nice
> the netscape browser and lack of Agent newsreader sent them back to a
> windows world. But some command line basics, then add in  a chat
> feature, alittle xms mp3 and I may have them hooked. But first the
> basics .
> Thanks
> Scott

So what's your question?  You can read news with emacs, pine, and slrn
to name a few.

Teach them about network security.  use the 486 and set up a firewall
with it.  You don't need graphics with that.  Add two nic cards, make it
a router.  Add dhcp to giv the rest of the lan ip addresses.  Configure
samba.  Make the 486 a file/print server.  Configure fetchmail on it and
make it an email server.

- Scott

--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest