From: "╭松本老師╯" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: [HELP] mount cdrom
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:12:36 +0800

> Got a loose powerplug?

Yes, Sir. I can try CLE now.
Thanks Eric for the input   ^_^
--
╭松本老師╯[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher)
Subject: Partitioning and LILO
Date: 10 Apr 2001 23:03:50 -0400

It's been a few years since I've installed Linux.  I'm now putting the
latest version of Slackware on a PII 400 system with a 20 gig HD.  To let
you know how long it's been, the last time I did this wa with Slackware
version 2.9 and hte HD was only 650 megs...and that was a decent size.

The problem I'm having is that I only get LI at boot (which I know means
it can't find all of the files).  I _think_ the problem stems from how I
initially partitioned the HD, too few partitions, too big chunks.  I
divied the HD into 3 partitions, 5 gigs for Windows (hda3) 200 megs swap
(hda2) and the remainder as root (hda1).

What I'm reading tells me that I need to specify more than just swap and
root.  How should I partition the HD?

BTW, I can boto from the installation CD, but not from floppy or hard
drive.  In all cases, I get the same problem.

Chris

------------------------------

From: s <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ManDrake 7.2 and Nvidia - I give up
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 22:21:01 -0500

Lucien Carrier wrote:

> Bonsoir,
>
> Le 10 Avr 2001 18:29:15 -0500, mrsmith a 嶰rit :
>
>> In every instance, upon booting, the OS drops back to run level 3 and
>> produces and error. The error begans by saying that no module path is
>> specified and it is using the default path, "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/".
>> Then it indicates an unkown error loading module "dbe". And an error
>> with the subsection "extmod". I have tried to specify the "ModulePath"
>> and it says it is not a correct command. I have moved the offending
>> modules into the default path and nothing is different.
>
> I have the same config of your and I have (also...) the same result when
> I tried to upgrade to XFree86 4.0.3 so I'd sticked with the 4.0.2 for
> now.
>
> I tried both "nv" and "nvidia" driver into de xf86config file but no
> chance anymore...
>
> Prochaine,
>
> Lucien

Geez, sorry you're having such a rough time.  I've been using the nvidia
drivers since the new kernel was released about the beginning of the year.
(Couldn't previously due to a lack of agpgart support for my mobo).
Presently I have 7.2, XFree86-4.0.3-3, and nvidia-0.9-769. (Asus
V7700-GeForce2GTS).   I just untarred, typed make, ran the nv_check.sh
script and deleted the files it said to rename.  Is that nv_check.sh script
still available on nvidia's site?  It's only about 10kb.  If you guys want
it, email me and I'll send it to you.  (Just change excitedotcom to
bellsouthdotnet.)  It really helps because the biggest problem is the
conflicting gl libraries and it ids them.
-s

------------------------------

From: David Shifflett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.2.16 -> 2.2.18 migration, modules problem
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:40:37 GMT

Hi all,
I have installed the 2.2.16-22 kernel
from the Redhat 7.0 distribution.
I then downloaded, compiled and installed the 2.2.18
kernel from source, using the following commands:
make mrproper
make xconfig
make dep bzImage modules modules_install
sh /usr/src/linux-2.2.18/arch/i386/boot/install.sh 2.2.18 \
/usr/src/linux-2.2.18/arch/i386/boot/bzImage System.map /boot

When I boot the 2.2.18 kernel it doesn't
recognize the ethernet card.
I think that is because no modules are loaded
during startup.
I think that is because '/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe'
doesn't exist.

When I boot the 2.2.16-22 kernel I get the following
in /var/log/messages:
kernel: usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
kernel: usb.c: registered new driver hub
kernel: usb-uhci.c: $Revision: 1.232 $ time 16:53:56 Aug 22 2000
kernel: usb-uhci.c: High bandwidth mode enabled
kernel: usb-uhci.c: Intel USB controller: setting latency timer to 0
kernel: usb-uhci.c: USB UHCI at I/O 0x1080, IRQ 9
kernel: usb-uhci.c: Detected 2 ports
kernel: usb.c: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number 1
kernel: usb.c: USB new device connect, assigned device number 1
kernel: hub.c: USB hub found
kernel: hub.c: 2 ports detected
kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff Hartmann
kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 203M
kernel: agpgart: Detected Intel 440BX chipset
kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000
kernel: 3c59x.c:v0.99H 01Aug00 Donald Becker
http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/vortex.html
kernel: eth0: 3Com 3c905B Cyclone 100baseTx at 0x1000,  00:10:5a:5d:73:0d, IRQ 5

However, these don't show up when booting the 2.2.18 kernel.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
I realize that more info may be necessary,
but I am not sure what to include, just let me know.

Thanks in advance,
David Shifflett

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: scsi_mod error on startup
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:33:37 GMT

Jason LaPenta wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recompiled my kernel to include scsi support and the generic support
> etc. I have no scsi modules, it's all directly in the kernel. Yet when I
> start up I get an error from scsi_mod.o with undefined symbols. How do I
> get rid of this error? I've check modules.conf and it looked ok. I've
> copied System.map to the right place and run depmod. Any idea of other
> places to check?

Correcting Boot Time Module Errors

Notice:  The steps below are ONLY for kernels with no loadable modules.
 (If you compiled everything into the kernel only!)
 *** You have been warned! ***

Since you told the kernel what it needs during the configuration section
of rebuilding the kernel, it no longer needs to be told at boot time
what modules to use.

To correct this we want to:
 Comment out the line around line 252 in the rc.sysinit file.
(vi +252 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit):

  if [ -x /sbin/depmod -a -n "$USEMODULES" ]; then

 You will also need to comment out these lines starting around line 264
in the rc.sysinit file.

(vi +264 /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit):

if [ -L /lib/modules/default ]; then
 INITLOG_ARGS= action "Finding module dependencies" depmod -a default
else
 INITLOG_ARGS= action "Finding module dependencies" depmod -a
    fi
fi

You will no longer need the conf.modules file or modutils, since it is
only used by the kernel to load the modules needed by your system.

  rpm -e --nodeps modutils

  rm -f /etc/conf.modules
        # or modules.conf depending which your system uses.

With these changes you would now be ready to reboot your system into the
new kernel.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.154% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Partitioning and LILO
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 03:41:48 GMT

Christopher wrote:

> It's been a few years since I've installed Linux.  I'm now putting the
> latest version of Slackware on a PII 400 system with a 20 gig HD.  To let
> you know how long it's been, the last time I did this wa with Slackware
> version 2.9 and hte HD was only 650 megs...and that was a decent size.
>
> The problem I'm having is that I only get LI at boot (which I know means
> it can't find all of the files).  I _think_ the problem stems from how I
> initially partitioned the HD, too few partitions, too big chunks.  I
> divied the HD into 3 partitions, 5 gigs for Windows (hda3) 200 megs swap
> (hda2) and the remainder as root (hda1).
>
> What I'm reading tells me that I need to specify more than just swap and
> root.  How should I partition the HD?
>
> BTW, I can boto from the installation CD, but not from floppy or hard
> drive.  In all cases, I get the same problem.
>
> Chris

This is how I have a 9.1 GB drive setup. If/when I reinstall again I
will make /usr larger somewhere around 2-2.5 GB. But all that is
"required" is "/" root and swap.

 df -h
/dev/hda1              99M   43M   50M  46% /
/dev/hda5             6.1G  4.0G  1.7G  70% /home
/dev/hda10            152M  337k  144M   0% /tmp
/dev/hda6             1.2G 1009M  113M  90% /usr
/dev/hda9             243M  6.2M  224M   3% /usr/src
/dev/hda7             387M  121M  246M  33% /var

From: hac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Can't boot off CD (SuSE 7.0)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:06:24 GMT

Dances With Crows wrote:

> On 9 Apr 2001 08:38:16 GMT, Nick Condon staggered into the Black Sun and
> said:
> >Technically, I *can* boot off the CD but after 30 seconds of start up
> >messages, I think it tries to start X and my display just goes blank.
> >Then the monitor starts flashing up an "out of frequency" error. All
> >the disks keep ticking over and the keyboard is still responding to
> >numlock, capslock, etc. I haven't been asked for any parameters at this
> >point.
> >
> >It's all new hardware; a KT7A motherboard, a Matrox G450 graphics card.
> >Any ideas anyone?
>
> I thought there weren't any problems with G450s... guess not.  You can
> probably do the install in text mode (enter "yast1" or "text" at the
> LILO: prompt; I forget which) and you may need to use xf86config instead
> of SaX to do the X configuration.  You might have better luck with the X
> 4.0.0 on SuSE's CDs than the old standby 3.3.6, or then again, maybe
> not.  It would be a good idea to check c.o.l.hardware for "G450" at
> http://groups.google.com/ just to see if the userbase has run into a
> similar problem in the past....

I couldn't get XFree86 3.3.6 to work with a G450, with similar
symptoms.  Someone else may have figured it out, but I sure didn't.
XFree86 4.0.2 with the modules downloaded from Matrox works just fine.

Many thanks to the kind soul who put together 4.0.2 rpm's for Red Hat
6.2.  While not related to the OP's problem, I did find the solution
to my problem using deja.

I don't *want* to run RH 7.0, due to the unofficial compiler version,
and general history of ".0" releases.  Am I the only one who would
prefer a 6.3?

--
Howard Christeller  Irvine, CA   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: ganesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem Installing Red Hat linux on a second HDD
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:30:04 -0000

Hi,
   I have windows 98(SE) installed on the first HDD.I bought a new hard
disk to install linux and to dual boot with windows 98.
This is what i did to install:
1. create a new partition on the first HDD(primary disk) for the linux
boot files. (using fips)..its mounted to '/boot'.
2. Created 3 partitions on the new HDD. One for linux swap(50mb),another
for linux root(ext2)(10 GB) and yet another for windows(fat32)(~28GB).(Its
a its huge 40 gb disk).
3. I installed LILO on the mbr.

LILO lets me choose between windows or linux..but when i ran windows it
showed some weird behavior..

1. windows took a long time to load..There was a blank screen with just a
blinking curson on the left top corner for over 5 seconds.Windows did come
up after that..
2. But,if I try to run 'windows explorer' the system hangs..There a
distinct sound of windows accessing the hard drive.Even ctrl+alt+del does
not work.I need to do a hard boot.

What could be the problem? Has anyone else faced similar problems? Please
suggest some solution..
Here are some more details:
1.OS Versions : Red hat linux 7.0,Windows 98.
2.Hard disk   : EIDE ,7200rpm 40 GB western digital(cavalier model).
Would appreciate any help..
Thanks a lot in advance!!

------------------------------

From: "Norman Zhang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: nic card
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:50:39 GMT

Thanks Colin. It worked.

Norman

news:r2yA6.700781$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: compiling the kernel
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:36:36 +1000

hi all

i compiled my kernel and as suggested i kept the old kernel as well. but
i think its the old kernel that's loading. is there a way to find out?

i say this because i completely threw out NFS but i can see the NFS
messages saying OK during bootup.

here's my lilo.conf file

riyaz

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/bzImage
 label=linux append="mem=256M"
 read-only
 root=/dev/hda6

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
 label=linux-old append="mem=256M"
 read-only
 root=/dev/hda6

other=/dev/hda1
 label=windows
 table=/dev/hda

------------------------------

From: Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ram inconsistency
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:42:32 +1000

i have 256M and linux reported 64M.

when i boot from lilo: linux mem=256M, linux reports correctly 256M.
however when i put append="mem+256M" line on the same as label in
lilo.conf it does not work.

it does not work when i add that line to the top either.

since linux recongnizes m 256M there must be an option somewhere to
corerct this. any help?

riyaz

=====

From: Riyaz Mansoor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: clock time
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:45:00 +1000

my clock on my gnome is 10 hours ahead. however the using the clock
command in a terminal returns the correct time. how do i correct this.

i suspect this is because i selected GMT and selected 10hours ahead
during setup.

this time thing is getting me down. as u can see, the posting time is in
the future. some X-File.

riyaz

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: compiling the kernel
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 05:15:18 GMT

Riyaz Mansoor wrote:

> hi all
>
> i compiled my kernel and as suggested i kept the old kernel as well. but
> i think its the old kernel that's loading. is there a way to find out?
>
> i say this because i completely threw out NFS but i can see the NFS
> messages saying OK during bootup.

  uname -a  # will tell which one is running and date and time it was
built.

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.157% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: seongju chang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What to choose from RedHat 7.0 Download files?
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:48:58 -0400

Hi,

I  have downloaded RedHat 7.0 files from one of mirror sites.
The size of the downloaded folder is more than 6.0 GB which includes
DMA, doc, iso, os, and powertools sub-folders. Could  anybody
tell me which ones I need for a typical Intel machine having
limited disk space? Obviously, I can not and need not to use all the files
I downloaded. Thanks for the tips in advance.

SJC

------------------------------

From: "Ted Berg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Getting DHCP and DNS to work together
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 21:34:31 +0700

In article <newscache$k13kbg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Stuart Langley"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Apologies if this is in a FAQ, I have looked but I can not seem to find
> it.

FAQ?  Those seem few and far beween somtimes...

> Is there some way that I can get DNS to also look up the names of the
> local windows boxes properly.

There exist a number of scripts that you can run to plug hostname/IP
pairs into your DNS from DHCP.  The URLs escape me at the moment, but a
search for "DNS update from DHCP" or "Dynamic DNS from DHCP" should get
you on the road.

If you have /no/ luck with this, remove the pig latin from my email
address and contact me directly.

HTH

Ted

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ram inconsistency
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 05:32:32 GMT

Usually the 'append mem=256M' is on its own line.
Do you execute '/sbin/lilo' as root to change the lilo?

------------------------------

From: E J <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sndconfig - soundcard conf file example
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 05:44:45 GMT

Talen wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I am attempting to enable sound support under VMWARE. I am using Win2k as
> host, and Mandrake v6 Linux as guest. When I run sndconfig, it never drops
> the configuration file because OPL resource is always busy. I think I can
> fake it out if I had the contents of a successfully configured "soundcard"
> file for a
> SoundBlaster from "/etc/sysconfig/soundcard".

NO!  The sound configuration is from /etc/modules.conf

# this is my sound card, so massive changes are need to make it work for your
sound card.
alias sound-slot-0 sb
options sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 mpu_io=0x330

> I am new to Linux, so I may be wrong, but I would appreciate someone posting
> a reply with the contents of their soundcard file.
>
> Also, has anyone attempted to use a Linksys BEFSR41 router/switch to serve
> up Internet access via cable modem with Linux? I have tried to configure
> Linux like I would my Windows box to get net access, but no luck so far.

My Linksys BEFSR41 router works well with my DSL connection.  If you use
default configuration on BEFSR41,
you need to set up your Linux to connect using DHCP.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: change display card ?
Date: 11 Apr 2001 05:50:17 GMT

david <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have executed xconfigurator to change the display card. However,
> I stills fail to startx. any idea ?

Probabily you still have a faulty configuration for resolution,
refresh frequency and the like. See the XFree86-HOWTO and try
to tinker with the configuration file by hands. Usually is the
best way.

Davide

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest