Linux-Setup Digest #62, Volume #19                Mon, 3 Jul 00 13:13:11 EDT

Contents:
  XF86 and probably something with buffers (root)
  Re: How could I share resources in Linux ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Can't make (C.J.)
  Installing linux onto removable media (IOMEGA JAZ) (Jeffrey Hornak)
  Re: FTP install of RH 6.2?? (C.J.)
  Re: How could I share resources in Linux ? (C.J.)
  Linux Based Firewall/FTP info needed... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Telnet not starting on RH 6.2 (C.J.)
  Re: Apache Frontends? ("David ..")
  Re: Star office license problem (C.J.)
  Re: Intial setup of RH 6.2 (C.J.)
  Re: ATAPI Tape drives??? (John Thompson)
  Re: Moved linux partition from hdb1 to hda2...can't boot (John Thompson)
  Re: Installing linux onto removable media (IOMEGA JAZ) (John P White)
  Re: Voodoo 3 on Redhat 6.2 - Need RPM (Anita Lewis)
  Re: Xfree86-4.0 and TrueType fonts ("S. Umar")
  Re: Apps Overfilling Screen (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: Newbie needs help....  Dialup Problem with Caldera Distribution (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: resizing virtual desktop (Neil Cerutti)
  Re: Again : Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card (Scott Nolde)
  Re: Can't get modem detected ("Theodore J. Mooney")

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XF86 and probably something with buffers
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 19:11:42 +0200

i have a compaq armada v300 with a Ati Rage Mobility. i downloaded the
appropriate X server from www.linux-notebooks.org and it works ok. only
problem is that i have to attach a monitor to the laptop before i start
X because if i dont, i get all kinds of weird horizontal double windows.
when i start X wihtout any windows it looks ok. the mouse moves normally
and the backdrop looks ok. just when i put windows like xterm or a
windowmanager on it, it looks like some buffer overflows and gets
redrawn several times. only horizontally even... is there a setting in
XF86config to prevent this from happening? the odd thing is, when its
bugged up, i plug in a monitor, switch to it and back and it looks ok
again. if anybody knows how this is fixed, please
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED].

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: How could I share resources in Linux ?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 17:16:18 +0200

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:58:53 GMT, "Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have two computers, both equipped with Ethernet card and having Linux as
>operative system. I don’t know how could I make my own little network ?
>
>Could I use some random IP number and name server ?
>How could I share the resources in my computer ?

You can use all IP numbers beginning with 192.168.x.x. These are reserved for
private use. This article tells more:

Connecting LANs to the Internet via Dialup
http://www.asdf.demon.co.uk/doc/tcpip/ipmasq.htm

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Can't make
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:26:33 GMT

In article <8jppqn$98o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I get the message:
>make: *** No rule to make target 'Config'. Stop.

use config (lower case) or better yet use
make xconfig (if you have XWindows working) or
make menuconfig (if you don't)

The last two are much easier to navigate for newer users.

------------------------------

From: Jeffrey Hornak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installing linux onto removable media (IOMEGA JAZ)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:30:06 GMT

I want to install linux onto an IOMEGA JAZ drive. I understand I may take
a performance hit on the drive access speed, etc... but this is mainly for
evaluation anyway. The first issue it seems I have to overcome is that the
Linux install I'm using (RedHat 6.2) will not load a driver for my SCSI
card (AIC-6260AL). I tried expert mode, and tried a couple AHA-15xx family
drivers to no avail. I think the issue is that all the drivers look on IRQ
12 (?) and Windows 98 says the card is on IRQ 10. I guess I could change
the IRQ on the DIP switches...but I don't have those settings either.
(stupid old card!) Even if I get the SCSI card enabled, will I need
another driver for the Jaz then too, or will Linux just see it as another
hard drive? Either behavior would be fine for this. Thanks for any info.

Jeff Hornak
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: FTP install of RH 6.2??
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:34:23 GMT

In article <0P%75.14963$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "PositiveG"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> If you can, set your Windows FTP server to just look to the CD as it's
>root
>> ftp folder.
>
>That's the problem I have, I don't own the 6.2 CD, I've got a 6.0 CD.
>
>So I need to know what files on the 6.2 CD to put on the root of the FTP
>server.   I guess I could download the whole CD tree, that should do it!

Ahh.. sorry, thought you just didn't have a CD drive.

Download the entire redhat-6.2/i386/RedHat directory and below.  I don't
remember off hand if you need to give the install routine the location of the
RedHat directory or the name of the directory that contains the RedHat
structure.. ie, not sure if it will be
ftp.myserver.org/pub/install/RedHat
or
ftp.myserver.org/pub/install
when prompted during install so try it both ways till it works.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:49:07 GMT

First you'll need a cross-over cable to connect them.  (I'm assuming since you
don't mention it, you don't have a hub.)  A cross over cable is pinned out
like this:

pin 1 -> pin 3
pin 2 -> pin 6
pin 3 -> pin 1
pin 6 -> pin 2

I think Radio Shack carries them ranging from $15-25 for up to 15' long. Ask
for an "ethernet cross-over cable."  If you need longer than that, your best
bet is to find a local network cabling company and stop down and ask if they
can make you one.  I wouldn't be surprised if you could get 50' or longer
cable for around $25.

Don't just use random numbers.. you may want to connect to the Internet some
day and you'd pay for doing so then.  Use any IP addresses in one of the
ranges reserved for Internal networks...

192.168.1.x with a netmask of 255.255.255.0 would be fine.

Since you are talking about just 2 systems, I'd configure the addresses by
hand and avoid setting up a DNS server.  Pick a couple of names for your
systems and then edit the /etc/hosts file on each to add a line for each
system.

The format is
ipaddress   systemname

So if you picked nascar and daytona as your system names, you might end up
adding something like:
192.168.1.1    nascar
192.168.1.2    daytona

Once you've added that to both systems and saved the new /etc/host, AND your
ethernet cards are working, AND they are connected with your cable, you should
be able to do something like:
ping nascar

and get a reply.

>From there you'll probably want to set up FTP, TELNET and network printing.
You may even want to set up NFS which in effect would let you mount storage
resources on from one computer as if they were local.

good luck

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux Based Firewall/FTP info needed...
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:39:00 GMT

Where I work we want to set up a Linux based FTP server in house to save
money on our ISP fees. We have a very limited Linux and FTP knowledge
base and any information we can get would be most helpful. A few
questions in closing...

1) I was told that the FTP server had to be set up outside of our
firewall. True?

2) If so I was told that we would then have to set up our own firewall
as our ISP's won't allow for what we've planned. True?

3) Which FTPd program would be the best choice?

4) Will the use of Samba be required for our NT network to access the
server?

Any info or links would be most appreciated. :-)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Telnet not starting on RH 6.2
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:53:00 GMT

Well, I'm stumped (not that it is all that hard) on this one.  It loks like
the few things I could think of to check/try you already did.

------------------------------

From: "David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache Frontends?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 10:38:00 -0500

Deon Boshoff wrote:

> We are looking for Frontends for Apache and free eCommerce software for
> Linux

Not sure if these are what you want so no flames.

http://www.opensales.org/html/home.shtml

http://yams.sourceforge.net/

http://www.minivend.com/iri/mvend.html

http://www.everysoft.com/auction/

--
Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Star office license problem
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 15:56:58 GMT

Yeah, you just have to register (FREE) to download.  The newest version which
has been out about a week or two is very cool, IMHO.   Of course, little
things like support for Office-2000 file types and PowerPoint presentations
impress me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C.J.)
Subject: Re: Intial setup of RH 6.2
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:00:17 GMT

I may be wrong, but I thought the "server" install didn't install X-Windows.
Please CHECK before taking my word on that one though.  Also, you will have to
be logged in as root before doing the Xconfigurator.  Also, notice the capital
X in Xconfigurator.

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI Tape drives???
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:26:49 -0500

"K. Crane" wrote:

> Is there ANY information out there on on how to setup, install and use an
> ATAPI tape drive.  All the howto's focus on SCSI and Ftape neither of which
> helps me out much here.
>
> I have a Linux 2.2.16 system with an HP Colorado 8GB ATAPI tape drive.  The
> kernel has support for ATAPI tapes compiled into it.  I just can't seem to
> find much info on this type of drive.
>
> Any help would be appeciated

If you have the ATAPI tape support compiled in the kernel
already, the hard work is already done.  Stick a tape in the
drive and try a few "mt" commands, eg "mt status" "mt retension"
etc.  If mt responds appropriately, you can use the archive
utility of your choice, eg tar, cpio, afio, BRU, etc. to write to
the tape device.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Moved linux partition from hdb1 to hda2...can't boot
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:32:52 -0500

Keyser Soze wrote:

> I bought a new hard drive and using partition magic, moved the redhat
> partition from the only partition on the second drive to the second
> partition on the first(new) drive.  What command can I use upon boot to
> direct attention to the correct location?

Boot linux from a floppy and use "rdev" to change the kernel's
hard-coded device location for the "/" partition.  Edit
/etc/lilo.conf to change the root location to point to the new
partition.  Re-run lilo.  Reboot.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John P White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 12:04:16 -0400

Install Zipslack( a smaller distro of slackware that fits on a Zip) I
installed it to my Zip drive(96 megs total!). I did that first just for
evaluation purposes like you, and was so happy with it i went ahead and
installed red hat on my desktop, and MUlinux on my other box. Go to
www.slackware.com

john

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anita Lewis)
Crossposted-To: 3dfx.products.voodoo3,alt.games.3dfx,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Voodoo 3 on Redhat 6.2 - Need RPM
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:08:14 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 14:58:24 GMT, John Doe wrote:
>I have Red Hat Linux 6.2 connected to my Vibe connection (works Beautifully)
>but I cant get the RPM's for my Voodoo 3 2000. linux.3dfx.com is down so I
>am S.O.L. Does any one have the RPM's?
>
>Thanks

I'm not sure if this is what you need, but have a look:

 http://linux.3dfx.com/open_source/download/voodoo3_banshee.htm

------------------------------

From: "S. Umar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xfree86-4.0 and TrueType fonts
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 11:07:25 -0500

Also check to site:

    http://home.c2i.net/dark/linux.html

for more detailed explanation of using tt fonts, aliases, netscape, etc.
Ignore the font server stuff (xfs, xfstt etc.) since Xf864.0 has built
in
tt support.

--

Prof. S. Umar
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Apps Overfilling Screen
Date: 3 Jul 2000 15:19:30 GMT

David M. Carney posted:
>Hi, and thanks for reading.
>
>I'm running Gnome 1.2 & Sawfish .027.2. Sometimes Pan (& a few
>other apps, such as GTop) will open and fill the desktop I'm
>using (the desired result). Sometimes they'll do that plus
>overlap into the next work space. In order th reach the buttons
>to close, etc, you either have to move the app over with the
>mouse, or go to the next workspace.
>
>This has only started happening since I switched my default
>resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600.
>
>I don't know if there is a configuration to stop this (I've
>looked), or if some text file for the few programs that behave
>this way could be edited.

I don't know if this is a Gnome function or an Enlightenment
function, but after you have appropriately resized the new
window, you can right-click on it's title bar and select "remember
all settings" from the pop-up. The next time the app loads it
will come up in the same place and at the same size as when you
told it to "remember".

--
Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Linux on board. It is now safe to turn on your computer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help....  Dialup Problem with Caldera Distribution
Date: 3 Jul 2000 15:33:34 GMT

Christopher Adams posted:
>On 30 Jun 2000 17:52:04 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
>wrote:
>
>>Be sure that there are no leading zeros in any of your IP
>>adresses (you can edit /etc/resolv.conf or use KPPP setup). In
>>other words, you want, e.g.:
>>
>>207.48.12.111
>>
>>instead of:
>>
>>207.048.012.111
>>
>>Good luck.
>>
>>--
>>Neil Cerutti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Neil -
>
>Good idea...   Alas, it looks like my addresses have *NO* leading
>zeroes.

Well, that's what *I* did wrong. I still laugh ruefully about
reading the entire LDP manual, _Linux Network Administration_
before realizing what was going ;-)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Neil Cerutti)
Subject: Re: resizing virtual desktop
Date: 3 Jul 2000 15:38:04 GMT

Andy Kinsey posted:
>rob wrote:
>
>> How do you start gnome without being in a virtual desktop? When gnome
>> starts, everything is so big as to be unusable. I looked at my xf86config
>> file, and the virtual line seems to be commented out. I would like to use a
>> resolution of 1024 x 768, and am using the svga driver. rob
>
>Rob,
>
>I just found out how to do this myself, from the FAQ located at
>www.xfree86.org. Basically you have to go to the "Screen"
>section of the XF86Config file, and delete any resolution HIGHER
>than the 1024x768 that you are going to use.

Also, the resolution you wish to be the default should be first in
line.

From: Scott Nolde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,sg.linux
Subject: Re: Again : Problem with LinkSys 10/100 Etherfast Lan Card
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 16:28:39 GMT

Jeremy Low wrote:

> [...]
> *similar to the settings in Windows and output of "cat /proc/pci"
>
> then restarted the system and did "dmesg | grep eth0 -" and was shown
> nothing. Knowing that my LinkSys card is still not being seen by the system,
> I checked by doing "lsmod" and was given :
>
> Module                  Size  Used by
> nfs                    29152   1  (autoclean)
> autofs                  9476   1  (autoclean)
> lockd                  31592   1  (autoclean) [nfs]
> sunrpc                 53540   1  (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
> nls_iso8859-1           2240   4  (autoclean)
> nls_cp437               3748   4  (autoclean)
> vfat                    9500   4  (autoclean)
> fat                    31168   4  (autoclean) [vfat]
> es1370                 22484   0
> soundcore               2692   4  [es1370]
>
> True enough, the tulip driver was not loaded. I then tried to manually load
> it by doing "insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/net tulip.o" but was given a :
> tulip.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
>
> I then did "cat /proc/pci" and got :
>
> PCI devices found:
>   Bus  0, device   0, function  0:
>     Host bridge: Intel 82437 (rev 2).
>       Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  0:
>     ISA bridge: Intel 82371FB PIIX ISA (rev 2).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.  No
> bursts.
>   Bus  0, device   7, function  1:
>     IDE interface: Intel 82371FB PIIX IDE (rev 2).
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
> Latency=32.
>       I/O at 0x3000 [0x3001].
>   Bus  0, device  17, function  0:
>     Ethernet controller: Unknown vendor Unknown device (rev 17).
>       Vendor id=1317. Device id=985.
>       Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 11.  Master Capable.
> Latency=32.  Min Gnt=255.Max Lat=255.
>       I/O at 0x6000 [0x6001].
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe4000000].
>   Bus  0, device  19, function  0:
>     Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq AudioPCI (rev 0).
>       Slow devsel.  IRQ 10.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=12.Max
> Lat=128.
>       I/O at 0x6100 [0x6101].
>   Bus  0, device  20, function  0:
>     VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. ViRGE (rev 6).
>       Medium devsel.  IRQ 9.  Master Capable.  Latency=32.  Min Gnt=4.Max
> Lat=255.
>       Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe0000000 [0xe0000000].
>
> Doing "cat /proc/interrupts" returned :
>
>            CPU0
>   0:      25561          XT-PIC  timer
>   1:        454          XT-PIC  keyboard
>   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>   4:        280          XT-PIC  serial
>   8:          1          XT-PIC  rtc
>  10:          0          XT-PIC  es1370
>  13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
>  14:      78912          XT-PIC  ide0
>  15:          5          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
>
> Still no ethernet card. Looks like it gonna be a long and sad story :( Any

Boot in single user mode so that eth0 is not defined.  I got mine to
work just fine with the default modules in RH.

1.  Check to see if eth0 is specified before other NICs in
/etc/conf.modules (or modules.conf).
alias eth0 tulip
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x280 irq=9

2.  Is your linuxconf configuration conflicting with any manual
configurations you've done?

3.  Check your /etc/sysconfig/network for the following:
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME="whateveryouwant.com"
GATEWAY="gatewayipaddress_here"
GATEWAYDEV="eth0"

4.  After all this... try to "ifup eth0" to see if the NIC comes up.

- Scott
--
Never do Windows again with  |  Scott M. Nolde
Linux!  No streaks, haze or  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Theodore J. Mooney" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't get modem detected
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 11:26:13 -0500

Run Minicom from the command line?
Gives no such command error.

The views, opinions, or statements stated above or below
are not necessarily those of the poster. So there! Nyah!

---

"Keyboard? How quaint!" - Scotty

"E J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Here are the defaults:
> Com1 uses IRQ 4
> Com2 uses IRQ 3
> The soundcard uses IRQ5
> Doesn't windows give an explaination point
> (start->settings->control-panel->system) when it see that Com3 and the
> Sound Card are using the same IRQ?
> Do you have an old BBS number to dial up?
> Try using minicom to see if the modem works with the Com3 port
(/dev/ttyS2)
> and IRQ5
>
> "Theodore J. Mooney" wrote:
>
> >    No, it's definitely not a Winmodem. I wouldn't have one of
> > those things and I know the difference between the two.
> >    The funny thing is, it's Plug 'N' Play, but Win98 didn't detect
> > it. It detected something there, but didn't recognize it as a modem.
> > I had to have it detect it as new hardware and then use the
> > drivers on the CD to get it working.
> >    Windows says it's on Com3, IRQ5. Don't sound cards use IRQ5?
> > Maybe that's why SAT won't detect it, they're both on the same IRQ.
> >    I don't know if there are jumpers on the card to hardwire it to use
> > certain com ports and irq's. I'd have to dig it out of the computer to
> > see.
> >
> > --
> > The views, opinions, or statements stated above or below
> > are not necessarily those of the poster. So there! Nyah!
> >
> > ---
> >
> > "Keyboard? How quaint!" - Scotty

> > "Andrew E. Schulman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Go to http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html to see if you have a
> > > winmodem.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest