  disgusted with passwd, PAM and Redhat (LinuxTest)

From: "Paul Steckler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Restoring RH 6.2 /usr/src/linux tree
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:11:38 -0600

> rpm -U --force kernel-source-2.2.14-5.0.i386.rpm

Thanks, works great.

-- Paul

------------------------------

From: Kjell Magne Fagerbakke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Help installing KDE 2.0!!!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:20:18 -0500

Could you please enlighten us with problems also? Do we use the wrong
files. I can't get pass the login, but gets no error messages. Where to
look for them?

km

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Redhat 6.2 install...Need Help .. Urgent
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:26:11 GMT

Hi! I have Intel 810 Chip machine and have installed Linux Redhat6.2
server version.  Can I get X windows running on this system??

I tried using the Custom Installation of the Server but my machine
halts during the installation and it doesnot work at all, so I have
picked the Server Installation and now after installing server version,
I would like to install X Windows System,

Can anyone help me please!!!>>>??

Urgent!!

Thanks
CS

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Jul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux
Subject: ga-5aa (ALi M1542 & M1543C AGPset) and ata 66
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:55:05 GMT

Hi everybody,

Kernel is 2.2.16. + patch, compiled with ALi support.

ga-5aa na Ali (ALi M1542 & M1543C AGPset).
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/products/products.htm

At the boot time BIOS give me following message:
"
   DD-03-44 FUJITSU MPD3084 AT
           ULTRA DMA MODE-4, S.M.A.R.T  Capable but Disabled.
"
In BIOS setup is no option for S.M.A.T.R.

I find following info in  boot.msg:
"
<4>PCI_IDE: unknown IDE controller on PCI bus 00 device 78, VID=10b9,
DID=5229
<4>PCI_IDE: not 100%% native mode: will probe irqs later
<4>PCI_IDE: simplex device:  DMA disabled
<4>ide0: PCI_IDE Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
<4>PCI_IDE: simplex device:  DMA disabled
<4>ide1: PCI_IDE Bus-Master DMA disabled (BIOS)
<4>hda: FUJITSU MPD3084AT, ATA DISK drive
"

Any suggestion, and cc: at
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
will be greatly appreciate

_j

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: HELP!! Partition Magic Error 105. PartitionInfo inside: Please look!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:01:20 +0100

> I don't know Partition Magic.  I would suggest that you try to run a rescue
> disk first before reinstalling.  I know the RedHat cdrom will run as a
> rescue disk; so try that with your mandrake disk.  type 'linux rescue' at
> the boot prompt unless it gives some different instructions on your disk.
> If that doesn't work, use Windows to download and install tomsrtbt on a
> floppy.  http://www.toms.net/rb/ .  That's good to have around anyway.
>
> Once you have linux in RAM, which is what the rescue disk does, you can run
> a couple of things.
>
> fdisk -l /dev/hda - this will give you a partition table and possibly the same
> information as you got with
>
> e2fsck /dev/hda?  where ? is the partition number of your root (/boot) for
> linux. If you have a separate /boot partition, be sure to run it on that
> too.  It doesn't look like you do.  I see that you have that OS/2 partition
> at the start, and I don't know what that is.  I just inherited a server that
> has a small partition like that at the start of the drive and it is a sort
> of bios; so you better not destroy that partition.  If e2fsck fixes things,
> good.  If not, and you want to reinstall linux, you do not need to
> repartition to do it.  You just reinstall and use that same partition that
> is already there.
>
> I would not use PM for partitioning, but then I've never used it.  I just
> read all the problems from people who do.  There are probably lots of folks
> using it successfully though.

*REMOVED IRRELEVANT AND NON-EXISTING NG'S*

I feel that I have to reply to you again, Anita

PM is hardly ever the cause of problems. Most problems you've read about
are merely found after using PM, instead of being created by it. I've
seen several bad/corrupt partition tables, of people, that never had a
problem with their PC. Or at least so it appears, but eventually a bad
partition table is the ticket to trouble.

If you would *only* use PM it would be very unlikely that you have a
partition table problem. Use multiple fdisk programs or other programs
that manipulate your partition table is far more dangerous. I myself
always use linux fdisk, and no other program to create a table. But I
try to be (almost) as strict as PM when setting up a partition table.
For manipulating existing partition tables I use PM. (But am willing to
give parted a try too once)

PM is good software (and up till recently the only choice) that will not
corrupt your partition table (Maybe it can, but I've never heard of it)
It will fail on lots of existing tables due to either errors in this
table, or due to the strict rules it follows.

Be aware that partition tables are very difficult, since they are the
only thing OS's really must share and agree upon.

Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Loadlin compatible with WinME?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:56:44 -0500

Can I use Loadlin in WinME to boot my linux partition?  The how-to's say I
should edit the properties of the bat file to require switching to MSDOS
mode, but that option no longer exists under WinME.  I'd just try it, but I
wonder if there is any harm to be done here...

tia,
Eric

------------------------------

From: "Dr. Jason J. Hogan-O'Neill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Sound Drivers.... help !!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:02:45 +0200

==============405C537E87EE72FD8C00B629

HERENT Gael wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to know if somebody have linux' drivers for the sound
> chipset of
> the i820 motherboard (AC97).
> Thank you.

                     "THE ACADEMIC SITE"
          NEW PhD DATABASE - VISIT: WWW.ACADEMIC.ST

If I were you I woudl just get the ALSA drivers (www.alsa-project.org). I have intel
i810

and that is supposed to work just dandy with the 2.2.17 kernel. I got the ALSA drivers
and

after some dedicated evenings I got them working. Teh instructions arent THAT clear
but its

goign to be a damn sight easier than trying to get your distro to get it all working.

Jas

=======================

 Dr. J.J. Hogan-O'Neill

==============405C537E87EE72FD8C00B629

HERENT Gael wrote:

<pre>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 "THE ACADEMIC SITE"&nbsp;&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; NEW PhD DATABASE - VISIT:
WWW.ACADEMIC.ST&nbsp;
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
</pre>

<pre>If I&nbsp;were you I&nbsp;woudl just get the ALSA&nbsp;drivers
(www.alsa-project.org). I&nbsp;have intel i810</pre>

<pre>and that is supposed to work just dandy with the 2.2.17 kernel. I&nbsp;got the
ALSA&nbsp;drivers and</pre>

<pre>after some dedicated evenings I&nbsp;got them working. Teh instructions arent
THAT&nbsp;clear but its</pre>

<pre>goign to be a damn sight easier than trying to get your distro to get it all
working.</pre>

<pre>Jas

=======================</pre>

<pre>&nbsp;Dr. J.J. Hogan-O'Neill&nbsp;
</pre>

From: Frederick Artiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: HELP!! Diskdrake cannot see partitions on drive! What do I do??
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:13:09 GMT

Suggest a reinstall of Linux. When doing the reinstall, delete all
partitions thru fdsik other than /dev/hda1 which is your Windows
partition. Then proceed with the install, recreating the needed
partitions. I'm wondering also if your cylinder/track/sector count got
messed up. If so, rewrite me.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: win98 runs slow after reinstall of eDesktop 2.4
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:39:58 +0100

Alfia wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> After reinstalling the eDesktop 2.4, everything on the win98 partition
> seems running very slowly.  I wonder if the reinstallation of linux has
> somehow affected the way win98 retrieve data on the hard drive.
> The scenario of my hard drive is shown as follow:
> 3 OSs are on a 10.2GB hard drive.  They are win98 (32-bit, 5GB), Corel
> linux (1.5GB), and Caldera eDesktop 2.4 (3.5 GB).  Win98 is a primary
> partition.  The two linuxs are in separate logical partitions within an
> extended partition.
>
> Could anyone explain to me why it happen?  and how to solve the problem.
>   Thank you in advance.
>
> Alfia

could you post the result of `fdisk -l /dev/hda`

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Help!!
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:28:37 GMT

Hi,
  I am a beginner on learning Linux. In my PC, I've already installed
Win98. Now I also want to install linux in order to dual-boot between
2 os. But every time when i am going on the last stage of installation--
----"Lilo setup", whatever i do , Lilo can't be installed.
  If i choose to use SCSI device, it looks like being ok. But when the
computer reboots, i can only see many blinking lines on my screen,
which means i can neither work on win98, nor Linux.
  If i choose not to use SCSI device, Lilo can't be installed and SETUP
can't be finished.
  Because there are some bad sectors on my hard-disk, i wonder whether
Lilo is just going to be installed on those bad sectors, which leads
the problem i get stuck in.
  There is anyone to help me to point out the reason and a way to solve
this problem.
  (There is no any SCSI device on my computer.)
Thanks!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Triple boot with NT in second drive
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:00:42 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        BO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
> I decided to re-format the 1st drive and install all the OS in that and
> use the second for data later.
>
> I installed win98 and winnt4.0 as a dual-boot. after installing NT iam not
> able to boot windows.
>
> This is the setup of my computer
>
> C:  FAT16   500M
> D:  NTFS    4G    WinNT
> E:  FAT32   6G    Win98
>
> win98 was installed first. It worked fine. Then NT was installed to D:
> drive. Installation was fine and i could boot to NT. But when i select
> windows 98 from the NT loader Screen, it does not boot 98 and it gives an
> error 'WIN.com not found' and goes back to DOS screen. Could you please
> suggest me some solution.

Is E: a primary partition or a logical partition? If the latter, then
I'm surprised it ever worked. Windows insists on installing itself on a
primary partition.

It's also possible you've got some sort of problem because of having
three primary partitions -- Windows insists on having its partition be
marked "active," and I don't know offhand if NT's OS Loader handles
that. You might want to try a third-party boot loader. For cheap, you
can install Linux and use LILO (I assume you intend to do this anyhow,
given the group to which you posted). System Commander is commercial but
helps smooth out a lot of problems, in my experience.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: Andrey Shipsha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: tar for backup the whole system
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:14:20 +0100

I am trying to use 'tar' command to backup my whole Redhat system to
another machine's hard drive. It works just fine to backup my home
directory, e.g.

tar czvpf remote_host_name:/backup/backup.tar.gz /home/user

However, it doesn't obviously work if I want to tar the whole system as
an ordinary user. Such directories as /root are non-accessible for the
ordinary user.

I execute the above command with root permissions, e.g.

tar czvpf remote_host_name:/backup/backup.tar.gz /

then it doesn't work either because we are using Kerberos here and I
need a 'root' ticket...

Any suggestions how to overcome the problem being able to backup the
whole system to another machine's hard drive?

Is there any other way to do such backups but 'tar'?

Cheers,

Andrey.

------------------------------

From: "Arkady K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: INIT does not start
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:40:03 +0300

Hello, All!

I have following proglem:

I configured 2.2.16-22 kernel for 486 CPU, with ramdisk support....;
made ramdisk image with all necessary things for diskless linux box;
Then I copied kernel and ramdisk image to the IDE flash disk, installed
lilo...

All work fine at my Celeron500, 96 RAM computer, but then I replaced flash
disk
to the target computer (486DX100, 32 MBytes RAM) kernel
is loaded good but INIT doesn't start!!!
It looks like:
VFS: Mounted root (ext2 file system) readonly.
Freeing unused kernel memory: 48k freed
=======
And that all!  Loading stops. Kernel waits for something.
Anybody knows that is the problem?

Thanks.
Best Regards
Arkady K.

------------------------------

From: iksrazal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: set -o vi for r.h6.2?
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:27:46 +0000

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to fix the bashrc file to get this command to work?

thanks in advance,
iksrazal

------------------------------

From: Frederick Artiss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,aus.computers.linux,comp.mail.sendmail,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Linux SendMail Problem - Internet Email Address Rejected
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:47:34 GMT

A lot of people have configured their mail servers to reject mail from
hosts known to be dynamically assigned by ISPs, believing all such mail
is spam. The solution is to either use your ISP's smtp server directly
or to configure your own mail program to use it as a relay host. Then
the spam filters will let it through. It's a pain in the ass because it
requires more internet traffic, but it's the only thing that works.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Suresh Ramasubramanian)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 15 Nov 2000 15:50:25 GMT

Frederick Artiss proclaimed on comp.mail.sendmail that:

> A lot of people have configured their mail servers to reject mail from
> hosts known to be dynamically assigned by ISPs, believing all such mail

I dont see any signs of the MAPS DUL being used to reject that mail.
Maybe this guy is trying to send to / through a server that filters / blocks
freemail domains like hotmail / yahoo etc?

        +suresh

> > "JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:hJBO5.25$3T2.155@client...

> > >         The message could not be sent because one of
> > >         the recepients is rejected by the server.  The
> > >         rejected email address was [EMAIL PROTECTED]

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis
mallet @ cluestick.org + Lumber Cartel of India, tinlcI

------------------------------

From: LinuxTest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: disgusted with passwd, PAM and Redhat
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 15:53:43 +0000

Redhat is so convoluted, I just wish I could go back to Slackware, but
it's too late now. Why can't we go back to the easy way of doing things
like editing /etc/passwd and removing the encrypted string to allow  a
null password for a user.

I am trying to set up my standalone Linux box to have no password for my

main non-root account. My main non-root account (xxx) is now ocking me
out. I have this in my /etc/passwd:

xxx::500:100:xxx fullname:/home/adi:/bin/bash

I didn't manually edit the file to get it like this. I did a 'passwd -d
xxx' as root as I thought that would allow me to have a null password
for xxx. This doesn't work, and I now can't login as xxx at all. I have
not altered any of my PAM files in /etc/pam.d, and I have no /etc/shadow

file. I am using RH6.0.

How do I restore a password for xxx? I have tried 'passwd xxx' and
setting something new, but it doesn't work. It says:

passwd: all authentication tokens updated successfully

but the new passwd I set doesn't work when I try to login as xxx.

my PAM file for passwd is:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so use_authtok nullok

and my PAM file for login is:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_cracklib.so
password   required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
use_authtok
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest