  Mounting a scsi tape drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Roy Pfaltzgraff III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Problems w/ D-link dfe-550tx and Redhat 7
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:19:33 -0700

I am trying to get my D-link dfe550-tx to work on a Redhat 7.0 server.
D-link says that the card is Linux compatible, but when I try to compile
the module for the card that they provided it spews about 30 lines of
error messages.  I was wondering if anybody has gotten it to work, if so
what am I doing wrong.  I am thinking that I might be missing a library
or something like that.  If you want to see the error messages let me
know.

Thanks
Roy

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: using ppp to connect to the Internet
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:30:09 -0000

You probably have a Win-Modem, which is NOT supported in LINUX. Most
modems, especially internal modems, are Win modems. Much of the software
for Win modems has been moved from firmware on the modem board to kernel-
level software in Windows. This makes modems cheaper, but puts more of a
load on your CPU when your modem is connected since your CPU has to do the
work your modem board used to. The bottom line is that LINUX does not
contain or support the Win-modem software and/or protocol. Since the Win
modem protocol is not open source, there is probably no solution to this
in sight, short of buying a non-WinModem modem.

Non WinModem modems are hard to find and can be kind of pricy. Just
because your box or documentation for the modem makes no mention of it
being a WinModem, doesn't mean it is not. Look for the description on the
box indicating it has full controller support -- that is a sure sign it
isn't a WinModem. Also, if the box claims that it can run on something
smaller than a Pentium-90, it is probably not a WinModem. After much
searching myself, I bought an external ModemBlaster modem and it works
fine.

Regards

Clark

PS: Stay away from USB modems also - as there is limited USB support in
LINUX at the moment, although that is quickly changing.

PPS: If you buy a ModemBlaster, set your ppp (or kppp if you use KDE)
settings to "CR" only, not "CR/LF", or your modem will not work correctly.

------------------------------

From: "Kurt R. Rahlfs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,hr.comp.linux
Subject: Re: SuSE 7.0 and Intel PRO/100+ doesn't work together!?
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:32:34 -0600

gkigk wrote:

> Error is: from yast2; "Something's wrong. Network is not running. Please
> check your hardware and try again ?!"
> ... I did it so many times.
> From Windows 98 everything works fine (on the same PC).
> I downloaded new Linux SuSE driver from www.intel.com, but, after new
> installation - the same situation!
> Card is recognised OK as eth0, but -> does'nt work!
> Help needed

I had this problem with Kernal 2.2.16 when I upgraged my SuSE 6.3 system.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Static IP Nightmare
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:01:55 GMT

Are you switching back and forth between computers & using a motorola cablemodem?
I had a connection problem when I did that.  The arp tables would not clear on the
cablemodem.
Basicly the cablemodem would only talk to the first computer it talked to.

Solution:  Power cycle the cablemodem, this clears the arp table and away you go.

------------------------------

From: "John Pfaff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:05:45 -0500

While it is true that Linux doesn't have built-in support for WinModems,
there are people that are having some success with them.  Of course this
depends on the modem.  If it has the Lucent chip set, Lucent has a kernel
module that will let you use your modem.  Alas, even this driver is not open
source, and is distributed in binary form only.  You can also check at
http://www.linmodems.org/ for more information on modems in general and
WinModems in particular.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Ivarsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo and minimize linux
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:07:48 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Hung P. Tran"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to fit linux onto a 60 MB harddrive. Obviously, the drive is
> too small for a standard linux installation.
>
> My first question is how to install lilo on the drive and make it boot
> linux. I tried to partition the drive using: fdisk /dev/hdc (the drive
> is connected as secondary IDE master). I just assign a single partition
> #1 (hdc1). Then I make the file system using mkfs, and then mount the
> harddrive as /mnt/d. Then I copy a few file from my original RedHat 6.1
> over. Here is an output from  "ls -l /mnt/d"
>
> total 927
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         4568 Oct 17 14:33 boot.b
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       285018 Oct 17 16:19 initrd.img
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root          250 Oct 17 17:17 lilo.conf
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        12288 Oct 17 14:30 lost+found
> -rw-------   1 root     root        13312 Oct 17 16:21 map
> -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       622784 Oct 17 16:18 vmlinuz
>
> The new modified lilo.config is as followed:
>
> boot=/dev/hdc map=/mnt/d/map install=/mnt/d/boot.b prompt timeout=50
> default=linux
>
> image=/mnt/d/vmlinuz
>  label=linux initrd=/mnt/d/initrd.img read-only root=/dev/hdc1
>
> I then run: /sbin/lilo -C /mnt/d/lilo.conf
>
> I then reboot the system and configure the BIOS to boot from the
> secondary master IDE (it can boot up fine from a secondary master IDE
> with DOS). However, I only get a bunch of 01 01 01 ... on the screen.
>
> What did I do wrong ? What am I missing ?
>
> I apologize for the long email. Any advice is appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> hung

An idea is to remove all occurances of "/mnt/d" in you lilo.conf file (on
/mnt/d) because this drive will be mounted as your rott device, right?

An then you'll want to do a "lilo -v -t -C /mnt/d/lilo.conf" to see if
LILO really updates the MBR on you /dev/hdc I everything's alright then
you can do a "lilo -C /mnt/d/lilo.con" and test if it works...

NOTE: This is how I think that it might work, I've never done it... (Do
NOT trust me 100% :))

Cheers...
--
Daniel Ivarsson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> WWW: N/A ICQ: 23155870 Tel: +46
(0)704 818702

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Bismuti)
Subject: backup HD that can be bootable?
Date: 16 Nov 2000 18:05:49 GMT

I'd like to devote a 16GB drive I have for backup.  In the case that
my master HD fails, I want to be able to boot from my slave HD (after
resetting jumpers of course).  Is this possible?  How do I do it?
I use Redhat.

Thanks

------------------------------

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: /tmp directory
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:05:46 -0500

On a multi user system you should, as a general safety precaution.

If the strange file is teat (try "file sfsYe9KgU"), then take a look
with head and/or tail.  From the owner, it appears as if a GCI program
is responsible.

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: Ryan Lovett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ThinkPad, boot freeze, lilo.conf append mem
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:27:52 -0800

On 15 Nov 2000, Paul Kimoto wrote:
>In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.1001115143928.4600A-100000@ttauri>,
>Ryan Lovett wrote:
>> I noticed that a friend's ThinkPad 770x running 2.2.16 (RedHat 7.0)
>> detected only 64MB or so of his 192MB RAM so I added
>>  append="mem=192M"
>> to his /etc/lilo.conf and reran lilo. Booting froze after restart after
>> the apmd message and before the RTC message.
>
>It may be that the Thinkpad devotes a bit of the memory to some other use.
>(This is the case with my 380XD and my 560X.  See whether the bootup
>screen really reports 192*1024 kB.)  If so, you can probably make it work
>by telling it to try 190M or 191M.
>
>--
>Paul Kimoto
>This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,
>hyperlinks, or the like shown here have been added without my consent,
>and may be a violation of international copyright law.

Yep, "mem=196032k" worked. I found this on a ThinkPad 600 page somewhere.
That person also suggested testing these values out by specifying them at
the boot prompt ('linux mem=196032k') instead of lilo.conf until a working
value was found.

Thanks,
Ryan

------------------------------

From: "H.A.J. van Niekerk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Linux and NTFS
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:14:55 +0100

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether RH 6.1 or 6.2 can recognize NTFS partitions
when directed to it in fstab?

Thanks.

Huub

------------------------------

From: "Mark W. Stroberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 11:27:58 -0800

Nate:
   @Home does not technically use static IP addresses. Even though the
IP address is unchanging, and is always assigned the same by the DHCP
server, it is not technically a static (that is hard coded) IP
address. The IP address assigned is dependent upon the host name sent
by the DHCP client. Set your host and domain names to "localhost" and
"localdomain", and then try the following:

   #dhcpcd -h <myhostname>

where <myhostname> is the station (or computer) name in Windows. The
Client for Microsoft Networks automatically sends the hostname when
doing a DHCP address assignment request. dhcpcd will automatically set
up DNS server addresses and gateway assignments. This is assuming you
have dhcpcd intstalled. You'll have to ask someone else how to
automate the proceess, but is is something like replacing the call to
"pump" with a call to dhcpcd in a network initialization script (I
forgot which script). Hope this helps.

   Mark

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 03:57:19 GMT, "Nate Fitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>    I'm running RedHat 7.0 and I'm currently a subscriber of the @Home
>network.  I'm using a 3Com 3C509x NIC.  I have been issued a static IP
>address, and I'm trying to configure my networking so everything will
>function properly.  My IP is 24.181.137.185 and the default gateway is
>24.181.137.1 - in Windows they set my machine up to be a DHCP client (even
>though I have a static IP, I don't understand that) and they didn't specify
>and DNS servers at all.  I asked them what the DNS servers are, and the
>tech. supp. people didn't even know.  Is DNS something that is handled by
>the WAN or something?  Basically, my question is, when prompted for my DNS
>servers in Linux, should I leave them blank, and if I do... will I be able
>to resolve names?  Second, since my Windows box was set up to obtain IP
>addresses automatically, should I set my Linux box up to be a DHCP client
>despite having a static IP address?
>
>-Nate Fitch

news:RqPQ5.52955$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Allen and Erin Brandt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LAN ethernet networking help needed
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 20:28:00 +0100

ifconfig only works on one machine. If it doesn't work on the other (no man
pages either), do I have to load more software or re-compile the kernel or both?

Thanks

------------------------------

From: "John Pfaff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Linux and NTFS
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:37:15 -0500

I don't believe that the default kernel that comes with 6.1 or 6.2 has NTFS
support compiled in.  You'll have to compile your own kernel with NTFS
support.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 2 NICs in RH box, DHCP no wanna work
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:28:19 GMT

Hi!

First some background.  I am not a regular Linux user.  I have some end-
user experience with a couple of flavors of Unix, however my Linux
experience is limited to installing Red Hat and setting up X windows
and a basic networking config.  I have mostly failed to migrate to
Linux -- in fact my linux machine was sitting in a closet unused until
very recently.  Some weeks ago the hard drive in my primary (windows-
based) computer died.  No loss.  I replaced it and reinstalled
Windows.  Now the trouble begins.  Since re-installing Windows I have
not been being assigned an IP address by Time-Warner (my cable modem
provider).  I have used 3 different NIC's, 3 different cat-5 cables, 2
cable modems, wiped my drive and reinstalled windows 3 times (most
recently as a "Typical" install), had two tickets in to the level 3
support desk at time warner, and talked to tech support at D-Link
(manufacturer of one of the NIC's I used).

I removed all peripheral cards from my PC except the NIC and the video
card.... so a stripped down PC with a stripped down windows install.  I
also used to work in tech support at an ISP, so I am not wholly
ignorant of the proper setup of windows networking.

All this trouble shooting has determined ... NOTHING.  All components
seem functional except (apparently) the Windows DHCP client.  I have no
idea how to fix windows DHCP client except to wipe the drive and re-
install windows, which has failed to work.

Now... I'm not asking you to try and troubleshoot why windows isn't
working, just wanted to give all the background....read on, if you will.

Two nights ago I pulled my linux machine out of the closet and plugged
it into my cable modem.... After manually running the module for the
NIC driver, dhcpcd, and ifconfig (all with the proper values, I think),
the machine was assigned an IP address and was up on the 'net.  Wow!
Thanks Microsoft!  Unfortunately I'm not any more ready to do away with
windows than I was when I put my linux machine in the closet....So, I
thought I'd add a second NIC to the Linux machine, and set it up as a
router with the local network using static non-internet-routable IP's,
thus absolving windows of having to deal with DHCP at all.

Now, here is where my Linux knowledge fails me.  After I added the
second NIC (both using the Realtec 8139 chip) to the machine I can't
seem to get up on the internet at all.  I've tried a few variants on
the commands that I was using when there was only one NIC in the
machine (primarily passing eth0 to dhcpcd to indicate which NIC is
connected to TW, but also a number of other variants that I don't
remember right now), and all to no avail.  As long as there are two
NICs in the linux machine dhcpcd never seems to assign an IP address to
either of the NICs.  Take out one of the card and things (usually) work
fine.  The only thing that my limited knowledge of Linux allows me to
think is that maybe since both NICs use the same chipset/driver there
is some sort of conflict at the driver level that could be resolved by
using NICs with two different chipsets... But I could just as easily be
passing the wrong parameters to dhcpcd, or doing any number of other
things wrong that I don't have the experience to even concieve of.

I'm using RedHat (3.0.36-0.7 I think -- could be wildly wrong, at work
now -- red hat install disk is about 2 years old).  I'm sure I will
have further trouble when it comes time to finish setting up routing
and NAT, but I would rather not address those issues now...I would be
happy now to be able to have both cards physically installed in the
linux machine and have one of them run dhcp and talk to Time Warner...
this seems like it should be so simple.

I have read man pages and HOW-TOs and asked friends and studied the
Linux and Networking books I have, all to no avail.  I'm stumped.
Hopefully there is are friendly folk out here that know exactly what my
trouble might be.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.  Sorry it got so damn
long!

--Nate Brimmer

From: "John Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Secure Copy
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:54:37 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Scott Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I can connect and pass traffic through the Secure connection, however we
> can't get the Secure Copy to work.  We can't transfer files through the
> SSH connection.  Any one have any ideas, or specific directions we can
> use to get this to work?

What error do you get? try 'scp -v' to see what happens.

John.
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mounting a scsi tape drive
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 19:40:23 GMT

Greetings,
  I was wondering how to mount a tape drive onto a linux box. I am
running RH7 and the tape drive is an external scsi tape drive connected
to a PCI scsi card.

  Thanks a lot

Simon

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest