Linux-Setup Digest #54, Volume #21               Mon, 16 Apr 01 08:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: 32-bit disk cache? (David Efflandt)
  Re: BeOS + Linux + Windows 2000 - Triple boot trouble. ("Pavan")
  Re: What's wrong with my terminal? (David Efflandt)
  2.4.3, ATA100 & Hedrick's patches ("Pavan")
  connect to a printer on  a WINNT LAN ("Crystal Luo")
  PCMCIA? (Michael Fakaro)
  mount a linux partition ("Crystal Luo")
  Re: mount a linux partition (David)
  Re: mount a linux partition ("Crystal Luo")
  HD Partitioning failure with Mdk7.2 ("Mark R.")
  "diald" setup (203.126.136.170 [[EMAIL PROTECTED]])
  Re: removing Linux presence from MBR (Erik Veenstra)
  Re: Please help me with dual boot system. (Erik Veenstra)
  RedHat 6.1 installation freezes ! (federico b)
  Daylight saving bug in Redhat Linux? (Raymond Chui)
  Re: Booting >1024 cylinders?? ("Rod")
  Re: HD Partitioning failure with Mdk7.2 ("Rod")
  Re: Xconfigurator help. ("LittleFish")
  Re: Please help: /dev/rft0 not found ("H.A.J. van Niekerk")
  FreeSco setup / cablemodem ("H.A.J. van Niekerk")
  LILO bootmenu w/ diff. kernels (Jagged)
  Re: Booting >1024 cylinders?? ("Peter T. Breuer")
  Re: Cannot run runInstaller of R3 for Linux Intel (Dino Hsu)
  Re: removing Linux presence from MBR (Reinhard Peters)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: 32-bit disk cache?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 06:20:14 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Stephen W. Hiemstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have Linux booting off of a second hard-drive that is a bit slow.
> Earlier, I remember hearing that there is a way to activate 32-bit disk
> caching (maybe not the right terminology) that will spend things up.  Can
> anyone explain how this is done or point me to a reference?
>
> I am dual-booting SuSE Linux 6.4 and WinMe on a Pentium class machine with
> 32MB RAM and lots of disk space.

man hdparm

There is also a kernel configure option so the kernel will automatically
try to use dma if possible, which is quicker.

--
David Efflandt  (Reply-To is valid)  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.beos,alt.os.linux,comp.sys.be.help
Subject: Re: BeOS + Linux + Windows 2000 - Triple boot trouble.
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:53:18 +0530

I use SBM ( Smart Boot Manager - search in google) which boots OSes
from both my HDDs comfortably. It sits in MBR and has lots of options.

Since you said you might upgrade your linux, I think this is the best
option because SBM is not concerned with linux present or not. You
might have trouble with LILO in case you delete your linux partition.
Of course SBM requires you to have LILO to be on the Linux
partition(can be extended also).

SBM will boot BeOS also comfortably.

-Pavan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: What's wrong with my terminal?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 06:31:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:37:28 GMT, Bernie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm using Red Hat Linux 7.0 and KDE 2.0.1.  When I use a meta command,
> as demonstrated below, there are escape characters displayed in the
> output.
> You can see the \033[00m at the beginning of the file names.  This
> occurs with
> the bash or ksh shells.  I've tried different terminals, such as vt100
> and xterm,
> and get the same results.  How can I prevent this?
>
> -Thanks
>

> /home/bernie/docs> rm $(ls|grep -i java_netwo)
> rm: cannot remove `\033[00mJava_Networking_FAQ.txt\033[00m': No such
> file or directory
> rm: cannot remove `\033[00mjava_networking_faq.txt\033[00m': No such
> file or directory

Those are ansi color codes.  You could set up a no color alias:

alias lsnc="ls --color=never"

This is a .bashrc example, haven't used ksh.

From: "Pavan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2.4.3, ATA100 & Hedrick's patches
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 12:01:56 +0530

Hi,

My kernel 2.4.3(vanilla) compiled with via IDE chipset support detects
my 686b chipset at bootup and even runs my IBM Deskstar 75GXP at
ATA100(according to boot messages).

So why are the hedrick patches required? Isn't my hdd running at
ata100 even though hdparm and dmesg say ata100(udma5)?

hdparm -t gives 25 MB/s

Please help...

-Pavan

------------------------------

From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: connect to a printer on  a WINNT LAN
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:04:54 +0800

Dear all,

How can I make use of a printer on my company's WINNT LAN from a PC with
Redhat Linux 7.0?

Any hints will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Crystal

------------------------------

From: Michael Fakaro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA?
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera,comp.os.linux.hardware
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 00:08:01 -0700

I've managed to read up and to install my PCMCIA adapter and load the
modules.

It is recognized and beeps when the card goes in, it also shows up in my
PCMCIA preferences as a loaded ATA/IDE fixed disc in slot one.

so far so good... I thought

So my question is how do I mount it, and browse it???

I tried using webmin, it shows the drive as hde1 but when I try to mount it
it says it does not exist.

So I went to the command line and..

I tried "mount -t vfat  /dev/hde /mnt/pcmcia1" it states wrong file system

I tried "mount -t vfat  /dev/hde1 /mnt/pcmcia1" it states special device
doesn't exist

hde exists in the /dev directory but hde1 doesn't

I put pcmcia1 & pcmcia2 in the /mnt directory myself

I can't find any documentation on it!... any ideas??

Thanks

Mike

------------------------------

From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mount a linux partition
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 15:15:16 +0800

Dear all,

On my hard disk, I have /dev/hda2 linux partition mounted as /. I reserved
/dev/hda9 linux partition for storing linux data.

The trouble is I have to mount /dev/hda9 to a directory under / everytime in
order to store data on it. Is there any way that I can have this partition
under / permanently?

Thank you very much in advance.

Crystal

------------------------------

From: David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: mount a linux partition
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:37:54 GMT

Crystal Luo wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> On my hard disk, I have /dev/hda2 linux partition mounted as /. I reserved
> /dev/hda9 linux partition for storing linux data.
>
> The trouble is I have to mount /dev/hda9 to a directory under / everytime in
> order to store data on it. Is there any way that I can have this partition
> under / permanently?
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Crystal

Add it to /etc/fstab something like this.

/dev/sda9    /mountpoint      ext2    defaults        1 2

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538
Completed more W/U's than 99.162% of seti users. +/- 0.01%

------------------------------

From: "Crystal Luo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:03:34 +0800

Hi, David. Thank you very much. Your answer is excellent. My problem's
solved.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Mark R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HD Partitioning failure with Mdk7.2
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 05:23:35 -0400

I have installed Linux Mandrake in the past without a hitch, however,
recently after upgrading my mb to the Gigabyte GA-5AX version F3 bios mb.  I
am not able to install.  I have an AMD k6/2 550mhz cpu, 64M SDRAM, permedia2
based video card in this system with two hd's.  hd1a is a ConnerTech CT210
10gig drive, hda2 is a Western Digital WDAC35100 5gig drive, both Fat32
format.  My intent is to put linux on the second drive.  Right off the bat I
notice DMA messages scrolling by, too quickly for me to read.  When I
continue on, Mdk insists it cannot sync my drives, with the following
message:

"Partitioning failed:  The FAT resizer is unable to handle your partition,
the following error occured:  Can't locate method "new" via package
"resize_fat::main" at /usr/bin/perl-install/install_interactive.pm line108,
<> line 5."

What the!  At this point I'm lost.  Fdisking drives and reformatting doesn't
work.  Win98 has now problem with this hardware setup, but I want Linux,
what can I do.  If anyone has any suggestions lets hear it.

Mark R.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: 203.126.136.170 [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Subject: "diald" setup
Date: 16 Apr 2001 09:42:39 GMT

Dear all,

I would like to setup "diald" working with "chat" and "pppd" on my Linux machine so as
to automatically dial-up to my ISP.  After several trials, it can now dial-up but a
connect to the internet cannot be made.  Here is the file /var/log/syslog I checked:

boa: Boa/0.93.15 started
diald: running system pid=22 "/bin/ifconfig sl0 10.255.255.253 pointopoint
10.255.255.254

mtu 1500 up"
diald: running system pid=23 "/bin/route add 10.255.255.254 metric 1  dev sl0"
diald: running system pid=24 "/bin/route add default metric 1 dev sl0"
diald: running dialer "/bin/chat -T 929330800 -f /etc/config/chat.ttyS1"
diald: Running connect (pid = 25).
diald: Running pppd (pid = 26).
pppd: pppd 2.3.8 started by (unknown), uid 0
pppd: Using interface ppp0
pppd: pppd create pidfile
pppd: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
pppd: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
pppd: Connection terminated.
pppd: Exit.

Would anybody tell me what the problem is and teach me how to solve it?  Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,
Page

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:37:38 +0200
From: Erik Veenstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: removing Linux presence from MBR

J Chung wrote:

> I think that the command "format /mbr" from DOS will clear your MBR, but I
> am not sure about any side-effects.  I _believe_ that your partitions,
> etc. would be safe but I would wait to hear from someone else before I
> tried it.
>
> --Jean
>
> On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, David Miller wrote:
>
> > I recently tried to turn a win NT server into a linux server. I installed
> > Debian linux which modified the MBR. I now need to install Win NT again and
> > I want to remove the linux boot from the MBR. Can someone give me the
> > command? Do I execute it from within Linux or DOS?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dave

By heart, it is 'fdisk /mbr', not 'format /mbr'

gegroet,
Erik V.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 11:42:18 +0200
From: Erik Veenstra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help me with dual boot system.

Just Some Guy wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Can someone help me, I have got a PC with a 20GB Harddisk, Windows 2000
> Professional is installed on the first 5 Gb partition. The rest have not
> been partitioned. I would like to install Linux Redhat 7.0 on this machine
> dual bootable with Win2000. How will I go about doing it without
> uninstalling Win2000.
>
> Could someone please give me the procedure or point to the right place on
> the net.
>
> Thanx,
> Me, Myself and I

You can use LILO. It lets you choose what OS you want to boot during
bootup. Comes with almost every distribution.

gegroet,
Erik V.

------------------------------

From: federico b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RedHat 6.1 installation freezes !
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:02:08 -0400

After having completed the installation of all packages, the installation
process freezes, and hangs for  hours, thus obligating me to reboot the
whole
system.
My PC has 1 GB space on the HD, 48 MB ram, and 100 Mhz Pentium I.
Does anyone have a clue ?

Thanks a lot in advance

------------------------------

From: Raymond Chui <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Daylight saving bug in Redhat Linux?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 07:01:49 -0400

==============2FC65C590ABD7F003F8BA8AC

I have Redhat Linux 6.x. I just found this weekend our system still
one hour behind since April Fool (April 1).
I link /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/EST5EDT
This is daylight saving time for east time zone in US. But the system
did auto one hour forward. I need to manual set one hour ahead and
touch all file's modify time created after April 1.

Does anyone out there notice the same
problem in your Redhat Linux 6.x? Or is this well known problem
in FAQ? Is there a patch source fix this bug? There is the patch
source?
Thank you in advance!

--Raymond

==============2FC65C590ABD7F003F8BA8AC

begin:vcard
n:Chui;Raymond
tel;fax:(301)713-0963
tel;work:(301)713-0624 Ext. 168
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://members.xoom.com/rchui/
org:NWS, NOAA
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:SA, DBA
note:ICQ #: 16722494
adr;quoted-printable:;;NOAA, NWS, Office of Hydrology, OH=0D=0A1325 East-West Highway,
Room 8112;Silver Spring;MD;20910-3283;U.S.A.
x-mozilla-cpt:;-6384
fn:Raymond Chui
end:vcard

From: "Rod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Booting >1024 cylinders??
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:19:21 +1200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

here is a quote from a book i have.

"if the linux root partition is situatedoutside the magic 1024 cylinder
limit or on a non-accessable hard disk, the kernel file and other boot
info can be copied into a dos or windows partition that lies below this
limit.
(for startup lilo needs the kernel file , the files boot.b and map and
possible message files if the message option is used.)

root# mkdir /dosc                                                               #if
the dir does not already exist
root# mount -t vfat /dev.hda1 /dosc             #device name of windows partition
root# mkdir /dosc/lilo
cp /boot/* /dosc/lilo

in /etc/lilo.conf u must change the path settings for the kernel file and
possibly other files accordingly.
New in comparison with previous lilo.conf files are the options install
and map , which no longer (as in the default setting) point to the linux
directory /boot , but to the dos dir c:\lilo.
however please make sure the the root dir remains unchanged.
(the root option specifies where the linux root partition is located.
this location has not changed.)

# /.etc/lilo.conf

boot=/dev/hda
map=/dosc/lilo/map
install=/dosc/lilo/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
linear
default=linux

image=/dosc/lilo/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
        label=linux
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda7

other=/dev/hda1
        label=dos

when u can get lilo to work in this way , if u have NT or 2k u may like to use the
boot.ini as an O/S
selector.
mainly so u dont have to type dos when u wish to use it. *cough*

dd if=/dev/hda of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /dosc
copy /bootsect.lnx /dosc

Then find and edit boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Win2k" /fastdetect
C:\="Win9x"
C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux"

if u hate the look of dosc under ur / partition u may replace all *dosc*s
with /mnt/win_c

hope thats some help.

btw , im buggered if i know how the lilo can read off the dos partition ,
if it hasnt even been mounted.
anyone care to describe?

cheers

------------------------------

From: "Rod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HD Partitioning failure with Mdk7.2
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 11:27:09 +1200

does the disk ur are partitioning have any dos partitions on it?

------------------------------

From: "LittleFish" <littlefish_au[SPAM ME AT YOUR OWN RISK]@yahoo.com>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Xconfigurator help.
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:36:57 +1000

Did it sort out all your problems????
This has been a trap for anyone with a card that can have accelleration
Xconfigurator sets this on by default. It would be much better if instead it
was turned off by default.
Regards
Littlefish
news:ORJB6.171$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "H.A.J. van Niekerk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.general
Subject: Re: Please help: /dev/rft0 not found
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:51:21 +0200

Hi,

I tried mknod. Answer: file alreay exists
But: I've made a mistake. The message is:

/dev/rft0/: Cannot open: No such device. Error is not recoverable. Exiting now

Thanks

Huub

------------------------------

From: "H.A.J. van Niekerk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: FreeSco setup / cablemodem
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:55:11 +0200

Hi,

I want to use an old 80386, 8 MB RAM as a FreeSco-router to cablemodem.
Can anyone tell me if it is enough to add 2 NIC's to it and set up
FreeSco?

Thank you.

Huub

------------------------------

From: Jagged <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LILO bootmenu w/ diff. kernels
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:50:24 +0200

High,

After finally being able to install SuSE Linux 7.1, i encounter the
following problem now:

I configured LILO to setup a boot menu with 4 entries:

1. Linux kernel 2.2.* (don't remember the exact version)
2. Linux kernel 2.4.2-4GB
3. Linux SuSE (whatever that might be, i don't care so far)
4. memtest

I tried to setup the DSL connection, and nothing seemed to be
suspicious. After configuration i didn't really know how to dial out, so
I went to the SuSE homepage and found the following command line in an
article about trouble shooting DSL
(http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/jsmeix_dsl-test.html):

/usr/sbin/pppoed -F /etc/ppp/peers/pppoe -D -d 9

This worked almost fine, but then the connection was broken up again
automatically. The last four lines of output were:

Request completed successfully
(session ID=1281 AC MAC=00:90:1a:10:03:d6)
discovered SessionID!
cannot open /dev/pppox0: No such device

The problem was handled by SuSE already
(http://sdb.suse.de/sdb/de/html/jsmeix_adsl-71-kernel24.html), and they
say, it is a problem with kernel 2.4. They give three alternative
solutions:

1. change to kernel 2.2.18 temporarily
2. using the rp-pppoe package (didn't try that yet)
3. update the following packages (still test state, but they say it
should work fine, except some error messages while disconnecting):
        a. ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/bk/pppoe/ppp-2.4.0-5.i386.rpm
        b.
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/people/bk/pppoe/pppoed-0.48b1-6.i386.rpm

Now, first i tried to switch to 2.2.18 by chosing point 1 from the LILO
menu, but it still didn't work. `uname -a` still says "Linux ruth
2.4.2-4GB #1 [...]". The first LILO entry is supposed to load
/boot/vmlinuz, the second /boot/vmlinuz_24, and the third
/boot/vmlinuz.suse. All are of the same size, and `diff vmlinuz
vmlinuz_24` says there is a difference, while vmlinuz_24 and
vmlinuz.suse are reported as being identical.

Any idea about this?

Second, I tried to install the above mentioned updates, but my first
attempt was to install them over the already installed packages from the
SuSE 7.1 distribution (FTP installation from mirror
ftp.hilton.rwth-aachen.de), but rpm considered the updates older than
the packages from the installation and automatically cancelled the
update procedure. So I uninstalled the packages from the installation
first, then ran rpm again with those packages. They've been successfully
installed, but there is still no /dev/pppox0.

Can anyone help me out with this? Well, meanwhile i'm gonna try to
install rp_pppoe, but if you have any suggestions on how to get rid of
these problems, i'd be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jagged

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:40:56 +0200

Jeff Pierce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am confused, can LILO boot from a partition past 1024? I have been
> told, yse/no/maybe?

That is correct.

Peter

------------------------------

From: Dino Hsu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot run runInstaller of R3 for Linux Intel
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:02:24 +0800

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 16:06:20 GMT, Steve Bradley
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Told you it was an insultingly simple question...but I just put Oracle 8 on
>an RH7 system at work, and the installer worked perfectly for me.
>
>Have you tried this:
>
>mount -t iso9660 -o exec /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>
>The 'exec' option permits execution of binary files.  It's a common
>problem.  Also, if your system is automounting CD's (my RH7 system doesn't)
>you should add the exec switch to your /etc/fstab:
>
>/dev/cdrom     /mnt/cdrom    auto   noauto,exec,user,ro 0 0
>
>That way when it automounts it'll have the ability to execute binaries.
>
>Steve
>

>Dino Hsu wrote:
>

>> Steve,
>>
>> Sure it is perfectly possible for me to neglect some basics because I
>> am a beginner in Linux, or Unix in general. But I have thought of the
>> mount issue and have done some experiments. I tried to manually umount
>> and mount back the CD-ROM with:
>> mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
>> I made a conclusion later that Linux will automatically mount CD-ROM
>> (and floppy disk as well) when one is inserted in X window.
>> I wish those who have experience with Oracle 8 or 8i versions on Linux
>> Intel could kindly share their knowledge.
>>
>> By the way, there are some anomalies in my X window. For example, I
>> CANNOT edit any text files but I can view them; when I edit, nothing
>> comes out, no errors, no messages. I am wondering what the editor
>> (like NOTEPAD in MS-WIN?) is in X window, I have not seen it yet. My
>> version is gdm in Red Hat 7.0.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dino

runInstaller looks like a shell script, it is not a big file, so I can
list the content here:

<script begin>

#!/bin/sh

# The environment variable $SRCHOME cannot be set during the
installation
unset SRCHOME

unset SHLIB_PATH

CMDDIR=`dirname $0`

if [ "$CMDDIR" = "." ];then
   CMDDIR=`pwd`;
fi
# Replace relative path with fully qualified path.
if [ ! "`echo $CMDDIR|grep '^/'`" ];then
   CMDDIR=`pwd`/$CMDDIR;
fi

if [ x${PATH} != x ] ; then
  PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:$PATH
  export PATH
else
 PATH=/bin:/usr/bin
 export PATH
fi

if [ x${LD_LIBRARY_PATH} != x ] ; then
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
else
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib:/usr/lib
 export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
fi

THREADS_FLAG=native
export THREADS_FLAG

cd $CMDDIR/install/linux
./runInstaller $* &

<script end>

Maybe you can find out how to run this script.

Dino

------------------------------

From: Reinhard Peters <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:04:34 +0200

J Chung wrote:

> I think that the command "format /mbr" from DOS will clear your MBR
It should be "FDISK /MBR"
--
mfG / Best regards Reinhard Peters

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest