From: Sung Y. Hong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO problem with KT7-RAID
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:30:15 -0000

As far as I know, you need to upgade the kernel to 2.2.16 or higher to use
HPT370 controller and also to patch ide.2.2.16.20000630.patch file. Visit
highpoint-tech website at www.highpoint-tech.com.
Good Luck!

Sung

------------------------------

From: Scott Rainaldo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distro for old(486SX 6MB) firewall
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:30:51 -0600

DeAnn wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 04:11:52 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>> Hi everybody.  I recently purchased an old PC for use as a linux
>> firewall/IP forwarding.  Here are the specs:
>>
>> Processor: 486SX
>> Memory:  6MB
>> Hard Drive: 130MB
>> NIC:  3COM ISA Etherlink III
>> NO CD-ROM
>>
>> I was wondering which distribution would be easiest to install with this
>>
>> setup?  I want as minimal a setup as I can possibly get (ONLY
>> firewalling/IP forwarding).   Is this even feasible with this hardware?
>
>    I would recommend Debian for a machine with this small of a RAM.
> Debian also will do a floppy install easily (you can write the dozen
> or so floppies of a basic install from the cdrom using another
> machine, either DOSWIN or LINUX).
>   Note, the RAM is so small that the machine could be a bottleneck in
> your network.  You might be able to upgrade the memory cheap if you
> scout around used computer places.

I only plan on having 3 clients at most on the internal network (with
very little simultaneous use).  Will memory still be a problem?  I
remember several people on various sites bragging how they run more
services with more clients on a 486 w/8MB than I plan to.

------------------------------

From: Ryan Lovett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ThinkPad, boot freeze, lilo.conf append mem
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:53:23 -0800

 I noticed that a friend's ThinkPad 770x running 2.2.16 (RedHat 7.0)
detected only 64MB or so of his 192MB RAM so I added
  append="mem=192M"
to his /etc/lilo.conf and reran lilo. Booting froze after restart after
the apmd message and before the RTC message. He has not touched his
installation or built a new kernel or anything.
 Is this a symptom of an incorrect lilo configuration or ...?

Thanks for your time,
Ryan

------------------------------

From: "Kurt R. Rahlfs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Geforce 2
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:57:38 -0600

Holger Lierse wrote:

> Hi!
> I hope someone can help me!
> I have the following problem:
>
> During the Installation of Suse 7.0 I had big Problems with the
> configuartion of my Monitor. Everytime I've tried to chose a monitor the
> setup hung up (even withe VESA). So I've chosen NO graphic Interface. With
> "sax -s XF86_VGA16" I've finallay managed it to start the sax. But I
> couldn't find neither my graphic card (Elsa Gladiac Geforce 2) nor my
> monitor (Belinea 10 60 30) in the list. I would be very pleased if someone
> could help me so I can use the graphical interface!
> Thanx !
> Holger

I had the same problem with NVIDIA Geforce2 card.  (Is it the same as
yours???).  It's driver only works under xf86 4.0.1.  SuSE has a site for
XF86 4.0 that helps in setting up the new XF86.  However the site also
mentions that the nvidia drivers don't work with SuSE 7.0.  So I chose to run
SuSE 6.4 with XF86 4.0.1 and that works well.
Kurtrr

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: mailing.freebsd.questions,comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: xerox printer
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:48:06 GMT

I'm trying to get a WorkCentre XD100 to work with RedHat 6.2,
I'm using printtool and I've tried almost all the drivers (the
ones that made most sense).  Nothing.  Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.

In article <8urt9k$2ihl$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daniel Fisher) wrote:
> I'm trying to get remote printing to work with a Xerox DocuPrint 4517
in my office.
> I've read thru the handbook and looked at some linux machines which
work fine.
> Here is my printcap file
>
> lp:\
>          :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
>          :mx#0:\
>          :sh:\
>          :rm=128.173.52.239:\
>          :rp=PASSTHRU:\
>          :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:
>
> Has anyone had any experience with this type of printer?
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Daniel Fisher

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: "Brad Hubbard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Automatic Partitioning
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:56:43 +1100

Hello all,

Does anyone know what the prerequisite is for the automatic partitioning
option to be available in the RH7.0 installation?

IOW, does anyone know how to force the installation to automatically
partition the disk?

TIA,
Brad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Subject: Re: ThinkPad, boot freeze, lilo.conf append mem
Date: 15 Nov 2000 18:37:03 -0500

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.1001115143928.4600A-100000@ttauri>,
Ryan Lovett wrote:
> I noticed that a friend's ThinkPad 770x running 2.2.16 (RedHat 7.0)
> detected only 64MB or so of his 192MB RAM so I added
>  append="mem=192M"
> to his /etc/lilo.conf and reran lilo. Booting froze after restart after
> the apmd message and before the RTC message.

It may be that the Thinkpad devotes a bit of the memory to some other use.
(This is the case with my 380XD and my 560X.  See whether the bootup
screen really reports 192*1024 kB.)  If so, you can probably make it work
by telling it to try 190M or 191M.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: "gonZo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: trouble getting 3COM 3C900B-TPO ethernet card working with Linux
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 23:40:28 GMT

I use the same NIC, and had to turn off PnP on the card with the
DOS-configuration utility that comes on the 3com CD/Disk.
I use the kernelmodule 3c90x on kernel 2.2.14 without further problems.

greetings

gonZo

------------------------------

From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help... X Windows runs at a crawl.. Be my mentor,, Please
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 01:17:37 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jason B
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>        Hello all, please help .
>    I've had Linux installed on my system for a year and some now.
> Here's whats' up: X windows has never really worked good . It was  slow,
> like I was running Windows '95 on a 386 or something (I have a Pentium
> ii 300Mhz /98 Megs ram). Recently, I edited my XF86Config file
> (I'm scared to touch this thing) I put in some new modelines for my
> monitor, calculated from a posting describing how to do it. But, my
> system seems to just skip over them or something as if they weren't even
> there.  I can't change the resolution by using 'ctrl - alt - +/- keys'
> either.
>        So, I'm wondering, is there a way of seeing exactly what video
> mode that X Windows is running in? Like,some log file or something? I
> know how to switch between users or whatever by pressing 'ctrl - alt -
> f1, f2, f7 '.

A pentium ii 300 should not be running as slow as you are describing.
Logged in as root from the command prompt run:

xf86config

This will run you thru a script to reinstall your hardware for X.  It sounds
to me like maybe your memory for your graphics card is not correct or
maybe your not using the right graphics driver.  At the same time you
can fix your mouse problem by selecting a generic mouse driver instead
of the microsoft one.

Good Luck,

Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Installing linux on Compaq Presario 1200 XL110
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 00:27:40 GMT

Hi!
Anybody out there who will guide me as to how i proceed.

My problem is that, i made a mistake in Formatting my hard disk
before installing Linux on my Laptop, as i was really Fed up with
Windows. But now i am not able to start Xserver on my Laptop,
I know that there is some problem in the Parameters for the TFT
display, but i do not know exactly where do i find the right values
for it.
I am using Red Hat 5?? version

I tried using the XF86Config which i found on WEB put up by someone
who has already gone thr' this, But it did not help me much.

Any leads???

Thanks
Rajkumar...

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 17:18:20 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > # lspci -v -v
> > >
> > > 00:0e.0 Serial controller: US Robotics/3Com 56K FaxModem Model 5610
> > > (rev 01) (prog-if 02 [16550])
> > >         Subsystem: US Robotics/3Com USR 56k Internal FAX Modem (Model
> > > 5610)
> > >         Control: I/O+ Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> > > ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
> > >  <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
> > >         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 0
> >
> > Is this a typo?   since IRQ  0  would be an error.
>
> Nope...that is what it returns...that is one of the things that I am
> most suspicious about.  I am very close to just chunking the stupid
> thing and getting a new modem but first like I will get the new kernel.
>
> > >         Region 0: I/O ports at b000
> > >         Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
> > >                 Flags: PMEClk- DSI- D1- D2+ AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-
> > > ,D2+,D3hot+,D3cold+)

lspci reads from the PCI config space on the card which is an area 256 bytes in
size containing all config options for this card. You can, of course, change
anything you want there (and if you don't like IRQ 0, replace it with 9 or 10,
if unused, with setpci). I am not sure if the kernel would be able to pick it up
from there, but it's worth a try.
--

Vladimir

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest