From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Subject: Re: Apache Help Please
Date: 19 Apr 2001 00:13:09 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:16:34 GMT, W. Jenkins \(PhlexTeck\) allegedly wrote:
>I don't know if this is the right group to post this in, but I'll try
>anyways..
>
>I have had apache running flawlessly for about 2 months now.  All has been
>fine up until today when everything took a big dump.  Figured out my log
>files filled up my hard drive.
>
>I run 12 virtual hosts on my system, all which serve graphics.  I have been
>trying to figure out how to keep from logging image files but without
>success.  Can somebody walk me through the process?  I'm a complete newbie
>at apache so be kind in explaining this to me.

Either you log everything, or you log nothing. What you can do though,
is reconfigure logrotate to clean up the logs when rotating them, and
configure it not to keep them as long. Also consider rotating them more
often, they won't get as large and expire sooner.

For the first consult the manual pages with "man logrotate" it gives a
good idea of what is possible.

Logrotate is configured either in /etc/logrotate.conf, or it uses the
scripts in /etc/logrotate.d/. Add the following lines to the apache
logrotate section:
        postrotate
                /usr/local/sbin/clean_apache_log
        endscript

If the logrotation isn't done with the logrotate program, it most likely
done with a cron job. Check for instance /etc/cron.daily/apache and
configure there that the post_rotate script /usr/local/sbin/clean_apache_log
is executed after each log rotation.

/usr/local/sbin/clean_apache_log is a simple shell script that cleans up
the old log:

#!/bin/sh
#/usr/local/sbin/clean_apache_log
# Cleans the old log, which has just been rotated, of unwanted entries

mv /var/log/httpd/access_log.1 /var/log/httpd/access_log.1.org

# now a very ugly clean up of entries with the extensions .jpg, .gif and
# .png in the httpd/access_log.1 log file.

grep -v .jpg /var/log/httpd/access_log.1.org | \
grep -v .gif | \
grep -v .png > /var/log/httpd/access_log.1

rm /var/log/httpd/access_log.1.org
# end of script.
--
If a trainstation is the place where trains stop, what is a workstation?
Herman Bruijn                         website:   http://hermanbruijn.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Peshak)
Subject: Re: hardware raid
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:13:33 GMT

While my experence with RAID is minimal...
I setup RedHat 7.0 on a Compaq ProLient with RAID1.  the procedure
was, using DiskDuid: make all of my partitions on the first dirve of
the type RAID, then repeat on second drive.  Then i had to match the
partions on the first drive to the ones on the 2nd (set up the mirror)
this was done with a button called "Make RAID device"  and that was
that.

Hope that helps
Scott Peshak
Life would be easier if we could look at the source code.

------------------------------

From: Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with reiser FS and kernel 2.4.3
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:09:27 -0400

> No i thought of this too. Its not compiled as a module.

I had the same error exactly (if memory serves me well).  It occured
because I didnt even have reiserfs supported at all.  If you go to "file
systems", reiserfs is only experimentally supported.  Therefore, you need
to enable "code level maturity options", or something like that, so you
have access to experimentally supported things like reiserfs (or firewire).

Greg

------------------------------

From: Gregory Davis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I compile using kgcc?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:11:21 -0400

Bill Cyzwenki wrote:

> I am running rh7.0
> kernel version 2.4.2
> make is version 3.79.1
> gcc is version 2.96
>
> I have read that I should use kgcc to compile the kernel, instead of
> gcc.  To set-up and compile a kernel I take the normal steps using
> "make".  How do I tell "make" to compile using kgcc instead of gcc?
>
> I see two places (in my /usr/src/linux-2.4.2/Makefile) where it seems to
> set variables to gcc.
> HOSTCC      = gcc
> CC                = $(CROSS_COMPILE) gcc
>
> Are these the two places I would change gcc to kgcc?  If so, are they
> the only two places
>
> Thanks for you help

What is kgcc, and why should one use it to compile kernels?  I have
compiled my kernels with gcc from 2.2.14 to 2.4.3.

Greg

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 00:53:16 GMT

Stefano Ghirlanda wrote:

> Hi,
> I am trying to set up a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with slackware linux.
> I have been successful in making a custom bootdisk with support for
> the RAID controller, which seems to be detected ok. I can see it in
> /proc/scsi/aac/0 (or something similar).
>
> The RAID configuration shoule be a RAID 1 with two hd's. I understood
> hardware RAID should be completely transparent to the OS, but I still
> see two hard disks as sda and sdb.
>
> So before making any mistakes I thought about asking here...
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Stefano - Hodie decimo quarto Kalendas Maias MMI est

I am not familiar with the Dell PowerEdge or the RAID controller that
comes with it, but..  for most (All?) of the hardware RAID controllers
that I've worked with you must set up the raid partioning prior to
installing the OS.  Normally you use a CRL-(some key) to enter the
RAID controller software on boot up, which allows you to set up the
RAID level and allocate the drives.  Once this is done, you reboot
and install.  You will (should) only see one drive in your case.  Some
controllers make you boot from DOS and use a utility to set up the
RAID configuration.

Best

Cokey

F. 'Cokey' de Percin, DBA       Email:
CSC (formerly Mynd)              Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Johnny Li(Li Guang-lei 1575623)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Install RH7.0 in an Athlon Box
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:29:46 +0800

I have a computer with Athlon 700MHz,128M Kingmax PC133 SDRAM,Geforce MX,KT133A
motherboard.... I installed RH7.0 ,and all run very well when I use command line
mode.

But when I try to use Xwindow( Run level 5), I can't enter X window and the
screen began to flicker.

I try to install the driver for my Geforce MX,but every time I tried I will get
an error.Even manually configuring it will also fail. I use Xconfigurator. Is it
a fault of Xconfigurator?

------------------------------

From: "Jeff" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH Linux ISO images
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:20:38 -0400

OK, I have been reading what the masses say about burning the ISO images
onto a CD.  Forgive me for being a linux idiot, but I cannot seem to get the
damn things burned correctly.  I am using Fireburner, and it appears to be
burning correctly, but then I cannot see anything on the cd!  I bought a
real copy of RH7 deluxe wkstn from RedHat, so can anybody tell me what to
use to burn directly from the CD as well as burning the ISO images so that
the show up correctly and not as a single file??  I have Adaptec EZ CD
creator and I changed the settings from Joliet to ISOxxxx, but the files did
not turn out right.  Please help me.  Thanks

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat 7.1 installation problem
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:25:51 -0400

KW wrote:

> I think the CD-ROM HAS to be on the primary IDE channel with the HDD.
> You may want to check that.   If it is connected to a soundcard you are
> probably SOL.

Excuse me... are you saying that one's CDROM drive *must* be on
the primary IDE controller, and can't be /dev/hdc or /dev/hdd
for the Red Hat 7.1 installation to work?

Please tell me I misunderstood.

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:33:31 -0400

Gregory Davis wrote:

> > I have read that I should use kgcc to compile the kernel, instead of
> > gcc.  To set-up and compile a kernel I take the normal steps using
> > "make".  How do I tell "make" to compile using kgcc instead of gcc?

> What is kgcc, and why should one use it to compile kernels?  I have
> compiled my kernels with gcc from 2.2.14 to 2.4.3.

When Red Hat bundled 7.0 for release, they bundled it with version
2.96 of GCC, which (according to Red Hat) is a "technically
superior" compiler. Trouble is, there is some (dare I say)
less-than-standard code in the Linux kernel source that earlier
versions of the compiler accepted, but that 2.96 won't. To get
around this, Red Hat bundled a copy of gcc 2.91.66 with their
7.0 distro and renamed it "kgcc". One should use "kgcc" to compile
the kernel, since it will accept the source constructs that break
2.96, and (I guess) use gcc 2.96 for other things.

There has been a lot of comment about Red Hat's decision to go
with 2.96, and I think the jury's still out on how wise it
was. Nevertheless, if you're running an earlier distro than 7.0,
don't worry about it. To verify which version of gcc you're
running, you can type "gcc -dumpversion" and it'll specify.

------------------------------

From: "Sean Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Partitioning for 2 Linux distributions
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 01:45:07 GMT

I've got a machine I'm installing Linux on for a friend and he would like
to have one distribution, with the possibility of adding a second one
later.  The two he has in mind is RedHat 7.1 and SUSE.  What I'm looking
for is advice on how to partition the 15 GB hard drive to accomplish
this.  I've installed RedHat on my own system so I'm familiar with that,
but I'm not that familiar with SUSE or setting up multiple distributions
on a single HD, sharing some data.

One specific question I had is what should be shared between the two
distributions?  I'm assuming that /home could be its own partition that
both distributions would mount, but I'm guessing that most of the others
(/var, /etc, /usr, ...) should mount differently based on the
distribution chosen at boot.

So what are everyone's thoughts?  The machine has 128 MB of RAM, and
again a 15 GB HD.  So I'd like to see a layout of number and size of
partitions.

PS I haven't been actively reading this list, so I apologize if this is a
frequently asked question.  Also, I may forget to check back here, so
feel free to e-mail me directly, although I will try to check back for
answers!

Thanks,
Sean
like to see how someone would layout the machine as far as numb

------------------------------

From: Derek Dresser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Starting inetd?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:40:20 -0400

Rand Simberg wrote:

> I'm trying to get an ftp server running.  My sysadmin manual says to
> modify the inetd.conf file, among others.  Then it says to
>
> 'killall HUP inetd' to restart inetd.  But inetd is not even
> running...
>
> How do I get inetd to run?

I think you'll find inetd in

/usr/sbin/inetd

that should start it.  If you are using redhat 7.0 use
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start

Derek

------------------------------

From: Derek Dresser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xhosting
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:43:32 -0400

robin barbehenn wrote:

> I am running linux-mandrake 7.1 with the server install.  How do you you
> turn on the ability to host remote xwindows sessions either via another
> linux/unix box or via an xwindow emulator for a windoes box.  Thanks in
> advance.
>
> RB

hello,

xhost <ip address of machine you want to allow to display to your machine>

should work

Derek

------------------------------

From: "Mark Oberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Installing RedHat 7 to Hardware RAID drives
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:52:05 -0400

This is a wild guess.  I don't have RedHat 7 or a DEC server.

Try typing in 'linux sprobe' at the LILO boot prompt.  That works with some
boot disks.  Might work with yours.

--
Mongoradio.net - Great music that isn't stuck in a rut!
The best music from the 60's to the 00's.

"Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

>   I have RedHat 7 Professional and I am trying to install it to a hardware
> RAID (Mylex DAC960).  When trying to install, I get an error stating that
> there is no writeable media available.  The server (DEC Prioris HX6000)
also
> has two embedded Adaptec AIC7880 SCSI controllers on the motherboard.  I
> have the embedded controllers' BIOS disabled with only the Mylex BIOS
> enabled, and the motherboard BIOS is set to boot from PCI (instead of
> embedded controllers).  One of the embedded controllers has only the
CD-ROM

------------------------------

From: John Scudder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: xmms quit working
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 22:18:35 -0400

Rob,

Thanks but I tried that, still nothing.

John

------------------------------

From: "Scott Simpson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where is ip_masq_pptp in 2.2.19?
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:25:22 GMT

I upgraded from the 2.2.17 kernel to 2.2.19 (to get around the race
condition fork and you get root bug) and my PPTP stopped working. I noticed
that the ip_masq_pptp.c file isn't in the /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4 directory
under 2.2.19 but it is under 2.2.17. Why?
    Scott

------------------------------

From: "Brad Camroux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 6.2 Printers
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 20:37:50 -0600

I have installed Red Hat 6.2 on my system, but cannot seem to configure a
printer.  Everything works fine except the printer... and i haven't figured
out how to configure my sound card yet either.  I've searched all the menus
and configurations but cannot find anything to do with a printer.  Any
insight as to how I can fix this?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott Peshak)
Subject: Adding Module to kernel
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:52:22 GMT

How do I compile a module that i need and add it to the kernel.  For
example i need to add AppleTalk support to my machine but i don't want
to recompile the whole kernel just to add this so i want to compile
AppleTalk as a module and load it in.  HOW??

Scott Peshak
Life would be easier if we could look at the source code.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To:
ahn.tech.linux,alive.computers.software.os.linux,alt.comp.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (None)
Subject: Re: Cannot connect to my servers.
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 02:56:53 GMT

In article <qbnC6.5728$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
"Andrew P" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Really,
>
> Have you heard of a program called nmap well it has indicated to me that all
> the ports used for the services I connect to are open. And unless RedHat 7.0
> installs a firewall automatically.... I think your theory holds no ground
> whatsoever. Does Caldera install a firewall automatically I highly doubt it.

The hosts.* are setup correctly for remote access ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rand Simberg)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 03:02:51 GMT

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001 21:40:20 -0400, in a place far, far away, Derek
Dresser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> made the phosphor on my monitor
glow in such a way as to indicate that:

>> I'm trying to get an ftp server running.  My sysadmin manual says to
>> modify the inetd.conf file, among others.  Then it says to
>>
>> 'killall HUP inetd' to restart inetd.  But inetd is not even
>> running...
>>
>> How do I get inetd to run?
>>

>I think you'll find inetd in
>
>/usr/sbin/inetd

Nope.  Not there...

>that should start it.  If you are using redhat 7.0 use
>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd start

I'm using 6.2.  No /etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd...

--
simberg.interglobal.org  * 310 372-7963 (CA) 307 739-1296 (Jackson Hole)
interglobal space lines  * 307 733-1715 (Fax) http://www.interglobal.org

Replace first . with @ and throw out the "@trash." to email me.
Here's my email address for autospammers: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest