Linux-Setup Digest #336, Volume #20               Wed, 3 Jan 01 16:13:09 EST

Contents:
  Re: Newbie ? (Eggert Ehmke)
  Help Video Problem (Jeanice Albertoe)
  Re: How to install patch for ATA 100 support. ("Jarle Martin Lauritzen")
  Re: ATA 100 problem with Linux RH 7. ("Jarle Martin Lauritzen")
  Re: 4 partitions for dualboot (HP Staber)
  Linmodem and ppp problem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98. (John Thompson)
  How Do I see a Linux box using Win 98? ("donk")
  Re: How Do I see a Linux box using Win 98? (Lew Pitcher)
  How can RH7.0 handle my ATAPI ZIP disk properly? (Victor S. Miller)
  [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Manuel
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ben=EDtez=20S=E1nchez?=)
  Windows 2000 and Red Hat7 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps (Bill Hudson)
  Cannot boot - UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Hardware openions, and or comments ("Jonathan Paul")
  Gnome Login Manager ("Ken Acker")
  Re: Newbie needs some serious assistance.... (Jim)
  Re: accessing linux partitions from Windows? (Rod Smith)
  Re: install options missed the first time? (David Robinson)
  Re: Windows 98 SE + Red Hat Linux (Rod Smith)

From: Eggert Ehmke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie ?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:28:19 +0100

On Wed, 03 Jan 2001 08:52:53 -0500, Rafiq Mateen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I am trying to install kwintv0.8.5 and run into the error "Can't find X
>includes. Please check your installation and add the correct paths!"
>Please advise on this error as this is not my first time running into
>this.  Thanx in advance.

You need the X include files, they are needed for each software you want to
compile on X. The come with the development package, look for "xdevel.rpm"
or something similar for your distro.
Eggert

--
Eggert Ehmke
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Jeanice Albertoe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help Video Problem
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:37:45 -0800

Hello there,

Anybody know how to configure a Rage Fury Maxx 64mb video card using
redhat 7.0
Thanx.

------------------------------

From: "Jarle Martin Lauritzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to install patch for ATA 100 support.
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:47:43 +0100

http://sweb.uky.edu/~mabran3/linux/hpt/
hope this helps
Jarle

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Jarle Martin Lauritzen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATA 100 problem with Linux RH 7.
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:48:17 +0100

http://sweb.uky.edu/~mabran3/linux/hpt/

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: HP Staber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 4 partitions for dualboot
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:56:21  +0100

Eric en Jolanda wrote:
> C:  1 Gig FAT32 primary for WinME
> E:  1 Gig FAT16 primary for DOS
> F: 13 Gig FAT32 primary for Win and Linux later
>     I want to split this partition during installation of MDK 7.2
> D: 15 Gig FAT32 extended for Win Software, data and backup
>
> Question : will a split of F: into a Win and a Linux part create
> problems since the MBR is only able to handle 4 primary partitions ?
>
> You can't split it, nor can you make an extended partition (You already =
have
> one). You should try to shrink F: and add the space to D:
> I don't know if there's a tool that can do this though.

   FAT32  FAT16  FAT32   =2D      =2D      FAT32 ext                     =

=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=
=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=
=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D  =2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D
=2D C:WinME=2DE:DOS=2DF:backup =2D Linux=2D      D:reserve            =2D =
 =2DZ:CD-ROM=2D
=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=
=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=
=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D  =2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D=2D
   1Gig   1Gig    4Gig   =2D 4Gig =2D      20 Gig
   3 PRIMARY PARTITIONS  =2D      =2D      EXTENDED PARTITIONS

I could shrink F: to let's say 4 Gig FAT32 for Win backup purposes only
and add the remaining 9 Gig to D: and make it 24 Gig FAT32.

With DiskDrake of Mandrake 7.2 I could shrink and swap D: to lets say
20 Gig FAT32 and install MDK 7.2 in the freed 4Gig of the extended
partition which would still be below the 1024th cylinder.

Ahha - I see: this way I remain with 3 primary and one extended
partitions. Linux would be the first logical drive in the extended
partition but still below the 1024th cylinder. Great.

> Easiest solution IMO is delete both D: and F:  and recreate the partitio=
ns
> as you like. Now you will probably say: But I don't want to lose the =
data!

No problem with data loss currently - the disk is virgin (g) and apart
from C: there is nothing anywhere so far so I can play as I like.

HP Staber/Salzburg

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linmodem and ppp problem
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:02:32 GMT

Hi,

Sorry if this is a repost. Doesn't look like my first try made it out.

I'm trying to use a linmodem on a Thinkpad A20m. I recompiled the kernel and
it can dial out. But when I try to connect, I get these messages:

expect (CONNECT)
^M
alarm
Failed
Connect script failed
Exit.

Any idea why it happens and how to fix it? Or where to look and how to proceed
to debug this?

Thanks,

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Step-by step to install Linux RH7 and Win98.
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 11:37:36 -0600

gataway wrote:

> I'm going to setup a new system with two ATA 100 harddisk, one for win
> 98 the other for  Linux RH7.I'm planning to have BootMAgic and Partition
> Magic install .
> So which OS do i install first?

Install Win98 first, otherwise it will stomp on linux' boot
loader.

> And what partition is needed for noth
> win98SE and Linux?

Microsoft operating systems insist on booting from the first
primary partition on the first physical device.  There are ways
around this, but if you're starting fresh, why bother.  Other
operating systems, including linux, do not share this
limitation.  Install your linux partitions as logical partitions
inside an extended partition and you shouldn't have any problems.

> Can i have and exmaple of how much space for each
> partition?

As much as you can spare.  Just guess at first and then further
down the road you can repartition to redistribute the space to
fit your needs, once you find out what they are...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "donk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How Do I see a Linux box using Win 98?
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:38:14 -0000

I've set-up a Linux box, all working ok.

I have a win98 PC working ok.

Both can ping each other no problem.

Q. How do I configure Linux / windoze such that the Linux box appears in
Network Neighbourhood so I can use directory shares and stuff.

Step by step please, I'm new at this. No HOWTO's cover this subject. doh.

thanks

Rt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Subject: Re: How Do I see a Linux box using Win 98?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:50:53 GMT

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001 19:38:14 -0000, "donk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I've set-up a Linux box, all working ok.
>
>I have a win98 PC working ok.
>
>Both can ping each other no problem.
>
>Q. How do I configure Linux / windoze such that the Linux box appears in
>Network Neighbourhood so I can use directory shares and stuff.
>
>Step by step please, I'm new at this. No HOWTO's cover this subject. doh.

So, you want a HOWTO, transcribed here.

Actually, I'm going to direct you to the SMB-HOWTO (available from the
Linux Documentation Project at http://www.linuxdoc.org/) and the Samba
package (available from http://www.samba.org/). Samba provides a
file-and-print sharing service compatable with the "Microsoft File and
Print Sharing" installed on your Win98 machine. Start there, read the
howto and faq documents, and give us a call back when you get to the
parts you dont understand.

>thanks
>
>Rt

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

Subject: How can RH7.0 handle my ATAPI ZIP disk properly?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Victor S. Miller)
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:52:22 GMT

I have a dual boot (Windows '98 and RH7.0) Pentium MMX 166 Mhz with
32MB memory-- system.  It has an ATAPI internal Zip drive.  Windows
handles it just fine -- it sees it as a removable disk, and eject,
etc. works.  Windows will boot whether or not there's a disk in the
drive.  In the BIOS it's listed as AUTO (which is what the IOMEGA site
says is the proper thing).  However, RH7.0 has a major problem with
it:

First, if there is no disk in the drive at boot up, RH 7.0 just hangs
with endless messages about "lost interrupt on hdb".  In my fstab it's
listed as not to be mounted at boot time.  If I try to shutdown and
the drive isn't mounted, shutdown also hangs with the same "lost
interrupt on hdb".  I have scsi configured in my kernel (but not scsi
devices present).  I remember hearing that I should use scsi emulation
with the Zip drive (and my CDROM drives -- which are also IDE) by
means of the module ide-scsi.  What is the right way to do this?
Should it be in modules.conf, or in some part of lilo.conf?
--
Victor S. Miller     | " ... Meanwhile, those of us who can compute can hardly
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    | be expected to keep writing papers saying 'I can do the

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?= Manuel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ben=EDtez=20S=E1nchez?=
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:32:41 +0100

Hi all,
    I would greatly thank your help with this problem I've run through.
    I'm administering a machine running Linux Red Hat 6.2. They've been
running ok for a long while. Then, due to some recently discovered
security holes I updated the kernel to the latest stable release
(namely, 2.2.18). So I downloaded the sources, unpacked, configured,
compiled and installed the brand new kernel. So far so good. Everything
was doing all right. Well, not so. I've found network is not going on so
well.
    Right after booting everything is fine. But very soon afterwards the
network services to the machine start decaying.  While I can do usual
telnet, ftp and rlogin, I prefer ssh. But after the kernel update, ssh
connections to the updated machine take an eternity to get on. That, in
the case I finally success loging in. Then if I start any remote X
Window application, the host will create the process (ps tells it) but
no window is showed remotely.  Nothing has been changed in the client
machines, so the problem must be on the server, because everyuthing was
fine before. I haven't been able to find out much about why. All the
syslog is dumping in the messages file are messages like:
========
Jan  3 20:01:32 condor pam_console[802]: can't find device or X11 socket
to examine for 1
========

The same problem arises if I connect through telnet or rlogin and then
set DISPLAY (and xhost in the client machine): the application won't
work.

    Worst, after some time running every network service in the server
is down. I mean, it doesn't asnwer telnet, nor ftp, in some cases, not
even a simple ping.
    That's the problem. I would thank whatever suggestion on things to
check or try. I cannot figure out what's wrong, since I have NOT changed
neither the hardware nor the operating system setup.

    Thanks in advance.

    Greetings!

    José Manuel

--
José M. Benítez                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Windows 2000 and Red Hat7
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 19:58:00 GMT

Finally, after reading all of these posts all
weekend, I finally got my machine to dualboot
Windows 2000 Pro and Redhat 7.

I had been getting just an "L" when I would select
it from the 2000 bootloader.  I have been working
on it all weekend, but finally got it working, and
can load linux from the 2000 bootloader.

I have a 12 GB hard drive with the first 7.5 GB
partitioned for Windows using NTFS.  The rest of
it is for linux: /boot, swap, /, in that order.

I made numerous changes ttrying to get this to
work, including resizing my windows partition so
that my boot partition would end before cylinder
1024.  This didn't have any affect though.  I can
confirm my machine is running in LBA mode because
if I run "cfdisk" and display cylinders, it showed
everything was at or below 1023.

I believe what ended up fixing it was putting on
lilo-21.6-2, and then rebuilding the boot sector
on my /boot partition using the linuxconf lilo
module.  First I removed the old lilo package,
installed the new one ( which I had to force since
the "man" pages conflicted with another package),
removed the "linear" keyword from lilo.conf, and
added in lba32.  At that point, everything
appeared to be working by simply typing "lilo".
After "dd'ing" my boot sector to a floppy and
copying it to my 2000 partition, I would still get
the same thing. When I would type "lilo -v", I
would get a warning saying that "mapfile was
created with linear option", but could not get
lilo to recreate the /boot/map file.

Finally I resorted to using linuxconf instead.  I
went through and checked the options, and just
unchecked the linear option.  When I activated the
changes, it had recreated the map file.  When I
copied the boot sector again using "dd" to my 2000
partition, I was then able to select it, and have
it boot.

Hopefully this helps some of you out there.

Matt

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Bill Hudson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps
Date: 03 Jan 2001 20:11:30 GMT

José Manuel Benítez Sánchez wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I would greatly thank your help with this problem I've run through.
>     I'm administering a machine running Linux Red Hat 6.2. They've been
> running ok for a long while. Then, due to some recently discovered
> security holes I updated the kernel to the latest stable release
> (namely, 2.2.18). So I downloaded the sources, unpacked, configured,
> compiled and installed the brand new kernel. So far so good. Everything
> was doing all right. Well, not so. I've found network is not going on so
> well.
>     Right after booting everything is fine. But very soon afterwards the
> network services to the machine start decaying.  While I can do usual
> telnet, ftp and rlogin, I prefer ssh. But after the kernel update, ssh
> connections to the updated machine take an eternity to get on. That, in
> the case I finally success loging in. Then if I start any remote X
> Window application, the host will create the process (ps tells it) but
> no window is showed remotely.  Nothing has been changed in the client
> machines, so the problem must be on the server, because everyuthing was
> fine before. I haven't been able to find out much about why. All the
> syslog is dumping in the messages file are messages like:
> --------
> Jan  3 20:01:32 condor pam_console[802]: can't find device or X11 socket
> to examine for 1
> --------
>
> The same problem arises if I connect through telnet or rlogin and then
> set DISPLAY (and xhost in the client machine): the application won't
> work.
>
>     Worst, after some time running every network service in the server
> is down. I mean, it doesn't asnwer telnet, nor ftp, in some cases, not
> even a simple ping.
>     That's the problem. I would thank whatever suggestion on things to
> check or try. I cannot figure out what's wrong, since I have NOT changed
> neither the hardware nor the operating system setup.
>
>     Thanks in advance.
>
>     Greetings!

I had a similar problem with the 2.2.17 kernel.  I fell back to the last
RedHat-issued kernel RPM which is (IIRC) 2.2.16.

--
Bill Hudson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cannot boot - UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY...
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:22:20 GMT

This is a Linux filesystem problem. I'm running Red Hat 7.0. Please let
me know if this issue is more appropriate in another newsgroup. Thanks!

For some reason I get the error I pasted below when I try and boot
linux. When I enter root password, prompt asks if I want to fix
filesystem #1. If I type "yes," an endless column of "y" values just
prints down my screen. No other value does anything, although if I
enter "dir" prompt displays directory and asks if I want to fix
filesystem #2. If I enter "fsck" prompt returns something
like "parallel program version November 11..." but doesn't seem to run
fsck, just returns information about the program.

Don't know how this happened but it's critical as my whole system is
shutdown.

Thanks,
Irene

----ERROR-----
UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
*** An error occurred during filesystem check; dropping you to shell;
the system will re-boot when you leave the shell.
======

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: "Jonathan Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.hardawe,comp.sys.ibm.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc-hardware,comp.sys.ibm-pc.hardware,comp.sys.pc.hardware
Subject: Re: Hardware openions, and or comments
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:28:04 GMT

sounds nice but does linux support all of that really?

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ken Acker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gnome Login Manager
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2001 16:34:26 -0400

Recently I downloaded Helix Gnome and am now having difficulty with the
graphical login manager. I also have KDE2 installed and want to be able to
select it at login but I can't figure out how to add it to the list of
available wm's. Presently, I'm just booting up to console so that I can
manually start-up X in the wm that I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Ken

------------------------------

From: Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie needs some serious assistance....
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 20:50:35 GMT

I went and sent an email to the person that set this email server up for
us asking the questions you asked.  These are his responses....

No NIS, all local authentication (/etc/passwd)
All default Redhat 6.1 IMAP/POP, adduser/useradd programs, nothing
nonstandard
relating to that. Unless perhaps we have to convert the passwd file from
DES to MD5
somehow using pwconv or something to that extent.
I dont recall exactly what version you ran before but it was either 5.1
or 5.2.

Another note, any of these new users cannot login from the console
either.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Hmmmm, maybe there is something else going on then.  Cause what you
did
> > is exactly what I did, ADDUSER and PASSWD.  Email client will not
let me
> > login.
> >
> > Could there be something else going on?
>
> RedHat 5.2 used DES/UNIX password hashes by default.  RedHat 6.1 used
> MD5 password hashes by default.  Is there any chance that you're
> running a non-pamified IMAP/POP daemon (an older one)?  Are you using
> NIS or some other network authentication?  Can you login as one of the
> new users at the console with the new password?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: accessing linux partitions from Windows?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:03:50 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <h8046.30280$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Trebor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I have found plenty of information regarding linux's ability to see Windows
> partitions of various types. But what about the converse situation?
>
> I have Win95 (fat32, 2GB) and redhat 7.0 installed on separate partitions of
> the same drive. I would like to boot up Win95 and be able to mount one of
> the linux partitions (eg, /usr) to a Win95 drive letter (eg, E:).

I know of two products that'll allow you to access ext2fs from Win95:

- fsdext2 -- This is a read-only (last I checked) filesystem driver for
  Win95. It'll do just what you want, although as I say, it's read-only.
  The Web page is http://www.yipton.demon.co.uk.
- Explore2fs -- This is a read/write filesystem utility. It doesn't
  mount the filesystem read/write, but does let you access ext2fs files,
  copy them to a FAT partition, and copy files from FAT back to ext2fs.
  Check http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/Explore2fs.htm for more
  information.

There are also various DOS drivers that may or may not work in Windows.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: David Robinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: install options missed the first time?
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:06:29 -0600

Thanks!  I didn't know the install cd would work for updates.  Missed
that somewhere along the line I guess.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Windows 98 SE + Red Hat Linux
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 21:08:16 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <92qeog$aoe$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Dusan Jakovljevic" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Hi
>
> I have one question.
> I am planning to learn LINUX, and I have Windows 98 at my PC.
> How can I put both Windows 98 and Red Hat LInux in the same PC ?

There are two basic ways to do this:

- Install Linux and Windows in separate partitions. These can be on
  the same physical disk or on separate physical disks.
- Install Linux in a Windows filesystem, either on a "virtual disk" (a
  file that Linux treats like a disk) or using a filesystem that Linux
  calls umsdos, which provides Linux-style permissions and long
  filenames atop a normal FAT filesystem.

The first option generally works best, but the latter may be desirable
if you're just idly curious about Linux. This latter approach only works
with some distributions, like "Linux for Windows" (basically a variant
of the Mandrake distribution). Red Hat specifically does NOT support
this method of installation.

Most introductory Linux books and many Web sites and other online
documentation include at least basic information on repartitioning your
system to allow Linux to coexist with Windows in the first way. I've
also written a book on multi-OS systems, _The Multi-Boot Configuration
Handbook_ (http://www.rodsbooks.com/multiboot/), although it may be
overkill for your needs.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest