From: "Peet Grobler" <peetgr at absa.co.za>
Subject: Re: How to configure HUGE swap?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 09:28:57 +0200

Really? Can't believe I got so behind the times...

And what do you mean? I'm running a machine with 128MB swap. And I can't buy
ram, the SIMM slots are full. (32MB Memory).
However I have to say that I re-compiled the kernel last night, and about
4MB iirc was used. Just didn't need the space yet, once I do I'll remove it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (可樂)
Subject: How to get inode count ?
Date: 29 May 2001 08:14:03 GMT

if space size =
  1538215 Block count ×4096 Block size ÷1024 ÷1024 ÷1024 = 5.8G

How to get Inode count = 770048 below?

root@rh1:/home # df -i
Filesystem            Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse% Mounted on
/dev/hda6             770048  755585   14463   98% /home
root@rh1:/home # df -h
/dev/hda6             5.8G  3.9G  1.5G  72% /home
root@rh1:/home # df
/dev/hda6              6056164   4122372   1626152  72% /home

# dumpe2fs /dev/hda6 -h

dumpe2fs 1.17, 26-Oct-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
Filesystem volume name:   <none>
Last mounted on:          <not available>
Filesystem UUID:          f2098034-8a94-11d4-9a39-c22da92bccf8
Filesystem magic number:  0xEF53
Filesystem revision #:    1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features:      sparse_super
Filesystem state:         not clean
Errors behavior:          Continue
Filesystem OS type:       Linux
Inode count:              770048
Block count:              1538215
Reserved block count:     76910
Free blocks:              481783
Free inodes:              14876
First block:              0
Block size:               4096
Fragment size:            4096
Blocks per group:         32768
Fragments per group:      32768
Inodes per group:         16384
Inode blocks per group:   512
Last mount time:          Sat May 26 10:39:10 2001
Last write time:          Tue May 29 12:11:54 2001
Mount count:              6
Maximum mount count:      20
Last checked:             Tue May 22 10:51:03 2001
Check interval:           15552000 (6 months)
Next check after:         Sun Nov 18 10:51:03 2001
Reserved blocks uid:      0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid:      0 (group root)
First inode:              11
Inode size:               128

--
※ 來源:•良美家族總寨 bbs.hiperfect.com•[FROM: yeskw-doghouse]

------------------------------

From: Christopher Fairbairn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.java,aus.computers.linux,comp.lang.java.programmer
Subject: JDK1.3 Under Linux
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:29:50 +1200

Hi,

I've been trying to at least a week now trying to get a properly working
Java environment on my Linux machine......

I tried installing Kaffe (from RPMs), and I've tried Sun's JDK (also from
RPMs).

The problem is not getting it to install, but getting it to work
afterwards.....

After installing Kaffe I had the following two problems:

1) Javadoc wouldn't work, sighting missing classes
2) I could process any source which made references to classes defined in
other files (even in the same directory).....

After also finding out that Kaffe doesn't support Swing (at least in its
downloaded form) I decided to give Sun's JDK a go....

Again the install went fine, the RPM mananger didn't complain.... but I
don't seem to have a working installation either.

To start with, simply typing java at the command shell gives me "command
not found".

Thinking it could simply be a missing path in my path string I tried
/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/java which gives me different output....

/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/java: /usr/bin/cut: No such file or directory
/usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error while loading shared
libraries: libjvm.so: cannot load share object file: No such file or
directory.

------------------------------

From: Christopher Fairbairn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: JDK1.3 Under Linux
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 20:37:43 +1200

Hi Again...

Christopher Fairbairn wrote:
> Thinking it could simply be a missing path in my path string I tried
> /usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/java which gives me different output....
>
> /usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/java: /usr/bin/cut: No such file or directory
> /usr/java/jdk1.3/bin/i386/native_threads/java: error while loading shared
> libraries: libjvm.so: cannot load share object file: No such file or
> directory.

Message To Self: Don't accidently press Alt-S......

As I was saying I can't get the Sun JDK1.3 working on my Linux Machine
(Redhat 7.1 based).

the sighted shared object, libjvm.so is locatable in many directories under
jre/lib/i386/, ie native_threads, green_threads, classic etal.

What post RPM install steps do I need to do to get a Java Development
Environment working?

Thanks,
Christopher Fairbairn

------------------------------

From: "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sensor module for via686 motherboard (K133A)
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:16:38 +0800
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc

Hi all, just upgraded to an Epox 8KTA3 mobo / 1Ghz AMD and can't find the
sensors module for this mobo in the kernel...

Running sensors-detect (lm_sensors rpm package) tells me to load the
kernel module via686a but this module is not in my distro (RH7.0).

Anyone using AMD/VIA K133A chipset and using temp sensors? Please help.

--
  Wayne A. Osborn, SCADA Engineer.[dnar AT iinet DOT net DOT au]
  Registered Linux User #212818.  [2.2.16-22-Win4Lin-686] [i686]

------------------------------

From: Dave Uhring <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnet/sendmail problem on RH7.1, why is everybody so quiet?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:21:51 -0500

The telnet server does not install by default because it is a security
problem.  The use of ssh is preferred.  If you want your machine to be a
telnet server then install the telnet server from the CD set and edit its
entry in /etc/xinetd.d to "disable = no".

------------------------------

From: "Frank D'Ariano" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Can't Telnet, FTP or Send Email to Linux Box
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 10:28:54 GMT

Greetings,

Thanks for your reply - here is a post I made from another thread; you
replied after I sent it..

I was able to get Telnet going and get to the FTP
login screen by following your advice.  Problem is that I can't
authenticate.  I'm getting a:

530 Login Incorrect.

I'm guessing it has to do with one of the ftp* files, but not sure exactly
what to change.

Frank

news:QfDQ6.57680$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "xhc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is there any vgetty set up How-To
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 18:45:52 +0800

Robert,
Thanks you for your information, by following the document it's work now.
But have some minor trouble, the first is creating the greeting message, I
think I can solve it by myself. The second one, may be you can help that is
in leaving message how to let modem know the message is stoped.

"Robert_L" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ?????
news:9ev73l$4b0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RedHat Certification: Worth it?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:51:02 -0400

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Mark Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I was thinking about getting my redhat certification in effect to get
> some so-called "real" hands on training by some "real" linux admins.
> Perhaps, I'm a bit naive.

The May 2001 issue of Certification Magzine has a feature on Linux certs.
 They talk about Sair, LPI, and RH cert tests.  Certmag.com I believe is
their website. They may have a little bit of info on the website but you
will probably have to buy the magazine.

------------------------------

From: "Glitch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problems with alsa
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 06:52:58 -0400

In article <InwQ6.9012$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Patrick
Brennan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have Red Hat 7 running on a Toshiba Satellite 1710 and have been
> trying to get ALSA to work as it offers support for the CS4281 sound
> card. On make I get a lot of error messages - most of which I don't
> understand but I believe my problem may lie in the following boot up
> messages from /var/log :- 1. Can't locate module sound-slot-0
> 2. Can't locate module sound-service-0-3 If I try to run sndconfig it
> simply tells me that the cs4281 card is not supported - presumably by
> OSS.
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> patrick

You should not have attempted a reboot if you got errors during the Make
process. It essentialy is a waste of time.

Did the make process go okay or not? If not post the errors you received.

You wil need to fix those before you attempt to fix the errors you
received at boot (which is probably due to the fact you didn't edit
/etc/modules.conf like the ALSA docs tell you to).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Leherbauer)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Sensor module for via686 motherboard (K133A)
Date: 29 May 2001 10:58:54 GMT

"Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all, just upgraded to an Epox 8KTA3 mobo / 1Ghz AMD and can't find the
> sensors module for this mobo in the kernel...
>
> Running sensors-detect (lm_sensors rpm package) tells me to load the
> kernel module via686a but this module is not in my distro (RH7.0).
>
> Anyone using AMD/VIA K133A chipset and using temp sensors? Please help.

I'm using kernel 2.2.16 on an MSI K7T Pro mobo (VIA KT133 chipset).
I fetched lm_sensors and i2c from http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/,
compiled and installed them separately as modules, then did

> modprobe i2c-isa
> modprobe via686a

> cat /proc/modules
via686a                 8032   0
sensors                 5916   0 [via686a]
i2c-isa                 1212   0 (unused)
i2c-core               12796   0 [via686a sensors i2c-isa]

> sensors
via686a-isa-6000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Algorithm: ISA algorithm
CPU Core:  +1.73 V  (min =  +1.67 V, max =  +2.18 V)
     I/O:  +3.28 V  (min =  +2.97 V, max =  +3.49 V)
     5 V:  +4.89 V  (min =  +4.45 V, max =  +5.49 V)
    12 V: +12.52 V  (min = +11.45 V, max = +12.76 V)
CPU Fan:  5273 RPM  (min = 3000 RPM, div = 2)
CPU Temp: +41.1哽   (limit = +50哽, hysteresis = +60哽)
SYS Temp: +34.2哽   (limit = +40哽, hysteresis = +45哽)
SBr Temp: +23.8哽   (limit = +30哽, hysteresis = +35哽)

---
Joe Leherbauer             Leherbauer at telering dot at
                           Registered Linux user number 215803

"Somewhere something incredible is waiting to be known."
                                 -- Isaac Asimov

------------------------------

From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen?= Diez <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kmix only works wothg root logged in
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 13:09:14 +0200

Hi there

I've the problem that kmix works really fine, when I startet my kde as root.
But if I start kde as a normal user, I get a blank kmix window.
I tried to copy the roots kmixrc file to the users config directory, but
then kmix displays:
Invalid Mixer "Sound Blaster"
I've the same sound settings in both environments. Of course this is due to
a wrong set permission. But I don't know which file is set wrong.
the arts server and xmms works also on both environments, but as normal
user I can't change the volume...

--
*** replace '-antspam-' by 'uni' ***

------------------------------

From: "Bobby D. Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 05:40:13 +0600

In article <9evvde$ofr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Joe
Leherbauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Wayne Osborn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi all, just upgraded to an Epox 8KTA3 mobo / 1Ghz AMD and can't find
>> the sensors module for this mobo in the kernel...
>>
>> Running sensors-detect (lm_sensors rpm package) tells me to load the
>> kernel module via686a but this module is not in my distro (RH7.0).
>>
>> Anyone using AMD/VIA K133A chipset and using temp sensors? Please
>> help.
>
> I'm using kernel 2.2.16 on an MSI K7T Pro mobo (VIA KT133 chipset). I
> fetched lm_sensors and i2c from http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/,
> compiled and installed them separately as modules, then did

I did the same for an 8KTA3 mobo and various versions of the 2.4.*
kernels, except that i2c is built in to 2.4, so I only had to fetch
lm_sensors.  IIRC, I just removed the lm_sensors RPM before installing
the kit that I downloaded from the site that you mentioned.

Wayne, I'm curious about your expericenes with that mobo, though. I and
a number of other people on linux-kernel have had nothing but trouble
with it, and Alan Cox has all but given up on getting it fixed without
a hint from VIA about what the problem is.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

------------------------------

From: 203.126.136.170 [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Subject: dhcpd-isc
Date: 29 May 2001 10:58:31 GMT

Dear all,

I am trying to setup a DHCP server by using "dhcpd-isc".  However,
after setting it up, I found it unable to assign an IP to a DHCP
client and gave out the following messages:

DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.1.150 from 00:50:da:87:8f:12 via eth0
DHCPACK on 192.168.1.150 to 00:50:da:87:8f:12 via eth0
send_packet_sock: Unknown error 101

I can ensure that the DHCP client works as it can get an IP from
another DHCP server.  Would anybody tell me what the problem is and
how to solve it?  Thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
Page

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IDE Plexwriter/ nothing in /mnt/cdrom fstab?
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:00:21 -0400

sleepy wrote:

> FSTAB

> /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,rwx 0 0

This looks kosher... however,

> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc 0 0

What the heck is this? I've never heard of a "supermount" filesystem.
Is this something Mandrake-specific? In any case, this looks like
you're mounting a directory on itself, overriding the mount done
above. Unless someone can advise differently, I'd try removing this
line from /etc/fstab and see if it makes a difference.

> MTAB
> /dev/hdb6 / ext2 rw 0 0
> none /proc proc rw 0 0
> none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/scd0 0 0
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
> /proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw,devmode=0664,devgid=43 0 0
> /mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
> /mnt/cdrom /mnt/plexcdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/hdc 0 0

Do you have any contents in your /mnt/plexcdrom directory? According
to this, the system thinks there's a device /mnt/cdrom mounted on that
directory. Curious.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

From: Kjell Andersson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ADSL and linux ??
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 14:01:46 +0200

Hi every one !
I'm about to get ADSL service at home does anybody know where i can get
some info on how set my RedHat 7.1 box up to make it work ?

Best regards Kjell Andersson

------------------------------

From: Steve Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: getting linux to recognize NTFS
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 08:07:05 -0400

Kenny McCormack wrote:
> >>             mount /dev/sda1 /win2000 -t ntfs
> >>
> >> but I get the message that 'ntfs' is an invalid type.
> >>

> >load the ntfs.o module?
> >But don't even think about writing to that partition
>
> Why do you keep saying that?  The fact is that it does work, most of the
> time, under NT4/NTFS4, so as long as your backups are kept current (as
> they, of course, should be), what's the big deal?

Well, one good reason to say that is that the kernel source explicitly
says that the "experimental" NTFS writing support is, ahem,
"experimental", "not very well tested", and "DANGEROUS" (their
capitalization, not mine). Sounds to me like a thing to avoid
if you have data you care about on your NT partition.

I do find it interesting that NT4SP4+ encrypts the partition...
I'm running SP6 here, and noticed nothing. Must be optional,
like you said.

** FOR YOUR REFERENCE **

    Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You can send mail to the entire list by posting to comp.os.linux.setup.

End of Linux-Setup Digest