Linux-Setup Digest #19, Volume #21                Mon, 9 Apr 01 18:13:09 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Any RPM OS checking when install or upgrade package on Red Hat ("ne...")
  Re: what are the diff of 3 labels in lilo.conf of red hat linux 7 (H.Bruijn)
  Executable vmlinux in /boot (Mladen Gavrilovic)
  Re: Linux Mandrake 6.0 problem ("Peter T. Breuer")
  yppasswd problem (cuma)
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("Kenny@BUI")
  Re: installing rh7.0, can't get beyond "/sbin/loader"? ("brian")
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("Kenny@BUI")
  Mail Suggestions? (Chris Boner)
  Re: Executable vmlinux in /boot ("Duane Healing")
  Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Virtual hosting questions (Ian Northeast)
  Re: How to config the X-Server?? ("Barry Hatfield")
  Re: Executable vmlinux in /boot (Mladen Gavrilovic)
  how do I change the $HOME variable? (Gregory Davis)
  Re: Trouble with X...Redhat 7.0 (Mladen Gavrilovic)
  Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Please help me with dual boot system. (Mladen Gavrilovic)
  Re: cdrom does not mount. ("D F")
  Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Executable vmlinux in /boot ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: how do I change the $HOME variable? ("Peter T. Breuer")

From: "ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any RPM OS checking when install or upgrade package on Red Hat
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 19:19:50 GMT

On Apr 10, 2001 at 02:59, XIP eloquently wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have installed Red Hat 7
>and have downloaded a lot of RPMs from the red hat sites.
>Do anyone know if I install or upgrade the RPMs,
>will the RPM be automatically checked if it is specified
>for the Red Hat 7, not the othe OS like Red Hat 6.2?
I don't think rpm checks for distribution per se. I
do know it checks for libc versions tho. If you installed
the compat rpms, you should be able to install RH6.x rpms
which I think you do not want. Therefore when downloading
from RH, make sure you download rpms for RH7.x.

Spock: We suffered 23 casualties in that attack, Captain.
  3:13pm  up 23 days, 15:12,  8 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Subject: Re: what are the diff of 3 labels in lilo.conf of red hat linux 7
Date: 9 Apr 2001 19:22:35 GMT

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:35:19 +0800, XIP allegedly wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I saw that in the /etc/lilo.conf, there are 3 labels:
>linux
>linux-smp
>linux-up
>
>Could anyone please let me know what are the main differences of selecting
>each of them?
>Thanks.

They point to different kernels, linux most likely selects /boot/vmlinuz
which is nothing more then a symbolic link to one of the others, used as
the default.
linux-smp is a stock kernel built for Symetric Multi Processor Machines,
fi dual-pentium, quad-xeon etc.
linux-up is a stock kernel built for Uni Processor Machines, all
machines with a single processor.
AFAIK there's no harm in selecting the "wrong one" when you have a smp
architecture, but you'll only be able to use ONE CPU.

--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                         website:   http://hermanbruijn.com

------------------------------

From: Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Executable vmlinux in /boot
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 19:46:19 GMT

Hi all, I've recently upgraded to the 2.4.3 kernel from the 2.2.17-14
kernel from Red Hat's updates site.  Everything works fine, but I'm
wondering what the purpose of the /boot/vmlinux-2.2.17-14 executable
file is.  It's much bigger than the compressed kernel image, and I have
a new one that 2.4.3 compiled in /usr/src/linux.  Do I copy the new one
to /boot as well?  Everything seems to be working perfectly without it.

Thanks,
Mladen

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Mandrake 6.0 problem
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:45:18 +0200

Marie Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We have tried everything we know in order to reconfigure the display
> settings but have been unsuccessful.

What's wrong with the setting you have? What is it? Plese describe.

> Can someone please guide us through this process with step by step
> instructions? We are new to Linux.

I presume that if you're running Mandrake, you just rerun the
configurator. Is it called HardDrake? Drakconf?

Peter

------------------------------

From: cuma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: yppasswd problem
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:06:13 +0200

Hi I always get the following message:(on SuSE 7.1)

yppasswd: yppasswdd not running on NIS master host

also the users in the source /var/yp/passwd can not login!!

CAn anyone help me!

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: cdrom does not mount.
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:33:25 -0400

thank you for responding.
this is what i got.

hda: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 36X, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

------------------------------

From: "brian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: installing rh7.0, can't get beyond "/sbin/loader"?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 15:33:19 +0500

Red Hat, Inc. offers an update floppy diskette image file that should
correct this problem.  It worked for me.  You can download the update
from the following html site.

http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHBA-2000-084.html

Brian

------------------------------

From: "Kenny@BUI" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:43:17 -0400

mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/cdrom as a block device
       (maybe `insmod driver'?)

> Now, given the entry from /etc/fstab you've indicated, mount
> will try to hang the thing at /mnt/cdrom so check to make
> sure that mountpoint exists by doing a
>
> ls -la /mnt

it does .

> As well, you need to make sure that the /dev/cdrom, which is
> a symlink to the appropriate drive, exists and is pointing
> to the right spot, so do
> ls -la /dev/cdrom

it does.

------------------------------

From: Chris Boner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Mail Suggestions?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 16:49:03 -0400

I am converting from Windows to Linux and would like advice on what mail
messenger to use.  I would like to use Netscape Messenger as an IMAP
mailer, but versions 4.75 and 4.76 are not working satisfactorily (the
address book doesn't work and it constantly changes my Sent Mail folder
so none of the email messages that I send are saved).

Can anyone recommend a good email system to use instead (or provide a
solution to my Netscape Mail problem)?  I would prefer to use IMAP so I
can access the same mail account from many different computers.  Thanks
in advance.

Chris

------------------------------

From: "Duane Healing" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Executable vmlinux in /boot
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 14:04:18 -0700

If you've compiled a new 2.4.3 kernel but _not_ installed it into /boot
and configured/rerun lilo to use it you're not running 2.4.3. "uname -r"
will tell you for sure. For the necessary steps, read
/usr/src/linux/README carefully. Also, if you're upgrading the kernel to
the 2.4.x series and have not upgraded some of your other libraries and
programs, you will break your system. Go through
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes to be sure.

You don't sound very experienced with these matters, so be careful, have
a boot disk ready in case you need to recover and prepare for a learning
experience. Or if you're more faint of heart, wait for your distribution
to upgrade, and use its methods rather than rolling your own.

--
-Duane
-DNAware SoftLabs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4?
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 17:14:49 -0400

Hi!
        I recently set up 2 raid arrays on my server.  i can mount
them fine after booting into linux, but they do not get autodetected.
Both arrays have persistent superblock set to 1, type set to fd in
fdis.  The only thing i can't find is where to enable autodetect in
the 2.4.2 kernel.  I checked in the same place as the other raid
stuff, but its not there.  Also, both raid partitions are on the same
disk....  let me clarify...  i am mirroring two partitions from 1 disk
(hde7 and hde9) to another disk (hdg1 and hdg2).  The partitions are
the same size... does the persistent superblock option care if there
are two mirrored partitions on the same physical drive?

Thanks!

Kevin Thorley

------------------------------

From: Ian Northeast <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Virtual hosting questions
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 22:10:33 +0100

God_Of_Pain wrote:

> I want to setup a virtual host server. I want to use one static IP and have
> many URL's hosted from it. IE www.someplace.com, www.myother.com,
> www.thisone.com and so on.
>
> I know that I need to configure a DNS server in some way to do this. There
> are others like apache, sendmail what else? Can some one point me to a
> HOW-TO on seting up virtual hosts.

See the Apache documentation for setting up name virtual hosts. It
contains examples which are very clear.

All that has to be done in DNS is to ensure that www.someplace.com,
www.myother.com etc. all point, via A or CNAME records, to the Apache
server. Of course, you need the cooperation of the admins of the
appropriate domains if they are not yours.

I'm not sure where sendmail comes in.

Regards, Ian

------------------------------

From: "Barry Hatfield" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to config the X-Server??
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 14:13:19 -0700

...and speaking of resolution.....how do you change it??

"ne..." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]..
.

------------------------------

From: Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:29:17 GMT

> If you've compiled a new 2.4.3 kernel but _not_ installed it into
> /boot
> and configured/rerun lilo to use it you're not running 2.4.3.

I _have_ installed it into /boot and configured/rerun lilo

>"uname -r"
> will tell you for sure. For the necessary steps, read

[root@Zeke /root]# uname -r
2.4.3

> /usr/src/linux/README carefully. Also, if you're upgrading the kernel to
> the 2.4.x series and have not upgraded some of your other libraries and
> programs, you will break your system.

I've upgraded everything as per /usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes.

> You don't sound very experienced with these matters, so be careful, > have
> a boot disk ready in case you need to recover and prepare for a
> learning
> experience. Or if you're more faint of heart, wait for your
> distribution
> to upgrade, and use its methods rather than rolling your own.

I _am_ experienced in these matters.  As I stated in the original post,
I installed 2.4.3 and everything is working.  I think the problem you're
having is in the difference between vmlinuz and vmlinux.  vmlinuz is
originally built as bzImage with the command "make bzImage" during
kernel compilation.  I've renamed this file vmlinuz-2.4.3 and put it
into /boot, as well as edited lilo.conf appropriately.  This installs
the kernel (allong with make modules and make modules_install).  As a
side note, I've also pointed /boot/System.map to
/boot/System.map-2.4.3.  However, there is another file called vmlinux
in /usr/src/linux.  This is an executable, and it's rather large at 2.2
Mb compared to 783K for the kernel image.  There is a file called
/boot/vmlinux-2.2.17-14 that was installed with the 2.2.17-14 kernel
(which I haven't yet deleted) by RPM.  So, I was wondering if this file
had any importance since 2.4.3 doesn't seem to need it.

Regards,
Mladen

------------------------------

From: Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how do I change the $HOME variable?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:02:39 -0400

That's pretty much it.  I want to put my /root/ directory in /home/ to make
/home/root/ and have all my home directories one separate partition.  It
follows then that I change the value for root's home directory.  But I do
not know where to do this.  My guess is somewhere in /etc/ there is a
user-data file that sets the home for each user there.  Would be nice if it
had an obvious name like that.

Greg

------------------------------

From: Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Trouble with X...Redhat 7.0
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:42:43 GMT

Greg Crutcher wrote:

> After upgrading from 6.2 I ran xf86config to adjust the video settings. It
> ran just fine and everything looked ok but when I tried to start X I got an
> error. so I deleted the xf86config file to write a new one and the

I'm not sure what Red Hat 6.2 uses, but if it's not 4.0.X, make sure
you're dealing with XF86Config-4 instead of XF86Config.  The new 4.0.X
XFree86 doesn't even look at XF86Config.

> dbe: Unknown error loading module
> Config error: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/XF86Config:48
>
> SubSection "extmod"
>
> Module section Keysord expected

Hmm...  I don't know what 4.0.X you're using.  I'm using the DRI CVS
version from about April 1st, and in mine "extmod" is not a submodule of
"dbe", it is separate.  dbe deals with
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libdbe.a, while extmod deals with
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libextmod.a.  Make sure that both
files are there.  You might want to reinstall the base XFree86 RPM (or
all of them).  Other than that, I can't really help much.

Regards,
Mladen

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: Where is Auto Detect Raid option in kernel 2.4?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:37:22 +0200

In comp.os.linux.setup [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>       I recently set up 2 raid arrays on my server.  i can mount
> them fine after booting into linux, but they do not get autodetected.

Autodetected? What do you mean? raidstart -a starts them, that's all.

> Both arrays have persistent superblock set to 1, type set to fd in
> fdis.  The only thing i can't find is where to enable autodetect in

Autodetect?

> the 2.4.2 kernel.  I checked in the same place as the other raid

kernel?

> stuff, but its not there.  Also, both raid partitions are on the same
> disk....  let me clarify...  i am mirroring two partitions from 1 disk
> (hde7 and hde9) to another disk (hdg1 and hdg2).  The partitions are
> the same size... does the persistent superblock option care if there
> are two mirrored partitions on the same physical drive?

No.

> Thanks!

No trouble.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me with dual boot system.
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 21:48:56 GMT

Just Some Guy wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone help me, I have got a PC with a 20GB Harddisk, Windows 2000
> Professional is installed on the first 5 Gb partition. The rest have not
> been partitioned. I would like to install Linux Redhat 7.0 on this machine
> dual bootable with Win2000. How will I go about doing it without
> uninstalling Win2000.

try:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+WinNT.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader.html
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Multiboot-with-LILO.html

I imagine a good deal the info will apply to 2000 as well, especialy the
first link. (It's been updated recently)

Regards,
Mladen

------------------------------

From: "D F" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:54:29 -0400

Kenny@BUI wrote:
>thank you for responding.
>this is what i got.
>
>hda: IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM 36X, ATAPI CDROM drive
>ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
>hda: ATAPI 16X CD-ROM drive, 128kB Cache
>Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56
>Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077

Okay, so it's saying that your cdrom drive is the primary
master. What sort of a setup is this? Do you not have an IDE
hard drive in the machine? Are you currently running another
operating system on it? What does the BIOS say? It's sort of
hard to believe that your cdrom is the primary master. I've
never seen a config like this, unless your hard drive is
SCSI. I'm sort of out of my element, here, as I've no
experience at SCSI-hd based systems, although the principles
should be the same.

In any event, what output do you get from

ls -la /dev/hda

What Linux distro and kernel are you running?

====================
Dave Fluri  North Bay, Ontario  Canada

(The opinions herein are mine. I do not speak for my
employer unless I expressly indicate otherwise.)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2001 18:04:04 -0400

There is an option in the 2.4 kernels to detect the raid arrays during
the partition check... then they can be mounted using the entries in
fstab.  However, in my 2.4.2 kernel, the auto-detect raid option isn't
available.

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:48:13 +0200

Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> /boot/System.map-2.4.3.  However, there is another file called vmlinux
> in /usr/src/linux.  This is an executable, and it's rather large at 2.2
> Mb compared to 783K for the kernel image.  There is a file called
> /boot/vmlinux-2.2.17-14 that was installed with the 2.2.17-14 kernel
> (which I haven't yet deleted) by RPM.  So, I was wondering if this file
> had any importance since 2.4.3 doesn't seem to need it.

Which file? vmlinux is the uncompressed image (minus header
decompression code) of the vmlinuz that you want to boot.

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how do I change the $HOME variable?
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 23:50:06 +0200

Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> That's pretty much it.  I want to put my /root/ directory in /home/ to make
> /home/root/ and have all my home directories one separate partition.  It
> follows then that I change the value for root's home directory.  But I do
> not know where to do this.  My guess is somewhere in /etc/ there is a

In the passwd file.

But you can just link /root to /home/root.

BTW, there is no sense in doing what you suggest for root, because root
shoul dnever be used, therefore it doesn't matter where its (unused)
home directory is. It would make more sense to link it to /dev/null ...

Peter

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest