Linux-Setup Digest #51, Volume #21               Sun, 15 Apr 01 17:13:13 EDT

Contents:
  Err msg in useing pppd (Andrew Au)
  Re: modemcable login (Bit Twister)
  Re: Adding a Adaptec 2940 to Linux (Lars Oeschey)
  Re: modemcable login ("Zarquon")
  Cannot connect to my servers. ("Andrew P")
  How to get a distro for Winduhh user? (Fred Stone)
  installing Redhat 7.0 ("Jan W.M. van Kessel")
  Re: Please help: /dev/rft0 not found (Erik Veenstra)
  Re: modemcable login (Bit Twister)
  Kernel Patching Question (Rick)
  Diamond Stealth III S540 troubles (David Friesen)
  help, my gnome got murdered everytime i boot ("Mike Lee")
  Re: modemcable login ("Zarquon")
  Re: Cannot connect to my servers. (James Knott)
  Re: Cannot connect to my servers. ("Andrew P")
  Re: Kernel Patching Question (David)
  Configuring my ATI vid. card ("Dancin'  Fool")
  Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco ("Juergen Seyffer")
  Re: Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco (Jason Lott)
  Re: Configuring my ATI vid. card (Bit Twister)
  Re: How to get a distro for Winduhh user? (Fred Stone)
  Re: Configuring my ATI vid. card (Alex)
  Re: kernel / hardware problem (Aaron Brice)
  Re: Kernel Patching Question (Jason Lott)

From: Andrew Au <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Err msg in useing pppd
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:10:35 +0800

I upgrad kernel 2.4.2, after upgraded. I can't use pppd connect my isp .

Please e-mail to me . tell me how to fix

Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux chat[1196]: CONNECT
Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux chat[1196]:  -- got it
Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux chat[1196]: send (^M)
Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux pppd[1195]: Serial connection established.
Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux pppd[1195]: ioctl(PPPIOCGFLAGS): Invalid
argument
Apr 15 12:37:07 pclinux pppd[1195]: tcsetattr: Invalid argument
Apr 15 12:37:07 pclinux pppd[1195]: Exit.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: modemcable login
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:20:44 GMT

I think what you are asking is how to login into Linux
not your Cable account.

During the install RH should have asked for a password for  root
and a user account and password.  Now, if you are trying
         Login:  root
         Password:  password_you_entered_4_root_here
and it fails (assuming Caps key is in same mode as install)
you might have selected a high security setting which will not
allow you to log in as root.

Try the user account and password and if you can get in, try,
       su -l root
Password: password_you_entered_4_root_here

If you have forgotten root's password, Reboot the box and at the lilo
prompt hit the tab key and enter

linux single

That should drop you at
the root prompt where you can do a

passwd root
new_root_password_here
new_root_password_here

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:30:02 -0400, Zarquon

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: Lars Oeschey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Adding a Adaptec 2940 to Linux
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:40:30 +0200

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:32:04 +0200, Michael Heiming
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>on the kernel version you run, issuing a "depmod -a <kernel_version>
>afterwards
>Michael Heiming

Thats it. Now it works, thanks a lot. The Suse Knowledge Base doesn't
mention that.

Lars

------------------------------

From: "Zarquon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:02:38 -0400

For some reason the Tab-Enter doesn't do anything, it just boots to the same
prompt which looks like this:

modemcable04 login:

I have tried every password I can think of - my cable modem username/pass,
my root username/pass, my user account one...

I still can't see anything when I type the password, is this normal?

Thanks for any help...

Jeremy

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Andrew P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alive.computers.software.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Cannot connect to my servers.
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:52:10 -0400

I am running Redhat 7.0. I cannot connect to any of my servers from a remote
location (eg: ftp, ssh,
telnet, http), and I cannot get a response from my box with the ping
command. When I do a traceroute it gets to the gateway but dies out after
the gateway. The strange thing is when I get home I can ssh into another
server and ftp, ssh, telnet, etc.., back to my server. So this seems to be
happening only when I am away from my machine and it is sitting idle.

Someone told me to try disabling power management in the BIOS. I have done
this but the problem still exisits. I have an award BIOS.

Has anyone experienced before and can you help me?

Thank you for your time?

Andrew P

------------------------------

From: Fred Stone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: How to get a distro for Winduhh user?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:58:50 -0400

OK, so here I am with linux/mandrake 7.2, which won't
install, and it looks like I might want to try an 8.x distro
on my Compaq box. Trouble is, all I've got right now is
Windoze.

Does anybody have a writeup of the procedure for d/l'ing a
new Linux distribution and making the CD on a Windoze box?

I, perhaps foolishly, assume that this can be done...

--
Fred Stone

change g.com to k.net to e-mail me.

------------------------------

From: "Jan W.M. van Kessel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: installing Redhat 7.0
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:01:03 GMT

installing Redhat 7.0 gives in my case the following problem:
my hd is not recognized and thus installation stops!
What may be the reason for this???

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:55:46 +0200
From: Erik Veenstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help: /dev/rft0 not found
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general

"H.A.J. van Niekerk" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've a tapestreamer connected to the floppy-controller, but I can't get
> it working. When I give the command 'tar cvf /dev/rft0 /usr/download' it
> says 'no /dev/rft0 found'. When I try it on RH 5.2 it's OK, but the pc's
> running RH 6.2 just don't work. Has there been any change under RH 6.2?
>
> Please help!!!!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Huub

Do a 'mknod /dev/rft0 c 27 0'. It might help.

gegroet,
Erik V.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:16:48 GMT

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 14:02:38 -0400, Zarquon
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>For some reason the Tab-Enter doesn't do anything, it just boots to the same
>prompt which looks like this:

As soon as you see   lilo    hit the tab key (within 5 seconds)
you should see a list of OSs to choose from.  Note I did not say hit Enter.

That is where I usually can type   linux single (Enter key here)
where linux is in the list.

>modemcable04 login:
>
>I have tried every password I can think of - my cable modem username/pass,
>my root username/pass, my user account one...
             ^

             `----- This is confusing me.

I want to make this clear:  root  is a user with a password and
your user account has a password.
Your cable modem username/pass is not part of this process, guess we will
being see questions about that later.  :)

So I hope you are entering
modemcable04 login: root     <======= Ohs not zeros
Password: roots_password_here

Next I would try the rescue diskette, If you did not create one
during install, load the RH cd and see if you can get into the rescue/expert
mode and reset root's password with     passwd root

If you cannot get in with the rescue/lilo-tab solution above, I
suggest a re-install Verify that you do not have the caps lock on when
you enter root and user account info and passwords. You can change
them after you get in.

>I still can't see anything when I type the password, is this normal?

        Yes, keeps people from seeing the password.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick)
Subject: Kernel Patching Question
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:23:23 GMT

Hello Folks,

I currently run RH 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel.  I would like to
upgrade to the 2.2.x kernel to have support for the Promise Ultra 100
controller.  However, I don't know what patch level I should upgrade
to.  I have looked at kernel.org and Hendrick's patch site, but there
doesn't seem to be any info as to what hardware the various patches
support, that is, should x be 11, 12 ,13 ?  I figure it doesn't make
sense to install additional patches for hardware I don't have, but
maybe this is common practice.  Is there a list somewhere with a
description of the the various patches ?  Also, it is reasonable to
expect that the rest of RH 5.2 will run correctly with an upgraded
kernel, or should I expect to have to download upgrades of
applications ?

Thanks,
Rick

------------------------------

From: David Friesen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diamond Stealth III S540 troubles
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:23:14 GMT

Anybody have any hints for setting up a Diamond Stealth with Redhat 7.0
and gnome?  I get all kinds of garbage on the screen - especially when
dragging with the mouse.

--
David Friesen
ICQ: 1355645

------------------------------

From: "Mike Lee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help, my gnome got murdered everytime i boot
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:29:08 -0700

I just installed 7.0, and every time I boot
the screen will come flick and a message come out
saying that even though my GUI is running but it seems to be murdered
mysteriously....any help?

------------------------------

From: "Zarquon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:42:34 -0400

OK, thanks for the help. I logged in successfully. Now I need to figure out
what to do at the root prompt. Got some reading to do...

Any good links are appreciated...

Zarquon

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alive.computers.software.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to my servers.
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:50:10 GMT

If you can connect locally, but not remotely, it has nothing to do with
power management.  It could be a firewall problem or the ports may be
blocked somewhere.

--
Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly ignored.
To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with "james.knott".

------------------------------

From: "Andrew P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alive.computers.software.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:02:47 -0400

Really,

Have you heard of a program called nmap well it has indicated to me that all
the ports used for the services I connect to are open. And unless RedHat 7.0
installs a firewall automatically.... I think your theory holds no ground
whatsoever. Does Caldera install a firewall automatically I highly doubt it.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kernel Patching Question
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:23:45 GMT

Rick wrote:

> Hello Folks,
>
> I currently run RH 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel.  I would like to
> upgrade to the 2.2.x kernel to have support for the Promise Ultra 100
> controller.  However, I don't know what patch level I should upgrade
> to.  I have looked at kernel.org and Hendrick's patch site, but there
> doesn't seem to be any info as to what hardware the various patches
> support, that is, should x be 11, 12 ,13 ?  I figure it doesn't make
> sense to install additional patches for hardware I don't have, but
> maybe this is common practice.  Is there a list somewhere with a
> description of the the various patches ?  Also, it is reasonable to
> expect that the rest of RH 5.2 will run correctly with an upgraded
> kernel, or should I expect to have to download upgrades of
> applications ?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

Wouldn't it be easier to just get the 2.2.19 kernel instead of all those
patches?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.162% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Dancin'  Fool" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configuring my ATI vid. card
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:29:12 +0200

Setup: RH Linux 6.2 with KDE
System: ATI Xpert 2000 graphics card; resolution 1152x864 (in Windows);
Samsung 950p monitor.

Running the standard "workstation install" of Linux allows me only to
specify 16MB graphics memory (the ATI has 32).

Display looks OK but is skewed to the right. When a window is dragged, or
any graphics activity takes place, white horizontal lines flicker on the
display.

I know so little about this, but I went into xf86config and tried
configuring the monitor and card myself. Not a happy result (I'm on Windows
only now - the Linux half of the double-boot is unusable with two icons
crowding out the whole screen).

Help!

--
  Please post replies to group
        The Dancin'  Fool

------------------------------

From: "Juergen Seyffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Problems with Mini-PCI wavelan card from Lucent/Orinoco
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:28:24 +0200

Hello Linux-Freaks

Did anyone have a Mini-PCI Wavelan-Card from Lucent/Orinoco running with
Linux.
I have that card on a Geode GX1 Companion Board, but only see a TI 1410
Cardbus Controller with lspci or /proc/pci. Tried everything in PCMCIA-Howto
and can't find nothing on Orinoco Homepage.

Any hints are welcome

Best regards

Juergen Seyffer

------------------------------

From: Jason Lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.embedded,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:51:02 -0500

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:28:24 +0200, "Juergen Seyffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hello Linux-Freaks
>
>Did anyone have a Mini-PCI Wavelan-Card from Lucent/Orinoco running with
>Linux.
>I have that card on a Geode GX1 Companion Board, but only see a TI 1410
>Cardbus Controller with lspci or /proc/pci. Tried everything in PCMCIA-Howto
>and can't find nothing on Orinoco Homepage.
>
>Any hints are welcome
>
>Best regards
>
>Juergen Seyffer

Go here... They have the modules that you're looking for... It's slow, but they
modules that you're looking... Also, visit http://www.linuxdoc.org and check on
the Linux Wireless documentation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Subject: Re: Configuring my ATI vid. card
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:51:23 GMT

Login as root and run       Xconfigurator
from the command prompt.

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 22:29:12 +0200, Dancin'  Fool

From: Fred Stone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: How to get a distro for Winduhh user?
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:02:20 -0400

Fred Stone wrote:

> OK, so here I am with linux/mandrake 7.2, which won't
> install, and it looks like I might want to try an 8.x distro
> on my Compaq box. Trouble is, all I've got right now is
> Windoze.
>
> Does anybody have a writeup of the procedure for d/l'ing a
> new Linux distribution and making the CD on a Windoze box?
>
> I, perhaps foolishly, assume that this can be done...

My thanks to those who replied by email about where to find the
linux ISO cd image files. Such as http://www.linuxiso.org
Now I just need that cable modem...

From: Alex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:15:41 -0400

Dancin' Fool wrote:

> Setup: RH Linux 6.2 with KDE
> System: ATI Xpert 2000 graphics card; resolution 1152x864 (in Windows);
> Samsung 950p monitor.
>
> Running the standard "workstation install" of Linux allows me only to
> specify 16MB graphics memory (the ATI has 32).
>
> Display looks OK but is skewed to the right. When a window is dragged, or
> any graphics activity takes place, white horizontal lines flicker on the
> display.
>
> I know so little about this, but I went into xf86config and tried
> configuring the monitor and card myself. Not a happy result (I'm on Windows
> only now - the Linux half of the double-boot is unusable with two icons
> crowding out the whole screen).

I can't remember this for sure... There was a problem with the ATI 128
chipset driver that come with older version of XFree.

Thry the following link. I used to use this driver instead and
everything works really well.

The web page did not mention Xpert 2000, but I believe this card uses
the same chip set.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~distclai/2daccel.html

Alex.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Brice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: kernel / hardware problem
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:08:01 GMT

I don't know how to change the IRQ's that Linux assigns to devices, but if you
set PnP OS to "no" in your BIOS, the BIOS should assign IRQs and that might
fix your problem.  When I installed the drivers for my sound card (Diamond
MX300) the readme said PnP OS had to be set to "no" for it to work I believe.
You can also manually assign IRQ's to PCI devices in some BIOS's.

------------------------------

From: Jason Lott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:11:28 -0500

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:23:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rick) wrote:

>Hello Folks,
>
>I currently run RH 5.2 with the 2.0.36 kernel.  I would like to
>upgrade to the 2.2.x kernel to have support for the Promise Ultra 100
>controller.  However, I don't know what patch level I should upgrade
>to.  I have looked at kernel.org and Hendrick's patch site, but there
>doesn't seem to be any info as to what hardware the various patches
>support, that is, should x be 11, 12 ,13 ?  I figure it doesn't make
>sense to install additional patches for hardware I don't have, but
>maybe this is common practice.  Is there a list somewhere with a
>description of the the various patches ?  Also, it is reasonable to
>expect that the rest of RH 5.2 will run correctly with an upgraded
>kernel, or should I expect to have to download upgrades of
>applications ?
>
>Thanks,
>Rick

You may want to consider installing a new kernel... When it comes to patches,
you can't simply apply one patch to go from 2.0.36 to 2.2.12 ( unless it's
specialized by a contributor )... You'll have to include all of the patches in
between, otherwise you'll break the source code, by trying adding new code that
may reference new variables/symbols that should have been added from a previous
patch ( or vice-versa, old code that should have been removed by a previous
patch references variables/symbols that were removed by a later patch ).

For that reason, I'd recommend upgrading to at least 2.2.16... Keep in mind that
you may also have to upgrade some other core libraries that linux uses ( libc,
glibc, initscripts, etc. ).

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest