Linux-Setup Digest #341, Volume #21              Thu, 31 May 01 11:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: SCSI problems (Eric DESHAYES)
  Re: Delaying eth0 initialization (Steve Martin)
  redialer for dial up connection (Fruitbat)
  Patching 2.4.3 kernel with XFS doesn't work (vrw)
  Re: Linux, CPU HLT instruction et software cooling ! (faeychyld)
  rh7.1 ("Riyaz Mansoor")
  Re: Timezone and Timeserver (faeychyld)
  Re: rh7.1 (coffee)
  Problem with D815EEA2 inboard LAN chip ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Patching 2.4.3 kernel with XFS doesn't work ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Installation problem -- Redhat 6.2 on Pentinum 4 (1.7G) ("White Horse")
  Re: rh7.1 ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Palm setup &serial Ports ("Benoit Cosandey")
  Printing to multiple printers at the same time (Chris Zimmerman)
  Re: rh7.1 ("JP")
  Can't halt or reboot system ("Eric Chow")
  Re: Dual Boot Win2K and Linux ("Eric")
  Re: DNS lookup fails (Lee Merrill)
  Re: PARIDE (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file? ("Jody")
  RH 7.1 printing ("jf")
  Re: Timezone and Timeserver (Paul Kimoto)
  Re: core umped ("makame70")
  Re: Lynx through proxy (Danie Roux)

From: Eric DESHAYES <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: SCSI problems
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:30:05 +0200

for writing cd, i have been told that you need the kernel 2.4.5(maybe
2.4.4).
otherwise, you have the pb you described

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Delaying eth0 initialization
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 07:02:34 -0400

Richard Young wrote:

>    I have the same problem with RedHat 7.0. I have discovered that if I run
> "insmod 3c509" after boot then startx and activate the module in netcfg then my
> network works ok. My /etc/modules.conf looks like it has the correct enteries. But
> it won't load the module at boot. Anybody have any ideas....Thanks....Rich

Under 7.0/7.1, you should be able to build a file called /etc/rc.modules
in which you can manually modprobe your modules, and it'll be run at
startup from /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit. Be sure to put execute permission
on rc.modules.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Fruitbat)
Subject: redialer for dial up connection
Date: 31 May 2001 04:16:00 -0700

Hi,

I'm a bit of a linux newbie using mandrake 8.0. I have managed to set
up the box which I use to route a dial up 56k connection to 2 windows
clients, and it works fine, but I have 2 questions

1) Is there an alternative dial up app that I can use that
automatically will redial a connection if it doesn't connect first
time? I am very limited to ISP's because I'm on NTL in the UK. I use
BigBlueSky which normally needs about 10 redials, but you don't get
busy tones, if you can't log in, it gives you the authentication error
(invalid username/password). Is there an app which will redail if I
get this error until it connects

2) I want to be able to view the linux box from either of the windows
clients, as it doesn't have a dedicated monitor. I installed VNC,
which seemed to work OK until I rebooted the linux box. then when
booting up, it hangs on 'Starting VNC Server' and wont go through to
the login screen. Any ideas why this could be?

thanks guys!

Fruitbat

------------------------------

From: vrw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Patching 2.4.3 kernel with XFS doesn't work
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:28:24 +0100

Hi all,
When I tried to patch a vanilla 2.4.3 kernel with SGI's
"linux-2.4.3-core-xfs-1.0.patch.gz" patch and then tried to compile the
kernel, it went bye-bye during the 'make dep' phase; it was complaining
about sth. missing in the "openpromfs" directory, and there were also
problems with 'pagebuf'. (Can supply actual errors if needed.)
Does anyone know whether this is my shining ignorance of how to set this
patch up, or is it a known problem with a workaround ?

Thanks for any help,

I REALLY wanna see how XFS performs... :o)

Regards,

Volkmar

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:23:45 +1000
From: faeychyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux, CPU HLT instruction et software cooling !

Georges Goncalves wrote:

> Hi people,
>
>  I have a technical question on these topics...
>
>  Hardware : AMD Duron 700 @ 950 on Abit KT7, OS Win2K SP2
>             AMD Duron 700 @ 900 on Abit KT7, OS GNU/Linux (Debian SID)
>
> When the machines are doing NOTHING (Idle) the working temperature is an
> average of 55°. On Win2K, I use the HMonitor tool to get temperatures.
> It features a "CPU Low Power Mode" option to check (doc says it uses
> the HLT command of the CPU to reduce power consumption hence the
> temperature drop). It works because a couple of minutes later, the
> temperature drops to 39-40°... (a reboot and the BIOS confirms
> this temperature). I use LMSensors on Linux to get the temperatures and
> it also works at an average temperature of 55° but the temperature
> never drops.
>
> What puzzles me is that all modern OSes (WinNT/2K, Linux and others) are
> ALREADY meant to use the CPU HLT command when they're Idle, but, the
> temperature remains constant (does not drop) HMonitor claims using the
> HLT command and the temperature really drops.
>
> Who's right, who's wrong ?
>
> Anyone knows a similar tool on Linux ?
>
> PS: I've recompiled the kernel with APM support "Make Idle CPU calls" or
> some
> to try the feature but the temperature variation was about a quarter of
> a degree.
>
> --
> Georges 'Melkor' Goncalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Just an observation here, Linux uses sys logging and cron
to perform various housekeeping tasks constantly.

I am not sure if the cpu would be halted and started each time these
functions were accessed. Windows approach is quite different,it will
sit idle for hours with the drive(s) shut down, so why not the CPU?.

--
-
-

------------------------------

From: "Riyaz Mansoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rh7.1
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:40:40 +1000

hi all

what's the recommended/minimum swap/root filesystem size for the redhat 7.1?

riyaz

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:42:26 +1000
From: faeychyld <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Timezone and Timeserver

Raphael Arlitt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use SuSE 7.1 Prof on a laptop and use a timeserver. In /etc/rc.config i
> used Europe/Berlin as the timezone but now I am in California. What do I
> have to write into that /etc/rc.config file instaed of Europe/Berlin?
> I couldn't find a list - beside I think it is really stupid to do it by
> name instaed of timezone - like CET.
>
> How do I setup the correct timezone without /etc/rc.config?
>
> Raphael

SuSe is unknown, but in RH it is  "/usr/sbin/timeconfig" as root

--
-
-

------------------------------

From: coffee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rh7.1
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 12:24:49 GMT

Riyaz Mansoor wrote:

> hi all
>
> what's the recommended/minimum swap/root filesystem size for the redhat 7.1?
>
> riyaz
>
> --

I do believe the minimum is 122 meg for swap size.

coffee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Problem with D815EEA2 inboard LAN chip
Date: 31 May 2001 14:38:24 +0100

Hi,

Is there any kwown problem with the eepro100 driver (Mandrake 8.0
distro). When I try to use the inboard LAN chip (motherboard
D815EEA2), I (very) rapidly get an endless series of :

eepro100 wait_for_cmd_done timeout.

With an old 3com NIC, everything is fine.

Thank you for your help,

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Camille-Aim=E9 Possama=EF                          \             T=E9l=E9=
phone    =

Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique    \  (33) 04 91 16 43 27
Centre de Recherches en Neurosciences Cognitives \           T=E9l=E9copi=
e =

31, ch. Joseph-Aiguier, F13402 Marseille cedex 20 \(33) 04 91 77 49 69 =

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Messagerie =E9lectronique : [EMAIL PROTECTED]=
rs-mrs.fr =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Patching 2.4.3 kernel with XFS doesn't work
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 14:20:10 +0200

vrw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> When I tried to patch a vanilla 2.4.3 kernel with SGI's
> "linux-2.4.3-core-xfs-1.0.patch.gz" patch and then tried to compile the

I have precisely that combo, and had no trouble compiling.

I see from a "locate openpromfs"

   /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.3-xfs/fs/openpromfs
   /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.3-xfs/fs/openpromfs/.depend
   /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.3-xfs/fs/openpromfs/inode.c
   /usr/local/src/linux-2.4.3-xfs/fs/openpromfs/Makefile

but nothing else of any significance. Shrug .. so don't compile in that
module/driver.

BTW, it hasn't been touched by the patch.

> kernel, it went bye-bye during the 'make dep' phase; it was complaining
> about sth. missing in the "openpromfs" directory, and there were also
> problems with 'pagebuf'. (Can supply actual errors if needed.)

Pagebuf is unique to the patch. I can vouch for there being nothing
wrong there.

> Does anyone know whether this is my shining ignorance of how to set this

Yep.

> patch up, or is it a known problem with a workaround ?

Nope .. it might be either your patch technique or your compiler!

> I REALLY wanna see how XFS performs... :o)

Very very well.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "White Horse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Installation problem -- Redhat 6.2 on Pentinum 4 (1.7G)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:50:21 -0400

Hi, All,

I have problem to install Redhat 6.2 on new PC (it's a Pentinum 4, 1.7G).
Before this, I never have problem to install Redhat 6.2 on all other
machines.

Error happens when selecting individual packages, it says:
"Anaconda caught exception: Traceback(innermost last):
KeyError: basesystem"

Does anyone have clue about this?

I have to install Redhat 6.2 because our project is built on this version.
Please help!

Best Regards,

Luyang Li

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:27:03 +0200

coffee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Riyaz Mansoor wrote:
>>
>> what's the recommended/minimum swap/root filesystem size for the redhat 7.1?

> I do believe the minimum is 122 meg for swap size.

Uh, no, the minimum is zero! Try it!

About 32MB of swap should be enough for 95% of the people out there,
99.99% of the time.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Benoit Cosandey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Palm setup &serial Ports
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:02:42 +0200

You may have a look at www.jpilot.org

Ben Cosandey

JS0R6.91$[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chris Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing to multiple printers at the same time
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:04:51 -0500

==============429144696AA9257A581CE9DC

Anyone know how to send a single print to multiple
printers?  It does not have to be with LPD, I am open to any
package.

--
Chris Zimmerman
UNIX Systems Admin

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People
fear the Government, that is tyranny." -- THOMAS JEFFERSON
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the
official views of McLane Co.or its subsidiaries.

==============429144696AA9257A581CE9DC

Anyone know how to send a single print to multiple printers?&nbsp; It does
not have to be with LPD, I am open to any package.
<pre>--&nbsp;
Chris Zimmerman
UNIX Systems Admin
McLane Co.
254-770-5533

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People&nbsp;
fear the Government, that is tyranny." -- THOMAS JEFFERSON
The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the&nbsp;
official views of McLane Co.or its subsidiaries.</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

From: "JP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:13:04 +0100

"Riyaz Mansoor" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9f5ai2$s4k$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> hi all
>
> what's the recommended/minimum swap/root filesystem size for the redhat
7.1?

There is no real "recommended" as such.

Root size depends on if your keeping /usr /tmp etc etc on the same file
system.

Swap is about 2 x memory but this depends on what your using the box for.
2 x memory could be a good starting point if you have enought disk space, if
not make it at least the size of your memory.

I have a layout lia 3.4Gb disk on a system with 128Mb memory setup like
thus; (works OK for me!!)

512Mb    /(root)
256Mb    SWAP
1256Mb    /usr
512Mb    /home
473Mb    /usr/src

This may/may not suit yout needs....

------------------------------

From: "Eric Chow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't halt or reboot system
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 20:59:09 +0800

Hello,

When I halt or reboot my system, when it try to stop all the process :
Killall processes, it always stop there and has no response .

What cause this ?
How can I correct this ?
Would you please to teach me ?

Best regards,
Eric

------------------------------

From: "Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual Boot Win2K and Linux
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:22:34 +0200

> I would like to install Win2K in place of my present Win98SE.
> Presently have Win98SE dual booting with my Mandrake 7.2 using Grub.
> I'd like 3 questions answered before I do this :
>
> 1) Is it true that Linux will not mount NTFS 5.0 partitions?
>    Thus effectively only allowing me to install my Win2K on FAT32?

You can mount them, but you should not make an attempt to write to it.
it will result in a corrupted NTFS.

> 2) Is there any chance I can retain my present GRUB bootloader and not
> have to change to the Win2K one?

I don't see why not.
I don't know grub very well, but as you can do this with LILO,
I suppose grub can do this too

> 3) In relation to the previous question, What kind of complications
> will arise as a result of Win2K being installed 2nd?

Who knows?
Expect the worse: windows will ignore the partitiontable.
So back-up before you start.
Probably it will not be so drastically, but don't say I haven't warned you!!

You should at least make a linux bootfloppy (and test it!) as you may
loose the MBR's current bootcode (where I expect grub is installed)

>    Usually I know Windows has to be the first installed OS then
> afterwards running FIPS and Partition Magic, we then put in Linux.

This would have been better, but not always possible.
It depends on windows how troublesome it'll get. Often OEM windows
CD's, simply ignore existing partitiontables.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Merrill)
Subject: Re: DNS lookup fails
Date: 31 May 2001 07:22:47 -0700

Found one problem, I had put my hostname in the localhost line in the
/etc/hosts file instead of on a separate line. Now "hostname" shows "leepc,"
but "host leepc" still fails, I can ping leepc, though.

Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: PARIDE
Date: 31 May 2001 14:27:43 GMT

[Excessive crossposting and nonexistent NGs trimmed]
On Thu, 31 May 2001 08:03:35 +0200, H. van Niekerk staggered into the
Black Sun and said:
>I want to use 'insmod paride' but get these messages:

No you don't.  You want to use "modprobe paride", because it will
automagically load all the modules paride depends on before loading
paride.  You're getting those weird messages because something paride
depends on is built as a module and not loaded.

>unresolved symbol parport_enumerate
>unresolved symbol parport_claim
>unresolved symbol parport_register_device
>unresolved symbol parport_unregister_device
>unresolved symbol parport_release

If you're set on using insmod, the sequence is
insmod parport
insmod parport_pc    (on an x86, change for Sparc...)
insmod lp
insmod paride

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: "Jody" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Who to install a .gz.tar file?
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 10:18:38 -0400

"James Knott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> >
> > Scsi ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > : Yeah ... why should I be penalized through levied taxes and
taxation because
> > : someone else downloads copyrighted materials? Too much
government = slavery.
> > : Down here in the US the government = big business and we have
all become
> > : robots and slaves to a group of captialist and greedy folks. Uh
... not all
> > : of us but 90% perhaps. So blind.
> >
> > : Scsi2
> >
> > : "James Knott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
in message
> > : news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > : > Mladen Gogala wrote:
> > : > >
> > : > > Voila! Mkisofs is installed into /usr/local/bin.
> > : > > Make sure that you do not burn copyrighted music to your CDs
as it is
> > : > > bad for your soul and for the recording industry profits.
> > : >
> > : > FWIW, Canadians can now legally copy copyrighted music, for
their own
> > : > use.  The copyright owners get reimbersed through a levy the
government
> > : > slapped on blank CDs, audio cassettes etc.
> >
> > Do the taxes apply to hard drives? You can always go over border
and buy
> > blank cds.
>
> No, just stuff blank CDs and tapes.

How do they actually apply this levy? I mean, how do they know Mr Joe
Blow is making copies of linda ronstadt or ugly kid joe?
Where does the levy taxes exactly go?

Jody

------------------------------

From: "jf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 7.1 printing
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:32:56 -0500

How do I set up my Red Hat linux system (7.1 {uses LPRng...I think} , but I
also could use advice on 6.2 {different printing system than 7.1} as
well).... to print to my various dot-matrix line printers?

I have various different types of paper forms of varying length that get
printed on these printers such as checks, invoices, and labels...how do I
set up linux so that it knows what type of form is on a given printer?

On our older system (AT&T Unix), this was handled by a proprietary feature,
'lpfoms' which let us define different types of forms to mount/unmount on
given printers, but I cannot for the life of me find this functionality in
linux. I've looked everywhere! Please Help!

Thanks In Advance,

Jason

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Kimoto)
Date: 31 May 2001 10:45:15 -0400

In article <9f43qv$72f$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Raphael Arlitt wrote:
> I use SuSE 7.1 Prof on a laptop and use a timeserver. In /etc/rc.config i
> used Europe/Berlin as the timezone but now I am in California. What do I
> have to write into that /etc/rc.config file instaed of Europe/Berlin?
> I couldn't find a list - beside I think it is really stupid to do it by
> name instead of timezone - like CET.

(Do you think that these three-letter acronyms are unique over the whole
world?)

The tzconfig(1) program will help you find an appropriate string.
Or you can just guess by looking at the contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo:
I think that you want "America/Los_Angeles".

P.S. NTP servers all use UTC, so that should not be a source of problems.

--
Paul Kimoto
This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.  Any images,

------------------------------

From: "makame70" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: core umped
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:59:22 -0700

Thanks, Davide,

I could install an old distribution of Red Hat, altough I can't start
startX.

When I do fdisk -l, I see my mounts and closed the message:

" Segmentation Fault (core dumped)"

Seems there is something wrong, but don't now enough yet of linux to hit the
right keys to get my next steps todo. Any help appreciated.

Perry

news:9f589v$2d24n$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Danie Roux)
Subject: Re: Lynx through proxy
Date: 31 May 2001 15:09:43 GMT

On Mon, 28 May 2001 17:51:19 +0200, Jesper Petersen wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I can't make Lynx work through a proxy. I tried editing the lynx.cfg file
>removing the # in front of http_proxy and write the proxyserver.
>
>Can someone tell me why it wont work?
>
>The proxy is http://www.nork.auc.dk/proxy.pac.
>
>Thanks
>Jesper

After you've figured out what the real proxy is, is this all you need to do:

Add

export http_proxy=http://your.proxy.com:8080/
export ftp_proxy=http://your.proxy.com:8080/

To your ~/.bashrc. Notice the ending /, took me a week to figure out that that
is what's wrong.

And suddenly most every web app will know what's your proxy.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest