Linux-Setup Digest #76, Volume #20               Mon, 20 Nov 00 10:13:06 EST

Contents:
  Re: disgusted with passwd, PAM and Redhat (Wayne Pollock)
  Re: Failed dependencies -Why? (Eric)
  Re: x windows prob (Eric)
  Re: Drive removal and Lilo (Eric)
  Re: Win98 AND Linux Mandrake (Eric)
  newbie question: help with gcc & apache (William Groh)
  Re: Failed dependencies -Why? (Nils Vogels)
  Re: /dev/modem (Harry)
  Re: Which Linux to try? ("Martin Schmidt")
  Re: Kernel Compilation Errors (was Re: "Warning: Pasting would not give a valid
pre-processing token") (Bernhard Mogens Ege)
  Re: How Do I Make Vi My Command History Editor (Villy Kruse)
  Re: How Do I Make Vi My Command History Editor (Villy Kruse)
  Re: Q: Daylight saving adjustment automatically ? (Villy Kruse)
  Re: A Little Help with Installing Linux From Scratch and not from one of the
distributors (Cristian)
  old modules not found (Carsten Huettl)
  Re: Help with Ran Out of Input Data Error (pbh)
  Re: MP3 decoder-encoder (Frank Elsner)
  Re: RH 6.2 and eMachines (staplesj)
  Re: Triple boot with NT in second drive (Rod Smith)
  Re: Which Linux to try? (Rod Smith)
  I get this error when I try to install RH6.2 ("Tint")
  Re: fax server on linux for windows clients (James Knott)
  Lilo fills my screen with 00's ("Cameron Fraser")
  Re: How Do I Make Vi My Command History Editor (Colin Watson)

From: Wayne Pollock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: disgusted with passwd, PAM and Redhat
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 18:55:59 -0500

I've had the same problem, and I too hate Red Hat for making easy
things convoluted without any reason.  I used to just edit /etc/passwd
(or /etc/shadow) and delete the password.  Then one day I tried
the command "usermod" and "useradd" and these allow you to set null
passwords even when passwd refuses to.

-Wayne Pollock

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Failed dependencies -Why?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:19:46 +0100

Robert Stia wrote:

> Hello to all
>
> Hope somebody can explain this to me.
>
> I am trying to install gtk+-1.2.8   The install of that file requires
> the installation of glib-1.2.8 before gtk+ will install. I did that,
> installing glib in /usr/local/lib    When I try to rpm the gtk+ file I
> get a "failed dependencies - gtk+-1.2.8-0_helix_1_i386.rpm requires
> glib >= 1.2.8"  This isn't a different file is it?
>
> glib-1.2.8 was a tarball, gtk+ is an rpm. That shouldn't make any
> diference, right? I also tried installing glib in different places and
> then removing it thinking that the rpm had to find it in a special
> place. That did not work.  According to the glib Install sheet all of
> the necessary items are in place?  Why can't the gtk+rpm find it?

Make sure /usr/local/lib is searched!

take a look at /etc/ld.so.conf and add /usr/local/lib to that file.
Now run ldconfig

That should do the trick for you.

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: x windows prob
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:22:12 +0100

Sam wrote:

> Can some one explain why when I do the same installation of Red Hat 6.2
> on the same computer that I get a Dos logon and  X windows other
> times.....What am doing wrong in the installation process.
>
> Thanks
>
> Fred

A DOS logon??????
when installing linux?
Guess you have the wrong OS booted then :-)

No seriously,
a command line != DOS

Did you choose a different install (graphical or not) type, Both are
supported

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Drive removal and Lilo
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:27:45 +0100

Sam Varner wrote:

> I have a box with two IDE drives.  Lilo sits on hda and my
> Linux partitions are on hdb.  I want to remove the current hda and just
> use the other drive.  But I'm having trouble with the lilo setup.
>
> Here's what I tried.  I removed the first drive, set the jumpers on the
> second and changed the bios settings.  Then I booted from
> a rescue disk.  I mounted the second disk (now hda), edited lilo.conf
> and ran lilo (with the appropriate -r argument).  Lilo failed with the
> message "Boot sector of /dev/hda doesn't have a LILO signature."  Can
> someone tell me what this message means and how I can make lilo happy?
> Thanks.
>
> Sam

1) edit /etc/fstab to reflect the changes
2) make a bootfloppy
3) swap the drives
4) boot from floppy and supply the root=/dev/hdaXXX option
5) adjust lilo.conf
6) rerun lilo
7) reboot to make sure all works well
8) have fun ;-)

Eric

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win98 AND Linux Mandrake
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:30:42 +0100

Mat Capel wrote:

> I want to dual boot Windows 98 and Mandrake. In Windows i installed
> PArtition Magic and partitioned my hard disk. I then installed Mandrake,
> but now cant access any of my Windows files or even boot windows. I really
> dont want to have to format my hard disk if not necessary to get Windows
> back.
> Please help.
>
> --

read the info/manpages of lilo and lilo.conf
You'll need to add some lines to /etc/lilo.conf to boot win98 from lilo.
This is rather simple, and documented well.

(Don't forget to run /sbin/lilo afterwards)

Eric

------------------------------

From: William Groh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: newbie question: help with gcc & apache
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:42:54 GMT

Hi

I just installed Mandrake 7.2 and love it so far..

I want to install Apache but read in the INSTALL that I need a compiler
like GNU c.  So I downloaded it and have been trying to run ./configure.
I keep getting an error saying that cc doesn't exist and I need to set
the cc environment variable to a compiler.

I'm a little confused since I can't find any documentation on this
problem...please help.

Thanks,
Will

------------------------------

From: Nils Vogels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:51:54 +0100

So [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robert Stia) mumbled:

[ Glib install probs ]

>glib-1.2.8 was a tarball, gtk+ is an rpm. That shouldn't make any
>diference, right? I also tried installing glib in different places and
>then removing it thinking that the rpm had to find it in a special
>place. That did not work.  According to the glib Install sheet all of
>the necessary items are in place?  Why can't the gtk+rpm find it?

Yes, that does matter.

Tarballs don't register their dependencies in the rpm databases, so
basically your rpm doesnt ever know the glib package is there.

Try uninstalling glib and grabbing the most recent version for your
distro from http://www.rpmfind.org

--
Yuckfou - Internet with a smile!

------------------------------

From: Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: /dev/modem
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 08:47:07 +0000

>In comp.os.linux.portable Harry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>: I've been trying to get the symlink to point to /dev/ttyS5 instead of
>: ttyS3, but whenever I restart the machine it's back to ttyS3 again!

>The PCMCIA configuration script for modems will point it to your
>PCMCIA modem if you have one inserted.  If you don't want that, then
>edit /etc/pcmcia/serial.opts and change the link to whatever else you
>like.
>
>It isn't really part of the boot process, except for the fact that
>this may be the time that cardmgr first sees your card.  It will
>happen whenever you plug your modem card in.
>
>-- Dave

Thanks for this. I did get to smile after setting the "LINK" entry in
serial.opts to ttyS5. It just seemed more proper to me to use the
/dev/modem symlink. Still can't get that to stay where I want it to
though. Must be doing something wrong. And yes, it is slackware (7.1).

Harry

------------------------------

From: "Martin Schmidt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Which Linux to try?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:20:00 +0100

If you are new to linux Corel will be a good
choice, because it is easy to install and administrate .
If you have gained more experince you may want to
switch to another distro, because Corel lacks many
common linux tools , on my cd i didnt found even
the editor emacs .

Jim Cleary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> I am planning to try out Linux and have a partition available to install
> it into.
> I have copies of              Corel Linux
>                                        Red Hat 6.2
>                             and      Caldera Open Linux 1.3.
> I would welcome suggestions of which of these three would be the best to
> go for.  I have a fair amount of computer experience but none with Linux
> [or Unix].
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Jim.
>
> --
> Mr. Jim Cleary, Physics Department, University of Newcastle, N. S. W.
> 2308, Australia.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Kernel Compilation Errors (was Re: "Warning: Pasting would not give a
valid pre-processing token")
From: Bernhard Mogens Ege <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:33:17 GMT

> On Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:52:42 GMT, in a place far, far away,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg) made the phosphor on my
> monitor glow in such a way as to indicate that:

>> I'm doing a kernel upgrade to 2.2.17, and getting lots of these
>> messages during 'make bzImage'.
>>
>> What does it mean, and what should I do about it?

> I just blew away my usr/src/linux directory and started over from
> scratch.  This time I didn't get that string of error messages, but I
> still some errors at the end--

On RedHat 7.0 you must change the Makefile to use kgcc instead of
gcc. Also, before you begin anything within the kernel source tree, do
a "make mrproper". Then you can do the "make xconfig" and stuff.

regards,

Bernhard Ege

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: How Do I Make Vi My Command History Editor
Date: 20 Nov 2000 09:55:48 GMT

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 02:53:50 GMT,
          [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The "set -o" command is for overriding the default setting from the
>command line.  Try one of these commands in ~/.bash_profile, either one
>should work.
>
>VISUAL=vi
>EDITOR=vi

This is for ksh only and doesn't work with bash.

>> Do I not have this command in the right file?
>
>That is the right file.

With bash you creat the file .inputrc with the following contents in
your home directory.

set editing-mode vi

The manual for readline documents .inputrc file, although it is found in
section 3 of the manual pages.  Section 3 is meant for development use,
and might not be available without the developmen man pages.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Date: 20 Nov 2000 09:59:32 GMT

On 19 Nov 2000 17:41:09 GMT, Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You might try ~/.bashrc instead. Do any other commands (e.g. 'echo
>hello') in ~/.bash_profile work for you? Note that that file is only
>sourced for login shells, and xterms frequently aren't set up to be
>login shells. The 'INVOCATION' section of 'man bash' has more details.

Unfortunately, the bash man page doesn't talk about .inputrc which
is the important config file here.  It is documented with the readline
library.

Villy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Q: Daylight saving adjustment automatically ?
Date: 20 Nov 2000 10:07:00 GMT

On 19 Nov 2000 06:28:08 GMT, Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In <8v7pm6$ou1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Swapnajit Mittra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>]   This must be an easy one for you all
>]   linux gurus. The system time in my
>]   RH6.1 has not "fallen back" after the
>]   daylight saving Sunday few weeks back.
>]   It shows me PST (that I indicated during
>]   the installation), but it runs 1 hour
>]   fast as of now. Any automatic way to
>]   correct this (other than waiting for 6 more
>]   months ;-) ?
>

>You probably have your computer's clock on "local" time.
>In that case linux assumes that you handled the changeover.
>You eitehr need to put your system on UTC or do the changing yourself.
>(eg hwclock)

On RH systems check setclock, which is a shell program which will call
hwclock with the right arguments.  Less chance of mistake.

Booting windows the first time after the time change should cause the cmos
clock to change, so if you adjust the cmos clock with linux and later
boot windows you might get a double adjustment.

If you run linux only then the cmos clock should run UTC, as this will
give the fewest problems.  The UTC time doesn't change with summer time
and therefore doesn't need to be changed when the wall clock time changes.

Villy

------------------------------

From: Cristian <c{ristian}h{umberto}[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Little Help with Installing Linux From Scratch and not from one of the
distributors
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 10:08:05 GMT

Noble Pepper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Rick Stalker wrote:
> I still think the LFS is probably your solution. I can't imagine how you
> will accomplish this without GCC and fitting that on a floppy will be fun.

> If you use the LFS and modify to use mulitple partitions, you should end up
> with what you want.

I followed LFS but build the new system in a normal subdir. Then mounted a
ramdisk system from CD, held my breath, pack all the old directories in
/old, unpacked the new directories in place...and voila, a whole new system
... in one disk and with same partitions as the old. LFS is simple and
works great, installation took me less than a day. Good excercise.

C.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Carsten Huettl)
Subject: old modules not found
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:06:59 GMT

Hello,

after updating some RPMs my RH6.2 machine (depmod) did not recognize
the new location of some new libs
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0
/lib/modules/2.2.16.3

Nov 16 16:13:05 tamarak depmod: depmod: Can't open
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/modules.dep for writing
Nov 16 16:13:05 tamarak rc.sysinit: Finding module dependencies failed

This happens because rpm -U <file name> renames /lib/modules/2.2.14-5
/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.ori
and installs
/lib/modules/2.2.16.3

How do I make depmod working with the new /lib/module?

TIA
C.

------------------------------

From: pbh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with Ran Out of Input Data Error
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 12:05:32 -0600

Mike Jenkins wrote:

> When attempting to install the latest version of the Peanut Linux
> distribution (Linux 2.2.18) on an Intel Celeron Pentium 366, 64MB RAM, with
> plenty of disk space, the process repeatedly aborts with the
> message..."uncompressing Linux....ran out of input data....system halted."
> The same image files and installer installed fine on my Dell notebook.
>
> Does anyone know what this error means?  I can't find a reference to it in
> any set of FAQs. Is there a work-around?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mike Jenkins
> Linux Newbie

encountered same problem m'self - caused hours of sufferin' ...
after each kernel recompile you just have to run '/sbin/lilo' - I thought
it was only neccessary each time I made a new-named kernel file - but no -
you have to do it each time!!

hope this helps ...

cheers,

------------------------------

From: Frank Elsner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: MP3 decoder-encoder
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 12:29:32 +0100

Adam Foster wrote:
  [ ... ]

> Bladeenc? Use 'lame' instead - it's a lot faster (at high-quality, it
> encodes faster than real-time on my K6-2 450), it's just as free, it
> produces much higher quality MP3s (approaching those produced by the
> Fraunhofer encoder, apparently), and new versions have support for the
> potential MP3 replacement, Ogg Vorbis.

'lame' ? Use 'notlame' it's faster.

> I can't remember the URL for it, but try typing 'lame' into Google. It'll
> probably find it...

See http://hive.me.gu.edu.au/not_lame

-Frank Elsner

------------------------------

From: staplesj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RH 6.2 and eMachines
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 13:04:08 GMT

i had this problem on a machine that i built myself from parts
it seems to be a bug in the redhat gui install
you never say, but i assume that that's what your using.
i was able to get mine to work be going into text mode, i.e., type text at the
install boot problem.
also, rh6.1 and rh7 dont seem to have this problem, so you could get 6.1 and
install that, then upgrade.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Triple boot with NT in second drive
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:11:23 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        BO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi Rod,
>
> If i have to follow your suggestion of having 1 primary partitions for
> each of the OS, how can i create primary parittions? should i use fdisk?
> please suggest. I have removed all the partitions and my HD is blank now.

Any decent disk partitioning software will let you create up to four
primary partitions (the limit inherent in the data structures used on
the disk). This rules out DOS's FDISK, but Linux's fdisk will do it, as
will third-party programs like PartitionMagic. I'm 99% sure that
WinNT/2K's partitioning software will do the trick, too.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:15:33 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Jim Cleary <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I am planning to try out Linux and have a partition available to install
> it into.
> I have copies of              Corel Linux
>                                        Red Hat 6.2
>                             and      Caldera Open Linux 1.3.
> I would welcome suggestions of which of these three would be the best to
> go for.  I have a fair amount of computer experience but none with Linux
> [or Unix].

Caldera 1.3 is pretty old (the current version is 2.4). Red Hat 6.2 is
one version behind (the latest is 7.0, which came immediately after
6.2). You didn't say what version of Corel you've got, but it's fairly
recent anyhow, so it can't be older than the Caldera.

You may want to check my Web page on distributions, at
http://www.rodsbooks.com/distribs/.

From: "Tint" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I get this error when I try to install RH6.2
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:30:21 +0800

Just after the selection of which mode you like and loading of ~20 lines, I
have the message:

crc error VFS: Cannot open root device 08:34
Kernel panic VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:34
(halted)

same message on 2 different PC

Tinto

------------------------------

From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.samba
Subject: Re: fax server on linux for windows clients
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:32:09 GMT

Frank Miller wrote:

> James Knott wrote:
> >
> > Darren and Marla Welson wrote:
> > >
> > > I need a fax server package that I can run on my Linux firewall/server that
> > > allows windows clients to access faxes and send faxes.  I looked at HylaFAX,
> > > but it is a Linux server and requires an additional package for windows
> > > clients to interact with it.  What has anyone used in the past to accomplish
> > > this, or is this a nightmare?
> >
> > You might want to look into PMFax for Linux. As I recall,
> > they have (had?) a network version.  The OS/2 version is
> > excellent.  I downloaded the Linux version a few days ago.
> >
> > You can find them @ http://www.kellergroup.com/
> >
> > --
> > Replies sent via e-mail to this address will be promptly
> > ignored.
> > To reply, replace everything to the left of "@" with
> > "james.knott".
>
> Did you get PMFax lite to work?  I can't change the port.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

From: "Cameron Fraser" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Lilo fills my screen with 00's
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 14:35:53 GMT

hey guys, i have RH6.2 installed on hda2 and W2K on hda1, W2K is my primary
OS, for now, and i use VMWare to boot my linux partition from within Win2K,
but what's happening is this; when i start VMWare i get my NTLoader Menu,
select Red Hat Linux 6.2, then it goes to the Lilo: prompt, at which point
it just starts filling my screen with 00's ( ie. 00 00 00 00 00 ... )
has anybody encountered/heard of such a thing happening before? or know what
i could do to fix it?

cheers

kamrin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)
Date: 20 Nov 2000 14:58:58 GMT

Villy Kruse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On 19 Nov 2000 17:41:09 GMT, Colin Watson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>You might try ~/.bashrc instead. Do any other commands (e.g. 'echo
>>hello') in ~/.bash_profile work for you? Note that that file is only
>>sourced for login shells, and xterms frequently aren't set up to be
>>login shells. The 'INVOCATION' section of 'man bash' has more details.
>
>Unfortunately, the bash man page doesn't talk about .inputrc which
>is the important config file here.

Doesn't it? My bash(1) - version 2.04-8 from Debian unstable - has a
"READLINE" section ...

Anyhow, you can do 'set -o vi' from the command-line, and that's among
the bash builtins. I realize you could put 'set editing-mode vi' in
~/.inputrc as well.

--
Colin Watson                                     [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
"'Spirited, isn't he?' Tynian whispered to Ulath. 'Red-haired

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest