From: "BetrOffDed" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lilo 'smp'??
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 19:14:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "root" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I just installed Redhat 7.0 on an ordinary Dell Optiplex, nothing fancy
> there. I set it up as a server with Apache, ftp etc, and two NIC's. The
> installation went smoothly with no problems, but whenever I boot up the
> computer I get a Lilo graphical boot-menu where the default choice is
> the kernelname followed by the letters 'smp', the other choice is just
> the kernelname.
>
> What's the deal? What does 'smp' refer to? Have I done something wrong??
>
> Any input apreciated!
>
> TIA,
> Orjan

Symmetric Multi-Processor

Its for multiple cpu machines.  It will probably run ok on a
uniprocessor, but IIRC, there will be a slight performace hit if you only
have one cpu.

Just pick the uniprocessor one.

You can edit /etc/lilo.conf, and remove the smp entry if you want. (don't
forget to run /sbin/lilo after editing /etc/lilo.conf if you do).

------------------------------

From: Thomas Tonino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DVD
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 21:41:29 +0200

BetrOffDed wrote:

> Yes, there are players. xine and xmovie have both worked for me as
> software-only players.

I use Videolan (www.videolan.org) mostly, although on my system it has a
problem with consuming more and more CPU as time progresses.

It does work however and also has the CSS support in the standard
distribution.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: tech2kjason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading to glibc 2.2.
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 14:51:56 -0500

Greetings,

I had fun with issue a few weeks ago...

The short answer to upgrading and installing at the same time, is to
store the updated packages into one directory, and perform
rpm -Uv *.rpm from inside that directory... this will in essence,
upgrade any installed packages and install any new packages from
inside that same directory.

The long answer follows:
I'd highly recommend moving straight to glibc-2.2-12, since it fixes
several bugs contained in glibc-2.1.9x. It's painless, and it will
save a lot of headache later in the game. Anyway, on with the show!

Since glibc is the core of function libraries used by RH linux, you
will not be able to perform a simple 'rpm -i' on the individual glibc
packages... verify which glibc packages you currently have installed:

rpm -q glibc-common
rpm -q glibc-profile
and
rpm -q glibc

If you haven't already, for each installed glibc component store it's
matching update package into one directory say for example:
/upgrade-7/glibc/ ( this will hold for example: glibc-2.2-12.xxx.rpm,
glibc-common-2.2-12.xxx.rpm, and glibc-profile-2.2-12.xxx.rpm.

Since rpm will not perform an upgrade/install with dependency problems
(unless forced), you will need to perform an:

rpm -Uv glibc*

If there are dependency problems, nothing will change... make a list
of the other packages that need to be upgraded and store them in the
same /upgrade-7/glibc/ directory.

Once everything is in place, issue the following command from inside
change the command to
rpm -Uv *.rpm

After glibc is successfully upgraded, don't forget to run lilo ( if
you have it installed ), otherwise, you may not be able to boot.

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.1 and StarOffice
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:35:39 GMT

Colin Pinkney wrote:

> Has anyone had any problems with StarOffice and kernel 2.4.1,
> specifically saving to a vfat partition?
>
> I had things working ok, but then I upgraded to kernel 2.4.1 to get some
> of its new features. However when I did that StarOffice then suddenly
> started to refuse to save to my Windows 98 partition.

I haven't tried 2.4.1 myself, but FWIW 2.4.0 and 2.4.2 both
were ok here (including writing StarOffice documents to vfat
partitions).  I'll be trying 2.4.3 this week, but I don't
expect any problems.  I'd move on up to at least 2.4.2 if I
were you.

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: "Hiawatha Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: What's with mksmbpasswd?
Date: 08 Apr 2001 20:41:50 GMT

Thanks for the help.  That worked.  But now I've got new problems.

First, how do I get my Windows box to see the files on my Linux machine?
When I go to Network Neighborhood, I see the Linux computer, but when I
click on the Icon for it, I get an Action Cancelled window.  When I run net
view in a DOS window, I get an Error 53 saying the computer can't find the
machine.  But when I do a generic net view command, to show all the boxes
connected, the Linux box pops right up.  I don 't get this.  Do I need to
set up shares for the Linux drives?  If so, how?

My other question:  How do I see the Windows shares on the Linux box?
What's the Linux equivalent of Network Neighborhood?  Thanks.

news:JOWz6.48$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change PATH env variable
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:45:53 GMT

$ vi $HOME/.bash_profile # use your editor to edit .bash_profile assuming
you are using bash

# put the following line at the end of your .bash_profile.
export PATH=/some_directory/bin:$PATH # add this bin to your path

log out and log back in to have the .bash_profile to take effect.

------------------------------

From: Enzio Schneider <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kdm does not run after kde 2.1.1 update
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 22:51:54 +0200

Hi there!

I've got problems after updating KDE to 2.1.1 on Kernel 2.4:

Before i used XFree86 4.0.2 with kdm: great!
Update to XFree86 4.0.3: runs great, too
Then i updated KDE from 2.1 to 2.1.1
After that the graphical login does not run!
The bootup messages say: kdm started but there is only the
console-login!
When i start kdm as root: no message and no result!
but: startx runs kde!
Does anyone have an idea?

Thanx, Enz

------------------------------

From: Afonso Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to change Display configuration for X?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 04:56:29 +0800

I just want to reconfigure Xfree for my old MGA 200. Should I apply the
4.03 patch? I do not understand.
thank you,

Afonso Sam.

------------------------------

From: Sesame Ldt. Corporation <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux MDK install problem (same problem with other linux distrib)
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 23:33:36 +0200

Hi,

I tried for many weeks now to install on my new PC (new motherboard
Gigabyte  GA 7ZX  + new processor AMD athlon 850 Mhz
+ 128 Mb RAM 133mhz) my linux mandrake 7.2 that worked on my old PC

I get different problems and I don't know if the cause is the same for both of
them !

when I launch the install in text expert I can reach the partitionning stage and
then after formatting i get the following messages :

killing interupt handler
kernel panic :  Attempted to kill the idle task
In interrupt handler - not syncing

and then all i can to do is reboot !!

when I use the graphic mode it's worse !!

when i select my langage and i click on the OK button i get the following
message :

error opening policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/Security Policy
Glib warning...
Perl Warning...
Segmentation fault

seems like memory is missing as the install crashes !

well !!

then I tried all the following options :
 - turn Bios PNP off
 - turn all the port BIOS off (serial, parallel, motherboard sound and modem
chipset

 - I launched the install with :
 text expert idebus=33 ide0=noautotune mem=128M

and i get the same error (the first one ! kernel panic)

then I tried to boot with my tombsrt linux distrib...
ok !
then I tried to format the Hard disk
ok !
then I tried to check the bad blocks on the hard disk
--> kernel panic !!

then i installed windows (beurk !) without any problems and i checked the whole
disk without finding any bad blocks !

so, PLEASE ! tell me what the hell is this strange error while installing linux
!!

(PS: on my PC i have a 1,2GB HD, a IDE CDROM and that's all !!)

thanks a lot if someone is able to find what hangs this install !!

Denis.

------------------------------

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: kernel upgrade - yikes!!
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:13:45 -0700

"tech2kjason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:58:02 -0700, "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >ran up2date on RH7 and was confused by the "excluded" list... it upgraded
my
> >kernel rpms to 2.2.17... after rebooting the box I have no network!
troulbe
> >is uname says I'm still on 2.2.16 but the modules directory under
/usr/lib
> >says 17 and there's no 16... yikes!
> >
> >can anyone suggest what I can do, especially given that I have no access
> >the net since the NICs won't come up?
> >
> >1k tia - erick
> >

> I always wondered why RH advised users  not to use up2date to upgrade
> kernel packages... now I know...
>
> This issue can be resolved in one of two ways:
>
> 1 ) manually reinstall the updated kernel packages yourself:
>
> or
>
> 2) follow these steps...
>
> cd /boot
> ls -al
> verify that the System.map-2.2.17, kernel.h-2.2.17,
> module-info-2.2.17, and vmlinuz-2.2.17 are present and/or linked
> properly from System.map, kernel.h, module-info, and vmlinuz
>
> with ls -al you should see something like...
> kernel.h --> kernel.h-2.2.17
> module-info --> module-info-2.2.17
> System.map --> System.map-2.2.17
> vmlinuz --> vmlinuz-2.2.17
> kernel.h-2.2.17
> module-info-2.2.17
> System.map-2.2.17
> vmlinuz-2.2.17
>

> if /boot looks okay, it's time to visit lilo.conf inside /etc.
> cd /etc
>
> use your favorite editor to verify the lilo.conf file, to make sure
> that the "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17" is pointing to the right kernel.
>
> in my case, that section looks like this:
> "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3"
> label=linux
> read-only
> root=/dev/hdc9
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=win98
>
> Just remember that if you make any changes lilo.conf, to type lilo at
> the prompt, so that it initializes it's pointers for the next reboot.

thanks for replying.  nfortunately option 1 was not available since up2date
cleaned up after itself so I don't have the RPMs and I can't get them as my
NICs don't work with the system as is... so I followed option 2:

when I get a listing from /boot I notice that while:

System.map -> System.map-2.2.17-14
module-info -> module-info-2.2.17-14
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.2.17-14

and

System.map-2.2.17-14
module-info-2.2.17-14
vmlinuz-2.2.17-14

exist, there is no kernel.h-2.2.17-14 and kernel.h is a normal file (dated
before the upgrade (as are boot.b, chain.b message and os2_d.b) instead of
being a link.

also I notice that initrd.2.2.16-22.img exists (and doesn't seem to belong
to any package) and there is no 2.2.17-14 version...

also, the contents of my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
    label=linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-22.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda1

what next then?  can I change the image without having a new initrd?

1k thx - e

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 22:19:26 GMT

Sesame Ldt. Corporation <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

> I tried for many weeks now to install on my new PC (new motherboard
> Gigabyte  GA 7ZX  + new processor AMD athlon 850 Mhz
> + 128 Mb RAM 133mhz) my linux mandrake 7.2 that worked on my old PC

> I get different problems and I don't know if the cause is the same for both of
> them !

> when I launch the install in text expert I can reach the partitionning stage and
> then after formatting i get the following messages :

> killing interupt handler
> kernel panic :  Attempted to kill the idle task
> In interrupt handler - not syncing

Well, don't use an athlon, or disable the (nonexistent) serial number
disable at kernel bootup, or don't use an unsupported IDE controller
(probably an ATA100 one ..). Stick the disks in normal slots. Turn
off udma modes, etc.

> then I tried all the following options :
>  - turn Bios PNP off
>  - turn all the port BIOS off (serial, parallel, motherboard sound and modem
> chipset

>  - I launched the install with :
>  text expert idebus=33 ide0=noautotune mem=128M

> and i get the same error (the first one ! kernel panic)

> then I tried to boot with my tombsrt linux distrib...
> ok !
> then I tried to format the Hard disk
> ok !
> then I tried to check the bad blocks on the hard disk
> --> kernel panic !!

Yeah, bad controller or disk.

> then i installed windows (beurk !) without any problems and i checked the whole
> disk without finding any bad blocks !

> so, PLEASE ! tell me what the hell is this strange error while installing linux

You tell us. Obviously it's your controller or disk. So what are they?

> (PS: on my PC i have a 1,2GB HD, a IDE CDROM and that's all !!)

Pretty impossible. You can't get less than a 10GB disk nowadays.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Reto Wigger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DRI Drivers with XFree86-4.0.2
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:46:08 +0200

Hi

To play Quake3Arena on my linux machine i installed the DRI-Drivers
from sourceforge (rage128-20010404-i386-Linux.tar.gz)

In my PC is a
ATI Xpert 2000 Pro,32MB, AGP4x SD-RAM, Rage 128 VR
plugged.

So the drivers sould match to my card.

I have:
SuSE Linux 7.1
XFree86-4.0.2
Kernel 2.4.2

My /etc/X11/XF86Config:

Section "Module"
    Load        "dbe"
    SubSection  "extmod"
      Option    "omit xfree86-dga"
    EndSubSection
    Load        "extmod"
    Load        "type1"
    Load        "freetype"
    Load       "glx"
    Load       "dri"
EndSection
Section "DRI"
    Mode 0666
EndSection
Section "Files"
    RgbPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
    ModulePath "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/"
EndSection
#Input Devices wie Maus, Tastatur......
Sectiontion "Device"
    Identifier  "Standard VGA"
    VendorName  "Unknown"
    BoardName   "Unknown"
    Driver     "vga"
EndSection
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "ati"
    Driver      "ati"
    #VideoRam    32768
EndSection
# End of /etc/X11/XF86Config

My X Server crashes with these messages:

Module Loader present
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Apr  8 17:19:26 2001
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
         (WW) warning, (EE) error, (??) unknown.
(==) ServerLayout "Simple Layout"
(**) |-->Screen "Screen 1" (0)
(**) |   |-->Monitor "vs"
(**) |   |-->Device "ati"
(**) |-->Input Device "Mouse1"
(**) |-->Input Device "Keyboard1"
(**) XKB: rules: "xfree86"
(**) XKB: model: "pc105"
(**) XKB: layout: "de_CH"
(**) FontPath set to
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/local/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts
misc,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/
X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11R6/lib/
X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,/usr/
X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
(**) RgbPath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
(**) ModulePath set to "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/"
(--) using VT number 7

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(II) Module bitmap: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
(II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
(II) Module scanpci: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Unloading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libscanpci.a
(--) PCI:*(1:0:0) ATI Rage 128 Pro PF rev 0, Mem @ 0xe0000000/26,
0xdf000000/14, I/O @ 0xd800/8
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdbe.a
(II) Module dbe: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libextmod.a
(II) Module extmod: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libtype1.a
(II) Module type1: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a
(II) Module freetype: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a
(II) Module glx: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 2.49.119Ey, module version = 1.0.0
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a
(II) Module GLcore: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 2.49.119Ey, module version = 1.0.0
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdri.a
(II) Module dri: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 2.49.119Ey, module version = 1.0.0
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libdrm.a
(II) Module drm: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 2.49.119Ey, module version = 1.0.0
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/ati_drv.o
(II) Module ati: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 2.49.119Ey, module version = 6.2.5
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/input/mouse_drv.o
(II) Module mouse: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) ATI: ATI driver (version 6.2.5) for chipsets: ati, ativga
(II) R128: Driver for ATI Rage 128 chipsets: ATI Rage 128 RE (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 RF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RG (AGP), ATI Rage 128 RK (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 RL (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Pro PD (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility LE (PCI),
        ATI Rage 128 Mobility LF (AGP), ATI Rage 128 Mobility MF (AGP),
        ATI Rage 128 Mobility ML (AGP)
(II) RADEON: Driver for ATI Radeon chipsets: ATI Radeon QD (AGP),
        ATI Radeon QE (AGP), ATI Radeon QF (AGP), ATI Radeon QG (AGP)
(--) Assigning device section with no busID to primary device
(--) Chipset ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP) found
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o
(II) Module r128: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 2.49.119Ey, module version = 4.0.1
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) R128(0): PCI bus 1 card 0 func 0
(**) R128(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(II) R128(0): Pixel depth = 16 bits stored in 2 bytes (16 bpp pixmaps)
(==) R128(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) R128(0): RGB weight 565
(II) R128(0): Using 6 bits per RGB (8 bit DAC)
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/linux/libint10.a
(II) Module int10: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) R128(0): initializing int10
(II) R128(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(--) R128(0): Chipset: "ATI Rage 128 Pro PF (AGP)" (ChipID = 0x5046)
(--) R128(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xe0000000
(--) R128(0): MMIO registers at 0xdf000000
(--) R128(0): BIOS at 0xdffe0000
(--) R128(0): VideoRAM: 32768 kByte (64-bit SDR SGRAM 1:1)
(II) R128(0): PLL parameters: rf=2950 rd=65 min=12500 max=40000; xclk=12000
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a
(II) Module vbe: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) R128(0): VESA BIOS detected
(II) R128(0): VESA VBE DDC supported
(II) R128(0): Manufacturer: ___  Model: ffff  Serial#: 4294967295
(II) R128(0): Year: 2245  Week: 255
(II) R128(0): EDID Version: 255.255
(II) R128(0): Digital Display Input
(II) R128(0): Max H-Image Size [cm]: horiz.: 255  vert.: 255
(II) R128(0): Gamma: 3.55
(II) R128(0): DPMS capabilities: StandBy Suspend Off
(II) R128(0): Default color space is primary color space
(II) R128(0): First detailed timing is preferred mode
(II) R128(0): GTF timings supported
(II) R128(0): redX: 0.632 redY: 0.335   greenX: 0.296 greenY: 0.593
(II) R128(0): blueX: 0.143 blueY: 0.065   whiteX: 0.280 whiteY: 0.311
(II) R128(0): Supported VESA Video Modes:
(II) R128(0): 720x400@70Hz
(II) R128(0): 640x480@60Hz
(II) R128(0): 640x480@75Hz
(II) R128(0): 800x600@75Hz
(II) R128(0): 1024x768@60Hz
(II) R128(0): 1024x768@75Hz
(II) R128(0): Manufacturer's mask: 0
(II) R128(0): Supported Future Video Modes:
(II) R128(0): #0: hsize: 1280  vsize 1024  refresh: 60  vid: 32897
(II) R128(0): #1: hsize: 1024  vsize 768  refresh: 85  vid: 22881
(II) R128(0): #2: hsize: 800  vsize 600  refresh: 85  vid: 22853
(II) R128(0): #3: hsize: 640  vsize 480  refresh: 85  vid: 22833
(--) R128(0): unexpected EDID version 255 revision 255
(==) R128(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(II) R128(0): vs: Using hsync range of 30.00-70.00 kHz
(II) R128(0): vs: Using vrefresh range of 50.00-120.00 Hz
(II) R128(0): Clock range:  12.50 to 400.00 MHz
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1280x960" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1280x1024" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1280x1024" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1600x1200" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1600x1200" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1600x1200" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1600x1200" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1600x1200" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1792x1344" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1792x1344" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1856x1392" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1856x1392" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1920x1440" deleted (hsync out of range)
(WW) R128(0): Default mode "1920x1440" deleted (hsync out of range)
(--) R128(0): Virtual size is 1024x768 (pitch 1024)
(**) R128(0): Default mode "1024x768": 94.5 MHz, 68.7 kHz, 85.0 Hz
(--) R128(0): Display dimensions: (255, 255) cm
(--) R128(0): DPI set to (10, 7)
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libfb.a
(II) Module fb: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libramdac.a
(II) Module ramdac: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libxaa.a
(II) Module xaa: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
Symbol xf86EnablePciBusMaster from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/r128_drv.o is unresolved!
(==) R128(0): Write-combining range (0xe0000000,0x2000000)
(II) R128(0): [drm] created "r128" driver at busid "PCI:1:0:0"
(II) R128(0): [drm] added 4096 byte SAREA at 0xc5a52000
(II) R128(0): [drm] mapped SAREA 0xc5a52000 to 0x40017000
(II) R128(0): [drm] framebuffer handle = 0xe0000000
(II) R128(0): [drm] added 1 reserved context for kernel
(II) R128(0): [agp] Mode 0x1f000201 [AGP 0x1106/0x0305; Card 0x1002/0x5046]
(II) R128(0): [agp] 8192 kB allocated with handle 0xc817b000
(II) R128(0): [agp] ring handle = 0xe4000000
(II) R128(0): [agp] Ring mapped at 0x42211000
(II) R128(0): [agp] ring read ptr handle = 0xe4101000
(II) R128(0): [agp] Ring read ptr mapped at 0x40018000
(II) R128(0): [agp] vertex/indirect buffers handle = 0xe4102000
(II) R128(0): [agp] Vertex/indirect buffers mapped at 0x42312000
(II) R128(0): [agp] AGP texture map handle = 0xe4302000
(II) R128(0): [agp] AGP Texture map mapped at 0x42512000

        This should not happen!
        An unresolved function was called!

X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Who can help me?
--
Warum durch ein Fenster gucken, wenn die Tür schon offen steht?

have a lot of fun

rewi

------------------------------

From: Randy Switt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,bellsouth.net.support.linux
Subject: Re: this is  Bellsouth policy.
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 19:02:12 -0400

> Has anyone been forcefully removed from a bridged connection yet?

Not that I've heard of.

Randy S.

------------------------------

From: Randy Switt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alt.os.linux.mandrake,bellsouth.net.support.adsl,bellsouth.net.support.linux
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 19:04:38 -0400

> they said to me that they are doing becuase
> people were stealing the service... disconnecting with billing and then
> getting the helpdesk to register the mac address thus receiving free service
> so a few cheap jerks screwed it up for everybody they quit offering bridged
> a while ago.....

? This doesn't make sense to me.  Service is provided through your DSL signal.
If you disconnect with billing, then they will cut off your signal, and poof! no
more service.  Registering your MAC address will do you no good.  It seems more
likely that they are only offering PPPoX because they feel it is more manageable
and flexible (though this is arguable).

Randy S.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest