From: Oystein Johnsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Various errors
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:10:22 GMT

I'm trying to install my Gravis Ultrasound PnP soundcard under Linux
Mandrake 7.0.  After being adviced by the Mandrake support team to use
the ALSA driver set, I've encountered some problems.  The installation
starts, according to the mini-HOWTO, by entering the command
'./configure' (I'm understading this is a standard command when
installing stuff under Linux...? [Yes, I am new to Linux]), but this
doesn't work.  I get the following message:

  checking for gcc... gcc
  checking wether the C compiler (gcc) works... no
  configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
    C compiler cannot create executables

What am I doing wrong?

An other thing I can't get working, is my CDR-drive - a Philips
CDD-3610.  My DVD-drive is mounted correctly however.  My CDR-drive
*is* mounted, but I can't access it if I put a CD in it.  Both drives
are automatically mounted in the booting process.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards...
  /\/\/\/\  Oystein Johnsen, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \/\/\/\/
  /\/\/\/\     http://www.oystein.johnsen.com     \/\/\/\/

------------------------------

From: Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome Compile
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 13:35:09 +0000

When compiling control-center I am getting undefined references to several Xpm
functions. The Xpm libraries appear to be properly installed.

Any help out there?

here's the specific command and the errors it generates:

gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wunused -o .libs/theme-selector-capplet
./../control-center/.libs/libcapplet.so -L/usr/local/lib -lORBitCosNaming
-lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lglib -lm -lm -ldl -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lgnorba
-lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib
-lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd
-laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl -L/usr/local/lib -lImlib -ljpeg -ltiff -ljpeg
-lz -lungif -lpng -lz -lm -lXext -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lSM -lICE -lXext -lX11
file.o globals.o lister.o main.o signals.o demo.o gui.o install.o
./../control-center/.libs/libcapplet.so -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP
-lORBitutil -lglib -lm -lm -ldl -lgnorba -lORBitCosNaming -lORBit -lIIOP
-lORBitutil -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule
-lXext -lX11 -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl
-rdynamic -L/usr/local/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/local/lib -lORBitCosNaming
-lORBit -lIIOP -lORBitutil -lglib -lm -rdynamic -lgnomeui -lart_lgpl
-lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXext -lX11 -lgnome
-lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl -lImlib -rdynamic
-lgtkxmhtml -lz -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lglib -ldl -lXext -lX11 -lm
-lgnorba -Wl,--rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib
/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined reference to
`XpmCreateXpmImageFromBuffer'
/usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined
reference to `XpmFreeXpmInfo' /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined
reference to `XpmGetErrorString' /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so: undefined
reference to `XpmCreateXpmImageFromData' /usr/local/lib/libgtkxmhtml.so:
undefined reference to `XpmFreeXpmImage' collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[3]: *** [theme-selector-capplet] Error 1 make[3]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/control-center-1.2.0/capplets/theme-switcher' make[2]: ***
[all-recursive] Error 1 make[2]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/control-center-1.2.0/capplets' make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/control-center-1.2.0' make: ***
[all-recursive-am] Error 2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Dual boot problems
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 13:49:33 GMT

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Stupid me, forgot to run /sbin/lilo...
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 10:03:30 -0400

> If you were a woman, I'd kiss you!!!

Yikes!  Well, you have benefitted from my having to do that same
operation many times.

------------------------------

From: "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH6.0, SCSI tape & rescue
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 10:10:36 -0400

> Since I thought it might be nice to be able to restore from tape after
> booting from floppy in rescue mode, I created a new boot floppy. The
> problem is, when I boot from floppy, insert the rescue disk and enter the
> command above at the # prompt, I'm greeted with a msg that /dev/st0 does
> not exist. Sure enough, it doesn't.
>
> Is there any way around this or am I attempting the impossible?

Hm, your backup plan is the same as mine, but I've never actually tried
it.  First guess: if /dev/st0 doesn't exist, create it with

MAKEDEV st0

or, if MAKEDEV doesn't exist in the rescue file system, use "mknod"
instead.  Can't remember the syntax right now, but all you need is the
device name (st0) and the major and minor device mode numbers-- visible
in your regular file system in "ls -l /dev/st0".

Let me know how it goes.  I guess if I'm going to use that backup plan I
need to have those major and minor device numbers written down-- hadn't
thought of it before.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Sendmail
From: o1flame <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 07:14:56 -0700

you can try to look up www.linuxgazette.com
There are some article on setting up sendmail on a LAN.
Do and search on sendmail on linuxtoday.com, and there are a
bunch of them over there.

o1

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Subject: Re: Various errors
Date: 1 Jul 2000 15:24:08 GMT

Oystein Johnsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm trying to install my Gravis Ultrasound PnP soundcard under Linux
>Mandrake 7.0.  After being adviced by the Mandrake support team to use
>the ALSA driver set, I've encountered some problems.  The installation
>starts, according to the mini-HOWTO, by entering the command
>'./configure' (I'm understading this is a standard command when
>installing stuff under Linux...? [Yes, I am new to Linux]),

When compiling from source, yes; if you're installing programs that have
been packaged for Mandrake, then they've done that work for you, and you
can just use rpm or one of its graphical front-ends (the Mandrake
documentation should have more details on this).

>but this doesn't work.  I get the following message:

>  checking for gcc... gcc
>  checking wether the C compiler (gcc) works... no
>  configure: error: installation or configuration problem:
>    C compiler cannot create executables
>
>What am I doing wrong?

You need to install the binutils package; also make sure that you have
the glibc-devel package installed.

>An other thing I can't get working, is my CDR-drive - a Philips
>CDD-3610.  My DVD-drive is mounted correctly however.  My CDR-drive
>*is* mounted, but I can't access it if I put a CD in it.  Both drives
>are automatically mounted in the booting process.

Drives with removable media (floppies, CD-ROMs, etc.) should not be
mounted on boot. Mounting is really something that applies to the
individual disk (or, more specifically, a filesystem on the disk - don't
try mounting a disk without a filesystem, like an audio CD), not to the
drive. If you want to avoid mounting your CD-Rs and DVDs manually all
the time, you should look at autofs instead, which is packaged for
Mandrake 7.0; when properly set up, this can automatically mount the
filesystems on those drives when required.

You should only mount CD-Rs when reading data you've already written to
them. *Writing* to CD-Rs is an operation that takes place on the raw
disk, and on a blank CD-R there'll be nothing to mount. In particular,
if you're blanking a rewriteable disk, it is dangerous to have a
filesystem on that disk mounted, and you run the risk of confusing your
kernel to the point where you'll have to reboot to unconfuse it. I'd
hope that decent CD-recording software would check for this mistake, but
it's better to be safe.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"A recommended acceptance test might be to experiment with subjects

------------------------------

From: Penguin Head <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Font server and XFree 4.0
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 15:35:54 GMT

Hi all,
Just installed Xfree 4.0 on Mandrake 6.1 and 7.1. It works fine but when
I ran a java/swing application I get the following error message:

[bin]$ Font specified in font.properties not found
[--symbol-medium-r-normal--*-%d-*-*-p-*-adobe-fontspecific]
[...]

Eventhough the font server starts OK on bootup, it fails to shutdown
properly at system shutdown.
Did anyone have such a problem?
Any help on resolving this matter is appreciated.

TIA,
PH

--
W2K, now approaching 23x6 availability

From: Jaime Davila <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do you make the windows smaller?
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 16:09:22 GMT

Also, you can move the windows without grabbing the edge of them by
pressing the ALT key and then clicking on the window and dragging it
around. You should be able to get to the bottom (or top) of any window
that way.

Mary P wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Jun 2000 19:54:51 -0500,
>  Theodore J. Mooney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >   I just installed Storm Linux 2000 Rain edition.
> >...   When I try to do something that creates a new tabbed
> >window, the "OK" and "Cancel" buttons are off the screen
> >on the bottom and there's no way to move the window up
> >any more.
>
> I can't help you with Storm Linux but if you are still
> sitting there five hours later and haven't closed those
> windows yet :-) try moving the window DOWN on your
> screen (assuming
> you are now in the upper left part of the virtual desk-
> top). Then get yourself down to the part of the desktop
> directly below, and you'll be able to see the bottom of
> the window you just moved. If you want to click some
> button at the bottom, you will now be able to do so.
>
> Before I figured that out I was kind of "diving" the
> mouse cursor down below the bottom of the page and
> clicking randomly, hoping to hit "cancel" or whatever.
> I thought it was a feature until somebody took me aside
> and gently explained . . .
>
> In RH you can fix it with
> Xconfigurator, and if that doesn't clear it up there are
> monitor configuration HOWTOs at http://www.linuxdoc.org
> and elsewhere.
>
> MP
> --
>     _
>    . .
>   // \\
>  //   \\
>   (W W)

Jaime J. Davila
Assistant Professor of Computer Science
School of Cognitive Science
Hampshire College
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://helios.hampshire.edu/jdavila

------------------------------

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to check SMP in Linux ?
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 17:15:35 +0100

AB wrote:

> Gandalf wrote:
> >
> > cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> bogomips        : 432.54
>
> processor       : 1
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 6
> model name      : Celeron (Mendocino)
> stepping        : 5
> cpu MHz         : 434.324990
> cache size      : 128 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> sep_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge
> mca cmov pat pse36 mmx osfxsr
> bogomips        : 434.18
>
> So this means, it uses 1 CPU. How do get it to work SMP then ?  Since Ie
> made the kernel with the SMP option....
  No, this means, that you missed the first CPU processor 0 (if you lok at the
output above there is a lonely bogomipsm which belongs to your first (0)
processor). Try cat /proc/cpuinfo | more, and you'll see, that you have two
processors running :)

  But there's another trick to find out how many CPUs are running. type ps axw |
more and count how many processes have R as STAT (third column). One will be
your ps process.

  Morc.

------------------------------

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Memory
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 17:20:10 +0100

Choi Po wrote:

> Actually, i have 128Mb physical memory in my system but RH6.2 tells me that
> i just have 13Mb.
>
> How to change it ????

  Look for a memory hole between 15-16M or something like this in your BIOS. If
it's enabled disable it, and you'll find you missing mem (maybe only 64MB will
show up, if this is the case, then you'll have to add append line to you lilo
(sorry, I don't know the exact syntax, but look into messages posted here, and
you'll find one)). If this doesn't help, then I don't have any advice left.

  Morc.

------------------------------

From: Robert Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 11:27:03 -0500

"Andrew E. Schulman" wrote:

> > Since I thought it might be nice to be able to restore from tape after
> > booting from floppy in rescue mode, I created a new boot floppy. The
> > problem is, when I boot from floppy, insert the rescue disk and enter the
> > command above at the # prompt, I'm greeted with a msg that /dev/st0 does
> > not exist. Sure enough, it doesn't.
> >
> > Is there any way around this or am I attempting the impossible?
>
> Hm, your backup plan is the same as mine, but I've never actually tried
> it.  First guess: if /dev/st0 doesn't exist, create it with
>
> MAKEDEV st0
>
> or, if MAKEDEV doesn't exist in the rescue file system, use "mknod"
> instead.  Can't remember the syntax right now, but all you need is the
> device name (st0) and the major and minor device mode numbers-- visible
> in your regular file system in "ls -l /dev/st0".
>
> Let me know how it goes.  I guess if I'm going to use that backup plan I
> need to have those major and minor device numbers written down-- hadn't
> thought of it before.

MAKEDEV was my first thought, too, but the command isn't available in rescue.
Back in my normal mode, I find that 'ls -l /dev/st0 yields:
crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/st0
so I booted rescue again and entered 'mknod -m 660 /dev/st0 b 9 0
and got something that resembles the above except for the date AND
group/owner. It shows 0   0  in whatever shell is used.  Since chown is also
not available in rescue mode, that presents another obstacle.

It's interesting that while booting the floppy, even before the rescue disk is
inserted, I get the msg:
scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 2, lun 0
which would make it seem that the kernel knows all about my tape drive.
There's one thing about all this.  If you and I had the same idea
independently about how we'd like to be able to restore from tape, the chances
are very good that someone else has either done it successfully or proven it
can't be done.

Maybe some other vendor's idea of a rescue image includes /dev/st* and/or the
MAKEDEV command....

------------------------------

From: CoryJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Fetchmail Question
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 16:20:34 GMT

Here is what I did in RedHat.. first I made a ~/.fetcmailrc
that looks like this:

set daemon 300     #Daemon mode, Poll every 5 minutes
set postmaster myLinuxAccount  #Send messages it doesn't know
                          #what to do with to this account
set syslog  # Log to system logs
poll mail.myisp.com protocol POP3 username myusername password "mypass"
fetchall
# Everything needed to connect and poll my ISP for mail

Next I added the following to the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local

su MyLinuxAcct -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -f /home/myhomedir/.fetchmailrc"
#runs fetchmail as myself using the above config file each reboot.

So far I have never had a problem of fetchmail dying off although
some other posters say they have.  If you do have that problem, you
could probably use cron (man 5 crontab) to run at set intervals
and not use fetchmail's daemon mode.

From: "Theodore J. Mooney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: This may be a stupid question, but are there Linux viruses (virii?)?
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 11:31:52 -0500

The views, opinions, or statements stated above or below
are not necessarily those of the poster. So there! Nyah!

---

STICK, (n.): A boomerang that doesn't work.

------------------------------

From: Peter Teuben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat,redhat.config,redhat.general,redhat.hardware.arch.intel,redhat.networking.general,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: Multiple network configuration on a laptop.
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 12:31:04 -0400

Andreas Schweitzer wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig Hagerman wrote:
> <some problems I also had>
> >So here is the question (or challenge).  Can I do different startup
> >configurations based on weather or not I am connected to a network???
>
> I have found 2 packages :
> netenv and divine  (I have no URL's here - you may find them on freshmeat etc.)
>
> I haven't even tried divine yet.
> I tried netenv but I had to fool around with it so much I ended up doing the
> following :
> You can pass environment variables with lilo. Everything that is not
> understood by lilo or the kernel is passed to init and even further.
> So I have some targets in lilo.conf that set certain variables and my
> init scripts test these and set up the network accordingly and fool around
> with other files.
> I even have a target that eventually asks during boot up for the IP etc.
> interactively.

somebody once told me that linuxconf can reconfigure your networking
setup. But
I've been using a very old scripting solution, that works for dialup as
well
as ethernet. You can tailor it for any distribution, i use redhat and
slackware.

First you need to figure out which files are changed when you change
location.
This will depend on the complexity of your network, e.g. if you use
static routes
(most of us probably don't) you need to add /etc/sysconfig/static_routes
to your
database.
I use the method whereby important system files are actually stored in
${file}_S{loc},
and the script will then copy them back to ${file}. So, here is my
configuration
script:

#! /bin/csh -f
#

if ($#argv == 0) then
  grep ^GATEWAY= /etc/sysconfig/network
  grep ^IPADDR= /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
  exit 0
endif

foreach loc ($*)
foreach dir (/etc /etc/sysconfig /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts)
  #echo Adding $loc
  #echo Visiting $dir
  set names=(`find $dir -maxdepth 1 -name \*_$loc -print`)
  if ($#names > 0) then
    foreach name ($names)
       set base=`echo $name | sed s/_$loc//`
       #echo $base :
       #echo " $name"
       if (-e $base) then
          echo cp -p $name $base
          cp -p $name $base
       endif
    end
  else
    #echo Nothing for _$loc in $dir
  endif
end
end

I've seen a solution like this by somebody else who copied files into a
specific
directory, i keep them in the location where they belong (that makes it
a little
easier to use in different distributions where the location may be
different).

Anyways, maybe somebody will have some new additions/improvements to
this method.
I also have a script that given a newly edited site, it will do the
reverse, and
promote system files to a specific '_loc'. That saves you from manually
making
the backups.

My method can also be used to do dialup in redhat, but i've been using
an old
slackware method even under redhat. For that I had to maintain a
separate script
called ppp_configure, which is messy and i won't dare  to publish that
here.

- peter

------------------------------

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning of large IDE-Disk
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 17:39:07 +0100

  Hi Oliver,

> Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 29765 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdc1             1     12484   6291904+   b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hdc2         12485     24968   6291936    b  Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hdc3         24969     29765   2417688    b  Win95 FAT32

  Why are you using you drive in normal disk access mode (BIOS setting)? I would
use a large drive like this with LBA setting, not normal/CHS. And are the files
disappeared after you copied them to /C (maybe you need some up-to-date utils)?

  Morc.

------------------------------

From: "the curious one" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Naming Partitions for Red Hat 6.0
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 16:44:56 GMT

ok ...... thanks ...... that was easy enough to understand

Leanne

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Gabor 'Morc' Kormos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Two network cards on same subnet
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 18:08:58 +0100

 Hi Guys,

  System specs:
        RH 6.1/6.2, Intel Pro 100+ cards (mb intergated/add-on card), kernel
2.2.14 (I
will upgrade to 2.2.16) w/multicasting enabled

  Situation I:

  I have some servers with two network cards in each to have some redundancy and
if I set up both cards to be on the same subnet (192.168.0.0) and same
address/different address then if I unplug the cable from the first card (eth0)
that box stops reaching the network until I plug is back.

  Question I:

  Is there any solution to make the two cards work in parallel?

  Situation II:

  Same setup, as above, but I down the eth0 and only use eth1 to access the
network. I want to use IP multicast on them/this. I set up the 224.0.0.0 network
to be routed though the eth1 (route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 dev eth1) then ping
224.0.0.1 does not give back any replies. If I up the eth0 (nothing else is
changed!) everything work fine and all the machines replies (NOTE: the network
is working OK with eth1 only, and I can ping any normal IP address on the net or
connect to any machine!!!!).

  Question II:

  Is this a bug/feature in Linux kernel?

  I'm not a newbie, but I'm on a tight schedule and I don't have too much time
to read all the docs again (I've dealt Linux before, but for the past 4 years I
dealt with Win9x mainly). So if the answers are in one or more of the
FAQs/HowTos/Guides shipping with standard distros or found on the net then just
reply RTFM and the manuals containing the answers (ULRs too).

  TIA, Morc.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest