From: "Dan White" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Help] Problems with network and remote X apps
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 09:52:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9?=
Manuel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ben=EDtez=20S=E1nchez?=" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>     I would greatly thank your help with this problem I've run through.
>     I'm administering a machine running Linux Red Hat 6.2. They've been
> running ok for a long while. Then, due to some recently discovered
> security holes I updated the kernel to the latest stable release
> (namely, 2.2.18). So I downloaded the sources, unpacked, configured,
> compiled and installed the brand new kernel. So far so good. Everything
> was doing all right. Well, not so. I've found network is not going on so
> well.
>     Right after booting everything is fine. But very soon afterwards the
> network services to the machine start decaying.  While I can do usual
> telnet, ftp and rlogin, I prefer ssh. But after the kernel update, ssh
> connections to the updated machine take an eternity to get on. That, in
> the case I finally success loging in. Then if I start any remote X
> Window application, the host will create the process (ps tells it) but
> no window is showed remotely.  Nothing has been changed in the client
> machines, so the problem must be on the server, because everyuthing was
> fine before. I haven't been able to find out much about why. All the
> syslog is dumping in the messages file are messages like:

This sounds very much like a resolv problem. Try adding your own
IP/host and those of the other systems to your /etc/hosts file, and make
sure you have valid nameservers listed in /etc/resolv.conf.

- Dan White

------------------------------

From: "AlphaK7" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: General Linux Question(s)
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:07:59 GMT

OK, obviously, I'm very new to Linux and the answer I recieve will effect
how I go about installing Linux-

Can I install Linux on a 4gb hdd in a 533 Celeron PC and then simply move
the hdd to a different PC (different mobo, cpu, chipset, sound card, video
card, etc... possibly even monitor) when I feel like it?

I have a feeling the answer to that is 'no' due to the kernel being
optimized for the pc linus was installed on.

My second question is- What steps would someone have to go through to switch
the hdd to another pc?  Would I have to recompile the kernel, rerun setup
and have it redetect everything?

Thanks alot for your help guys.  A little background as to why I'm asking-
I sell/upgrade PCs to make extra money for college (not too many at a time,
but about 2/month) and sometimes I have 600mhz Athlons sitting around for a
while while I either find a buyer or wait for them to be able to put up
enough cash for me to let them have the PC (selling to other poor college
kids).  I'd put the 4gb hdd I'm wanting to put Linux on in my 700 Athlon I'm
on right now, but I use SyGate to share my cable connection and I'd have to
make sure I can also share internet on my Linux hdd before I can dual boot.
I'm wanting to set up a SmoothWall (a Linux firewall/hopefully ic sharing)
box and that should help, too.  Thanks in advance.

Michael Kennedy
(AlphaK7)

------------------------------

From: "troost" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LILO boots only linux
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:11:04 GMT

Henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in berichtnieuws
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> > Lets assume your Win is on partition 1 (ie hda1)
> > Put into lilo.conf
> > other=/dev/hda1
> >         label=win
> >         table=/dev/hda
> >

> And don't forget to execute /sbin/lilo to make it affect.

thnx for the advice but allas...

my lilo.conf contains :

boot=/dev/hda5
image=/boot/wmlinuz
label=linux
root=/dev/hda7
initrd=/boot/initrd

image=/boot/wmlinuz.suse
label=suse
root=/dev/hda7
initrd=/boot/initrd.suse

other=/dev/hda1
label=windows

I even added the table=/dev/hda , but no its wont work.
!lilo boots from floppy
only linux is recognised, entering suse displays that he cannot find a
kernel image

When executing lilo i recieved this :
warning: device 0x0305 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
geo_comp_addr : cylinder is too big (1275 > 1024)

This is a warning and not an error so i thought the command did succeed (or
not?) But he doesnt write anything to the floppy and booting from HD wont
work.

the lilo.log contains this:
activate /dev/hda5
5 : is not a valid partition number (1-4)
Ignoring entry 'boot'
warning: device 0x0305 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit
geo_comp_addr : cylinder is too big (1275 > 1024)

... (a lot of lines)

device 0x0305 : bios drive 0x80 , 255 heads , 1655 cylinders, 63 sectors.
Partition offset 20482938 sectors
geo_comp_addr : cylinder is too big (1275 > 1024)

It seems like he cannot reach the windows partition or something.

------------------------------

From: Nonkel Sue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DLink Networkcard + SB AWE32 Probs
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:15:38 GMT

Hello !

I installed SUSE 7.0 on my computer. Everything runs fine, except the
networkcard and the soundcard.
Linux recognizes the networkcard as a Plug and Play Ethernet Card, but
that's it. How can I manually install that card myself ?

The SB AWE32 card is not recognised by SUSE. In the left screen, I
receive a message that I have to check wether I'm using the correct
ALSA... But I'm already running the most recent version ... Is there
somebody who could help me out of this ?

Any help would be appreciated !

mvg,

Nonkel Sue
**************************************
Reply to :
Privé : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
**************************************

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Newbie needs some serious assistance....
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:26:28 +0100

Jim wrote:

> We recently re-installed Linux and have had problems adding new users.
>
> To make a long story short, we were running RedHat 5.2, had problems,
> saved all the old emails, user info, etc.  Reformatted the drive,
> installed RedHat 6.1.  Got all users back on new version with emails,
> etc.
>
> Problem:  When we add any new users, they cannot login to get their
> email.  Trying PASSWD username doesn't work either.  When I do ADDUSER
> username, it doesn't prompt me for a password.
>
> I have tried deleting problem users, re-creating them.  Tried changing
> their passwords too.  I have setup a mail client to download their
> email, and it won't recognize them.
>
> ANYONE have any suggestions? The natives are getting restless!

useradd NEW_USER
su -
<your_root_passwd>
passwd NEW_USER
<enter the password>

A user created this way should at least be able to login.
If this fails, check if /home/NEW_USER exist.
check the permissions of that directory.
check if the entry in /etc/passwd is correct.
if /etc/shadow is used, check the entry there.
check if the entry in /etc/groups is correct (if a new group is used)

run df.
see if any partitions are filled.
Are you explicitly denying users to login?
Check /etc/security/access.conf

There are so many different options to try, but this should cover
the most likely ones that are creating problems.

Eric

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: web based email
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:41:53 -0600

Head over to www.freshmeat.net and poke around a little.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrading to glibc-2.2-9 causes problems
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:46:57 -0600

David wrote:

> Leon Bourassa wrote:
> >
> > I never really bothered to check, I guess I always assumed it would.
> >
> > I suppose a person could simply do an
> > rpm -ev --force <installed rpm>
> > and then do a
> > rpm -ivh <downgraded rpm>
> >
> > Any thoughts?

> I don't think you can or would even want to force an
>
> rpm -e package
>
> Wouldn't that tend to break dependencies else where possibly causing
> problems in other places?  I always thought using the "--nodeps" switch
> would be safer.

That's what the "--nodeps" switch does: it tells rpm to go ahead
and break any dependencies it might otherwise have complained
about.  If you're reverting to an older, known-working version of
the package, then you shouldn't have to worry about rpm's
complaints. Use "--nodeps" and you're back to the older package
that you know worked on your system.

If you try it without "--nodeps" rpm might not let you uninstall
the package at all.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Danny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monster MX300?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:28:20 GMT

I just installed LM 7.2 (dual boot with WinME) and it appears it doesn't
recognise my mx300 sound card... do i have to get linux specific
drivers?  I guess so.  Do they exist?  I tried linux.aureal.com as it
mentioned during the install but that site doesn't seem to be around
anymore.

Any suggestions?  (maybe a new sound card...)

Thx,
Danny.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Subject: Re: Partitioning 20G disk for C:, D: and linux
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:04:53 +1100

Trebor wrote:

Hi Trebor!
Followed the thread and decided to add my 2c.

>  Do you think I'm good to
> go as is, or might I stumble upon something else later on?

Yes you will, when your / partition fills up. (This from personal experience.)
This made me try few partitioning designs, meaning installing two OS's in a way
that will let me have some sleep.
The solution looks like this:
a) primary partition starting AND ending on cylinder No. 1 type 83  /boot.
The size of my drive gave this partition ~8Mb volume.
b) primary partition fat32 1.5Gb for Windows98 (drive C:)
c) Linux extended type 85 and in it / (root) 500Mb, swap 120Mb /usr, /var and
/opt (This can overflow the 1023 cylinder limit as / (root)  is completly inside
and the directories tree is only for hanging other logical partitions on.
(mounting))
d) extended fat32 partition including drives D: and E: programms installed on
drive D: (In case of re-install have to touch C: only)
LILO boots Linux from / (root) and Windows from C:.
This was done by using fdisk (FDISK.EXE) each for creating partitions for its
own OS.
Till now no complains from OS's.

> Thanks,
> -Bob
>  Andover, MA

Welcome.
Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Subject: Re: General Linux Question(s)
Date: 4 Jan 2001 12:12:34 GMT

On Thu, 04 Jan 2001 11:07:59 GMT, AlphaK7 allegedly wrote:
>OK, obviously, I'm very new to Linux and the answer I recieve will effect
>how I go about installing Linux-
>
>Can I install Linux on a 4gb hdd in a 533 Celeron PC and then simply move
>the hdd to a different PC (different mobo, cpu, chipset, sound card, video
>card, etc... possibly even monitor) when I feel like it?
>
>I have a feeling the answer to that is 'no' due to the kernel being
>optimized for the pc linus was installed on.

Generally the default kernels will run on anything upward from IBM pc
compatibles 386. Console is the lowest common denominator for any video
card so you should be able to get console working when you switch the
hard disc. Now if you use pentium optimisation when compiling your own
kernel, and try to stich it in a 486, the kernel won't boot.

The graphical userinterface X _is_ dependant on the video card, so that
will need to be reconfigured when you make the switch.

The same holds for the soundcard. But you can configure linux that it
will try to load both sound modules, which will only succeed in loading
the module for the soundcard present.

>My second question is- What steps would someone have to go through to switch
>the hdd to another pc?  Would I have to recompile the kernel, rerun setup
>and have it redetect everything?

No when you use a simple 386 compatible kernel, compile simply
everything you might encounter as modules (when possible, otherwise buld
it statically into the kernel) so you can load them when the need
arises.

When you switch the hard disc to a new pc, boot, load the new required
modules by hand, with the "modprobe" command, reconfigure X, and you
should be done.

--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                            mail:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:28:00 +1100

AlphaK7 wrote:

> OK, obviously, I'm very new to Linux and the answer I recieve will effect
> how I go about installing Linux-

Welcome to Linux-land!
Given the state of hardware diversity it is impossible to transfer a finely
tuned working system from one box to other.
What CAN be transferred is a disk that will boot and give you the command
prompt, how you procede from this point is a big question. X-Windowing GUI,
networking and even the lowly mouse can be incompatible between the two systems.

But text console and QUERTY keyboard are working.
You may spent more time on tuning than on installing from scratch.
So try and share your experiences with us.

> Michael Kennedy
> (AlphaK7)

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RedHat 6.1 does not see the hard disks
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:12:41 GMT

Trying to install RedHat 6.1 on my new HP LC2000 system but the
installation does not see the hard disks. The error message given
is: "An error has occurred-no valid devices were found on which to
create new file systems. Please check your hardware for the cause of
this problem."; thus the installation fails.

Have a feeling that the divers for these disks do not exist in which
case I am doomed.

The BIOS sees them, but not the installation. If it helps the disks
are: HP 18.2GB 7200 Ultra3 Wide SCSI-3 HS HDD      (3 pieces)
HP 9.1GB 7200 Ultra3 Wide SCSI-3 LVD HDD      (1 piece)

Does anyone have any ideas?

Regards,

Haris

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

------------------------------

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 13:28:17 +0100

Trebor wrote:

> Hmm .. I've applied all the fixes suggested by a previous poster (Markus),
> which covers your suggestions as well, EXCEPT .. you additionally advise
> making the W95 C: partition be the *FIRST* primary partition of the drive.
>
> Well, I already made the fist partition be linux /. The W95 partition (type
> 0Ch) is the *second* primary partition on the drive. Both partitions
> combined total just under 8GB (88M + 7.6G, respectively).

This wasn't required. linux /boot must be entirely below cyl. 1024,
windows only partly. Windows has a less elaborate allocation technique,
that
in this case works out nice. The windows kernel is always at the start
of the partition.
Linux can place the kernel anywhere in the partition where /boot is,
therefor, with linux
the partition that contains the kernel, must be entirely below cyl. 0124

I would have put /home on a separate partition too. It's another
directory that tends
to fill rapidly too. Well if you ever get a chance to repartition, you
could better
just allocate a partition of 1 cylinder for /boot at the start of the
disc (approx 16M)
the rest of / can than be a logical, where you have more space to spare.

> I'm using LILO,
> and I've successfully booted to both linux and W95. Do you think I'm good to
> go as is, or might I stumble upon something else later on?

No need, windows requires the first partition it is aware of.
linux partition types are unknown, so no problem here.

> > >  Partition 1: linux boot partition (type 83) (size: 88M)
> > >  Partition 2: Win95 drive C: (type 0Ch) (size: 7.6G)
> > >  Partition 3: Win95 drive D: (type 0Ch) (size: 7.6G)
> > >  Partition 4: Extended part'n (type 5) (size: remainder of drive)

change this type to 0x0F (or 0x85 if there are only linux partitions
inside)

> > > The extended partition would contain the following logical drives:
> > >
> > >  Logical 1: linux swap (type 82) (size: 196M)
> > >  Logical 2: linux /tmp (type 83) (size: 196M)
> > >  Logical 3: linux /var (type 83) (size: 196M)
> > >  Logical 4: linux /usr (type 83) (size: remainder of ext. part'n)

For the rest, if you have partitiontable problems, list the output of
`/sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hda`

Don't skip any of the comments, just c'n'p
To analyze the table, and see why something fails, we need the full
listing.
(There probably was no need to fully reinstall everything)

Eric

------------------------------

From: "routerl" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE2.0 Installation - PLEASE HELP!
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:39:43 GMT

Dude, thank you so much.

routerl

------------------------------

From: "Andrew O'Brien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I allow Exchange mail to pass through our Linux firewall?
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 23:52:09 +1100

use ipchains or ipmasqadm to forward all mail traffic to your Exchange
server.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Cannot boot - UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY...
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 13:44:23 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> ----ERROR-----
> UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY
> *** An error occurred during filesystem check; dropping you to shell;
> the system will re-boot when you leave the shell.
> ------
        Try e2fsck -v -y /dev/hdaX

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Moltkestrasse 19

------------------------------

From: Mark Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Help: Adatec ava-1505/1515 IRQ problems
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 12:57:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, goble@gtech says...
> Hi all;
>
> I have just spent the just 24 hours building faster computer for my
> linux/win95 system.
>
> I have verything working, excetp this damn SCSI card.
>
> The card itself has the following jumper on;
>
>       BEN, AS1, AS0, I09, DN: for I-O 140-015f IRQ 9
>
> Win95 has then assumed IRQ 12 when I try adding new hardware.
>
> When I rebbot win95 says there is a problem.
>
> Under General:Device status;
>       to see hardware documentation (code 10).
>
> Problem is IU have no documentation.
>
> Under Resources: Conflicting devices list;
>       no conflicts.
>
> Can anyone help, please :<

Hmmmmm.
you post this to 5 or 6 linux groups and then report the *win95*
errors????

first off the card is jumpered to IRQ 9, and you are making windoz think
its on IRQ 12. if you dont kow how to correct this Im not going to tell
you.

if you perchance *did* mean to ask for a linux solution, I'll give you
that. the ADA 1505/1515 are very old ISA cards, and you need to load a
specific module and pass it exact perameters. there is no auto detect at
all for this card. I load mine early in my /etc/rc.sysinit file (I run
RH6.2)
/sbin/modprobe aha152x aha152x=0x340,11,7,1,1

this will load the adaptec driver and tell it to look for the card at I/O
port 340, IRQ 11, SCSI address of card 7. I cant remember what the other
two parameters are, but they are necessary. I actually cribbed this info
originally from the suse info database :)

also, from your post:
>       BEN, AS1, AS0, I09, DN: for I-O 140-015f IRQ 9
BEN=Boot enable.. enable the SCSI disk boot bios, a disk at ID 0 will
become /dev/hda (c:) and a disk on ID1 will become /dev/hdb (d:)
AS1, AS0 are *maybe* DMA chanel addresses, having both on might be a bad
idea (Im guessing here)
IO9 is probably the IRQ address
I-O 140-015f is the memory address.

for more info adaptec still keep thier tech specs online at
http://www.adaptec.com/products/overview/ava1505.html

--
Mark Lambert
Unix Sysadmin & Consultant

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest