  Re: Cannot connect to my servers. (Dean Thompson)

From: "Richard Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: 3c918 NIC initialization problems under RH 7
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:12:27 GMT

Hi, many thanks for your help. To refresh your memory, I am not able to
access my network with a 3c918 NIC after upgrading from Redhat 6.2 to 7.

According to the 3Com website my 3c918 NIC is compatible with their
3c905B-TX. There is a driver for this in Linux, it is the 3c90x driver.
Anyway, I downloaded the drivers/configuration utilities from 3COM for 3c90x
and ran them on my Windows 2000 os (resides on same disk as Redhat 7
system). I was surprised to see the message that there are no 3com 3c90x
NICs found on my system.

Next I attempted to run the configuration util in Win 2000 (Control
Panel->Network->Local Area Connection (right click)->Properties->Configure)
but did not see any setting to turn PnP off as instructed by you all. Ok,
dead end here.

So, I rebooted Redhat 7 and made the following changes to my system:
                linuxconf
                    basic host config
                        adapter 1
                            kernel module: 3c90x

and I added the line to /etc/modules.conf
                alias eth0 3c90x

When I boot redhat now, eth0 initializes OK now. TCP/IP is up, becuase I can
ping my own ip address and ifconfig -a shows eth0 is up and running.

BUT, I still cannot ping other machines on my network: I get "destination
host unreachable". All my cables are ok and hub lights are on ,etc. One
other point of interest: I reported last time that under Win2000 the NIC
works fine. And it did, I could see the network and ping. Now though when I
boot Win2000 I can't ping other system on the network either!  : (  I do not
understand how my redhat installation could affect the device under Win2000.
Perhaps it is a coincidental hardware failure

What next?

THANKS!!

Rich

------------------------------

From: "Josh K." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB dock (laptop)
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:12:49 GMT

Hi,
    Need to hook a parallel port peripheral to my laptop.  My laptop does
not have a parallel port on it.  but I have been seeing these USB docks
lately that only have serial, parallel and keyboard/mouse ports on them.
All these ports are standard and the dock has no special net chips or
anything in them.  I was wondering.  under Linux either 2.2 or 2.4 can I
hook one of these to my laptop and have the USB drivers recognize the
serial,parallel, PS/2 ports?  I at the very least must have a parallel port.

I have also seen stackable modules that allow you to build your own dock as
well.  I just need a parallel port and to let you know it is NOT for a
printer or drive so no substitutes would do!

anybody got a USB to parallel product working under Linux (not for
printers)?

also does anybody know if after USB emulation of these ports takes place if
writing to the pins via memory addresses (I.E the parallel port signals)
would work to access the port and specific pins?

Thanks, Josh

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: 3c918 NIC initialization problems under RH 7
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:49:43 GMT

You need to add your other machines to /etc/hosts with an editor of
your choice. You have to set which nic is your gateway to anywhere else
and it helps to set your routing, dns names, and gateway ip addresses.
some examples

linuxconf
 Config
  Networking
   Client tasks
    Basic host information  cxxxx-x if + then cxxxx-x.city.state.home.com
     Adapter set  Enabled
         Config mode  <> Manual  <x>Dhcp
         Node_domain   cxxxx-x.city.state.home.com
         ALias   cxxxx-x
         IP Address   nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
         Mask 255.255.255.0
         Network Device   eth0 (cable to modem)
         Accept
    Named Servers
      DNS usage   [] DNS is required for normal usage
      Default domain   city.state.home.com -----.
      ip of name server 1  nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn      |
      ip of name server 2  nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn      |
      Search domain 1  Default_domain_here <----'
      Search domain 2  city.state.home.com
      Accept
    Routing and gateways
      Set
        Default gateway  nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
        Enable routing []
        Accept
      Configure
        [x] Does not export any routes
        Accept
        Quit
    Hostname search path
       [x] Multiple ips for one host
       <x> host, dns
       Accept
    Misc
      Information about other hosts
       (here you add info about other pc in the house)

 Ok, Save. Activate changes and exit.

To test your changes (Redhat,Mandrake) do a
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

/var/log/messages contains errors if any.

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

------------------------------

From: "Zhefu Fan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: how to let solaris8 and redhat share one harddisk
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 18:07:46 -0400

who do you know how to let solaris8 and redhat share one harddisk

Thanks

Zhefu Fan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Err msg in useing pppd
Date: 15 Apr 2001 22:59:17 GMT

[NG trimmed]
[posted and mailed]
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:10:35 +0800, Andrew Au staggered into the Black
Sun and said:
>I upgrad kernel 2.4.2, after upgraded. I can't use pppd connect my isp
>Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux chat[1196]: CONNECT
>Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux pppd[1195]: Serial connection established.
>Apr 15 12:37:06 pclinux pppd[1195]: ioctl(PPPIOCGFLAGS): Invalid
>argument

Read
  /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/Documentation/Changes
and look at the bit about upgrading pppd.  You must have pppd version
2.4.0 at least to use kernel 2.4.x.  The location of the new pppd is
mentioned within the file above, so go get it.

>Please e-mail to me . tell me how to fix

There is a convention on Usenet that goes, "Post here, Read Here."  By
asking for answers to be mailed to you, you are in effect saying, "I
think my time is more important than yours," which is ludicrous; you are
only one person, and there are hundreds of people who read this group.
If you managed to post this message, you should be able to figure out
how to read any replies to this message even if you don't have a
newsreader.  http://groups.google.com/ is a good place to start.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Rio de Janeiro" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.solaris
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:09:36 -0400

I don't think, it is possible.
Okay try this.
Make 2 partition and try to installed 2nd one in separate partition and if
you can find a way to make lilo boot both of them which would be good. Lilo
needs to know which one you wanna both like Windows/Linux. Once you have
installed both linux in separate partition make your lilo configurable (if
that is possible) so it can boot both of them. Finally my concern is this,
do you even have that much space to do installed both of them?
Or use floppy disk for one.
Good luck.

------------------------------

From: Louis Weerpas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 2.2.16 => 2.4.2 wrong root filesystem
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:18:42 +0200

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 19:28:24 -0500, "Sean Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>"Ace Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:dkJz6.1335$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> But when booting, I get countless different messages complaining
>> "root fs not mounted", which culminates in "Kernel panic: VFS unable to
>> mount root fs on 08:02"
>>
>> Anyone have any (other) ideas?
>
>I get the same thing, going from redhat 7 2.2.17-14 to 2.4.3, except that
>for me it's 03:03 instead of 08:02.  My root partition is on /dev/hda1 and
>lilo is set up identically for both the 2.2.17 and 2.4.3 images including a
>root= line, but it still won't work.
>
>Sean Long

Sounds familiar. I had the same thing happening when a tried to boot
a vanilla 2.4.3. I simply forgot to compile the IDE HD support in. Had
it defined as a module.

Hope it's the same for you !,

later,

Louis Weerpas

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.unix.solaris
From: Tor Slettnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:01:07 GMT

    Zhefu> who do you know how to let solaris8 and redhat share one
    Zhefu> harddisk

On a Sparc, or a PeeSee?

What bootloader?  Silo/Lilo?

Oh, and RTFM:
        http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+Solaris.html

-tor

------------------------------

From: "Richard Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Subject: re: now you should configure dhcp
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:28:05 GMT

Bit Twister wrote in message ...

>You need to add your other machines to /etc/hosts with an editor of
>your choice. You have to set which nic is your gateway to anywhere else
>and it helps to set your routing, dns names, and gateway ip addresses.
>some examples

linuxconf
Config
  Networking
   Client tasks
    Basic host information  cxxxx-x if + then cxxxx-x.city.state.home.com
     Adapter set  Enabled
         Config mode  <> Manual  <x>Dhcp
         Node_domain   cxxxx-x.city.state.home.com

But I don't want to use Dhcp. This Redhat box is on my own local lan and is
assigned a static ip address. I just need to be able to ping and establich
TCP/IP socket connections. If I check the Dhcp box, my eth0 init hangs
again.

------------------------------

From: Richard Everhart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.suse
Subject: Networking help - ethernet/router communication
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:42:06 GMT

I am trying to set up an Ascend ISDN router to connect with my
employer's WAN.  It has already been preconfigured by the company for
which I work. The router is hooked up to my machine (Win98/SuSE 6.4
2.2.14 dual boot) via an ethernet connection and a serial line
connection.  I am able to contact the router using minicom.

The problem comes when I try to telnet or even ping the router.  Here's
what I've done so far:

- Assigned the ethernet card an IP address using ifconfig and then used
route to add it to the routing table.
- I can now ping the ethernet card.
- Added the IP address of the router in a similar fashion.

But, now when I try to ping the router, the router's activity light that
is supposed to show that packets are being transmitted blinks, but I
have to ctrl-C the ping command because it seems as though nothing is
happening.  The information I then receive is that, sure enough, to the
ping command, nothing happened.

A similar thing happens if I access the router via minicom and try to
ping my machine.  Ping reports nothing but an application, gkrellm,
shows that, indeed, my machine's ethernet is receiving packets.

Any ideas?  I'll gladly supply an files or output if needed.

Rich

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bit Twister)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:46:05 GMT

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:28:05 GMT, Richard Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Bit Twister wrote in message ...
>>
>>You need to add your other machines to /etc/hosts with an editor of
>>your choice. You have to set which nic is your gateway to anywhere else
>>and it helps to set your routing, dns names, and gateway ip addresses.
>>some examples
>

>linuxconf
>Config
>  Networking
>   Client tasks
>    Basic host information  cxxxx-x if + then cxxxx-x.city.state.home.com
>     Adapter set  Enabled
>         Config mode  <> Manual  <x>Dhcp
>         Node_domain   cxxxx-x.city.state.home.com
>

>But I don't want to use Dhcp. This Redhat box is on my own local lan and is
>assigned a static ip address. I just need to be able to ping and establich
>TCP/IP socket connections. If I check the Dhcp box, my eth0 init hangs
>again.

Then set Manual on the nic.
You will still have to set the dns, gateway ips and what not
given in the example which is what you asked for to ping and create
connections to other boxes.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 20:48:20 -0400
From: Jeff Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Booting >1024 cylinders??

I am confused, can LILO boot from a partition past 1024? I have been
told, yse/no/maybe? I have a Maxtor 40Gig and want to run both Windows
98 and Linux 2.4.0. No real problem with the two, done it a number of
time in the past. Only I've never had a disk this big.

--
Jeff Pierce
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Groman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.beos,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.be.help
Subject: BeOS + Linux + Windows 2000 - Triple boot trouble.
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 17:53:35 -0700

Hi.
I have a tiny problem. I want to triple boot between 3 OSes installed
on my PC: BeOS 5.0 Personal Edition, Win2000 Pro, and Redhat Linux 6.0(Yeah,
I know, old,
but I'll update it, as soon as I get some boot managing scheme working).

HD/Partitions:

HD1: 12 gig
     Part1: 11 Gig: NTFS      <----------Where win2k lives
     Part2: 1.1 Gig: BFS        <----------Where BeOS lives.

HD2: 2.1 Gig
    Part1: 1.9 gig: ext2fs        <----------- Where linux lives
    Part2: 0.2 gig: linuxswap  <----------- Swap space.

My attempts:
1)    Lilo: If installed on MBR of HD1, displays: "LI" and hangs.

2)    WinNT Bootmenu: Ok, I install lilo on HD2 parition 1 bootsector
dded it to a file, and copied it to C:\, added it to boot.ini. Got "LI" if
I pick Linux.
    I don't seem to have a addbeos.exe file, since I erased my install files
for beos(it lives on it's own parition now).

3) GRUB... CVSed, compiled, and installed onto HD1 MBR, displays
"GRUB" and hangs....

4) BeOS Bootman: Boots beos and windows, but BeOS refuses to
see my HD2(IDE ATA normal drive secondary master), so I can't even
attempt booting Linux from it.

What do I do?

Thanx. Groman.(sorry for crossposting, but I can't really see what this
pertains to specifically).

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alive.computers.software.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to my servers.
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:55:57 GMT

Where are you running nmap and where are you trying to access home
from?  If trying to access your home computer from a corportate network,
you may find many ports are blocked.  Some cable companies also block
some ports.  Without further info, it's hard to say where the problem
lies.

As for Redhat, if a service is available locally, it has to be available
remotely, unless something in between is blocking access.  As I
mentioned, that could be a firewall, at either end or be blocked by the
cable company.  What's between that RH box and your ISP?  Have you tried
using different port numbers?  Are you trying from work?  Can you access
other systems?

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing Redhat 7.0
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:57:44 GMT

You might have an ATA 66 or ATA 100 hard disk controller.
If you do, you might want to switch your hard disk IDE cable from the
ATA66/100 primary to the slower IDE primary and do the installation or
semi follow the instruction on ATA 66/100 installation on
http://www.geocities.com/ender7007/

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat Linux 7.1 ?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 01:04:57 GMT

To paraphrase Mark Twain:  "The news about my birth is greatly
exaggerated"
Red Hat Linux 7.1 is not out yet.  The beta version of Red Hat Linux 7.1
(Wolverine) is.

------------------------------

From: Dean Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alive.computers.software.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:08:43 +1000

Hi Andrew,

> I am running Redhat 7.0. I cannot connect to any of my servers from a
> remote location (eg: ftp, ssh, telnet, http), and I cannot get a response
> from my box with the ping command.

What sort of message are you getting when you try to connect to the services.
Is it a case of connection accept and then the connection is closed, 'no route
to host', or just nothing happens.

If you get a connection and then it closes, you might like to check your tcp
wrappers (/etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny) and make sure that you are
permitted to connect from that host without any problems.  If you get a 'no
rote to host' then it might be the result of a network error in existence
between the network that the machine is on that you are trying to connect from
and the machine at the remote end, and if it is a case of your packets going
no where, then I would think that for some reason there is a firewall which is
preventing you access from your box.

If you can provide some more information about the behaviour that you are
getting, it should help us track down the problem.

See ya

Dean Thompson

| Dean Thompson              | E-mail  - [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
| Bach. Computing (Hons)     | ICQ     - 45191180                         |
| PhD Student                | Office  - <Off-Campus>                     |
| School Comp.Sci & Soft.Eng | Phone   - +61 3 9903 2787 (Gen. Office)    |
| MONASH (Caulfield Campus)  | Fax     - +61 3 9903 1077                  |
| Melbourne, Australia       |                                            |

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest