From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: Newbie with Mandrake 6.5 - re. practicality of setting up HP 5100c ;Epson
FS 200; Yamaha DS-XG PCI Sound card.
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 19:35:33 +1300

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 16:32:01 GMT, "Texstar"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have a HP 5100c parallel port scanner that I ran with Mandrake 7.1 and
>now with 7.2. All I did was install Sane, then insmod ppscsi and insmod epst
>which are the backend drivers. I use gimp to import my scans.
>
>Im not sure if the Mandkake 6.5 kernel has the ppscsi or the epst module
>support but heck you can do an kernel upgrade and you will be in
>business.
>
>Cheers,
>Texstar
Hi Texstar,
Thanks for getting back to me re. the 5100c, it does not sound too
difficult tho. I'll have to read up about up-dating the kernel.    I
was already thinking about buying Mandrake 7.1 after reading a
magazine review so that might make it a bit easier.     I downloaded
Sane and a ppscsi patch but did not know how to use them - hence the
post I made about my lack of knowledge etc.    I know working with W95
having a full manual of ms dos commands comes in very handy at times.
I'll get back to it all next week.    At the moment I am being
distracted by CNN and the Florida recount coverage!

Thanks
Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rich Young )
Subject: Re: Small network - do I need DNS?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:24:11 GMT

Thanks, found it.
Set it up - it works great. On this small of a network, it would be
easier to do static addresses and copy the host file to all the
computers. I'll get into DNS soon, I hope!

That was so easy, I should have thought of it myself! It's just that
windows loves to do things in some convoluted way, I thought it would
be something tricky. Yet there it is under c:/windows/host!!!!!

------------------------------

From: "Julian Quinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: Static IP Nightmare
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 08:38:02 GMT

> > > IP Address: 24.181.137.185
> > > Sub. Mask: 255.255.255.0
> > > Default Gateway: 14.181.137.185

There is defintly some thing wrong with one or more of these three
configurations. Your default gateway will always have the same network
address as your box. The subnet mask indicates a class C address, which
means the three left octets should be identical. The 14 and 24 conflict with
this law.Yet if you made them the same the addresses would be identical,
definitly a no no. In order to figure out  your default gateway's address
and an acceptable IP address would be for your host you will have to contact
your cable provider. Repost and let me know if that did the trick.

Later

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: re-partiton to get rid of windows
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 00:57:25 -0800

Commercial version: Use Partition Magic 5
Open Source version: Use parted  from www.gnu.org

------------------------------

From: "Kris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: "uninstall" Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:25:29 +0100

I've installed RedHat6.2 on my workstation recently.
Now I would like to remove it and install it on a seperate machine.

The question: how can I remove Linux as well as the LILO boot manager ?

My config :

One disk with LILO and Windows95
Second disk with Linux Swap file and Windows 2000.

Currently I start with LILO, type 'DOS' and then I go to the classic Win2000
menu, where I can choose between W2K and Win95.

Somehow, I guess I have to restore the boot sector.
Is this possible ?

Thanks,
Kris

------------------------------

From: Jeff Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Subject: Re: Linux boot from floppy SLOW
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:26:13 GMT

Thanks for the suggestion. With loadlin Linux boots in less that 2 minutes.

I am beginning to suspect there is a media problem with my original boot
floppy. Is there a command to create a new one?

Thanks,
Jeff

------------------------------

From: Jeff Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:31:07 GMT

Red Hat 7 installation tried to install Lilo but failed. The error messages
went by pretty fast, so I am not sure exactly what happened, but I thought I
saw an error message regarding the 1024 cylinder limit, so assume that was
the problem.

In any case, the suggestion given above to use loadlin instead works fine, so
my problem is solved for now.

Thanks,
Jeff

AndyW wrote:

> "Jeff Stevens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > I installed Red Hat Linux 7 last week in the last 4 GB or a 20 GB disk,
> > so I am booting to Linux from a floppy. It works OK, but is very slow -
> > taking about 10 minutes to get past all the periods. Can anyone tell me
> > if this is normal, and if there is a way to speed this up?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jeff Stevens
> >

> The latest version of lilo (including that shipped with RH7.0) does not
> worry about the old 1023-cylinder limit. Have you actually tried booting
> using lilo?
>
> Andy

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Kroll)
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 09:29:52 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Cottrell) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (James Knott) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>I've got one.  On Rogers@home, you get a static IP if you're
>>not running Windows or Mac.
>>
>First time I ever heard that variation!  I'm running a RH 6.1 system
>here and the ip has changed a couple of times.  I'm running dhcp (pump,
>actually), so I never noticed the change until I checked ifconfig one
>day.  To the best of my knowledge, rogers@home ALWAYS recommends dhcp
>and does not differentiate between OS's......................Ian

Well, yes and no. I was on R@H for over a year before giving up on its
being down 18h/day and switching to ADSL. In my entire time on them, they
never switched my IP address. They threatened to do so several times,
changed my entire neighbourhood twice, but never changed me from
24.114.192.249. To my knowledge, that IP is still registered to me, even
though I cancelled the account almost 2 weeks ago.

I was never using DHCP. I could never get either PUMP or DHCPCD to work
properly. I remember many posts in rogerswave.general pointing out that for
some extremely stupid reason, dhcpcd worked when you invoked it thusly:

$dhcpcd -i crXXXXXX-a eth?

But never got it working for me. I think the main reason they never changed
my IP address is that my system was rebooted a total of twice during the
entire time I was with them (Outside of Kernel upgrades), and so somebody
else would have gotten the Spoofing error, and been a little po'd...

The funny thing is, though, that it was not until about my 25th call to the
jokers that I got somebody who realized that if my IP changed, it would be
the poor sap who got my old IP who got screwed with the service not
working, not me.

--
-RK
rkroll (at) ottawa (dot) com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Colquhoun)
Subject: Re: "uninstall" Linux
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:13:43 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 10:25:29 +0100, Kris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
|I've installed RedHat6.2 on my workstation recently.
|Now I would like to remove it and install it on a seperate machine.
|
|The question: how can I remove Linux as well as the LILO boot manager ?
|
|My config :
|
|One disk with LILO and Windows95
|Second disk with Linux Swap file and Windows 2000.
|
|Currently I start with LILO, type 'DOS' and then I go to the classic Win2000
|menu, where I can choose between W2K and Win95.
|
|Somehow, I guess I have to restore the boot sector.
|Is this possible ?

>From a DOS boot disk (or similar MS-style stuff) run

    fdisk /mbr

This puts the normal MS boot stuff into the MBR of the drive.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun,      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Universal Life Church    http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

------------------------------

From: "Bart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,nl.comp.os.linux.installatie,nl.comp.os.linux.overig,worldonline.linux
Subject: Soniq soundcard does not work
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:16:59 +0100

Hi,

I'v got an Ensoniq sound card but when I try to install it. He gives an
Error.

First:

A PCI soundcard was found in your system. The details are:
Model Ensoniq | ES1371 [audio PCI -97]

After I clikked on Enter:

The Ensoniq | ES1371 [audio PCI -97]
Is not currently supported.

How can I make my soundcard work?

Thanks, Bart

------------------------------

From: "Jin Feng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help on Win2K/linux dual boot installation
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:16:10 -0500

Oh Gurus....Here is my situation.

System:
0) 2CPU's, >128M RAM, blah blah blah.
1) IDE1 Master: 10G total, 3.3G left,
                Win2000 Server is installed here.   Is C:\
2) IDE1 Slave: DVD/CDRW Combo                       Is G:\
3) IDE2 Master: 30G total, 8G left, trivial files   Is E:\
4) IDE2 Slave: CDROM                                Is H:\
5) I have a Promise UDMA66 PCI Controller card, its IDE1
   channel has a 27G HD, 1G left, trivial files     IS D:\

Since my win2k's been running for really a long time now,
dare not damage it. My question is, if I wanna install
Mandrake 7.2, what kinda partition I need to modify (by using
PQMagic), and how to install the dual boot. I can't afford
the potential loss of current data, especially "C:\"

I did the a few initial steps in Mandrake installer. It appears
that C:\==> the 1st drive (hda, or hdc, don't remmber clearly)
     D:\==> the 3rd drive
     E:\==> the 2nd drive

I do prefer to install mandrake in D:\ OR E:\, because they're
not so important if screwed. And hope it will give me choice
which OS to boot when machine's booting up.

really hope gurus can help and thanks a bunch!!

Thanks,
  --Jin

------------------------------

Subject: NT/LINUX dual help!
From: Andrea Ferraro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:01:27 GMT

I've installed RedHat 7.0 Linux on my ThinkPad to use with Windows NT. I
installed LILO in the first sector of my root partition so MBR is safe (for
NT OS Loader).

Then...
1) I boot my system
2) I get the NT OS Loader
3) I choose to start with NT
4) I get the following error message :
"OS LOADER V4.01  -  WINDOWS NT COULD NOT START BECAUSE THE FOLLOWING FILE
IS MISSING OR CORRUPT: <WINNT ROOT>/SYSTEM32/NTOSKRNL.EXE.
PLEASE RE-INSTALL A COPY OF THE ABOVE FILE"

That's wrong!!!

Thanks.

------------------------------

From: "klelia avatagelou" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,linux.dev.config,linux.dev.diald,linux.dev.laptop,linux.redhat,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc,uk.comp.os.linux,ukc.comp.sys.linux
Subject: linux and movil phone data comms
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:04:46 -0000

does anybody knows how can I set up redhat linux to use my movil phone as a
modem?, I have the nokia data suite cable and software for windows, and it
works well, so I'd like to know if it is posible to setup linux in a similar
way...
any idea? please email... [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Kristoffer Adcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: AppleTalk on SuSE 7.0 personal
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:12:04 +0000

Hiya!

Well, AppleTalk is listed on the box, but can I find /any/ mention of it
in the manuals or installation? Having said that, I'm not the most
observant of people ...

I've got this book from Coriolis Open Press - "Setting up a Linux
Intranet Server", and its rather good. I'm trying to set up a Linux
server so that I can share files on the network between Windows, MacOS,
RiscOS, BeOS, etc. I've downloaded netatalk and the source patch from
the coriolis ftp site, and totally failed to compile it. Thing is, I
read in README.LINUX that AppleTalk is now part of the kernel, or
something like that.

So I'm a bit confused, and wondering whether anyone could enlighten me.
Can I set up my Linux box to share-out directories to MacOS with whats
in the kernel, or do I still need netatalk? Or do I need to upgrade the
kernel? Or do I need to reconfigure and recompile the kernel? (Ugghh.)

According to the SuSE box, I'm using kernel 2.2.17-pre. I can't get to
the Linux box to confirm or deny this.

Cheers,

--
/------------------------www.adcock.demon.co.uk-----------------------\
|         Kristoffer Adcock, Normanton, Derby, UK, Planet Earth       |

------------------------------

From: Lee Webb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where's my memory going?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:11:52 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Ok, this is weird.  When I boot the machine, my memory test goes up to
> 128Meg, which is what I would expect since that's what I bought the
> machine with.  However, I've just recently noticed that top, asmem and
> other memory-load checkers are reporting only 64Meg.  What's going on?
> Am I missing something obvious?  I thought my machine was spending lots
> of time grinding on the hard disks, and it appears that X is taking up
> 86% of my memory leaving only about 12Meg or so for all my apps -- no
> wonder I'm swapping so much!
>
> Anybody know why only half my memory is reporting?  If I'd blow a SIMM or
> something, wouldn't it fail the initial check at bootup?
>
> Duane

Earlier kernels don't see all your memory above 64MB RAM.
Add mem=128M to your boot up command line

Lee.

------------------------------

From: "gar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: soundblaster Awe64 Gold
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:35:12 GMT

got it going..installed sndconfig and isapnptools! Thanks

------------------------------

From: Mark Andal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Epson Printer Network Cards.
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 11:36:02 GMT

Greetings,

I'm planning on getting the epson network card so I can just put the
printer
off the network hub instead of through a computer.

Has anyone had experience setting up this card through linux or should I
setup this card through windows?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mark
--
Mark A. X. Andal
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest