Linux-Setup Digest #33, Volume #20               Tue, 14 Nov 00 01:13:07 EST

Contents:
  Re: color in text-based (maher abedib)
  make all on kdelibs error, any idea? (Mark Worsdall)
  Re: Turtle Beach Montego-II on Dell for RH 6.2!!?? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Video question under Mandrake 7.1 (tom)
  linux laptop ("Giguere")
  Where's my memory going? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Video question under Mandrake 7.1 (tom)
  Re: Memory leak? (Michael Erskine)
  Re: Memory leak? (Michael Erskine)
  Re: Memory leak? (Joe Schaefer)
  Re: Windows corrupts adjacent linux partition? (Wine Development)
  Re: Memory leak? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Where's my memory going? (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Where's my memory going? (Vinko Vrsalovic)
  Re: Newbie: compile kernal? (USB modem support?) (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: scsi pcmcia? (Paul Kimoto)
  FTP / NFS Installation (Jason)
  Re: reduce memory usage in Linux (Yuli)
  Re: reduce memory usage in Linux (Yuli)
  Re: sh help needed to determine time of day (Paul Kimoto)
  UPDATE: PM Error 105 Please Look: Results of `fdisk -l /dev/hda` (Brando)
  installation screnshots ("Brian")
  unknown printer...broken pipe...help ("Darren and Marla Welson")

From: maher abedib <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: color in text-based
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:19:25 +0800

Thanks a lot.I will try it out.Why I never think of changing in source
code level...
This is the best part of open source ...

thanks again,

regards,
maher

------------------------------

From: Mark Worsdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: make all on kdelibs error, any idea?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:22:38 +0000

Hi,

Have just done a make all on the kdelibs src and got the following
error:-

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I./../libltdl/ -I../dcop -I../kdecore
-I../kde
ui -I../kssl -I/usr/local/qt/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -
I/usr/local/kde/inclu
de -O2 -fno-exceptions -fno-check-new -Wall -pedantic -W -Wpointer-arith
-Wmissi
ng-prototypes -Wwrite-strings -fno-builtin -frtti -DQT_CLEAN_NAMESPACE -
DQT_NO_C
OMPAT -DQT_NO_ASCII_CAST -c kcompletion.cpp  -fPIC -DPIC -o
.libs/kcompletion.o
knotifyclient.h:71: sorry, not implemented: namespace
kcompletion.cpp: In method `void KCompletion::doBeep(enum
KCompletion::BeepMode)
':
kcompletion.cpp:465: `KNotifyClient' undeclared (first use this
function)
kcompletion.cpp:465: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
kcompletion.cpp:465: for each function it appears in.)
kcompletion.cpp:465: parse error before `::'
kcompletion.cpp:466: confused by earlier errors, bailing out
make[3]: *** [kcompletion.lo] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/src/kde/kdelibs-2.0/kdecore'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/src/kde/kdelibs-2.0/kdecore'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/home/src/kde/kdelibs-2.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

Running 2.2.12 on RH5.2 dist.

--
He came from Econet - Oh no, I've run out of underpants :(
Home:- [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.wizdom.org.uk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Turtle Beach Montego-II on Dell for RH 6.2!!??
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 02:56:10 GMT

got it!
The README file is wrong. I should use 'make install' instead of 'make
install20'. Now it works on 2.2.17.

This card is au8830, NOT 8820 as doc mentions.

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video question under Mandrake 7.1
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:23:15 GMT

I'm planning to give Linux another try in the next few days.  I
remember the last time I tried my Mandrake 7.1, I couldn't get the
video set up right and the display looked really bad (640x480 was the
only option!).

My video setup is a Leadtek Winfast video card that runs through a
Voodoo2 before going on to the monitor.  As I recall, neither of these
cards were listed in the video setup options the last time I installed
Mandrake.  Can anybody suggest alternative selections that will give a
decent display?

Tom

From: "Giguere" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux laptop
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:48:05 GMT

I want to get a used laptop to run RedHat 7.0 (or 6.2).  What would all you
people recommend for a manufacturer, cpu, ram, hd, video, etc.. i dont
really need more than 175 Mhz.  Also network card or pc slot a must.  also
how much would i expect to pay for one of these?  Thanks in return, Brian

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Where's my memory going?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:00:39 +0500

Ok, this is weird.  When I boot the machine, my memory test goes up to
128Meg, which is what I would expect since that's what I bought the
machine with.  However, I've just recently noticed that top, asmem and
other memory-load checkers are reporting only 64Meg.  What's going on?
Am I missing something obvious?  I thought my machine was spending lots
of time grinding on the hard disks, and it appears that X is taking up
86% of my memory leaving only about 12Meg or so for all my apps -- no
wonder I'm swapping so much!

Anybody know why only half my memory is reporting?  If I'd blow a SIMM or
something, wouldn't it fail the initial check at bootup?

Duane

------------------------------

From: tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video question under Mandrake 7.1
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:59:02 GMT

Also, which one do I set as the video card -- the Leadtek since it's
the first, or the Voodoo2, since it's the last link in the chain before
the monitor?

Tom

From: Michael Erskine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: Memory leak?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:21:21 -0500

> If anyone has any ideas about what could be causing this (I did turn off
> rhnd --that's not it), I'd appreciate the insight.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Greg

I have been using Linux for a long time but I have not upgraded to that
kernel and have never run SMP on a Linux box so take this with some salt.
Just some thoughts, in no particular order and of little worth.

Since the even numbered kernels are 'supposed' to be stable upon release,
and this is 2.4.x, I expect a problem this severe would have been noticed
in the pre-release kernels, which are odd numbered, eg... 2.1.x, 2.3.x.
Although, I am not certain that all the developers would be working with
SMP and I suppose there might be something unnoticed in a released kernel.
Still, there are a bunch of .edu's running SMP boxes in clusters.  If it
were a problem in that area someone would have noticed most likely.

I have seen such a leak (though not as bad and not recently) in X on Sun
and HPUX.  I doubt that you will see such a leak these days as I have not
noticed one in quite some time.

Make certain you are not misinterpreting what you are seeing.  Write a
program that allocates memory until memory is completely exhausted
(including swap) and then kill the program with a SIGHUP.  If you get
your memory back after that, the problem is most likely not a kernel
issue, but beware, you will have to reboot if you don't.

Look at swap activity, is the system busily swapping to disk...  then
you probably have a memory problem or some program has allocated a bunch
of ram.  How many users are hitting the server?  What sort of use are
they putting it to?  Is there a reason (lotsa apache processes, buncha
NFS/SAMBA activity, big Squid cache in memory, etc, etc...)?

IF this is a leak, use ps or top to chase down the leak.  If the machine
is a server, stop running anything you don't need.  You don't NEED X on
a server (at least not XDM or KDM).  Just run startx when you want the
GUI and then log out of X when you aren't using it.

All else failing, I would be looking at turning off SMP for a while to
see if there is something else unnoticed in the kernel to this point.

Sorry, this ain't more help.

------------------------------

From: Michael Erskine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.security
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 23:23:35 -0500

k wrote:

> Greg Engel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >My system is running the 2.4.0-0.37smp kernel from RedHat (same problem
> >with the shipping RedHat 2.4.0-0.26smp kernel, hence the upgrade) and
> >Redhat 7.0.  The system is using autofs, nfs, and nis, and
> >unfortunately, it is acting as a server so I can't very well turn off
> >services for 72 h at a time.  I'm also using tripwire extensively, and
> >I'm fairly certain that I haven't been hacked.
>
> have you tried using a _stable_ kernel?

Kernel versions which are even in the second digit, eg. 2.2.x, 2.4.x are
supposed to be stable at release.

Smart asses, are rarely ever given even numbers, or even even responses.

-m-
> --
> A great frustration in life is discovering that sometimes those who
> say something can't be done turn out to be right.
>  -Donald Simanek

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.security
From: Joe Schaefer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 13 Nov 2000 23:49:10 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Kähäri) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Greg Engel wrote:
> >Andreas Kähäri wrote:

[...]

> >top shows the following:
> >
> >>  2:56pm  up 23:18,  5 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.05, 0.15
> >> 77 processes: 76 sleeping, 1 running, 0 zombie, 0 stopped
> >> CPU0 states:  1.3% user,  1.2% system,  0.0% nice, 96.3% idle
> >> CPU1 states:  2.0% user,  0.4% system,  0.0% nice, 97.0% idle
> >> Mem:   255312K av,  227232K used,   28080K free,       0K shrd,   13920K
> >> buff
> >> Swap:  248996K av,      12K used,  248984K free                  133448K
> >> cached

[...]

> ps: Why is the shared memory at 0? It ought to be higher... Are you
>     using a test/hacked kernel?

Sorry to barge in late, but the 0KB shared memory is bothering me, too.
I doubt it's a kernel problem, though. Perhaps your procps rpm
(rpm -qf `which ps`) isn't up to date with your kernel release?

I don't know much about your particular situation, but whenever you
upgrade your kernel in a *major* way (i.e. 2.2 -> 2.4), there's a
whole bunch of accompanying utilities that have to get upgraded
also.  The kernel source is well-documented, and you can find
out the minimum requirements there if other stuff is acting wierd.

HTH.
--
Joe Schaefer

------------------------------

From: Wine Development <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows corrupts adjacent linux partition?
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 19:19:18 +0000

Derek Jolly wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Alan Raskin), in message
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, wrote
>
> >I had a similar problem with the same system and Linux distro/version.
> >For some unknown reason, the Mandrake 7.1 installation didn't resize the
> >Windows partition properly on my 12GB drive, so the Windows and Linux
> >partitions ended up overlapping. When the disk defragmenter ran
> >automagically every Friday morning, Windows would take back about 200 MB
> >from the Linux partition. Can you say "Kiss your Linux good-bye"?

This is typically the result of using two different fdisk programs to
partition
the disc.

--
Keith Matthews                  Spam trap - my real account at this
                                                        node is keith_m

Frequentous Consultants  - Linux Services,
                Oracle development & database administration

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.security
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:10:45 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Joe Schaefer wrote:
[2.4.0-test* kernels:]
>> ps: Why is the shared memory at 0? It ought to be higher... Are you
>>     using a test/hacked kernel?

> Sorry to barge in late, but the 0KB shared memory is bothering me, too.

The procps programs just get the information from /proc/meminfo.  As I
understand it, the kernel no longer adds up the shared memory for your
convenience, and just reports "0" instead.  (Apparently it's considered too
expensive or something like that.)

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Where's my memory going?
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:13:42 -0500

In article <uK2Q5.19028$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ok, this is weird.  When I boot the machine, my memory test goes up to
> 128Meg, which is what I would expect since that's what I bought the
> machine with.  However, I've just recently noticed that top, asmem and
> other memory-load checkers are reporting only 64Meg.  What's going on?

You need to give the kernel a little help and tell it how much memory to
use, by giving it the argument "mem=128M" (or possibly a few M less).
What method do you use to boot?

If you build your own kernels, on the other hand, you can try David
Parsons's fancy memory-detection patches at
http://www.pell.portland.or.us/~orc/Memory/memory.html

From: Vinko Vrsalovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 14 Nov 2000 04:43:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Ok, this is weird.  When I boot the machine, my memory test goes up to
> 128Meg, which is what I would expect since that's what I bought the
> machine with.  However, I've just recently noticed that top, asmem and
> other memory-load checkers are reporting only 64Meg.  What's going on?
> Am I missing something obvious?  I thought my machine was spending lots
> of time grinding on the hard disks, and it appears that X is taking up
> 86% of my memory leaving only about 12Meg or so for all my apps -- no
> wonder I'm swapping so much!

Is you kernel compiled for 128 Megs?

--
Vinko Vrsalovic B.           +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                       ++  Perche' la tua lingua e mia!, MIA! ++

Understanding is always the understanding of a smaller problem
in relation to a bigger problem.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Newbie: compile kernal? (USB modem support?)
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:18:19 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Laura Goodwin wrote:
> OK, I just installed Mandrake 7.1, and I'm happy about that.  I need to
> be able to use my USB external modem.  It's a Boca Tidalwave, hardware
> corrected, not a "winmodem".  The light comes on when I'm in Linux, so
> it shows some signs of life, but when I try to communicate I'm told
> there is no modem found.
>
> A guy in another Linux forum told me I should try compiling a newer
> kernel (specifically 2.4 -test10), which I wouldn't mind if I could be
> sure it would help me with my problem.  I can't be sure at this point
> that my modem would be recognized.

Disclaimer:  I don't have a USB modem.

The 2.4.0-test11-pre2 Configure.help file tells of this option:

: USB Modem (CDC ACM) support
: CONFIG_USB_ACM
:   This driver supports USB modems and ISDN adapters which support the
:   Communication Device Class Abstract Control Model interface.
:   Please read Documentation/usb/acm.txt for details.

This file says (in part):

:   The drivers/usb/acm.c drivers works with USB modems and USB ISDN terminal
: adapters that conform to the Universal Serial Bus Communication Device Class
: Abstract Control Model (USB CDC ACM) specification.
:
:   Many modems do, here is a list of those I know of:
:
:         3Com OfficeConnect 56k
:         3Com Voice FaxModem Pro
:         3Com Sportster
:         MultiTech MultiModem 56k
:         Zoom 2986L FaxModem
:         Compaq 56k FaxModem
:         ELSA Microlink 56k
:
: [...]
:
:   Unfortunately many modems and most ISDN TAs use proprietary interfaces and
: thus won't work with this drivers. Check for ACM compliance before buying.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: scsi pcmcia?
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:21:35 -0500

In article <8upon2$9n0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jason Wagner wrote:
>  how good is linux at
> recognizing pcmcia scsi cards?

Disclaimer:  I don't use a PCMCIA SCSI card.

PCMCIA support comes from David Hinds at http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/.
See the list of supported cards at the website.

From: Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FTP / NFS Installation
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:30:05 -0000

I have an oldy moldy P75 laptop I'd like to experiment Linux on.  It has a
somewhat working disk drive, but no CD-ROM drive.  It also has a PCMCIA
network ethernet card that works fine with my @home cable modem.  I also
had a Win2K box, and a Win98SE laptop.

My question is, since there is not enough space to copy a whole
distrubtion onto the P75s HD, how can I install Linux on it?  The easiest
option to me looks to be the FTP setup, which works with most
distributions.

I've setup the FTP installation with all the right Gateways, IPs, and
Subnets, but it still doesn't work (even when trying it on a desktop with
a PCI NIC).  Anyone know of any tricks to get RedHat or any other
distrubtion to install via FTP with @Home?

I was also looking around, investigating NFS.  I read on the Caldera site
that NFS can be done via a parallel cable.  Great. . .that means I can
hook the P75 it up to my Win98SE laptop and share the CD-ROM drive,
right?  If anyone has any info on this setup, it would be greatly
appreciated.

Any other methods of installing Linux on this laptop would be of great
help.

PS the P75 has ~850meg HD, a little less with Win98 installed, which I
will soon delete once I have a solution worked out.

------------------------------

From: Yuli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: reduce memory usage in Linux
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:30:09 -0000

David wrote:

> DualIP wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 00:46:27 +0000, Michael V. Ferranti
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >       Check your swap partition size.  It should be at least double
that of
> > >your RAM.
> >
> > To me the most stupid rule in the book.
> > When I upgrade and double my RAM , I must double swap partition size
> > as well??
> > Seems to me like the upgraded box would require less in stead of more
> > swap space
> >
> > DualIP
>
> Doubling swap is only needed if you have a small amount of physical
> memory. It usually isn't needed to have a swap partition over 128 MB
> unless maybe if the system is very heavily used.
>
> --
> Confucius say: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
> Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
> ID # 123538
> Completed more work units than: 98.801% of seti users +/- 0.01%.

thank's, now I have 128Mb RAM how much swapspace should I give?
Confucious say that he's confuse.

------------------------------

From: Yuli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:30:10 -0000

Esa Tikka wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Nov 2000 09:30:17 -0000, Yuli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I got a 32 Mb of RAM, they says that Linux use quiet little memory
(RAM)
> >than Windows.
> >But after I have Linux installed yet, I found that Windows proceed
> >execution (running Programs), faster than Linux. Linux use 98% of my
RAM.
> >How do I reduce it?
>
> The reason why Linux uses 98% of your RAM is that Linux uses it as a
cache

> to speed up things. Once something has been eg. loaded from disk, it will
> be in the cache and if it's needed again (soon enough) it can be loaded
> quickly from the cache. Anyway, you don't want to reduce the cache, if
> your programs need the memory the cache will dynamically be made smaller.
>
> The "slow" running of programs you mentioned is maybe caused by Linux
> giving time to all running programs in a more "democratic" way compared
> Windows. This means that the program that needs more processor time than
> others seems to run slower than it should because it doesn't drain all
the
> power the processor has, only a reasonable amount of it.
> Another reason can be if you run X-window applications, which tend to be
> quite big. With only 32MB X will be slow anyway.
>
> If my explanation seemed like nonsense or if I went wrong, others may
> help :)
>

> --
> Esa Tikka          ---  esa dot tikka at lut dot fi  ---
> LTKK/ti4      ---> .satan, oscillate my metallic sonataS  <---
> Vote against spam in EU @ http://www.politik-digital.de/spam

thank's Esa.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: sh help needed to determine time of day
Date: 14 Nov 2000 00:30:44 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark Worsdall wrote:
> I need to determine the time of day, which then
> determines which dialup number to add.

(Warning: untested code.)

You can get the hour (between 00 and 23, inclusive) by using the (silly?)
command line

HOUR=$(date | awk '{print $4}' | awk -F: '{print $1}')

> # Daytime number (Between 8am and 6pm)
> # /sbin/isdnctrl addphone ippp0 out 084409xxxxx
>
> # Nighttime number (Between 6pm and 8am)
> # /sbin/isdnctrl addphone ippp0 out 084404xxxxx
>
> so how would one do this in #! /bin/sh

Then you can use the arithmetic "-lt" and "-gt" operators with "test";
something like

if [ $HOUR -lt 8 ] || [ $HOUR -gt 17 ]; then
    # it's nighttime
    PHONENUMBER=084404xxxxx
else
    # it's daytime
    PHONENUMBER=084409xxxxx
fi
/sbin/isdnctrl addphone ippp0 out $PHONENUMBER

From: Brando <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: UPDATE: PM Error 105 Please Look: Results of `fdisk -l /dev/hda`
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:42:37 GMT

Eric asked me to post the result of `fdisk -l /dev/hda`

So, here it is:

> Disk /dev/hda: 240 heads, 63 sectors, 776 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 15120 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot     Start             End          Blocks            Id        System
> /dev/hda2   *         39             775         5571216           b        Win95
>FAT32

I've deleted the Linux (non-dos) partition. All that is left is Win98. It boots just
fine
into Win98.

So, what should I do? PM still errors out as before.

Brando

------------------------------

From: "Brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installation screnshots
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:52:58 GMT

I am looking for a site which has screenshots of a linux installation which
I need for a project. I don't care what flavour of Linux as long as the
pictures are clear and show the full installation

delta

------------------------------

From: "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: unknown printer...broken pipe...help
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 05:46:35 GMT

I cannot set up my Canon 4300 printer in RH 6.2.  I am not running X, so I
cannot use the printtool command and must do this by hand.  Why would I get
this error when I try to print a test page:

# ls -l | lpr -P4300   (where 4300 is the nane I assigned my printer)

lpr: 4300: 4300: unknown printer
Broken pipe

Printcap:
    :sd=/var/spool/lpd/4300:\
    :mx#:0:\
    :sh:\
    :lp=/dev/lp0:\
    :if=/var/spool/lpd/4300/filter:

Anyone know which i I did not dot?

Darren Welson

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest