From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: Re: Puzzling atd/xfs problems with backup/restored system (was puzzling Lilo
problem . . .)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 06:21:39 GMT

"Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Lucius Chiaraviglio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[I wrote again:]
>>>     Anyway, Lilo now works without further problems, but I found a
>>>couple of other annoying problems on my restored installations:  xfs (X font
>>>server) and atd (at daemon) both fail to start on boot, and atd also fails
>
>You probably forgot to put "p" among the tar options, both on making
>the tar and on unpacking it. So /tmp probably has wrong perms.

        Yet another Homer Simpson salute:  D'OH!

        I found this today and got it to function properly.  (I suspected it
yesterday but didn't have time at work to test my suspicion.)

        I can now back up and restore properly.  Thanks to all who responded.

--
Lucius Chiaraviglio
New e-mail address is approximately:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: spike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SCSI Adapter not recognized
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 06:43:29 GMT

I hope someone can help me.

I am running Slackware 7.1 with kernel 2.2.16

I installed an Adaptec 2902E SCSI card that came with my
scanner, but Linux does not seem to pick up the card.  I
have SCSI support compiled into the kernel and also selected
the low-level driver for AIC7xxx cards.

Does anyone know if this card works with Linux?  If so, what do
I need to do to get it working?

Thanks,
Spike

------------------------------

From: David Hinds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: eth0, reentering interrupt handler?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 06:56:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.portable Matt Greer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just installed redhat7.0 on my laptop. I have a pcmcia ethernet card, and
> installed redhat using their pcmcia boot image. Within linux I get the
> message "eth0: Reentering the interrupt handler! isr=0x0 imr=0x0" over and
> over again.

Your network card is not supported; it is based on the Asix AX88190
chipset and does not work with the standard PCMCIA drivers.  See the
discussion in the BUGS file for the PCMCIA package.

-- Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lucius Chiaraviglio)
Subject: Re: Newbie Replacing a HDD
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 07:01:07 GMT

I can't exactly call myself an expert yet, but I have been doing this kind
of thing a few times, and finally found out how to do it right (thanks to
all those who helped in the other threads I started about doing backup and
restore via a tarball on intermediate media):

"DJM" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>My setup:
>    hda0 - /boot
>    hda1 - swap
>    hda2 - /var
>    hdb0 - /
>
>I want to replace my second hard drive, hdb, from a 20GB to a 40GB.  Is
>there a painless way to do this?

        Well, it shouldn't hurt too much more than getting a shot at the
doctor's office . . . :-)

        First, read the hard disk upgrade instructions at

        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Hard-Disk-Upgrade/index.html

However, don't start quite yet.  You have a few things to keep in mind:

1.      That document recommends using "cp -x" as one of the
        ways to back up a single file system.  However, in some
        versions of GNU fileutils, the "-x" option to stay within
        one file system is broken -- it just keeps rolling along.
        If you are not sure that you have a properly working
        version of the "cp" command, do not depend upon this
        option.  My workaround for this was to use "cp -a" on each
        top-level directory and "cp -dp" on the top-level files
        that I needed to copy (basically the third method in the
        above-referenced document), back when I was doing a disk-
        to-disk copy (different than the tarball copy method that
        I have been slogging through recently and finally figured
        out today).  At the time I was doing this (last fall),
        the latest alpha version of fileutils had this fixed; this
        has presumably been released now, but many Linux
        installations are likely to have the broken version.  (For
        instance, I was using MontaVista Hard Hat Linux 1.1,
        which is a close derivative of Red Hat 6.1 -- not the
        latest, but not exactly ancient either.)

2.      One of your disks is staying put, and thus doesn't need to
        be copied to the other one.  It wouldn't hurt to back it
        up anyway, though, especially if you are proceeding by
        way of intermediate media.

3.      Your /boot partition and MBR are on the disk that is
        staying put -- you likely will not have to readjust Lilo,
        and if your partitioning scheme on the new disk will be
        the same as on the old one, you will not have to readjust
        /etc/fstab either.  Caution:  if you do have to readjust
        Lilo, proofread /etc/lilo.conf CAREFULLY.  Referencing a
        non-existent partition or misspelling something in this
        file can cause failures that are quite an unwanted
        challenge to diagnose.

4.      Since you already have 2 hard disks on your primary IDE
        channel, your destination hard disk for a disk-to-disk
        copy will need to be /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd (unless you
        have more than 2 IDE channels).

        If you deviate from that document and instead use a tarball on
intermediate media (for instance, a CD-R) as I did, be sure to include the
"-p" option in your "tar" commands to preserve all file and directory
permissions; I found out the hard way that failure to do so results in a
system that almost works right, but has some subtle and annoying failures that
are difficult to diagnose (in my case, the atd and xfs services failed
mysteriously).  Also, it wouldn't hurt to do a compare between the backup
tarball and your original disks after creating the tarball, just to make sure
that it didn't get corrupted.  This also applies to doing a disk-to-disk copy
(especially if you are not yet sure of the quality of your IDE connection --
I have found that this can cause corruption before it causes total failure).
My backup command (the version that worked) was (executed in the root
directory of the original disk):

        tar -zcvpf /mnt/backup_volume/backup_file.tgz -T backuplist.txt

where backuplist.txt was a list of top-level files and directories to back up
(easiest way to get this is "ls -1 > backuplist.txt" and then edit the file
to get rid of /mnt and /proc; that's a number one after the dash, not a
lowercase letter, in case your newsreader has a brain-dead display font like
mine does, that doesn't distinguish these characters).

        The compare command would be:

        tar -zdvpf /mnt/backup_volume/backup_file.tgz

I didn't do this on the original drive, because I was trying to save time in
my experimentation, but I did do it on the destination drive after unpacking
the tarball (see below), because I suspected hard disk corruption on the
destination.

        The restore command was (executed in the root directory of the
destination disk):

        tar -zdvpf /mnt/backup_volume/backup_file.tgz

On the destination disk, you need to create the /mnt directory tree and
/proc manually after doing either a disk-to-disk copy or a restore from a
tarball.  I had to adjust Lilo manually because I was moving to a new disk
entirely, but you probably will not have to do this.  After I did all this,
everything seems to work properly (including having the right permissions
on the restored /tmp directory, which I noticed were wrong if the "-p"
option was not in the "tar" commands).

        Okay, now have at it.  :-)

From: Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: netscape
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:20:28 +1000

cool.

i'm new to linux so i have to ask these questions.

would it work under gnome? what's the rpm name?

riyaz

------------------------------

From: Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 17:19:13 +1000

i read somehwere that opera does not support (atleast) java2 yet

riyaz

------------------------------

From: "linxbe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: howto burn an ISO with WinOnCd (Redhat 7.0)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 07:47:39 GMT

I did download the redhat 7.0 iso files but dont know how to burn them. I
use WinOnCd .
HELP

------------------------------

From: "Brian Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Help please - XF86 4.0.3 font problem after XF86 font deuglification
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:00:26 +0100 (BST)

Hi all

I have applied the suggestions in the XF86 Font Deuglification mini
howto to my RH7 system, and it looks quite nice now except:

The fonts used for desktop icons are nearly illegible

and

The login dialog box has large fonts where it used to have fairly small
fonts, as a result the whole thing is now larger and rather ugly in
itself

Can anyone suggest how this can be fixed, I'm guessing it is something
to do with font aliasing, but I'm not sure. I have looked at the
gdm.conf file in /etc/X11/gdm, and also the Xresources file in
/etc/X11/xdm which both look relevant, but so far I can't adjust the
fonts to my liking.

Does anyone know how to sort this out, or point me to some good
resources that will help?

TIA

--
Brian Morrison                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
               to reply, change address from 'news' to 'bdm'

------------------------------

From: "Brian Morrison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Redhat 7.0 install problem, unable to initialize eth0
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:17:32 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 13 Apr 2001 20:02:09 GMT, Richard Fox wrote:

>I have a 2 computer lan, NT laptop and Dell desktop previously running
>Redhat 6. I upgraded my Dell to Rh 7, and my ethernet device initialization
>is failing now. When I boot, I get
>
>bringing up eth0 interface: delaying eth0 initialization    [FAILED]
>
>running "ifconfig eth0"   results in
>eth0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
>"ifconfig -a" only shows loopback device lo

Have a look in /etc/rc.d/init.d/network

There was a missing pipe symbol in one of the lines where the
interfaces start up, there are various egrep statements followed by |\,
one of these was broken with the RH7 default packages.

I got initscripts-5.66 from Rawhide, but I suppose adding the | would
fix it ;-)

From: "JediK9" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and Windows 2000
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:38:33 +1000

Mark,

I've actually just tried this now and i'm having a few problems! ...
Admittedly my install method was a little different.

Using Redhat 7.0 I installed the Linux boot sector to a new partition (not
the MBR) and used the "dd" command and edited the boot.ini file. All M$
systems boot OK, but it won't boot Linux. My Linux boot disk WILL boot Linux
though so ... I'm not real sure what the prob is. I'm just a beginner on
Linux.
I kind of suspect my drive size could be causing me probs or the fact that
the first partition is NTFS??.
If anyone can explain this to me I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
JediK9

15Gb HDD partiotned as follows:

Partition1: 4Gb NTFS
Partition2: 8Gb NTFS
Partition3: /dev/hda3 mount /boot 10Mb
Partition4: /dev/hda5 mount / 1.2Gb
Partition5: /dev/hda6 Linux Swap

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "JediK9" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dual Boot Linux RH7.0 & M$ System
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:40:34 +1000

Hi All,

The infamous dual boot question:

Using Redhat 7.0 I installed the Linux boot sector to a new partition (not
the MBR) and used the "dd if=/dev/hda3 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1"
command to create a file I placed on the Windows C:\ drive and edited the
boot.ini file to use the .lnx file to boot Linux. All M$ systems boot OK,
but it won't boot Linux. My Linux boot disk WILL boot Linux though so ...
I'm not real sure what the prob is. I'm just a beginner on Linux.
I kind of suspect my drive size could be causing me probs or the fact that
the first partition is NTFS??.
If anyone can explain this to me I'd appreciate it.

Cheers
JediK9

15Gb HDD partitioned as follows:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ("v.nagasrinivas")
Subject: I mistakenly uninstalled the rpm package..(how to install it back)
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 10:01:57 +0000 (UTC)

=======_NextPart_000_0012_01C0C4F7.3CB0CD80

Hi,
                 I am Using SuSe 6.3 evaluation version linux,
After installing the linux, I mistakenly selected the rpm packages( =
through install/delete option of YAST(yet another
setup tool) tool).
                 Then its (Yast is giving trouble for selecting any =
other package or so).
How to get it back rpm with out reinstalling the linux...

Could you please help me...

thanks,
Srinivas
http://www.geocities.com/cheluvi

=======_NextPart_000_0012_01C0C4F7.3CB0CD80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
I am Using SuSe 6.3 evaluation version linux,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After installing the linux, I =
mistakenly selected=20
the rpm packages( through install/delete option of YAST(yet =
another</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>setup tool)&nbsp;tool).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=
p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
Then its (Yast is giving trouble for selecting any other package or=20
so).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>How to get it back rpm with out =
reinstalling the=20
linux...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Could you please help =
me...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Srinivas</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.geocities.com/cheluvi">http://www.geocities.com/cheluv=
i</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

=======_NextPart_000_0012_01C0C4F7.3CB0CD80==

--
Posted from ns.stph.net [196.12.32.2]

------------------------------

From: Andy Collinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Boot Linux RH7.0 & M$ System
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2001 11:17:31 +0100

JediK9 wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> The infamous dual boot question:
>
> Using Redhat 7.0 I installed the Linux boot sector to a new partition (not
> the MBR) and used the "dd if=/dev/hda3 of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1"
> command to create a file I placed on the Windows C:\ drive and edited the
> boot.ini file to use the .lnx file to boot Linux. All M$ systems boot OK,
> but it won't boot Linux. My Linux boot disk WILL boot Linux though so ...
> I'm not real sure what the prob is. I'm just a beginner on Linux.
> I kind of suspect my drive size could be causing me probs or the fact that
> the first partition is NTFS??.
> If anyone can explain this to me I'd appreciate it.
>
> Cheers
> JediK9
>
> 15Gb HDD partitioned as follows:
>
> Partition1: 4Gb NTFS
> Partition2: 8Gb NTFS
> Partition3: /dev/hda3 mount /boot 10Mb
> Partition4: /dev/hda5 mount / 1.2Gb
> Partition5: /dev/hda6 Linux Swap

Which version of lilo are you using? Lilo can only boot if the / partition
is below the 1024th cylinder, however lilo 21.6 and above do not have this
limitation. Type lilo -V as su to display lilo version

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest