Linux-Setup Digest #24, Volume #21               Tue, 10 Apr 01 15:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  See This for setup help (in Danish) ("Black Widow")
  Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH7 and Samba with encrypted passwds (Paul Knopp)
  change display card ? ("david")
  Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Switching between KDE and GNOME ("Mandy Berry")
  Re: RH7 and Samba with encrypted passwds (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Create ext2 Partition from Windows (John Sheehan)
  Re: RH7 and Samba with encrypted passwds (Paul Knopp)
  Re: Why Lilo can not boot? ("William Dandreta")
  Re: multi boot with linux/winme/win2k (Stuart)
  Re: Can't print (drivers?) ("Taavi Hein")
  Re: Switching between KDE and GNOME (Sebastian Palm)
  Re: Switching between KDE and GNOME (Chiefy)
  Re: Suppressing Redhat bootup output (Paul Haley)
  Re: "rpm cannot be installed" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: "rpm cannot be installed" ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Yamaha PCI (Dell m/b) and 2.4 (bill davidsen)
  Re: Switching between KDE and GNOME
  Re: Creative CT5880 Sound or PCI128 or what ever.;-( (bill davidsen)
  Re: [q]Network Card module probing!!!, Not working. ("Siddharth Vajirkar")
  Re: sound on a toshiba tecra (suse 7 or slack 7.1) (bill davidsen)

From: "Black Widow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: See This for setup help (in Danish)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:05:33 +0200

www.linux-forum.dk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:41:48 -0400

 my only question is where do i put the "raidstart -a" command?  I
know it can't be in the init.d scripts, as these are loaded after the
fs has been mounted.

kevin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Knopp)
Subject: RH7 and Samba with encrypted passwds
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:36:04 GMT

I am attempting to use Samba with encrypted passwords so that my NT
4.0 clients can login to the smb shares on my RedHat box.

SMB shares that allow guest access work just fine.  However, those
that need a name and password will not accept it.

I have /etc/smbpasswd file and have used /usr/sbin/pwconv to make sure
it is updated with the user / password information in my /etc/passwd
file.

Also, I have modified smb.conf with the following lines

  encrypt passwords = yes
  smb passwd file = /etc/shadow

Any additional suggestions for me?  Thanks in advance,

Paul

------------------------------

From: "david" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: change display card ?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 23:58:39 +0800

I got Linux 2.2.16 + KDE on my PC. Recently, i was upgraded the display card
from S3Trio64V to Voodoo Banshee.

I have executed xconfigurator to change the display card. However, I stills
fail to startx. any idea ?

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:05:49 +0200

In comp.os.linux.admin [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  my only question is where do i put the "raidstart -a" command?  I
> know it can't be in the init.d scripts, as these are loaded after the

It is in the init.d scripts, as these are run BEFORE the fs has been
mounted. Look in rcS.d. Read the README.

> fs has been mounted.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Mandy Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Switching between KDE and GNOME
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:29:53 -0700

Hello all,

Just a quick question...
What is the best way to switch between
KDE and GNOME ???

I am running RH7.0 and I don't know which
files I need to modify in order to select between
GNOME or KDE.  I have installed both and I want
to try both to see which I prefer.  However, by
default my system always uses GNOME and I don't
know how to switch to KDE.

Any help?

Cheers,
Mandy.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH7 and Samba with encrypted passwds
Date: 10 Apr 2001 10:34:34 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Knopp) writes:

> I am attempting to use Samba with encrypted passwords so that my NT
> 4.0 clients can login to the smb shares on my RedHat box.
>
> SMB shares that allow guest access work just fine.  However, those
> that need a name and password will not accept it.
>
> I have /etc/smbpasswd file and have used /usr/sbin/pwconv to make sure
> it is updated with the user / password information in my /etc/passwd
> file.
>
> Also, I have modified smb.conf with the following lines
>
>   encrypt passwords = yes
>   smb passwd file = /etc/shadow
>
> Any additional suggestions for me?  Thanks in advance,

You have to manually add users to smbpasswd by using this:

smbpasswd -a username
smbpasswd username
 [change password]

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John Sheehan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Create ext2 Partition from Windows
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:41:44 GMT

That is a great idea.  Thanks.  Do you know what the best way is to
create an imagefile?  Thanks again.

In article <9au6ti$76b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Knopp)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:50:37 GMT

Thanks!  Worked like a charm!

------------------------------

From: "William Dandreta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Lilo can not boot?
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 16:55:34 GMT

Hi Ega,

Those numbers are diagnostic codes for lilo. If you read the lilo manual it
will expalin what the codes mean. All the problems I have had with lilo seem
to be related to the Hard disk. The /boot directory needs to be located
within the 1st 1024 cylinders for lilo to access it. The easiest way to
accomplish this is have a /boot partition at the start of the disk.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Stuart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: multi boot with linux/winme/win2k
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:01:38 -0400

try this setup up two partitons for windows ME and 2k         leave room
for linux

install WINME
install WIN2k on FAT32
          WIN2k has a dual boot program for WIN9x and WIN2k

then install linux with lilo

you should get this

lilo: <tab  linux     dos>

pick linux for linux         dos for winme or win2k

dos:
you will get a screen saying

Windows 2000 Pro
Windows ME

------------------------------

From: "Taavi Hein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Can't print (drivers?)
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 16:11:28 +0300

: Absolutely none.  You don't "get drivers" like you do with M$ Windows.
: Tell PrintTool that it is an HP DeskJet 550.
: You could have found this information at:
: http://www.linuxprinting.org/

Are you telling me, Linux doesn't use drivers (or anything of a similar
concept)? You make me wonder, if there's a reason for not keeping up with
the hardware progress... Of course there are drivers for Linux (for some
hardware).

Well, I don't really care, if PrintTool uses 'drivers' or 'filters' or
whatever. It doesn't make any difference to me as an end user (what does
HPDJ550 use? -- drivers?), I could call them 'XkpJ4V' for all I care, except
that no-one could understand, what it means, so I used the word 'drivers'.

By 'appropriate drivers' I meant 'drivers that allow me to print with my
printer' not 'Xerox DP6 drivers'. If I can use something that's allready in
the PrintTool -- all the better. As you could see from the other issue,
there's just a little problem with surfin' the net for answers ;)

: Best advice, buy a hardware modem.

Not the best (from my point of view), but the easyest one ;) If I had the
money, I'd already have a real modem, instead of searching for help.

--
Taavi Hein - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Registered Linux user #209546

------------------------------

From: Sebastian Palm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Switching between KDE and GNOME
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:26:26 +0200

Mandy Berry wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Just a quick question...
> What is the best way to switch between
> KDE and GNOME ???
>
> I am running RH7.0 and I don't know which
> files I need to modify in order to select between
> GNOME or KDE.  I have installed both and I want
> to try both to see which I prefer.  However, by
> default my system always uses GNOME and I don't
> know how to switch to KDE.
>
> Any help?

Easy way: log in as root at boot time and type
  kdm
at the prompt. This starts the KDE login manager, which
allows you to choose user and session type, i.e. which
desktop environment you're interrested in. Some versions
of kdm won't allow you to exit X, but the newer ones will
give an option of Console session.

Almost as easy: in the /etc/X11/xinit directory, there should
be a set of files with names like xinitrc.kde and xinitrc.gnome.
Copy the xinitrc file to a backup location, and then copy the
xinitrc.$WINDOWMANAGER to xinitrc

HTH!

Sebastian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chiefy)
Date: 10 Apr 2001 17:36:07 GMT

11 Apr 2001 00:29 UTC, Mandy Berry did say to the dudes:
> I am running RH7.0 and I don't know which
> files I need to modify in order to select between
> GNOME or KDE.  I have installed both and I want
> to try both to see which I prefer.  However, by
> default my system always uses GNOME and I don't
> know how to switch to KDE.

On this box (Debian 2.2), the list of available wm's is placed in
/etc/X11/window-managers.

The default wm is the first in the list.

This may not apply to RH.

--
Chiefy. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Scientists say 1 out of every 4 people is crazy, check 3 friends,
if they are ok, you're it.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Suppressing Redhat bootup output
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Haley)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:00:05 GMT

Kasper Dupont <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>--------------55870E7A2CA7274571662124
>Paul Haley wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm running Redhat 6.2 and would like to suppress the output on
>> bootup, such as "Loading cron.....  [OK]", etc.  All I want is to have
>> lilo say "loading linux" and then give me a login prompt, though of
>> course I still want all the programs/processes to run, I just don't
>> want them to output to the screen.  I checked out the init scripts and
>> nothing jumped out at me.
>>
>> Can somebody help?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Paul

I don't want the output because the boss says so :).  It's for a unit we are
coming out with and apparently the customers don't want to see the output.
Thanks to everybody who replied!

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "rpm cannot be installed"
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:29:27 GMT

In <9ausvd$6q6rk$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 04/10/01
   at 12:06 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> Spent about two hours' worth of heavy German mark downloading webbuilder
>> for linux only to have the uninformative error message, "cannot be
>> installed", when I try to unpack the rpm.

>Check the dependencies of the RPM, maybe you're missing something that is
>necessary.

>Davide

No. I ran 'rpm -i  --test' and it said something about a corrupt header.

IBM told me to contact their German wing; the German wing gave me the same
URL I've spent about one hour's worth of time, all told, trying to get an
intact copy.

There're some stores here apparently where one can purchase a cd or
something. I'll look into that.

Would be nice to crack the rpm though.

F.

     Felmon John Davis
     Union College /  Schenectady, NY
     os/2 - ma kauft koi katz em sack

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:30:34 GMT

In <9av2ig$tv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 04/10/01
   at 08:43 AM, Rex Dieter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>That usually means that the rpm file in question has been corrupted
>somehow.  You'll most likely need to download it again.

>-- Rex

Ai-eee! No way! No! Nein!

I may be able to get it via IBM Germany on a cd.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: linux.dev.sound,comp.os.linux.development.sys
Subject: Yamaha PCI (Dell m/b) and 2.4
Date: 10 Apr 2001 18:30:36 GMT

NOTE: While this may be a 2.4 issue, followups have been redirected to
the sound and setup groups only.

I am trying to use the Yamaha YMF-724 sound system on a Dell Dimension
V400 motherboard, with a 2.4.3 kernel. I compiled the ymfpci as a
module so I could try it and other drivers, and when I insert, I get in
the log:

Apr 10 13:37:44 pipedream kernel: ymfpci: YMF724 at 0xf4000000 IRQ 9
Apr 10 13:37:44 pipedream kernel: ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id:0x4144:0x5303
(Analog Devices AD1819)

which looks to me as if it worked. And I see the modules loaded. The
problem is that the /dev/sndstat device says that sound is not
configured. It is, and I tried building in sound and OSS support to
avoid any loading order issues.

That's the whole question, is there something unobvious I have to do to
get this to respond? I originally had all the sound stuff as modules,
that worked no better (or worse).

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
At LinuxExpo Sun was showing Linux applications running on Solaris.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:32:09 GMT

FYI

I'm not in front of my machine (RH 7.0). However......

As root...

cd /etc/sysconfig

look for a file called "Desktop"

Place "KDE" or "GNOME" in this file depending on
what you want to run. This obviously assumes you have
both packages installed. Don't think quotes are
necessary

When running startx, it should run the correct
desktop manager.

Tom Romeo
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

On 4/10/01, 8:29:53 PM, "Mandy Berry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]=

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Creative CT5880 Sound or PCI128 or what ever.;-(
Date: 10 Apr 2001 19:05:08 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, olgnuby  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Hate to say this, but the god damned sound works fine under windoze with
| everything, so I'm not needing some one to tell me to hook a cable from
| one of my cdroms to someplace. I know it's all taken care of. ;-(

Um, on some systems there are analog output vs. digital output issues.
Don't know a thing about yours, but just because it works under Win
doesn't mean it's cabled right for Linux in all cases.

No, I'm not an expert who can tell you more on this.

From: "Siddharth Vajirkar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: [q]Network Card module probing!!!, Not working.
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 12:06:29 -0700

I had a similar problem and the solution was that my BIOS has a setting
called Plug'n'Play OS. It was set to TRUE when the machine came with the
standard Win ME software. I set it to FALSE and then my card was detected
and all that good stuff came together.

- Sid

news:9ae1d2$eov$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: sound on a toshiba tecra (suse 7 or slack 7.1)
Date: 10 Apr 2001 19:08:14 GMT

In article <l.986493324.1472686767@[192.189.124.43]>,
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| with slackware i assume this will involve recompiling the
| kernel which i prefer to avoid (and if i do i might as well get
| the 2.4.x etc etc etc) so that kinda leaves me with suse.

Slackware whould have all the sound drivers in the modules directory, so
it should be a matter of a modprobe to get it going. Sorry, I have a
diferent Tecra, but mine worked that way.

--
  bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
At LinuxExpo Sun was showing Linux applications running on Solaris.
They don't get it, the arrow points the other way. There's a reason why
there's no SolarisExpo, Solaris is a tool; Linux is a philosophy, a
religion, a way of life, and only incidentally an operating system.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest