Linux-Setup Digest #36, Volume #19               Thu, 29 Jun 00 14:13:12 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Backspace doesn't work properly in vi ? (Villy Kruse)
  gtk problems in compiling ("ZephyrQ")
  Re: Where's the kernal source? (Villy Kruse)
  kernel ("bLACK")
  Re: Installing from source... (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: Strange Lilo "LI" problems (Daniil Kolpakov)
  Re: making a new partition with Fips ("Lynn R. Ziegler")
  Re: How to uninstall boot manager (DeAnn Iwan)
  Re: Dual Boot - 2 Drives (DeAnn Iwan)
  Re: gtk problems in compiling (Colin Watson)
  Re: Dual Boot - 2 Drives (Michael Garabaldi)
  help: lilo and ex2fsprogs (Atul)
  DSL Question... (Bryan Roseberry)
  Re: Sound on Omnibook laptop. (Juergen Sauer)
  Re: X Install Problem: "X startup failed, falling back to text mode" (Red Hat 6.2)
(Craig Kelley)
  Re: "screen" problems while using a vt320 (Pete Zaitcev)
  Can telnet to my IP, but localhost works. (Yong Zhao)
  Re: Can telnet to my IP, but localhost works. (Yong Zhao)
  Re: "screen" problems while using a vt320 (Matthew Miller)
  DSL question in Arizona... (Bryan Roseberry)
  Re: Can't Boot from Compiled Kernel (2.2.13) ("Mark VanBogart")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Backspace doesn't work properly in vi ?
Date: 29 Jun 2000 15:15:58 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:25:12 +0200, Ed Bras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I use WinXPro and backspace doesn't work properly in vi. It generates ^?
>It only happens when using XWinPro.

stty erase '^?'

Should fix that.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "ZephyrQ" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: gtk problems in compiling
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:16:18 GMT

        I hope someone can help with this.

        I've been trying for the last 2 weeks to compile programs..but everytime I do,
I get the following:

checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.3... Headers vs. library version mismatch!         no
 configure: error:
Please check that gtk-config is in path, the directory
where GTK+ libraries are installed (returned by
'gtk-config --libs' command) is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
equivalent variable and GTK+ is version 1.2.3 or above.

                 or

 checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.6... *** GTK+ header files (version 1.2.7) do not
match
 *** library (version 1.2.8)
 no
 configure: error: Cannot find GTK: Is gtk-config in path?

        Yes, I *have* made sure that gtk-config is in the path.  I've
removed/reinstalled
gtk numerous times.  I've made sure that there are no broken links.  I've checked
everything I could possibly recall to check.

        It mentions that the header files are not matching...is there a way to edit
these files?

        Thanx.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Where's the kernal source?
Date: 29 Jun 2000 15:20:31 GMT

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:58:56 GMT, Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 06:31:32 -0500, "Ken & Sue Krozel"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I've downloaded a new driver for my soundcard, and need to recompile the
>>modules.  I looked in the /usr/src directory as instructed, but find no
>>"linux" directory, only "linux-2.2.13" placed there during my Mandrake 6.5
>>install.  This directory has only an "include" sudirectory, and NONE of the
>>make files etc necessary to "make modules".  How can I compile the new
>>module?  I've read that I shouldn't have to recompile the kernal to install
>>a new module...true?
>
>/usr/src/linux is usually a link to the appropriate /usr/src/linux*
>directory. In your case, /usr/src/linux should (would) link to
>/usr/src/linux-2.2.13. You can add the link yourself, or not.

But first the linux source package needs to be installed, and it would
be strange if can't be found on the install CD.

Villy

------------------------------

From: "bLACK" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:37:05 GMT

How do you config the kernel in mandrake 7.0???
tried make config, make menuconfig & make xconfig but keep getting a
parramiters error please help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: Installing from source...
Date: 29 Jun 2000 11:54:54 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, steveFarris wrote:
> Hi, when upgrading a package by compiling source code how do you get rid
> of the old stuff and replace it with new. For instance, if i upgrade
> gnome from 0.6 to 1.2, there is a ton of stuff on the system related to
> the gnome 0.6 version. I can't really track it all down and delete it
> manually, but it really oughta be gone after installing the new stuff.
> How do y'all take care of this situation when you are installing from
> source code. No RPM or nothin' like that??

You track it all down and delete it manually.  (Some packages, however,
support a "make uninstall" target.)

That is one rationale for package-management systems.

--
Paul Kimoto

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat
From: Daniil Kolpakov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange Lilo "LI" problems
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 15:03:30 GMT

OK I see.

--
                                                        Daniil Kolpakov
                                                     mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Lynn R. Ziegler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: making a new partition with Fips
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:04:56 GMT

Far be it for a Linux fan to recommend commercial software
but in this case -- I think Partition Magic is one of the
best utility programs I have ever used and will handle your
problem easily. It is also cheap (and sold at discount stores
like Best Buy). Although designed for the OS of the Evil
Empire, you can run it completely from 2 floppies and it
knows all about ext2 and swap partitions.

Lynn R. Ziegler

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to uninstall boot manager
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:02:23 -0400

    Use windows/dos fdisk:  "fdisk /mbr".  That will reset the master
boot record.

------------------------------

From: DeAnn Iwan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Boot - 2 Drives
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:05:45 -0400

  Yes.  However, some BIOS will only see the first 2 IDE drives.  If you
have a cdrom installed as slave on the first controller (hdb), they may
not recognize the second hard drive (on hdc) as a bootable drive.  Also,
Win9x will seek forever if it sees the second drive but does not find
something of its own on it (or an empty drive).  {will someone PLEASE
compile a patch into the kernel and submit it to Bill for inclusion in
the main tree!!!!)  The solution here is to put a tiny FAT partition on
the second drive.  Read the dual boot howtos for other gotchas.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: gtk problems in compiling
Date: 29 Jun 2000 16:06:48 GMT

ZephyrQ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.6... *** GTK+ header files (version
>1.2.7) do not match
> *** library (version 1.2.8)

[...]

>       Yes, I *have* made sure that gtk-config is in the path.  I've
>removed/reinstalled gtk numerous times.  I've made sure that there are
>no broken links.  I've checked everything I could possibly recall to
>check.
>
>       It mentions that the header files are not matching...is there a
>way to edit these files?

They're human-readable (as is more or less everything in /usr/include),
but just changing the version number is a bad idea. According to the
error message above, you have version 1.2.8 of the library itself and
version 1.2.7 of the corresponding -dev or -devel package; you should
bring these into sync properly.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"Ah, young webmaster ... Java leads to Shockwave. Shockwave leads to

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Garabaldi)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:23:42 GMT

Thanks for the info! Both hard drives are on the primary IDE. I have a
DVD/CD player as master on the secondary IDE and a Travan Tape Drive
as a slave on the secondary IDE. Are the Dual Boot gotchas in a FAQ
somewhere or must I continue to scan this news group? Also are there
any other news groups that I should be looking at pertaining to this
topic?

------------------------------

From: Atul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help: lilo and ex2fsprogs
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:13:02 -0400

hi:
 I am building a linux system manually (www.linuxfromscratch.org) and i
have most of the essential packages installed.
However i cant seem to get lilo or ex2fsprogs to install.

when i "make" lilo21-4.4, i get this error:

...some messages...
ld86 -0 -s -o first.img first.so
ld86: first.o has bad magic number
make *** [first.img] Error 2

when i "make" e2fsprogs-1.18, i get this:

...lots of messages...
../../../lib/ext2fs/swapfs.c : In function 'ext2fs_swap_node':
../../../lib/ext2fs/swapfs.c:119:subscripted value is neither array nor
pointer
(repeats for swapfs.c:120-122)
make[1]: *** [swapfs.o] Error 1
make: *** [all-libs-recursive] Error 1

what could be the problem?
thanks in advance.
-atul

------------------------------

From: Bryan Roseberry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DSL Question...
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 09:31:37 -0700

Where can I go to find out what modems - external and internal - are DSL
compatible? I want to have DSL here and I don't want USWest to send me a
modem that isn't Linux compatible.

Bryan J

------------------------------

From: Juergen Sauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound on Omnibook laptop.
Date: 29 Jun 2000 15:17:39 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb
am Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:06 GMT in comp.os.linux.setup:
wcmcc> From: "William C. Mount" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

wcmcc> I recently aquired an HP Omnibook 4150.  It has a Neomagic 256V
wcmcc> soundcard.  does anyone have any info on setting these up under
wcmcc>  redhat
wcmcc> 6.2  anyhelp would be great!!

This is a 4150. This has a Neomagic (=NoMagic) chipset.
Neomagic is in general Incompatible to Linux. It is not supported.

There is a dirty hacked driver in recent kernels, but those are known
only to work on specific notebooks. Mostly not.

The best way could be to register on the HP-Website for Linux
support and ask for the driver directly HP.

HP bigmouth marketing guys cried they will support. So let the
bigmoths do the job.

If you can exchange the 4150 Model to a 4150B, then all will be fine!

The 4150B has a Maestro 2e soundchip. I have dumped Wishit (I refused to
accept the MS Licence, EULA) and formated the hd now it's pure Linux
and I'm happy with it.

OK, Again for all Notebook manufacturer, and User:
        DO NOT USE, BUY, SELL NEOMAGIC junk.

That's trash for Linux Useres because NeoMagic
has no linux support at all.

Any Notbeook with NeoMAgic equipment has to be BOycotted.

mfG
        Jürgen Sauer

--
- Professionelle Linux Server,   Professioneller Support und Dienstleistungen
- AutomatiX GmbH  - Vollautomatische Kransteuerungen & SAP fähiges Lagergerät

------------------------------

Subject: Re: X Install Problem: "X startup failed, falling back to text mode" (Red Hat
6.2)
From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 29 Jun 2000 10:38:21 -0600

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> During the install of Red Hat 6.2 (in graphics
> mode), the following message pops up...
>
> "X startup failed, falling back to text mode."
>
> The installation completes, and Linux does run
> okay.  But it appears that X did not install.  When
> I look in the /usr/X11R6/bin directory, I see only
> these 5 files:
>
> fsinfo   fslsfonts    fstodbf    mkfontdir    xfs
>
> There is no "startx" file, or any other files,
> in /usr/X11R6/bin.  What am I doing wrong?
> How can I get X installed?  I'm willing to
> do a complete reinstall if that's the easiest
> way.

1) Mount the RedHat CDROM

2) Change to the RPMS directory (eg. /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS)

3) Install XFree86:

rpm -i XFree86* Xconfigurator* xpm*

(that will install *all* the servers and *all* the fonts, but you
probably don't need the extra-language fonts, and you really only need
one server)

Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Zaitcev)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: "screen" problems while using a vt320
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:46:02 GMT

I use screen on vt-320 and it is almost fully functional, however
rapid region scrolling can cause image corruption (noticeable with slrn).

My version is:
Screen version 3.07.04 (FAU) 23-Jun-97

Try to recompile screen yourself. This is what I have done.
Also, my screen segfaulted on libc5, the problem fixed itself
when I switched to glibc 2.0.7 (running glibc 2.1.3 now).

Also make sure that you have x-on/x-off set right in the terminal setup.

--Pete

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:01:36 -0500
From: Yong Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can telnet to my IP, but localhost works.

Hi, I'm using xinetd instead of inetd, now I can telnet to localhost, or
127.0.0.1
but I can't telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (my  IP)

why is that?

Thanks.

by the  way, here is telnet related config:

service telnet
{
        flags                           = REUSE
        socket_type             = stream
        wait                            = no
        user                            = root
        server                  = /usr/etc/in.telnetd
        bind                            = 192.231.139.175
        redirect                        = 128.138.202.20 23
        log_on_failure += USERID
}

What is bind and redirect for..

Thanks.

Yong

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 12:08:15 -0500
From: Yong Zhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can telnet to my IP, but localhost works.

Sorry , subject  is
 Can NOT telnet to my IP, but localhost works.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Miller)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 17:26:12 GMT

Hi Pete,

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 16:46:02 GMT, Pete Zaitcev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I use screen on vt-320 and it is almost fully functional, however
>rapid region scrolling can cause image corruption (noticeable with slrn).

Well, I'm glad to know that it works for someone :)

>My version is:
>Screen version 3.07.04 (FAU) 23-Jun-97
>
>Try to recompile screen yourself. This is what I have done.
>Also, my screen segfaulted on libc5, the problem fixed itself
>when I switched to glibc 2.0.7 (running glibc 2.1.3 now).

I compiled it myself from the sources and my glibc is 2.1.2.

>Also make sure that you have x-on/x-off set right in the terminal setup.

Hum, the comm. setup with the terminal right now is that xoff is off. I also
tested the settings with xoff set to 64 and 128. No change.

What is your xoff setting? Are there any other relevant settings I should
look at? I'm almost desperate enough to recompile screen with debugging
symbols and sic gdb on it! But, I'm not to that point yet. It is really
bothersome to get no output from screen or error messages :(

Thanks for your help.

Matthew

--
Sometimes, the best applause lies in knowing you have offended a fool.
         -- Anonymous

------------------------------

From: Bryan Roseberry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DSL question in Arizona...
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 10:33:51 -0700

I have Linux and I want to get DSL from USWest in Arizona. What hardware
should I get? External or internal modem? Any suggestions about
preparing for an install?

Change the ! in the email address to a w to respond...

Thanks!

Bryan

------------------------------

From: "Mark VanBogart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Can't Boot from Compiled Kernel (2.2.13)
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 13:10:25 -0500

Yes, both kernels are at / so this should not be a problem.
"smp root" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> just wondered... where is the kernel you compiled stored???
>
> your lilo.conf says it is at the root of your root partition, is
> it actually there????

> Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
> Up to 100 minutes free!
> http://www.keen.com

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest