Linux-Setup Digest #36, Volume #20               Tue, 14 Nov 00 11:13:17 EST

Contents:
  Re: loosing my ip address (ray)
  Re: Choice of mail engine ? ("ne...")
  RedHat 7.0 install gui problem (Bob V)
  Re: Where should I put .so ? (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?=)
  USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Windows Emulators vs. Dual Booting (a rosenberg)
  click should not raise problem (sawfish) (Bernhard Mogens Ege)
  Re: X graphic weakness (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?=)
  ldconfig (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?=)
  reiserfs in kernel 2.2.14 ("noel")
  Mandrake7.2 mouse problemes and multiple sound cards ("A.Bev")
  Re: WINE, VMware, Willows TWIN, etc. vs. Dual Booting (StephenLynch)
  how to get working PAM with LDAP ("Kamil Fabian")
  Re: auto power off (Maciej Golebiewski)
  Re: auto power off ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Where's my memory going? (Eric)
  Help w/ Cannon Printer (Christian)
  Linux install on Dell Poweredge 6300
  Re: X graphic weakness (Eric)
  Re: How do you record setting during setup? (Eric)
  Re: HELP: Dual OS: Win2000 and Redhat 7.0 (Eric)
  Re: auto power off (Raffael Herzog)
  Re: Substitutability (was: reduce memory usage in Linux) (Eric)

From: ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: loosing my ip address
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:33:20 GMT

Diesel wrote:

> Im wondering if this problem is on my end now...  Whenever I run pump -R it
> does not work
> If I run pump -s everything shows up fine, and it says my ip should renew
> one hour before it
> expires.  I assume that one hour before it expires pump -R is run from
> somewhere.
>
> All I can come up with
> If I can't run pump -R myself and get it to work, then that is where my
> problem is...
>
> Am I right on this, and am I going to have to do a reinstall, or do any of
> you have any place to start trouble shooting.  my eth0 config file looks
> good...
>
> Thanks..
>
> Diesel
>
> error I get on pump -R
> "operation failed"
>
> Diesel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:gmSP5.1333$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I do have At&t also... My linux box always seemed to work on here before
> > though...so I don't know if they changed something on there side, or is it
> > something wrong on my side?
> >
> > Also, I tried the pump -Rd -i eth0  and everytime it says operation failed
> > also tried
> > pump -R
> > pump -R -i eth0
> >
> > none of them work, it always says operoation failed..
> > Thanks for the help
> >
> > Diesel
> >

> > ray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> can't

> > excactly

> own
> > ip
> > nic
> > help

> > > I use a cron job that runs each hour to help with this. AT&T cable
> leases
> > > (here) are for 8 hours. Each hour, I run pump -Rd eth0. The R renews the
> > > lease, the d prevents overwriting my /etc/resolv.conf. I fear this may
> be
> > > temporary solution. I expect AT&T to force new IP's as soon as they
> think
> > of
> > > it. Pump itself, without this, should be running in your process list.
> Do
> > > pump -s and note that it wants to renew the lease one hour before it
> > expires.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Ray R. Jones
> > > Errors have been made. Others will be blamed.
> > > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > > HTTP://raymondjones.net

    It is certainly possible that the DHCP box has been configured in such a
way that it will NOT allow lease renewals. I expect this to happen here. I am
in Atlanta, and this AT&T is allowing me to renew the lease once an hour. That
doesn't mean yours is. We had 7 day leases under RoadRunner, but AT&T bought
them out and immediately changed to 8 hour leases. A call to them revealed that
they are "worried" about the IP pool depletion they are seeing. Have they sold
more seats than there are in the plane?  I would make some effort to get
another linux'er on the same cable to see what his experience is with this, as
if it is on their end, you will not be told about it, I betcha.

--

------------------------------

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Choice of mail engine ?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:52:30 GMT

On Nov 14, 2000 at 09:14, Colin Watson eloquently wrote:

>John Beardmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <8uniim$cs8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Colin Watson
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
>[sendmail, fetchmail, exim, postfix]
>>Thanks.  Are all these available free and with source code ?
>
>Yes, indeed; in particular, they're all in Debian's main distribution,
>which means that they're compliant with the Debian Free Software
>Guidelines (http://www.debian.org/social_contract#guidelines).
Colin olde chap, Mr Beardmore uses RH6.2 and not Debian. Nice
plug tho.

Mr Beardmore, you should be able to find source rpms for the
apps mentioned at rpmfind.net.

You have many friends and very few living enemies.
  8:50am  up  2:31,  9 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: Bob V <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 7.0 install gui problem
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:17:28 GMT

Hi everyone,

I hope this is the right board to post this on. Just bought the boxed
version of
Redhat 7.0. I have a 333Mhz Celeron system, 128Mb of ram, and an S3
Verge
chip graphics PCI card.

All I did was boot from the CD -ROM. I just hit return after the boot:
prompt came
up. After a bunch of initialization steps, the gui window finally
materialized. The problem
is that the window has "scratches" all over it making it hard to see the
text, and the mouse
cursor looks like a 1" square barcode instead of the normal small arrow
we're all used to.
Any clues.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where should I put .so ?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:27:34 +0100

now I did... :(

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:16:26 GMT

Okay guys...I am figuring the solution seems to be upgrading to one of
the new kernels (2.4 pre10 from what I've read - what new things have
been added to this version that fixes that? better pci support or
something?).

I figured I would give all the info I have and see if anyone had any
last minute suggestions before I dedicate my modem connection to a
large kernel download especially if it will only be replaced shortly
with a the released version.

Am I allowed to pick another COM port with setserial as long as my port
is right?  I seem to recall trying to set it to different COM ports and
setserial not allowing me to do that (but I will try one more time).

Something interesting...I tried using minicom and when it tried
initializing the modem, it took about 30 seconds, but it finally showed
the init string which minicom provided.  I tried dialing a number with
an ATDT command and it dialed the number after several seconds of
waiting on it.

I tried using that init string from within kppp but that did not seem
to work.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Eric Bresie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Here is my setup:

I am currently using Redhat 7.0 with a 2.2.17 kernel (with more than 4
com ports support enabled).  I have two Serial ports built in on my
motherboard, but I was not using one so I turned the second off in the
BIOS in an attempt to avoid possible conflicts with other hardware.  I
have a US Robotics PCI 56K Faxmodem (model 5610-rev 1 ; according to
lspci), which always displays as COM5 in Windows 98.

# cat /dev/proc:

  Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Serial controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 1).
      Vendor id=12b9. Device id=1008.
      Medium devsel.
      I/O at 0xb000 [0xb001].

# cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

setserial /dev/ttyS4 irq 9 port 0xb000 uart 16550A ^fourport ^auto_irq
skip_test autoconfig spd_vhi

Setup after start:

# setserial /dev/ttyS4
/dev/ttyS4, UART: 16550A, Port: 0xb000, IRQ: 2, Flags: spd_vhi

# lspci -v -v

00:0e.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
(rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
        Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com USR 56k Internal FAX Modem (Model
5610)
        Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

From: a rosenberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Windows Emulators vs. Dual Booting
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:28:23 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Some of my orginal post:
>
> > >On the laptop I am about to get (3gig HD, 32 Mb RAM, P 233Mh Compaq
> > >Armada 1592)  I can either make it dual boot: ~2 Gig Linux & ~700
> > >Mb Win95 (+ 128 Mb Linux Swap?) or use WINE or other Windows
> > > emulator to install Word & Excel on
> > >(moving to MySQL from Access - yes!!!  :-)
> > >
> > >I see having two OSes as a real waste of space (although Win95 can
> > >install in just about 110Mb on my desktop)  and do not want to bother
> > >doing everything twice and having to reboot, etc.
> > >
> > >So:
> > >Why do people dual boot when there are emulators?  From my searches,
> > >it
> > >does seem they are a slower then the 'real thing'.  How noticable on
> > >the Word '97 front?  I do not play games, and hence this is entirely
> > >a non-issue.
>
> <snip>
>
> Robert's reply on WINE vs. win4lin vs vmware:
>
> > resource:- wine runs OK in 32Mb, as does win4lin - I've run both
> > happily
> <snip>
> > on smaller machines eg 24Mb DX4-100s. vmware needs 96Mb minimum and
> > moans if the cpu is slower than 266MHz
> <snip>
> > Test comparisons (made on a 112Mb 686-M2-300) for details track down
> > Go try em all ( but I now stick with wine and win4lin)
>
> Robert -
>
> Thank you, most informative on the differences in the various windows
> emulators.
>
> Do you (or anyone else) have information on the performance of Windows
> Emulators vs a "real" Win95 install on another partion?
>
> Issues:
> - Speed for Word97 & Excel
> - Relative stability :-)
> - Disk Space Requirements
> - How well they can render Word'97 & Excel Applications
>
> Thanks!
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I have win98 installed both freestanding and under win4lin.  Latter is
very slightly slower than the former. However, starting and restarting
windows is many times faster than 'native' installation.  Also, easy to
recover when windows locks up.  "Look and feel" is the same.  Some
limitations, such as lack of sound, etc. (see release notes on
www.trelos.com).

Art Rosenberg

Art Rosenberg

------------------------------

Subject: click should not raise problem (sawfish)
From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:36:05 GMT

I am having trouble with sawfish (windowmanager). I am trying to avoid
having my windows raised when I click in them.

I found this shortcut in the control center:

Sawfish window manager -> Shortcuts -> Window
Key: Button1-Click1
Command: Raise transients and pass through click

Now, this is what happens: I click and the windows is raised and
focused (already focused because of enter-exit focus behavious).

If I remove the mentioned shortcut, I still have my enter-exit focus,
but my mouse clicks aren't registered anymore. I can see the windows
react to the mouse movement (scrollbars highlighting) and the mouse
pointer shape changing, but not clicks are registered in the
applications.

Why is that? Isn't it possible to pass clicks to applications without
having to raise the windows they are in?

Please help, as this is driving me nuts.

I am using sawfish-0.30.3 on RedHat 7.0.

regards,

Bernhard Ege

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X graphic weakness
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:43:19 +0100

> > > What are you using (XFree86-4.0, what card)?
> >
> > "ATI Rage Pro"
>

> Eric Wrote :
> Then skip the mach64 server and start using the ati server IIRC

Ok this seems to be a lead

> the link
> /etc/X points to the server you are using, delete it, and create the ne=
> link.

, but I never "created a link" I just read about "ln"
command in prompt shell and that's all
And I don't know what you mean by "X points"
you have to indicate me the full file name, or I'll have to search the we=
b... ?

> Make sure the contents of your XF86Config file match your
> hardware!

ok.. :c

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ldconfig
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:49:39 +0100

I just moved a .so for WACOM tablet into /lib/ and ran ldconfig from the
konsole in gui, then restarted, artpad doesn't react.
I had no confirmation message nor error message to ldconfig command...

the .so strangely has a sheet as icon, is that my problem?

how do I prevent the start of GUI after boot?

in help files is there a serach engine that may perform text searches
thru all links?

From: "noel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: reiserfs in kernel 2.2.14
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:56:50 -0000

I am trying to compile a new kernel on my suse 6.4 box -- getting rid of all
the hardware
that I don't need compiled into the kernel.

Only problem is I cannot find the option for "reiserFs" anywhere so the new
Kernel
does'nt work for me!

I had said N to "Code maturity level"  and thinking this might be the
problem set it
back to Y   ---- but still no "reiserfs" option.

Am I missing something?    I looked into the Makefile as well but cannot see
any hints.

can anybody shine some light on this.

Noel

------------------------------

From: "A.Bev" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Mandrake7.2 mouse problemes and multiple sound cards
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:00:23 +0100

Hello people, what a nice day for questions. I have the following
problems, if someone could help me.

I just installed Mandrake 7.2, everything seems to run smooth, excpet
one thing. When ever i run KwinTv or Xwatv, then, my mouse stops
responding to the clicks inside the program (i can't click anything
inside kwintv). I tried to change mouse, but it didn't work. Same
problem. Anyone has anyidea ?
Another problem i had was the following. The same application froze my
keyboard, and KDE2, i could just move the mouse around, but no way to
de-log from X11, nor kill the window manager with Cntrl-Alt-Backspace,
nor change terminal with cntrl-alt-Fx. In KDE1 there was a button to
delog from KDE, whenever things like that happened, were is it on KDE2 ?

(BTW the kill icon didn't work at all).

My second question is : How does linux manage 2 soundcards. I have 2
soundcards, one SB for allday use, and one Guillemot Fortissimo (based
on Yamaha chipset) for it's optical out whenever i want to record on a
MiniDisc.
How to i choose wich module to load, depending on wich card i want to
use. I can't just edit everytime my conf.modules (modules.conf) file.
Anyone with an idea ?
Thanks to everyone who has been patient with my post

------------------------------

From: StephenLynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: WINE, VMware, Willows TWIN, etc. vs. Dual Booting
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 14:57:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  robert w hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <8upd1v$9c1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes
>
> Ah right in my element. I think your options are wine, win4lin,
vmware.

> cost:-  wine is free, win4lin is $39 (but there is a 15 day demo),
> vmware is $99 (but there is a 30 day demo).
>
> resource:- wine runs OK in 32Mb, as does win4lin - I've run both h

Let's not forget Plex86 (aka - FreeMWare).  Of course, if you can get it
to compile...

The latest releases of Wine have been great for me.  Relatively fast
(obviously a program like Office that already takes 20 seconds to load,
takes at least 25 in an emulator - but otherwise l'm very happy with
it).  There are only 2 programs l've tried that didn't work well:  AOL
and Flash exe's.  But l just use that as an excuse not to use AOL, and
for people to not send me those dumb little cartoon attatchments they
all think are so cute...

From: "Kamil Fabian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to get working PAM with LDAP
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:26:33 +0100

I'm tryin' to run PAM with LDAP but i'm absolutely newbie in it's
configuration. Have RH6.2, LDAP v 2.0.6 . In ldbm database have some
records, but authentication doesn't working anyway. Can somebody help me
with dependencies in config files or ..?

Lot of thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: Maciej Golebiewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: auto power off
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:19:35 +0100

Fokkema DBRA wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just upgraded from RH6.2 to RH7.0 and I noticed something slightly irritating.
> When I shut down my system under RH6.2 the kernel automatically powered down
> the system. Under RH7.0, it just halts the system. Why is this? Is it a kernel
> problem (just switch this option and recompile?) or do I have to edit some
> file or is it something else?
>
> Hope that someone can help.

I think the power-off used to be a feature of older RedHat kernels.
On a RH 6.0 and 6.2 systems I tried kernels compiled both from RH
sources and pristine. The config for kernels was the same in both
cases. RH kernels would power off, the pristine not. I was too lazy
though to track down the code in RH responsible for that.

Maciej

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:22:39 -0000

In comp.os.linux.development.system Fokkema DBRA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I just upgraded from RH6.2 to RH7.0 and I noticed something slightly irritating.
| When I shut down my system under RH6.2 the kernel automatically powered down
| the system. Under RH7.0, it just halts the system. Why is this? Is it a kernel
| problem (just switch this option and recompile?) or do I have to edit some
| file or is it something else?

I'd sure like to know what to do to get it to power off.  I'm not using
Redhat, but I could make this work if I knew what setting to give to the
kernel to make it do it.

--

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where's my memory going?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:29:54 +0100

Vinko Vrsalovic wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Ok, this is weird.  When I boot the machine, my memory test goes up to
> > 128Meg, which is what I would expect since that's what I bought the
> > machine with.  However, I've just recently noticed that top, asmem and
> > other memory-load checkers are reporting only 64Meg.  What's going on?
> > Am I missing something obvious?  I thought my machine was spending lots
> > of time grinding on the hard disks, and it appears that X is taking up
> > 86% of my memory leaving only about 12Meg or so for all my apps -- no
> > wonder I'm swapping so much!
>
> Is you kernel compiled for 128 Megs?

What do you mean with this?
There's a compile option if you want to go over 1G RAM, but anything
below will be no problem.

You just need to tell the kernel how much memory there is, if the BIOS
reports this value wrong, otherwise there's no problem at all.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Christian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help w/ Cannon Printer
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 10:34:47 -0500

I cannot get my Cannon BJ-10ex printer to do anything. I have RH 6.1 and
have used printtool but can't get any test pages to print.I have the
resolution at 360X360 like under Windows and have look at the dipwitches
on the printer. The HOW-Too says the BJ-10e should work.  Any help would
be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux install on Dell Poweredge 6300
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 15:30:03 -0000

I have been attempting to install Linux on a Dell Poweredge 6300 which has
the following configuration:
     1 GB RAM
     5 9 GB UW SCSI drives connected to an Adaptec 7890 controller on MB.
     Unused Adaptec 7890 controller on MB
     CD-ROM connected to Adaptec 7860 controller on MB.
     Intel EEPro 100 NIC
     ATI Rage II Pro video adapter.

I have tried installing several Linux distributions with no success.  The
installation appeared to work flawlessly in each case, but Linux failed to
come up upon rebooting after the install.

Mandrake 7.1 halted with the message:
     "INIT: ID # respawning to fast: disabled for 5 minutes"
where # appeared for each SCSI drive and the sequence repeated after 5
minutes.

Red Hat 6.1 and 7.0 both reported the following:
     "Warning: unable to open an initial console"
     "Kernel Panic: No init found.  Try passing init= option to kernel.

Turbolinux 6.0 does not even start to boot, the machine hangs as soon as
it accesses the OS.

I have changed settings on the SCSI controller with no effect.  I also
connected another drive to the 7860 controller and tried to use it as my
boot drive with no effect.

I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone could offer as to what the
problem might be.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:33:49 +0100

Frère Orphée wrote:

> > > "ATI Rage Pro"
> >

> > Eric Wrote :
> > Then skip the mach64 server and start using the ati server IIRC
>
> Ok this seems to be a lead
>
> > the link
> > /etc/X points to the server you are using, delete it, and create the new
> > link.
>
> , but I never "created a link" I just read about "ln"
> command in prompt shell and that's all
> And I don't know what you mean by "X points"
> you have to indicate me the full file name, or I'll have to search the web... ?

No this is done automatically for you when you setup X.
You can look at the link I mentioned (/etc/X) it'll point to an
Xserver/video card driver
Just `ls -l /etc/X` will show you where it points to. In the directory
where this link points to, there are other servers. Recreate the link,
to let it point to the new server.
(I don't know by heart where they are, so I cannot be more detailed)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do you record setting during setup?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:35:35 +0100

Peter wrote:

> Is it possible to have Mandrake or similar distros record all the
> settings and options selected during setup so they can then be
> inserted in to documentation for future setups?
>
> The information recorded would have to be in a form that related to
> the setup screens so a subsequent worker can read the setup
> documentation and see exactly what to click at each screen.
>
> Lists of changes to individual configuration files would not help if
> they were set up by an option like "workstation".

I think you want to take a look at the quickstart option that RH (and
others?) supply.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP: Dual OS: Win2000 and Redhat 7.0
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:38:55 +0100

Edward Berry wrote:

> Thanks, Eric,
> I don't expect to be recompiling the Kernel any time soon, so that
> may not be a problem. The other two sugestions- adding the rest of the
> systems to Lilo's list, or uninstalling Lilo and obtaining a bootsector
> I can give the NT loader, sound more within my capacity.
> Still, I'ld like to know where I missed the Lilo setup options during
> installation!

I only know the expert mode, then IIRC it's right after you choose the
timezone you're in.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Raffael Herzog <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: 14 Nov 2000 16:40:41 +0100

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.development.system Fokkema DBRA
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> | I just upgraded from RH6.2 to RH7.0 and I noticed something
> | slightly irritating.  When I shut down my system under RH6.2 the
> | kernel automatically powered down the system. Under RH7.0, it just
> | halts the system. Why is this? Is it a kernel problem (just switch
> | this option and recompile?) or do I have to edit some file or is
> | it something else?
>
> I'd sure like to know what to do to get it to power off.  I'm not
> using Redhat, but I could make this work if I knew what setting to
> give to the kernel to make it do it.

This one may help (it applies to SuSE but it's quite general):

http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/en/html/apm.html

--
Raffael Herzog
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

May the penguin be with you!

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Substitutability (was: reduce memory usage in Linux)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:41:17 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > To me the most stupid rule in the book.
> > > When I upgrade and double my RAM , I must double swap partition size
> > > as well??
> > > Seems to me like the upgraded box would require less in stead of
> > >more
> > > swap space
>
> This brings up the issue:
>
> How substitutable are "real" RAM and Swap Space in Linux?
>
> In the installation for Peanut, it say to create a swap file that
> brings the total of RAM & Swap to 32Mb ir something.  This indicates
> there is a full 1 to 1 substitutabiltiy.
>
> Am I right in guessing:
> functionally substitutable  BUT  RAM is accessed much quicker.
>
> Thanks?
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Not entirely, some memory stuff (kernel eg.) cannot be swapped out. For
most other processes (unless they use a pagelock) it is correct

Eric

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest