From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Fr=E8re=5FOrph=E9e?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ldconfig
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:13:21 +0100

so do I have to do sometging manually?

"assign a device" (???)

--

------------------------------

From: Nick Ruisi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache-forbidden access to html files
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:03:04 -0500

~snip~

You might want to try 755 or 775 on the files..

------------------------------

From: "Paul Steckler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Restoring RH 6.2 /usr/src/linux tree
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 07:41:42 -0600

"Lee Allen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> But I don't think this results in a /usr/src/linux/.config file.
> I think you must grab one of the files from /usr/src/linux/configs and
> copy it to /usr/src/linux/.config.

Yes, I found the config files in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES.

-- Paul

------------------------------

From: John English <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 12:52:10 +0000

"K.Zielinski" wrote:

> I've just installed linux RedHat 6.2 with apache,postgres and php.
> When i want to try my www server i can see in my browser a webpage saying
> "403 Forbidden". I have checked the rights to apache home directory and
> index.html file and they are 644. So it schould work, why it doesn't ?

I had exactly the same problem -- it turns out that the version of
Apache I installed had no entry for "/" in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.
Try adding an entry like this to httpd.conf:

  <Location />
     allow from all
  </Location>

HTH,

 John English              | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Senior Lecturer           | http://www.it.bton.ac.uk/staff/je
 Dept. of Computing        | ** NON-PROFIT CD FOR CS STUDENTS **
 University of Brighton    |    -- see http://burks.bton.ac.uk

------------------------------

From: LuisMiguel Figueiredo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Looking for a distro
Date: 16 Nov 2000 13:40:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in <8uvncb$gnh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>I'm looking for modern distro (2.2.* kernel)that will install on a
>486DX 66Mhz, 8MB RAM, 512 MB HD.

Debian is great! You can install/upgrate from the net!
But... Debian 2.2 "potato" requires 12 MB RAM and like other current
distros may be a little "heavy". So i recommmend debian 1.3. It's much
lighter and you can do everything with it. BTW don't install KDE or GNOME,
stick with WindowMaker because it's much faster and have a better behavior.

Good luck,

elmig
http://www.alunos.ipb.pt/~ee3931

------------------------------

From: BO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Triple boot with NT in second drive
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:30:03 -0000

Hi Rod,

Thanks for the reply. I will give you the exact settings of my computer and
 my findings. Please suggest...

First when i erased everything and started from a clear disk, this is how
it looked:

c: 1    A    PRI DOS      500M FAT16
   2         EXT DOS      10G
Logica drives:
D:  4G  -Not formatted-
E:  6G  FAT32

Then WIN98 was loaded to E: and it worked fine. While installing Win98
when it asked where to create \WINDOWS directory, i said E: I nad no
problem in booting to windows at that time. From windows file manager i can
see all drives
A: floppy
C: fat16
D: Cannot access from windows 'cause not formatted.
E: fat32 (where windows resides)
F: CDROM

Then NT4 was installed using 3 floppys and ATAPI.SYS disk. When asked to
select to partition to install NT, the selection screen looked something
similar to this;

C: FAT16
D: FAT32 (it showed as FAT32 even though it was not parittioned)
E: FAT32

I selected D:. But it rejected saying it could not recognise the drive
becaue it was unknown format or something like that and asked me to delete
that partition and make it 'unpartitioned' and re-asign as NTFS. I did.
then i formatted it as NTFS not FAT16. then NT installed fine. I could
reboot to NT. Windows appeared in the NT Boot loader too. But when i
selected Windows to boot, it gives me the splash screen and then says
'WIN.COM not found. Cound not continue loading windows' and goes back to
DOS screen. And surprisingly, from here E: drive does not exist but E: has
been re-asigned as D: and has the Windows directory.
C: has the command.com, autoexec.bat, config.sys. All these files is
pointing to E: but E: does not exist now from windoes point of view.

When iam in NT, i can see all the Drives again.
A: floppy
C; FAT16
D: NTFS
E: (cannot access) FAT32
F: CDROM

Now what i feel is, if i would have installed Win98 in D: and NT in E:,
instead of the other way in which i did, i might be able to boot to windows
because D: will still exist from i boot to windows. Do you think the same
way?
Yes, iam going to load Linux. But i think i will do it after these two are
settled first.

Please suggest....

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "noel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Bind 9  on Suse?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:40:39 -0000

Anyone tried BIND9 on  Suse linux?

It has been tested on Red Hat linux  according to www.isc.org
but they always seem to forget the other distributions?

noel.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 15:00:45 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        BO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi Rod,
>
> Thanks for the reply. I will give you the exact settings of my computer and
>  my findings. Please suggest...
>
> First when i erased everything and started from a clear disk, this is how
> it looked:
>
> c: 1    A    PRI DOS      500M FAT16
>    2         EXT DOS      10G
> Logica drives:
> D:  4G  -Not formatted-
> E:  6G  FAT32
>
> Then WIN98 was loaded to E: and it worked fine. While installing Win98
> when it asked where to create \WINDOWS directory, i said E: I nad no
> problem in booting to windows at that time. From windows file manager i can
> see all drives

OK. First, Windows has installed part of itself on C:, but put the
WINDOWS directory on the 6GB partition. It therefore needs BOTH
partitions to boot, and they have to keep their drive letters (C: and
E:).

> A: floppy
> C: fat16
> D: Cannot access from windows 'cause not formatted.

Yes, but it's visible. This is important.

> E: fat32 (where windows resides)
> F: CDROM
>
> Then NT4 was installed using 3 floppys and ATAPI.SYS disk. When asked to
> select to partition to install NT, the selection screen looked something
> similar to this;
>
> C: FAT16
> D: FAT32 (it showed as FAT32 even though it was not parittioned)
> E: FAT32
>
> I selected D:. But it rejected saying it could not recognise the drive
> becaue it was unknown format or something like that and asked me to delete
> that partition and make it 'unpartitioned' and re-asign as NTFS. I did.
> then i formatted it as NTFS not FAT16. then NT installed fine.

Again, NT has installed part of itself to C:, and part to D:. This fact
isn't critical to understanding your problem, but it is critical to
understanding that it's a potential source of future problems, should
drive letters change or either partition become corrupted.

> But when i
> selected Windows to boot, it gives me the splash screen and then says
> 'WIN.COM not found. Cound not continue loading windows' and goes back to
> DOS screen. And surprisingly, from here E: drive does not exist but E: has
> been re-asigned as D: and has the Windows directory.

That's the problem. The code on C: expects to find the WINDOWS directory
on E:, but it's now on D:, because with the conversion of the former D:
to NTFS, Windows doesn't try to assign it a drive letter. The former E:
is now D:, and the boot process can't complete.

> C: has the command.com, autoexec.bat, config.sys. All these files is
> pointing to E: but E: does not exist now from windoes point of view.
>
> When iam in NT, i can see all the Drives again.
> A: floppy
> C; FAT16
> D: NTFS
> E: (cannot access) FAT32
> F: CDROM
>

> Now what i feel is, if i would have installed Win98 in D: and NT in E:,
> instead of the other way in which i did, i might be able to boot to windows
> because D: will still exist from i boot to windows. Do you think the same
> way?

Yes, that would have worked. It also would have worked if you'd
installed WinNT first. You could try fiddling with the files in C: to
change references from E: to D:, but I don't know whether there are
references in binary files that you'd have to change, so I can't
guarantee you'll have any luck. It may be simpler to just re-install
Windows 98, which should work OK at this point, with one possible
caveat: I don't know what it'll do to your NT OS loader. It's
conceivable that re-installing Win98 will wipe out NT.

If I were designing such a setup from scratch, this is what I'd do:

  --  primary  ext2    Linux /boot   10-20MB
  C:  primary  NTFS    WinNT         200MB or up
  C:  primary  FAT-32  Win98         200MB or up
  D:  logical  FAT-16  Shared Data   100MB-2GB

You could then add more logical partitions for Linux. Putting NT and 98
on separate PRIMARY partitions ensures that they'll each be on C:, from
their points of view. They'll be less likely to cause problems for each
other. The primary Linux /boot partition is only there to ensure there
aren't problems with the Linux kernel falling over the 1024-cylinder
mark if you're using an old BIOS and/or an old version of LILO (some
distributions still use older LILOs). You can use any of several
different boot loaders (LILO, NT's OS Loader, System Commander, etc.) to
select which OS to boot.

Whether you want to completely re-do things or patch up what you've got
is entirely up to you, of course.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Date: 16 Nov 2000 15:07:51 GMT

Nick Ruisi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You might want to try 755 or 775 on the files..

On the directories, yes. Not on the files (execute permission is
unnecessary unless they're CGIs or similar).

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"And I forgot the next verse / Oh well, I guess it pays to rehearse

------------------------------

From: "Patrick Schlaepfer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: /tmp directory
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:39:13 +0100

Does Linux (Red Hat 6.2) create the /tmp directory
into to / partition if no separte /tmp is created
and mounted. Coming form Solaris the /tmp directory
is the swap partition.
As I ran out of diskspace on the / partition I
assumed it could be that the /tmp is also on
the / partiton.
Shall I create a separte /tmp partition?

What's this file on the /tmp

-rw-------    1 web      web      213595136 Nov 10 14:07 sfsYe9KgU

Can I just rm 'it or will the system be instable then.

Cheers
Pat

------------------------------

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rsh, rexec
Date: 16 Nov 2000 16:46:34 +0100

Nevin Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 >> has anyone not been able to use backspace when connect to linux when
 >> using x windows through a rsh server or rexec server?

connecting from where?

 > when I go through rexec server to sparc. Linux? Can't remember
 > if this has happened before.
 > Everytime when backspace wouldn't work, I would try the delete key, then
 > Ctrl-Backspace, then Ctrl-Delete... one of them should work.

This sounds like you are using an xterm (it knows about ctrl-backspace,
which can also be configured).

Type <ctrl-v> <Backspace>  (or ... <Delete>) in your old
and in your new shell  and also see 'stty -a' in both shells,
look at the parameter 'erase'.  See also the manpage of stty.

Usually a 'stty erase <ctrl-v><backspace>' shold fix most things.

Also, there are other (more effective) workarounds, try:
  <Backspace>
  <Delete>
  <Ctrl-H>
  <Ctrl-8> [this always has worked for me, if the others didn't]

and certainly also the xterm stuff, if you like:
  <Ctrl-Backspace>
  <Ctrl-Delete> ?

Handling 'Delete' completely right  is a bit more complicated
as 'Backspace' - and i for myself never use it...

Sven

------------------------------

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 16 Nov 2000 16:56:36 +0100

Nevin Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 >> has anyone not been able to use backspace when connect to linux when
 >> using x windows through a rsh server or rexec server?

connecting from where?

 > when I go through rexec server to sparc. Linux? Can't remember
 > if this has happened before.
 > Everytime when backspace wouldn't work, I would try the delete key, then
 > Ctrl-Backspace, then Ctrl-Delete... one of them should work.

This sounds like you are using an xterm (it knows about ctrl-backspace,
which can also be configured).

Type <ctrl-v> <Backspace>  (or ... <Delete>) in your old
and in your new shell  and also see 'stty -a' in both shells,
look at the parameter 'erase'.  See also the manpage of stty.

Usually an 'stty erase <ctrl-v><backspace>' shold fix most things.

Also, there are other (more effective) workarounds, try:
  <Backspace>
  <Delete>
  <Ctrl-H>
  <Ctrl-8> [this always has worked for me, if the others didn't]

and certainly also the xterm stuff, if you like:
  <Ctrl-Backspace>
  <Ctrl-Delete> ?

Handling 'Delete' completely right  is a bit more complicated
than 'Backspace' - and i for myself never use it...

If you want to automatize an stty command, take care:
it only works on a tty. So if you ever launch a remote command
('rexec ...' or 'rsh command') you should bypass these commands
(mesg y/n is also one of them).

In most shells you can do it with something like
if test -t 0; then [...]  [adjust the syntax]

[supersedes my first posting]
Sven

------------------------------

From: Sven Mascheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: /tmp directory
Date: 16 Nov 2000 17:03:24 +0100

Patrick Schlaepfer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > Does Linux (Red Hat 6.2) create the /tmp directory
 > into to / partition if no separte /tmp is created
 > and mounted. Coming form Solaris the /tmp directory
 > is the swap partition.

Better: a memory based file system (which then certainly uses swap).

 > As I ran out of diskspace on the / partition I
 > assumed it could be that the /tmp is also on
 > the / partiton.

That's a reason to put /tmp on its own partition.

 > Shall I create a separte /tmp partition?

Usually it is not required.  Just if you really fear filling / up.

 > What's this file on the /tmp
 > -rw-------    1 web      web      213595136 Nov 10 14:07 sfsYe9KgU

file(1), vi(1), strings(1), lsof(1)

Such a big file looks like an accident :)  If no other process
has a handle on it, remove it.  If so, find the process and
take measures!

Sven

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: pppd exiting hangs serial port -- any ideas?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 16:18:22 GMT

Kernel 2.2.17 (was 2.2.12, .13, .16; all had same problem)
Running on a Dell Lattitude CPi with 3com PCMCIA modem and network
cards.

I dial out using an expect script which calls pppd.  Connection works
fine.  At the end of the session I end the call either by pulling out
the phone cord or by killing pppd (using -TERM because -HUP doesn't kill
it.)  Once this is done, expect exits normally and there are no
processes still alive related to expect or pppd.

At that point I can no longer use the serial port.  All attempts to
access the port (pppd again, minicom, cat > /dev/ttyS1) freeze when they
try to do so.  In order to use the port again I have to:

rmmod serial_cs  (which depends on serial.o)
rmmod serial
insmod serial
insmod serial_cs

Until recently I was having to reboot to correct the problem; then I
found a posting on a mailing list at Samba.org from two years ago
(kernel version 2.0.36?  .38?)  which described the same problem and
said that his workaround was to remove and reinstall the serial.o
module.  When I rebuilt the kernel to make serial.o a module, I find
that his workaround works for me too -- I guess that's one argument for
not having monolithic kernels.

But the point is that the problem has apparently been hanging around a
while.  Anybody have any ideas on how to fix it, or get additional
diagnostic information?

--
TravellinMan
Linux advocate :)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to setup Web-front end to linux mail server?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:58:23 -0600

We are just starting to setup a new RedHat install.

We are going to be setting up a mail server.

It has been requested that we provide access to the mail server via a
web browser.

Now I am not looking for Webbased mail administration.  This is the
answer I usually see posted when this question is asked.

I need to be able to have an outside sales person get on the internet
(ie windows98) and connect up to a web page that allows them to
retrieve their mail.

Thanks

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest