Linux-Setup Digest #19, Volume #19               Wed, 28 Jun 00 10:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  MP3 player makes a lot of noise ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Dial up window equivalent? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't install gdk-pixbuf in redhat ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Configuration of sound card yamaha724 (linux6.0) ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Linux and Modem ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mi
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SoundMAX supported? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Enabling swap partition? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  is there a port to windows media player? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  RH - Win98 connectivity ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Newbie: installing applications ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Partitioning of large IDE-Disk ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't install gdk-pixbuf in redhat ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  61GB Maxtor HD problem, please help! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Mandrake 7.1 Install Problem "could not mount a CD" using 1542cf
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Cannot ping localhost; just hangs ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Setting up Personal LAN through TCP/IP on Internet ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  About PPPoE ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Remote X login to linux server ??? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mi
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ok, i'm fucking pissed. dual boot winnt and linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  serial mouse with laptop? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  How to turn on remote root login? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: MP3 player makes a lot of noise
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Buchan Milne wrote:

> Just because your cd-rom plays CDs fine through your soundcard does
 not
> mean your sound card is set up, since remember, you attached an
 audio cable
> from your CD-ROM to your sound card !
>
> Run sndconfig (Redhat) or lothar (mandrake 7.0 or later) or your
 distros
> sound/hardware set up tool
>
> Jan Moons wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have problems playing MP3's.
> > My soundblaster works fine, at least I can play normal audio
 CD's.
> > But when I want to play MP3 files with X11amp of freeamp I get a
 lot of
> > noise, my speakers are about to explode !!!! And I can't seem to
 hear
> > any music through the noise.
Actually, it "sounds" like he is trying to send dsp type sound
 through
an audio type interface.  Jan, is /dev/dsp support compiled into your
kernel?  If not, do so.  I had *all* kinds of trouble with my sound
card (cs4610 based) until I loaded the dsp type modules for my card.
Fortunately, I just got /dev/dsp device not found.  I know that they
are *very* diferent formats for sound (one is analog the other is
digital, I think) I tried recording a sound file with one and sending
it to the other once and got symptoms just like what you describe.
Good Luck

--
Sanjay
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Dial up window equivalent?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (raymond)

Under Windows 95/98, I can set up a new dial up connection to bring
 up
a window when the connection is made which allows me to enter a
SecureID that changes every minute.  Does anyone know of a way to do
this under Linux?  Perhaps a script you are aware of?  Thanks for any
help you can give me.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Can't install gdk-pixbuf in redhat
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Tan Chee Sin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I 've downloaded the rpm from
> http://www.redhat.com/swr/i386/gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.i386_dl.html
> then I install with "rpm -ivh gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm". I seems
> install.  But when I do a "rpm -qi gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0.1.src.rpm", it
> reported "package gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm is not installed". So

try rpm -qi gdk-pixbuf

skip all the trailing version numbers when you perform a query for a
package

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Configuration of sound card yamaha724 (linux6.0)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Buchan Milne wrote:

> Options (any linux distro):
> 1)Get a new sound card
> 2)There are commercial binary drivers available from OSS (sorry, I
 don't have a
> url), which work for something like 2 hours if you don't buy them,
 and cost
> more than your soundcard if you want to run them plermanently.
> 3)Wait until Yamaha is kind enough to release info for people to
 write drivers,
> or releases their own drivers
> 4)Write drivers yourself and become a hero to every linux user with
> YMF724-based card.

5) get ALSA (http://www.alsa-project.org) and use it. . .(I refuse to
pay for something I can get for free. . . )

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to turn on remote root login?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: C Sanjayan Rosenmund <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Kheng-Teong Goh wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     Thanks for being helpful. To the question is there any reason I
 can't login
> in as normal user? and su? It's seems that su can't do a lot of
 things.

actually, if you "su -" it will act as if you had just logged in as
root.  I've not been able to find one that root can do that "su -"
cannot.  It is also *much* safer.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Linux and Modem
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Andreas Zanke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi all,

Does anybody know, how to configure a modem (connected to a serial
port) to answer a call?

Any hints would be appreciated.

regards
Andreas

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem connects, problems with Netscape, telnet, etc,(Where is my mi
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Linux-Addict <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

If you have a ethernet card (nic) in your box, your going to have to
run this command at SU , /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down. if the nic is up an
running Netscape is looking to the network to run ,not your dialup.
To load in your modem at bootup in /etc/rc.d/rc.serial add the
 following
line, this is my settings you will have to run cat /proc/pci to get
 your
settings. In /rc.serial , setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A  port
 0xb800
irq 10. If the /rc.serial doesn't exist use Emacs editor to create
 it.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Eisenberg) wrote:
> Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
> Server after using the following line
>
> setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig
>
> It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth
 on
> the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect
 and
> it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.
 It
> seems like I'm not connected at all.  I tried pinging, telnet, etc,
> etc, on many sites.  I also used another account besides root since
> read Corel disables Internet browsing with the root account.  Any
 help
> would be great.  I also am curious as how to make the setserial
 line
> above load up every time?  I think I edit the
 /etc/rc.boot/0setserial

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: SoundMAX supported?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Konstantin Prokazov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

========
Mr. Konstantin A. Prokazov
National Technical University of Ukraine
E-mail  : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
FidoNet : 2:463/261.1
ICQ UIN : 43724563
========
Everybody, hello!

Does anyone saw drivers for SoundMAX (Analog Devices 1885?) sound
 codec on
Intel I810F motherboard for Black Cat Linux 6.2 (kernel 2.2.14b-smp)
 or
Red Hat 6.2?

I successfully install XFCom i810 support for integrated Intel 752
 video
accelerator, but can't find drivers (or patches) for integrated sound
codec (SoundMAX).

Can you help me?
;^)

Thnx,
 See you later...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Enabling swap partition?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Yidao Cai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 Can someone tell me if there
> should be an entry in /etc/fstab for my swap partition, and if
> so, what should it look like?

/dev/hda6   swap    swap defaults        0 0

cai

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: is there a port to windows media player?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: max barwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Maybe you could try realplayer, or freeamp?

max

Daniel Klimkowski wrote:

> I need to know if there is a port of Windows media player to Linux
 or
> anything that emulates it.  I'm wanting it so that I can stream
 audio from
> online radio stations and most of them require Windows Media
 Player.

--
=======================================
-      Max Barwell    -  - powered by -

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RH - Win98 connectivity
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Ralf Kleineisel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

John Hanson wrote:

> I have a printer attached to my 98 machine that I
> >>would like to print to from Linux.

I have a Win95 box connected to one with RedHat 6.2. The Windoze
computer
has a printer installed. I try to setup Samba to use the printer from
Linux. When I print a file under Linux it appears in the list of
print jobs on the Win95 machine. As soon as the transfer is complete
the print job disappears from the list and nothing else happens.
No printing, no error message. Printing from Win95 works fine.

Anyone got an idea?

Thanks.

--
Ralf Kleineisel  -  Regionales Rechenzentrum Erlangen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie: installing applications
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: "Jeff Malka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I am a total neophyte to Linux and Unix and am not sure how to
 install
applications into my Linux system (TurboLinux 6 workstation).

I have found some applications on CDs of other distributions.  In
 particular
something I would like (BRU2000) from a CD of Caldera Open Linux 1.3
 that
comes in a book I purchased.  Is it possible to install an
 application from
such a CD into my Turbolinux installation?

If I run turbopkg on this Caldera CD, it, not surprisingly finds
 nothing to
install.  How do I proceed to install from a different CD?  I am
 concerned
to run the Caldera's install because it might overwrite my present
installation.

--
Jeff Malka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Partitioning of large IDE-Disk
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Oliver D. Bedford)

Hi,

  I've partitioned a disk into 3 partitions:

Disk /dev/hdc: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 29765 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hdc1             1     12484   6291904+   b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdc2         12485     24968   6291936    b  Win95 FAT32
/dev/hdc3         24969     29765   2417688    b  Win95 FAT32

  But when I "mount -t vfat /dev/hdc1 /C" etc. I get:

/dev/hdc3              2096960    375808   1721152  18% /inbox
/dev/hdc2              2096960    375808   1721152  18% /D
/dev/hdc1              2096960         0   2096960   0% /C

  (I've copied some files to /C and /inbox).

  What's wrong? Or: what documentation should I read?

  TIA,
        Oliver

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Colin Watson)

Tan Chee Sin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I 've downloaded the rpm from
>http://www.redhat.com/swr/i386/gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.i386_dl.html
>then I install with "rpm -ivh gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm". I seems
>install.  But when I do a "rpm -qi gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0.1.src.rpm", it
>reported "package gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm is not installed". So
>what's wrong?

Firstly, when you do any query without the -p option, you're querying
installed packages, and must only give the plain package name:

  rpm -qi gdk-pixbuf

Secondly, you've actually installed a source package, not a binary
 one,
and this will have been installed into /usr/src/redhat. If you really
did want to build from source, try this instead:

  rpm --rebuild gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.src.rpm

I suspect you probably wanted to get the binary package instead,
 though,
so look for a .i386.rpm and use this command:

  rpm -ivh gdk-pixbuf-0.5.0-1.i386.rpm

--
Colin Watson
 [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: 61GB Maxtor HD problem, please help!
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: Alberto BARSELLA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jonathan McKinney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Get into linux, detected fine.  fdisk it to full size(it's for data
 storage) and
> format using mke2fs.  Formated fine.

Did you run a bad blocks check?  It will take ages, but it's good to
do at least once on a newly acquired drive.

> Mounting it went fine the first time, used it, benchmarked it, etc.
 fine.  I did
> notice however that the size only ended up being:
>
> Filesystem           1k-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on

> /dev/hda1             56450776   5408896  51041880  10% /us1
>
> when the total should be a few gigabytes higher.

Check the reserved block percentage and lower it.
(man tune2fs)  I think mke2fs reserves 5% for root, which in a 61Gb
 is
quite a lot of disk space...

> I rebooted and upon boot it said my /dev/hda1 had errors and forced
 a check.  It
> just went too long, so I killed it.

Weird.  Was it unmounted correctly?
(BTW I'm not sure of the max size of a single filesystem, maybe it's
worth checking out).

> Jun 23 20:15:08 kerr kernel: EXT2-fs warning: mounting unchecked
 fs, running
> e2fsck is recommended
> Jun 23 20:15:08 kerr kernel: EXT2-fs error (device ide0(3,1)):
> ext2_check_blocks_bitmap: Wrong free blocks count for group 0,
 stored = 7691,
> counted = 7704

This is FS errors.

> Before, other errors I got were like:
> Jun 22 21:35:48 kerr kernel: hda: read_intr: status=0x59 {
 DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> Jun 22 21:35:48 kerr kernel: hda: read_intr: error=0x10 {
 SectorIdNotFound },
> CHS=65535/12/54, sector=66060026

This is disk error.  If they tend to happen always at the same place,
create a mini-partition around those tracks and run badblocks in
 write
(destructive) mode to see what happens.

Hope this helps,
Alberto
--
Alberto BARSELLA
PGP fingerprint = 13 3F 22 D2 0B 0A D3 25  F1 89 FE B5 82 AD 75 2A

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Mandrake 7.1 Install Problem "could not mount a CD" using 1542cf
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:15 GMT

From: "Eric A. Cottrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Buchan Milne wrote:

> You can get to a console using CTRL-ALT-(1-6) and try fix it from
 there. Have you
> tried booting from a floppy (I can't remember if the other images
 might have
> support for more scsi devices). Have you checked that mandrake
 supports your scsi
> controller. Check at http://www.linux-mandrake.com

Hello,

I was able to "fix" the problem by using a 2940.  It would only work
 if
it detected the SCSI card.  If I used expert mode and set the card
 type
then I got the same could not mount error.

So there is either a parameter I am not entering (I used the
 autoprobe
selection when asked) or there is a problem with the install after it
asks for a scsi card.

I tried floppy boot.  I downloaded a new bios/mcode for the 1542cf
 that had
a bootable CD option but it does not work.  I tried the bootable CD
on the 2940 and a 2940 on another machine and could get it to fail in
 expert
mode.  I did a MD5Sum check on the install iso file and it matches.

I will see if I can get to a console when that error message pops up.

73 Eric [EMAIL PROTECTED]  WB1HBU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Cannot ping localhost; just hangs
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: JDonner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi I'm a ppp user (no net card) and I can't ping localhost (I do
have it defined).  I think I need to add it to my routing table
somehow.  Here's some output:

[root@mystery jd]# cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain
127.0.0.1       mystery         mystery.localdomain

[root@mystery jd]# ifconfig -a
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          LOOPBACK  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol
          inet addr:63.214.108.242  P-t-P:209.247.23.42
Mask:255.255.255.255
          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1524  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

[root@mystery jd]# /sbin/route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
 Use
Iface
209.247.23.42   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
 0
ppp0
0.0.0.0         209.247.23.42   0.0.0.0         UG    0      0
 0
ppp0

So it looks like I need a route to localhost.  When (from the route
manpage)
I do:

[root@mystery jd]# /sbin/route add -net 127.0.0.0
SIOCADDRT: Invalid argument

[jd@mystery jd]$ ping localhost
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes
(hangs; have to ^C)

(I was online for these tests)

I appreciate any help,

Jeff

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Setting up Personal LAN through TCP/IP on Internet
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: Eric Heidel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
tom_blank@*nospam*hotmail.com says...

> On this LAN I have my 3 computers...( all
> are win9x workstations ).
>
> I have set up PPTPD on my Linux box to allow them to log in and use
> the 192.168.X.X addresses as I have on my Internal network. They
 can
> connect fine using the Microsoft VPN Adapater, and route through me
> fine but are not visible through network neighbourhood. ( they can
 be
> pinged on their 192.168.x.x ip )

Tom - As weird as it sounds, this may be a Win9x thing.  Make sure
 the
people who are connecting into your network have the right domain or
workgroup name in their network settings in Win9x.  I'm still pretty
 new
to Linux, but I do netadmin stuff for Win9x/NT (hey, it's a
 paycheck!). I
had some troubles browsing on my personal network until I changed the

names to match.

Let me know if that helps.
-Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: About PPPoE
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: Cheung-Yu Chong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi,

I'm using PPPoE and rp-pppoe-1.9 to connect to internet. To start the
connection, I need to change to root and then run the script
"adsl-start". My question is: Is it possible to run the script as a
user?  What is the advantage (or disadvantage) to run the script
"adsl-start" as root?  Is it a must to connect to the internet?

In fact, I faced similar problem when I use kppp and my modem to
 connect
to internet. I think it is a general problem about using PPP. Right?
However,
I have no idea.

Thank for your help in advance.

Freddy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Remote X login to linux server ???
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: Paul Dragicevich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Jeremy Low wrote:

> Anyone has any idea how I may do a remote X login to a linux server
 from a
> windoz box. I wish to see the same X login display like I am in
 front of a
> linux terminal presenting to me an X login.
>
> thanx there :-)

I've had good results with XWin32 and also XCursion.  To have the
 login
etc like you want to, use Xcursion and connect using XDMCP mode.  xdm
has to be running on the linux machine for this to work.  When you
connect, you will get a full screen window with your x login prompt
which will then go on to display whatever window manager/desktop
environment you use.

With XWin32 you can use XDMCP mode as well but it doesn't work as
 well,
I think it's because XWin32 acts as your window manager as well as
 your
X server - I had errors from enlighnenment trying to start up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:45:00 GMT, Paul Eisenberg
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Hey!  I finally got my a modem to work and connect with my Internet
>Server after using the following line
>
>setserial /dev/ttyS2 auto_irq autoconfig
>
>It then seems to dial fine after putting a # sign in front of auth on

>the /etc/ppp/options(i think correct path).  Now after I connect and
>it logs in I am unable to use Netscape, telnet, or anything else.
 It
>seems like I'm not connected at all.  I tried pinging, telnet, etc,

Can you ping an IP address once connected?  For example,
  ping 64.28.67.48                 (IP of slashdot.org)
should give you something.  If it does, then you are connected, you
 just
don't have DNS.  You can fix that by either manually adding the DNS
 lines
in /etc/resolv.conf or having the PPP-up script do that for you.
 kppp or
GNOME's PPP dialer have options to fill in the DNS servers.  The
 format of
the /etc/resolv.conf file is like so:

search
nameserver xxx.yyy.zzz.www
nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd

Replace those with the actual IP addresses of your ISP's DNS servers,
naturally.  Your ISP should be able to tell you those.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows      /\    "Man could not stare too long
 at the face

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ok, i'm fucking pissed. dual boot winnt and linux
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: Eric <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

mike wrote:

> *sigh*
> Ok I was able to mount my linux partition, but in the process I
 managed to
> somehow hose up a logical drive in an extended partition right
 after my
> linux root partition.

This probably happened during the creation of the new partitions.
Since you can mount the linux partition, do so, and backup any data
 you
don't want to lose on this partition to C: before continuing!

> In other words, in NT Disk Administrator from front
> to back I have a 4GB C: primary partition, a 128MB linux swap, a
 3GB linux
> root, and a 4GB FAT logical drive, which  I can't access. NT says
 unknown
> file type and linux says, bad fstype, or etc. etc. Disk
 Administrator
> shows it as the proper size, but not type, fdisk -l under linux
 says  that
> /dev/hda6 (linux root) and /dev/hda7 (windows logical) overlap. The
> option  in fdisk shows the ending sector of /dev/hda6 to be 915 and
 the
> beginning sector of /dev/hda7 to also be 915 not 916.  So do I move
 the
> beginning sector of /dev/hda7 or the ending sector of
> /dev/hda6?
> And what would be the best way to go about it?

As I said, backup whatever you can before doing anything. After that
 I'd
try to remove the last windows partition and create a new one. I
 still
assume there's no data in /dev/hda7 ,since in the original post you
mentioned that you created some new win partitions. If there is data
 in
hda7, I cannot mention this often enough, BACK-UP hda6 and try to
restore hda7 by making it the size it should have. I'm not sure but
 IIRC
there are tools that scan your
hardisc to find the beginning of the partitions on that disc, so you
 can
retrieve lost partitions. Unfortunately I do not know the name of any
 of
these programs (search freshmeat, try some keywords like 'partition'
'retrieve' 'restore' or such)

> I'm going to try Partition
> Magic tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll just try to
 recover the
> data and copy it to a new partition.

I can only hope for you that it can restore the corrupted table, but
wont take any bets on it.

Eric

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to C Sanjayan;

 CSR> Kheng-Teong Goh wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>     Thanks for being helpful. To the question is there any reason
>>     can't login
>> in as normal user? and su? It's seems that su can't do a lot of
>> things.
>>

 CSR> actually, if you "su -" it will act as if you had just logged
 in
 CSR> as root.  I've not been able to find one that root can do that
 CSR> "su -" cannot.  It is also *much* safer.

Yes, and no.

An su'd user first still has his user $PATH, which may or may not be
 the
roots $PATH.  So to get full functionality on some systems, he will
either have to give the full path to somethiing thats not in *his*
$PATH, or manually add to his $PATH.

I've been told that an 'su -- -root' fixes that, but it doesn't on
 either
of my systems.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: serial mouse with laptop?
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)

>> Alex, I'm trying to figure out how to use both an
>> external mouse and keyboard with my laptop even though
>> I only have one ps2 slot.  I tried using a serial
>> mouse but that didn't work, do you know why?
>
>Did you confugure it correctly?
>I've used a ps2 keyb and a serial mouse for a while...

Same here (and you can use the ps/2 mouse as well if needs be).

For a standard 2/3 button serial mouse, use the "Microsoft" protocol,
 on
device "/dev/ttyS0" if it's on the primary serial port. Enable 3
 button
emulation too.

You can, of course, stick a PS/2 mouse into the extrrnal slot and use
 that
(which should need no configuring), the built in pointer will also be
working at the same time though which can be a good or bad thing
 depending
on whether you like the built in one.

Frinky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 09:47:16 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J Bland)

>About the ssh. where can I get it? Did it come in Red Hat 6.2 power
 tools cd?
>It's ok. I think the web search is powerful enough.

Due to USA encryption nonesense it may or may not be in your distro.

But you can find it here: http://www.ssh.org/

or OpenSSH (an opensource, and fully free version) here:

http://www.openssh.com/

The fact that the commercial one is at a .org and the free at a .com
 is a
bit puzzling but there y'go ;).

Frinky

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list (and comp.os.linux.setup) via:

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

End of Linux-Setup Digest