  Re: installing Win98 after the fact (Villy Kruse)

From: "Darren and Marla Welson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.samba
Subject: printcap entry
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:21:27 GMT

I cannot print from Windows 98 to my RH Linux box.  Anybody see what I am
missing?  I can print from Linux with the typical:
# lpr test.txt

SAMBA entry

[Canon4300]
 comment = Canon 4300 Series
 path = /var/spool/samba
 print ok = Yes

/etc/printcap

##PRINTTOOL3## LOCAL bjc600 360x360 letter {} BJC600 8 {}
lp:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/lp0:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter:

##PRINTTOOL3## SMB bjc600 360x360 letter {} BJC600 8 {}
lp0:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
 :rm=cx397247-d.rsmt1.occa.home.com:\
 :rp=lp0:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\
 :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/acct:\
 :lp=/dev/null:\
 :sh:

------------------------------

From: Richard Chase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X-windows install problem
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:23:13 GMT

You need to install the XF86_Mach64 server for XFree86. To do this, mount your
cdrom (installation disk) and cd to the directory with the rpm's in it. Issue
this command:

rpm -i XF86_Mach64.3.3.1.i586mdk.rpm
(or replace everything after -i with whatever the file is that you have on cd )

------------------------------

From: Scott Rainaldo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which distro for old(486SX 6MB) firewall
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:46:08 GMT

I just wanted to thank everyone who offered opinions.

My top three installations to try are:

* OpenBSD
* linux-router
* freesco

I will try OpenBSD first, but will probably try the other two when I get
time, just to compare them.  Even if they don't all work out, what
better way to learn, right?

Thank you all very much!

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Subject: Re: got reiserfs patch for kernel -- what now?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:50:28 -0000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 17:09:45 -0000,
 noel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>how do apply the "reiser-patch" download file to the kernel....?

cd /usr/src/linux
patch -p1 < /path/to/reiserfs-patchfile

Then rebuild the kernel with reiserfs enabled.

+ 10:50pm  up  1:00,  2 users,  load average: 0.04, 0.12, 0.27 +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthew Haley)
Subject: Re: Looking for a distro
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 05:52:24 -0000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:21:36 GMT,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm looking for modern distro (2.2.* kernel)that will install on a
>486DX 66Mhz, 8MB RAM, 512 MB HD.  I heard Slackware would.  I know that

I'd choose from Slackware, or Debian.

+ 10:52pm  up  1:02,  2 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.24 +

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark W. Stroberg)
Subject: Re: Cable/WAN DNS Problems
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:20:10 GMT

Nate:
   @Home does not technically use static IP addresses. Even though the
IP address is unchanging, and is always assigned the same by the DHCP
server, it is not technically a static (that is hard coded) IP
address. The IP address assigned is dependent upon the host name sent
by the DHCP client. Set your host and domain names to "localhost" and
"localdomain", and then try the following:

   #dhcpcd -h <myhostname>

where <myhostname> is the station (or computer) name in Windows. The
Client for Microsoft Networks automatically sends the hostname when
doing a DHCP address assignment request. dhcpcd will automatically set
up DNS server addresses and gateway assignments. This is assuming you
have dhcpcd intstalled. You'll have to ask someone else how to
automate the proceess, but is is something like replacing the call to
"pump" with a call to dhcpcd in a network initialization script (I
forgot which script). Hope this helps.

   Mark

------------------------------

From: "Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.hardware,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 22:26:33 -0600

gayyyyyy???

news:a0JQ5.285$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: James Richard Tyrer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Lilo and moving an IDE disk
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 06:32:02 GMT

Phil Whiles wrote:

> I have the following h/w:
>
> Tyan Trinity S1598 mobo
> IBM Deskstar 46Gb HD
> Chaintech ATA100R pci controller (HPT370)
>
> I wish to have the following IDE config
>
> CD             Mobo Pri
> CDRW       Mobo Sec
> IBM HD     HPT370 Pri
> ST HD        HPT370 Sec
>
> (All on Master)
>
> I can only install RH onto the IBM HD if it is on the mobo controller.
> OK ....
> I install RH, then modify the lilo.conf (floppy) with the append="ide2
> etc etc"
> Then I can use :
>
> Lilo: linux root=/dev/hde2
>
> (Having moved the IBM HD back onto the HPT370 of course).
>
> This all boots hunkydory, RH boots from the HD, and can see all the
> other IDE devices around.
>
> My question is : how can I config the lilo.conf to use root=/dev/hde2,
> to save me having to issue this on the lilo command line each time ?
>
> If I modify lilo.conf to have /dev/hde2, then rerun lilo, it complains :
>
> "Fatal : Not a number : "/dev/hde2"
>
> Errr....
>
> Regards
>
> Phil Whiles
>
> I have installed Redhat 7.0 (several times !) on to this HD.

When you move a disk, you need to edit "/etc/fstab"

Then you need to edit "/etc/lilo.conf"

And, finally run "/sbin/lilo"

If you need more specific details, post your additional questions.

JRT

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:40:20 +1100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm looking for modern distro (2.2.* kernel)that will install on a
> 486DX 66Mhz, 8MB RAM, 512 MB HD.  I heard Slackware would.

Slackware does as it is shipped compiled for 386. Some distributions ship
with compilations of 586 or 686 (pentium and pentium-pro) so they are lost
in such poor enviroment.
I did this with Slak 7.1, no hickups.

> Oh yeah, I don't plan on using X Window, I
> just want to use this IP MASQ and to save some files to.  And the whole
> networking experience :-)
>
> -Phil

Just install the a; ap; and n; series, don't dream of X.
The rest is administration.
Good luck.

Stanislaw.

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: vfat 2.2.14 kernel module
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:48:05 +0100

Douglas du Boulay wrote:

> Eric wrote:
> >
> > Douglas du Boulay wrote:
> > >
> > > working with a debian potato system with kernel 2.2.14
> > > fdisk:
> > >
> > > Disk /dev/hda: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 781 cylinders
> > > Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes
> > >
> > >    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> > > /dev/hda1   *         1       520   2096608+   6  FAT16
>

> > You have absolutely no idea what a filesystem is, do you?
>
> I thought it was likely to be
> an NTFS file system, given its running MS NT, But I have no
> clear idea of the history of the drive and since fdisk clearly
> said it was FAT16 I assumed it would be correct and that NT was
> installed on a FAT16 filesystem. Consequently all I could guess at
> was that the ntfs kernel module was clever enough to know what to do
> with a FAT16 as well as NTFS.
>
> So there you go fdisk lied.

No fdisk didn't lie, but the partition ID won't change just because you
format a partition with a FS that's not in agreement with the ID. Linux
doesn't even care, windows might get slightly confused about this
decoupling of part-ID and the actual FS.

> > You didn't read the documentation that comes with it.
> >
> Read the manual? They're always out of date anyway.

Might be so, but about the ntfs FS, tha manual clearly states that write
support is very experimental, and it should be used at you own risk, and
only if you wish to help develop the ntfs support.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:49:11 +0100

> Fat and NTFS may come from the same stable, but they are not the same horse.
> You cannot mount one as the other !
>
> I am using kernel 2.2.16 where i recall seeing an experimental option in
> the kernel for write support to NTFS volumes. Since I dont use NT I have
> never tried it.

And you'd better not try to use it, unless you do not value the data on
the NT partition.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how install Intellimouse
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:50:42 +0100

Murray Eisenberg wrote:

> You are undoubtedly correct -- it's been a while since I did the 6.2
> installation.
>
> What about scroll wheel -- as scroll wheel or 3rd button?

Normal setup uses it as the 3rd button. There's a module called imwheel
that can be used if you want the scrollwheel functionality. (Never tried
it myself though)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Help... X Windows runs at a crawl.. Be my mentor,, Please
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:58:51 +0100

> A pentium ii 300 should not be running as slow as you are describing.
> Logged in as root from the command prompt run:
>
> xf86config
>
> This will run you thru a script to reinstall your hardware for X.  It sounds
> to me like maybe your memory for your graphics card is not correct or
> maybe your not using the right graphics driver.  At the same time you
> can fix your mouse problem by selecting a generic mouse driver instead
> of the microsoft one.
>
> Good Luck,

Good advise, but make a backup of your current XF86Config file first.

The mouse is easy. the intellimouse works better when using the IMPS/2
protocol instead of the PS/2 protocol (change it in XF86Config)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can somebody tell me how to partition my Harddrive.
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 08:01:58 +0100

Steinar Jordbakke wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have one partition with MS Windows ME, and one With MS Windows 2000.
> My question is: How shall I set up my linux partition? Has somebody done
> this?

Linux will live happily wherever you like, just make sure the BIOS can
access the bootcode. That usually means: create a small /boot partition
(16 M) that resides entirely below the 1024th cylinder.

Eric

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 16 Nov 2000 02:36:19 -0500

"Dusty Dew" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> yes you can, you can install pretty much any OS aon any computer,

Not true.  Can't install OpenVMS on an Intel, for example.  Can't get
a fully-functional Linux on lots of platforms (like the MIPS R10k).

> ~Dusty
> Fireman (Nuclear Field) Gilt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I just got a new (old) computer; it looks like what they normally used
> > in offices about 4-5 years ago, it's pretty nice. My question is would
> > it be possible to install Linux on that bad boy. It has 2 processors; I
> > don't know if that means anything or not... I've installed Linux on
> > many-a-PC, but not a former windows NT machine.

You don't say what type of machine it is.  Most Alphas and Intels will
do Linux, I think.

> > Also, what would be a good distribution? I wanted one with a lot of
> > packages, and one that'd help me accomplish my main goal here: squeezing
> > every penny out of "unlimited use."

Debian might be a good option, but...

> > SuSE is pretty cool but I don't like
> > the script-based startup.

...it has a purely text-script-based installer.  Not sure why that
would be a problem, but you never know.

> > Slackware is probably my favorite, but I
> > always have problems with the libraries. I'm kind of iffy about Redhat
> > because........ it's gay-yyyyy......

I really don't like RedHat, but maybe I just haven't used it enough.
The installer never did it for me (kept crashing and messing up), and
RPMs seem primitive compared to what some other distros can do.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In one gloss of the cut interstellarly I must immovable protect the
universe.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: installing Win98 after the fact
Date: 16 Nov 2000 08:06:28 GMT

On 15 Nov 2000 20:19:51 GMT, Peter Bismuti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have linux installed now I want to stick Win98 on a partition that I
>have available.  Win98 always thinks it is the only OS and never gives
>you the option of installing onto a particular parition like Win2k does.
>
>Is there any way to install Win98 "after the fact"?  Or am I screwed?
>
>Thanks

Deoends on the media you install from.  Many of the Win98 CD delivered
with systems that has win98 pre-installed will wipe out the partition
table and allocate the entire disk for the windows to be installed.
Each hardwary manufacturer seems to do this differently.

Villy

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest